Author Topic: Yo, F*CK the DMV!  (Read 3492 times)

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
Yo, F*CK the DMV!
« on: Tue, 11 September 2012, 08:15:45 »
Sitting in the middle of the DMV to register my new (used) car. Bored as f*ck, nothing better to do than rant on about it. And of course, the DMV computers are down statewide for at least a half hour... F*CK!!!!! >:(

End of rant.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk 2
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline ra7c7er

Re: Yo, F*CK the DMV!
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 11 September 2012, 08:22:39 »
Can't be worse than here. the local DMV that is less than a 5 minute drive from my house is so slow that it is faster for me to drive 30 miles to another one and do all my DMV stuff there. Not even kidding twice I got a line number then gave it to another person and left for the other DMV. both times I made it there did my stuff and got back and the person with my number was still waiting. 

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 11 September 2012, 08:52:00 »
We do it all online or via post in the UK :D

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 11 September 2012, 09:40:09 »
We do it all online or via post in the UK :D
Lucky... I wish American DMVs would make it so you can do it all online.  But that's probably not going to happen for another 5-10 years...
tp thread is tp thread

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 11 September 2012, 09:40:53 »
You're being optimistic, at least in regard to CT.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 11 September 2012, 09:52:38 »
You're being optimistic, at least in regard to CT.
You're right, it probably won't happen here for another 25 years...
tp thread is tp thread

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 11 September 2012, 10:10:35 »
In the county where I live, there are half a dozen offices. I am very lucky that the one most convenient to me is also the quickest.

Even more lucky, in Georgia, after the first time, most license renewals can be done through the mail.

We just got my daughter's learner's permit, and it was quite painless. It took two visits to an office 15 minutes from my house, the first time it took an hour and that should have been enough, but we forgot something and had to go back a second time for half an hour.

I was careful to time and choose my visits (eg on a rainy Tuesday afternoon) to avoid the crowds.

But I shouldn't gloat - I hate long lines, too.

"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline alaricljs

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 11 September 2012, 10:15:59 »
Here's an example of my experiences in CT... Wait in line for 30 minutes to get the required forms and a wait in another line ticket.  Fill out forms for a motorcycle learner's permit.  Wait for 2 hours to get called up.  Get up there and get told this is not what you needed to do, here's what you need and another ticket.  Wait an hour and notice that when I get called up *no one* had been at that service desk prior to my being called to it.  Get to the desk give the forms and tell them what I am trying to get.  Ooooh, these are the wrong forms.  Go to that window and give her this slip of paper.  Go to window, hand over slip, get picture taken, receive full-blown motorcycle license.

WTF?  It took forever and they did it wrong, I'm not complaining too much tho since it saved me some money and another day off to get the license I shouldn't have already gotten.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 11 September 2012, 10:30:03 »
Connecticut is just an awful state to live in, really... the cost of living is just soo damn high.
tp thread is tp thread

Offline boost

• BOSTMOBILE
  • * Elevated Elder
  • NY Giants!!!
Re: Re: Yo, F*CK the DMV!
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 11 September 2012, 14:24:46 »
Connecticut is just an awful state to live in, really... the cost of living is just soo damn high.

Bull****, its cheaper then NYC
"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines."

-Enzo Ferrari

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • "DO NOT BRING YOUR EVIL HERE." -Swamp Thing
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 11 September 2012, 17:35:00 »
DMV's in New York used to be a lot worse than they are now. Back when I first started driving there was always some nasty government worker who would make you stand in one line, and then when you went to the next line with a colored slip of paper. The exchange would go something like this:

Me: "Hello!"
Worker: (frowns)
(I hand them a blue slip of paper that I was told to fill out.)
(Worker holds it up by a corner, as though it were a crap-filled diaper.)
Worker: "This is not pink." + (looks at me as though I am the world's dumbest man to even think of bringing her the blue form)
Me: "... was it supposed to be?"
Worker: "... go over to that line."
Me: "Is there a-"
Worker: "Next!"

I wanted to jump on top of the desks and scream, "ALL OF YOU PEOPLE TOGETHER ... DON'T EQUAL ONE BRAIN!"

But now it's much better.

As though I would know the arcane inner workings of the DMV. I was give
GeekHack Artwork Resources | The Living GeekHack Logo Thread | Signature Plastics ABS Chip Scanning Project | Krog Flocks Around | Keyboard Color Scheme Archive | [GB] PBT DyeSub DSA Granite Set
More
Quote from: Samuel Adams
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 11 September 2012, 17:38:40 »
DMV's in New York used to be a lot worse than they are now. Back when I first started driving there was always some nasty government worker who would make you stand in one line, and then when you went to the next line with a colored slip of paper. The exchange would go something like this:

Me: "Hello!"
Worker: (frowns)
(I hand them a blue slip of paper that I was told to fill out.)
(Worker holds it up by a corner, as though it were a crap-filled diaper.)
Worker: "This is not pink." + (looks at me as though I am the world's dumbest man to even think of bringing her the blue form)
Me: "... was it supposed to be?"
Worker: "... go over to that line."
Me: "Is there a-"
Worker: "Next!"

I wanted to jump on top of the desks and scream, "ALL OF YOU PEOPLE TOGETHER ... DON'T EQUAL ONE BRAIN!"

But now it's much better.

As though I would know the arcane inner workings of the DMV. I was give
This. I almost reached that point myself today... I was pissed off because I had to drive all the way back home to get the one thing I forgot to bring with me.
tp thread is tp thread

Offline Appeac

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 11 September 2012, 17:41:36 »
Amen! Last time I went in there to get a plate, they took Mastercard only, since I only have Visa cards, they directed me to the ATM which had a $5.00 withdrawal charge. If my credit union didn't refund other atm fees, I'd have been a lot more pissed.
FC660C
122 Terminal M w/ Soarer board

Offline Trent

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 11 September 2012, 19:45:15 »

Funny joke.  Chicago.  Stop complaining.
Quote from: Trent
I hate fun
IBM Model M | IBM Model M SSK | FK-2000 | FK-8000 | FK-9000 | Fujitsu Peerless | Zenith Data Systems (Yellow ALPS!) | AEK

Offline alaricljs

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 11 September 2012, 20:40:17 »
You people that keep mentioning *cities* in response to us saying the entire state of CT... for real?  We're talking about the entire state!  There are places it's not terribly expensive, but then you have to spend all the money you saved and then some in order to get to a place to work at.
« Last Edit: Tue, 11 September 2012, 21:00:17 by alaricljs »
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 11 September 2012, 20:47:07 »
In all my years of going to those places...I've seen ONE hot girl. And she was with her mother. But I still took pics.

My hypothesis: Hot girls have other people do their dirty work.
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 11 September 2012, 21:17:07 »
^ROFL! When I received my licence earlier this summer twas about an hour wait. The lady that served my number handed her cigarette to the local bum when coming into work. Ew.

Offline Trent

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 12 September 2012, 00:35:30 »
The DMV has become an event.  Wake up at 6am, get there right when they open on Saturday, you won't have any problems.  Go to the DMV at 2pm on a Saturday, you're gonna have a bad time.

That being said, bring your phone, tablet and chillax like I do.
Quote from: Trent
I hate fun
IBM Model M | IBM Model M SSK | FK-2000 | FK-8000 | FK-9000 | Fujitsu Peerless | Zenith Data Systems (Yellow ALPS!) | AEK

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 12 September 2012, 10:16:54 »
The DMV has become an event.  Wake up at 6am, get there right when they open on Saturday, you won't have any problems.  Go to the DMV at 2pm on a Saturday, you're gonna have a bad time.

That being said, bring your phone, tablet and chillax like I do.
I got there a half hour before it opened yesterday.  I was fourth in line. Within ten minutes the line was twenty people long. No joke, it was twenty people long and they hadn't even opened yet. As my boredom began to increase exponentially, my patience began to decrease, exponentially.  Hence the existence of this thread...
tp thread is tp thread

Offline MMB

• I no longer use this account. Please email me.
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 12 September 2012, 14:47:07 »
First world problems :)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 12 September 2012, 19:05:52 »
In NJ, our dmv is called MVC. LOLOL

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 12 September 2012, 19:07:08 »
I am glad that I live in the UK!

Offline Appeac

« Reply #22 on: Thu, 13 September 2012, 08:58:45 »
I am glad that I live in the UK!

Paying £20/hr for lessons isn't my cup of tea either!
FC660C
122 Terminal M w/ Soarer board

Offline trentva

« Reply #23 on: Tue, 06 November 2012, 08:45:25 »
takes so long every time i go

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #24 on: Tue, 06 November 2012, 14:15:24 »
At least in TX, we only have to go every 10-15 years.  The renewals can be done online.

That's mighty ****ing progressive of Texas.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 06 November 2012, 14:22:40 »
What mister stallion said.  I know where DMV and tax office is (that's where renewals take place), but if I don't forget and let it expire, I don't ever have to step foot in one.

You should see if a grocery store can do that.  Here in TX, a couple different ones can do registration at the cust service desk.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #26 on: Thu, 08 November 2012, 07:49:58 »
You should see if a grocery store can do that.  Here in TX, a couple different ones can do registration at the cust service desk.

That's definitely a great service.  I take advantage of renewing at the grocery store when I forget to renew my registration online.