Author Topic: suggestions for good 00's-style scissor switch keyboard  (Read 2364 times)

Offline wideyes

suggestions for good 00's-style scissor switch keyboard
« on: Fri, 27 July 2018, 02:03:02 »
I'm in the market for a quiet-ish keyboard, and since I've always liked scissor switches, I'm wanting to go with them for this purchase. Trouble is, lots of the scissor-switch keyboards these days are in styles I don't like, such as chiclet or the ultra-shallow Apple keyboards. I remember there were a lot of PC laptop keyboards in the mid 00's that had nice scissor switches, and I liked them. I have a Lenovo T520 with keycaps that I like (square with very little space in between), but I find them too stiff and the travel a touch too deep for my tastes. Anybody recommend a nice standalone board with medium-shallow travel, light actuation, older-style square keycaps and scissor switches? Thanks in advance :)

Offline Giorgio

Re: suggestions for good 00's-style scissor switch keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 27 July 2018, 02:11:03 »
What you mean with "styles I don't like, such as chiclet or the ultra-shallow Apple keyboards".
The apple a1243 is a very good and silent keyboard. I've used it for ages. Travel distance is 2mm, but as many studies have shown, the travel distance has no effect on wpm, but it actually fatigues less than a 4mm travel keyboard.
« Last Edit: Fri, 27 July 2018, 02:37:13 by Giorgio »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 27 July 2018, 07:58:28 »
Travel distance doesn't affect -Ultimate WPM-

the Max potential by (Any) User.

However,   less travel makes typing easier to time.

Offline JianYang

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 27 July 2018, 08:19:00 »
Travel distance doesn't affect -Ultimate WPM-

the Max potential by (Any) User.

However,   less travel makes typing easier to time.

I don't think I follow, do you mean to say that crossing of time zones will make the measuring of time elapsed more difficult?  :p

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 27 July 2018, 08:34:58 »

I don't think I follow, do you mean to say that crossing of time zones will make the measuring of time elapsed more difficult?  :p

Well as you know time moves faster with higher elevation.

The closer we are to the earth body,  the faster we accomplish our Typing.

This is the speed b00ster effect involving Einstein's relativity.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 27 July 2018, 13:32:04 »
IBM and Lenovo used to offer an older style scissor switch for enterprise use, just search Lenovo Keyboard on Ebay and look for what looks like a laptop keyboard in a case.

And hang onto your wallet.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline Riverman

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 27 July 2018, 13:35:20 »
The Cherry Stream 3.0 is a pretty typical full-size scissor switch keyboard with normal sized keys.  You could also try to find a used Logitech DiNovo for Laptaps or their older Illuminated Keyboard.  They both had normal keycaps and scissor switch mechanisms with a slightly longer travel (Perfect Stroke).  I thought they were the best to type on, short of mechanical keyboards, and they're very quiet.  I picked a decent condition Illuminated Keyboard at my local Goodwill for $5.00 recently.