Author Topic: Long Travel vs Short Travel  (Read 14287 times)

Offline donnghia

Long Travel vs Short Travel
« on: Mon, 26 August 2019, 09:27:41 »
which one do you prefer and why?

many typing guys think short travel is better for fast typing while other one to feel the key by longer travel

also many prefer short travel for gaming...

what is your reason?

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: Long Travel vs Short Travel
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 26 August 2019, 09:56:03 »
I like short travel and tactility so that I don't have to bottom out.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline equalunique

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 26 August 2019, 16:28:51 »
Anything to prevent bottom out.

High/short actation, but long travel. My dream switch is 1.4mm actuation kailh speed gold stem inside a housing with something like 6mm travel lol.

Sent from my Ono-Sendai Cyberspace 7 using Tapatalk

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 29 August 2019, 21:16:15 »
I've always wondered why Cherry chose 4mm for travel. It seems like an arbitrary number. What research was behind this?

I think one of the main reasons I enjoy alternate tactile switches like Pro Purple and even BOX Brown is that they have 3.6mm travel. Even if I bottom-out, I'm using less energy on the up/down-stroke. I find that they just feel faster.

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 30 August 2019, 11:12:56 »
I've always wondered why Cherry chose 4mm for travel. It seems like an arbitrary number. What research was behind this?

I think one of the main reasons I enjoy alternate tactile switches like Pro Purple and even BOX Brown is that they have 3.6mm travel. Even if I bottom-out, I'm using less energy on the up/down-stroke. I find that they just feel faster.

It's probably by feel through focus group testing.

They probably got a bunch of dudes in a room, ask them to try out a few different depths,  and poll, "which one feels good".

So 4mm is probably the point where the user FEELS like he's pressed a button.

Because that's been the main complaint of shallow keebs like the macbook, you press it, but it doesn't feel like you've buttoned.

Offline Benitone

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 30 August 2019, 11:59:01 »
I'd like to test cherry mx speed switches with o-rings, not for the higher actuation point, but because they have globally a shorter travel.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 30 August 2019, 12:51:37 »

High/short actation, but long travel. My dream switch is 1.4mm actuation kailh speed gold stem inside a housing with something like 6mm travel lol.

Try out some SKCC green alps, man.  Pingmaster is cheapest/easiest way to get them. It's a linear switch, but quite a bit of travel and early-ish actuation. 

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 30 August 2019, 12:54:33 »
So many people who hate bottoming out.  Interesting.

It's not something I've every really worried about, but I guess I kinda get it.  This is likely the main reason why I like stock MX clears.  I love how the spring gets quite heavy at the end, almost preventing bottoming out.  Try them if that's your thing.

Offline Kevadu

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 30 August 2019, 16:30:16 »
Halo True is the best switch for avoiding bottoming out.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 30 August 2019, 16:34:14 »
Halo True is the best switch for avoiding bottoming out.

What do you think about Halo clears?  I prefer them to trues because of the stiffer spring further into the press, like Cherry clears.

Offline Kevadu

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 30 August 2019, 17:03:55 »
Halo Clears have a more traditional MX Clear-like spring but the True spring has very minimal preload so they start a bit lighter and then they get significantly heavier by the end of the travel.  They're actually about 20g heavier on bottom out than Clears even though they're actually lighter at the beginning.

Offline rxc92

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 30 August 2019, 17:26:18 »
I've typed on Clear switches for most of the time and switched over to Hako trues; they're more tactile than Halos or Clears and excellent for avoiding bottoming out. However, they're pretty heavy.

Offline Stupidface

• Looks like I picked the wrong week to joinGeekhack
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 31 August 2019, 07:28:32 »
which one do you prefer and why?

Does it necessarily have to be one or the other?  Perhaps different occasions call for different keyswitches.

what is your reason?

Short-travel Cherry ML switches for light bouts of typing (e.g. surfing) because they are crisp and snappy*.

Long-travel Buckling Spring switches for serious, hours-long typing sessions.

*They are on my well-worn keyboard, anyway.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 31 August 2019, 19:47:41 »
Short travel , want to type fast

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 17 July 2023, 06:09:17 »
short travel is just more comfortable since you don't need to lift your wrists as high with a long travel board. I really like low profile choc switches and they are also pretty nice for gaming.
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline Rhienfo

• Why is everything I want here so expensive :(
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 17 July 2023, 08:46:35 »
I'm not to fussed about travel distance honestly, strictly mx at least, I have used both shorter and longer distances and while I prefer shorter distances I can still enjoy and can type on standard 4mm travel.

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 03 August 2023, 12:54:06 »
This interesting. Thing is I love bottoming out, so maybe I don't care about travel length.
I guess people are not botomming out when they touch time really fast. I don't, that is why I like to hit them hard :D
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Drop CSTM80 | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline Prince Valiant

« Reply #17 on: Sat, 05 August 2023, 09:33:52 »
This interesting. Thing is I love bottoming out, so maybe I don't care about travel length.
I guess people are not botomming out when they touch time really fast. I don't, that is why I like to hit them hard :D
I think I tend to bottom out or come close most of the time, especially when I'm typing faster. I prefer longer travel than shorter though, as I find it more comfortable.

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #18 on: Sat, 05 August 2023, 16:29:24 »
Yeah, I prefer to have longer travel and press hard to the bottom, than miss a character.
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Drop CSTM80 | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline juliday

• Synth, Controller, and Keyboard
    • SagakLabs
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 25 August 2023, 04:22:32 »
I wonder if the travel distance feel different according to the chassis??
I felt big difference from the same switches on different housing.

Offline mohawk1367

• Typing on: HHKB Pro Hybrid Type-S
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 30 August 2023, 09:22:09 »
For gaming, I set my actuation to like 1.8mm usually.
For typing tests, I use a laptop LOL.
For personal enjoyment, I like long travel switches.
« Last Edit: Tue, 12 September 2023, 08:50:50 by mohawk1367 »
someone needs to make an aussie keyboard community called QMƎɹ┴⅄. get it? haha :D

Offline dunsparth

« Reply #21 on: Thu, 07 September 2023, 12:46:49 »
I prefer long travel as i like the way it feels more.
I am a much faster typist when using short travel switches tho.

Offline Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 07 September 2023, 15:26:14 »
I'm all about the full 4mm travel at least when it comes to MX switches, anything shorter feels awkward to me & causes me to make a ton of typos. For me the main reason I prefer 4mm travel is I have become so used to that, that I just barely bottom out when using full travel switches. Long pole or speed switches feel to abrupt to me & I tend to bottom out hard on them. I'm sure if I gave long poles another go I could get used to shorter travel as I had a couple builds with Holy Pandas I got used to. Although I either got rid of them or haven't touched them since switching over to using mainly linear switches. Actual now that I'm thinking about it I guess the tactile event of a tactile or clicky switch helps me a ton with not bottoming out hard on reduced travel switches. However I heavily prefer linear switches nowadays, am not a fan of the sound of long pole switches, & never liked any speed switch I have tried. To each their own though, since long pole linears seem to be the most popular switch type nowadays.
« Last Edit: Thu, 07 September 2023, 15:32:27 by Rob27shred »

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #23 on: Thu, 07 September 2023, 21:06:54 »
I've had long, medium, short and really short...
In most cases, how the switch goes about it matters more than the travel after a slight adjustment phase.

The one exception is super short travel, there's some laptop boards with super short travel where typing on them is a horrible experience. no amount of damping or tactility would save it.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline Rhienfo

• Why is everything I want here so expensive :(
« Reply #24 on: Thu, 07 September 2023, 22:24:05 »
there's some laptop boards with super short travel where typing on them is a horrible experience. no amount of damping or tactility would save it.

That actually might be why I prefer short travel a bit more, because I've used laptops for most of my life when it comes to keyboards. I think that also might be why I still quite like apple scissor swtiches, just because I am so used to it.

Offline mohawk1367

• Typing on: HHKB Pro Hybrid Type-S
« Reply #25 on: Wed, 13 September 2023, 08:58:29 »

why do some hate bottoming out? is it an ergonomic thing? like the sharp force makes ur fingers hurt or something?
someone needs to make an aussie keyboard community called QMƎɹ┴⅄. get it? haha :D

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #26 on: Wed, 13 September 2023, 20:21:50 »
why do some hate bottoming out? is it an ergonomic thing? like the sharp force makes ur fingers hurt or something?

A harsh bottom out is actually not really healthy for your finger joints but for me noise is also a consideration.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion