Author Topic: How often should you restart your PC?  (Read 21098 times)

Offline jinq-sea

Re: How often should you restart your PC?
« Reply #50 on: Tue, 11 November 2014, 08:00:15 »
To be honest, now with SSDs, I turn my desktop off when I'm not using it (plus, it's greener). The Mac in the studio just goes to sleep when I am not using it, and only gets rebooted when Logic starts acting up...

Offline tbc

« Reply #51 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 16:31:05 »
people that never restart their windows machines explains the insane amount of malware infections....
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #52 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 19:36:23 »
people that never restart their windows machines explains the insane amount of malware infections....

People running Windows machines in the first place explains the insane amount of malware infections ... :p
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #53 on: Mon, 17 November 2014, 10:37:37 »

That's just plain not true. I rarely ever reboot my computer and strictly monitor all network traffic in and out of my router, as well as all processes running on my system (including using a couple tricks to expose rootkit-type processes). In over 15 years of working with and using computers, I've had precisely one infection (and that was 14 years ago).

Offline SpikeBolt

• √(4) != -2
« Reply #54 on: Wed, 19 November 2014, 09:22:10 »

People running Windows machines in the first place explains the insane amount of malware infections ... :p

That's just plain not true. I rarely ever reboot my computer and strictly monitor all network traffic in and out of my router, as well as all processes running on my system (including using a couple tricks to expose rootkit-type processes). In over 15 years of working with and using computers, I've had precisely one infection (and that was 14 years ago).

It is possible to spread malware to every OS, it's just less time consuming to produce it for the 90% of the people on earth. I own PC and Mac, lets try not to be biased about it :P

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #55 on: Thu, 27 November 2014, 07:52:12 »
Once a week is about right for Win7. Older builds of WinDoze I'd say daily.

Linux, you restart it when you upgrade the hardware.

That said, I don't leave my PC running, why waste the power? Unless it's winter and it's cold where you live and electricity is cheaper / as cheap as the other ways you warm your house.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline Geroximo

« Reply #56 on: Thu, 27 November 2014, 15:47:30 »
Just ... Wow ... wtf !?

Why would you leave the computer running while not using it!?
Are you too lazy to turn it off?
Cannot wait 2 minutes for booting?
Don't know that this thing is using electricity, and you have to pay for it?

I'm turning the computer on when I need it, and I'm turning it off when I stop working on it (for a longer period of time, otherwise sleepmode)
Seems to be common sense to me ...

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #57 on: Thu, 27 November 2014, 15:55:58 »
Just ... Wow ... wtf !?

Are you too lazy to turn it off?
Cannot wait 2 minutes for booting?
Don't know that this thing is using electricity, and you have to pay for it?

I'm turning the computer on when I need it, and I'm turning it off when I stop working on it (for a longer period of time, otherwise sleepmode)
Seems to be common sense to me ...

wellllllll.... 8 years ago.. it would've been quite wasteful to leave the PC on.

But... these days.. you're looking at less than 20 watt for some of the low power builds..  so... that really doesn't add up to much relative to the rest of your gizmos.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #58 on: Thu, 27 November 2014, 15:59:05 »
Ever heard of suspend to RAM/disk/both? What about remote connection? What about hardware designed to run 24/7?

Offline jamster

« Reply #59 on: Tue, 06 January 2015, 10:20:53 »
I shut my home desktop down as soon as I know I wont need it for the next hour... kind of the same way I turn my water taps off after washing my hands. It sucks 80W at idle, not much but why burn the energy needlessly?

My work PC is on all the time for remote access. I turn off the monitors at the end of the day.

Low power home server in on 24x7 as it's regularly connected to a couple of other sites overseas. Burns 40W.

Offline meztek

• Keyboards! Keyboards everywhere!
« Reply #60 on: Thu, 08 January 2015, 19:40:40 »
That means: I turn my computer off every night and back on the next day. If it weren't for the wife and kids, I would do the same for the modem and router.

I do the same thing, actually I only turn my computer on when I need to use it.  The electricity cost of keeping it on all the time when I am not even using it is too darn high.  Plus, then I'd be paying for something when I am not even using it.

P.S. I'm in my 20s, this is not an old man thing. Unless I'm actually a weird and paranoid young man and too young to realise it of course.  :eek:

Offline sethk_

• Grand Master Wizard Pizza
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #61 on: Thu, 08 January 2015, 21:39:41 »
I restart mine once about a month, but the longest uptime I have gone was about 70 days. My dad was running a server in our basement on an old laptop and the longest it was up for was over 1000 days.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #62 on: Thu, 08 January 2015, 23:20:46 »
I have a hackintosh so if I don't boot OSX once a day it gets mad.  ^-^
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline pro_LAPSE

• However, rays of nuclear!
« Reply #63 on: Tue, 13 January 2015, 00:10:07 »
I restart daily.

that being said, older HDD's can take on quite a bit of wear and tear by going through thousands of heat cycles throughout their lives. But I bet the electricity bill will be more expensive for leaving it on than the cost of a new HDD.

chopstick cruelty bleeds Aritzia creme.

Offline TacticalCoder

« Reply #64 on: Tue, 13 January 2015, 08:03:28 »

Because I'm a professional and it's my main tool and I don't want to waste time.  Although my system may "boot" in less than twenty seconds, I'd then need to: launch my favorite text editor + open all the files I was working on, launch my IDE (IntelliJ IDEA) + open all the files I was working on, launch the three browsers I'm using (in three different user accounts) + re-open all the tabs that were open, launch the VMs that are running, re-open the network connection to remote servers (SSH), etc.  :thumb:

I could script all that to re-open automatically but it would take quite a while to come all back up.

Not to mention automated backup happening at night and being SCP'ed automatically to remote servers.

I've got an 80+ gold certified alim or whatever the norm is and my PC at full-speed (100% usage on all cores) is dissipating so few energy that it has a passive cooler (no fan).  It is so quiet while running that at first I'd sometimes turn it off thinking it was off, etc.  At idle that thing is consuming next to nothing.

By the way: I own a very old Nokia 6110 or something like that (a dumbphone).  That thing hardly consume any energy and can stay on for three weeks without needing to be plugged and is perfect for giving/receiving phone calls/text messages and is a fine alarm clock.  Why do you even own a smartphone?  :o

Regarding the tap water analogy: I think it actually makes a very strong case for leaving the PC idling with all its software / windows / tabs open instead of turning everything off ... When you turn it on you get water instantly.  Not after two minutes.  Not after twenty seconds.  ;)
HHKB Pro JP (daily driver) -- HHKB Pro 2 -- Industrial IBM Model M 1395240-- NIB Cherry MX 5000 - IBM Model M 1391412 (Swiss QWERTZ) -- IBM Model M 1391403 (German QWERTZ) * 2 -- IBM Model M Ambra -- Black IBM Model M M13 -- IBM Model M 1391401 -- IBM Model M 139? ? ? *2 -- Dell AT102W -- Ergo (split) SmartBoard (white ALPS apparently)

Offline jamster

« Reply #65 on: Mon, 19 January 2015, 09:52:51 »
At a risk of going off on a tangent:

The tap analogy was mine. I was using it to try make a point not about convenience, but rather about using non-renewable resources- in a fair chunk of the developed world water overuse permanently damages underground aquafiers, similarly the bulk of our electricity comes from non renewable sources (70% of US power is from fossil fuels).

I guess a better analogy might be that I don't leave the *hot* water tap running all the time, just to save the 60 or so seconds it takes for hot water to start coming out the faucet (and that 60 seconds really does bug me!). My time has some value (I leave my work PC on, and at home I leave things like wifi on all the time), but at home I'm a little more relaxed, a little more concious of power bills, and a little more concious that I have kids who are going to inherit problems of my generation's creation.

Also, I kind of find the whole bootup and login process strangely relaxing (as long as it's SSD) at home. Yeah, I know that sounds weird.

« Last Edit: Mon, 19 January 2015, 09:55:22 by jamster »

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #66 on: Mon, 19 January 2015, 10:44:55 »
Since I use my PC as a TeamSpeak server, an FTP server, and a web server, I try to keep it running at all times. Meaning I only restart if Steam is being a **** and won't launch my games. Which happens so frequently, I restart about once a week.
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline XMIT

• formerly jsoltren
« Reply #67 on: Wed, 28 January 2015, 11:09:30 »
Never, if I can help it. Some friends from college even started a company (KSplice, now an Oracle company) to apply Linux kernel updates in flight.

I don't want to start an uptime contest but my work Linux workstation tells me:

jsoltren@lonestar:~$ uptime
 11:06:12 up 225 days,  2:01, 17 users,  load average: 0.57, 1.16, 1.25

Granted, my employer pays the electric bill.

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #68 on: Wed, 28 January 2015, 19:34:11 »
Turn off when I go to bed, turn on after work/after I cook dinner, etc.

I have my MacBook Air floating around my apartment which is always doing whatever it does when the lid is closed, so I really use that a majority of the time.

The only thing that bugs me about it is from what I understand it is better for HDDs to spin continuously instead of start/stop regularly. However I haven't had any issues in years so maybe it's not so bad if they're kept running cool and under moderate load.
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #69 on: Wed, 28 January 2015, 19:41:04 »
Turn off when I go to bed, turn on after work/after I cook dinner, etc.

I have my MacBook Air floating around my apartment which is always doing whatever it does when the lid is closed, so I really use that a majority of the time.

The only thing that bugs me about it is from what I understand it is better for HDDs to spin continuously instead of start/stop regularly. However I haven't had any issues in years so maybe it's not so bad if they're kept running cool and under moderate load.

macbook air doesn't have a spinner, does it?

But.. the thing about the spinning drives is..   Heating and COoling isn't good,  and starting voltage isn't good for the circuits..

But.. my media drives will spin up 2 times per day total..  they're rated for 5000-10000 starts..  so it's gonna be a WHILE..

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #70 on: Wed, 28 January 2015, 19:42:33 »

But.. the thing about the spinning drives is..   Heating and COoling isn't good,  and starting voltage isn't good for the circuits..

But.. my media drives will spin up 2 times per day total..  they're rated for 5000-10000 starts..  so it's gonna be a WHILE..
\

Nah the MBA is an SSD, was talking about my desktop PC. Yeah with what they're rated for there probably isn't actually anything to worry about.
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #71 on: Thu, 29 January 2015, 14:07:57 »

\

Nah the MBA is an SSD, was talking about my desktop PC. Yeah with what they're rated for there probably isn't actually anything to worry about.

Yeah that's if you were to spin it down after every file retrieval, or such.  Once a day shutting it down isn't going to do anything.  It's similar to the idea that you're not supposed to start up your car too frequently, meaning every 20 minutes (or less maybe); once a day is fine.

Note: I am not an expert.

Offline Grill3dCh33z

« Reply #72 on: Fri, 30 January 2015, 15:33:16 »
I seem to turn mine off every other night. The nights I don't turn it off, it goes into sleep mode after 3 to 4 hours (sometimes I have things downloading that I want to finish before I wake up).

I shut my monitor off every single time I get up from my chair though.