Author Topic: JAVA OUPS - Patch your JAVA to 7 update 13 ASAP  (Read 1190 times)

Offline BucklingSpring

JAVA OUPS - Patch your JAVA to 7 update 13 ASAP
« on: Sat, 02 February 2013, 19:08:44 »
http://hothardware.com/News/Oracles-Latest-Java-Patch-Contains-Huge-Security-Flaw-Update-of-50-Fixes/

Dunno if you live in a cave but if you do -  Couple of weeks ago, Oracle/Java was all over the news regarding major security flaws.
2 days later, they released Java 7 update 11... Most of us thought it was addressing the flaws above. Well - It wasn't.

Oracle just released 7 update 13 two weeks ahead of schedule in order to patch the holes.

Quote from link above:
If our not-too-subtle hint a couple of weeks ago about the perils of having Java installed wasn't enough to convince you to uninstall, you should waste no time in heading on over to the official site and grabbing the latest version (7u13). When it comes to Java, the Swiss-cheese of the software world, it's important to snag updates whenever they're rolled-out - but this one is in a league of its own. Oracle managed to pack 50 fixes with this single update - the largest bulk of fixes ever seen in the software's history.

So do yourself a favor... And Patch your Java right now :-)

Here's the link
http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp
In memory of smallfry 1996-2013
Boards I own, click ->
More
Ducky x2 (9008G2 Pro PBT/MX Green and Mini MX Red), Matias x2 (QP and Mini QP Dampened ALPS), Topre RealForce x4 (87U 55g/Digilog case, 103U-UW & 104UG High-Profile x2), Filco Majestouch x2 (TKL MX Blue & V2 AI 104 MX Blue), IBM-M x2 (BS & RD), Unicomp-M x5 (BS black on black x2, BS Ivory x2, QT Ultra-Classic), Deck x4 (Legend MX Black & MX Clear, Hassium & Francium w/ MX Brown), DAS III (MX Blue), KBT Pure Pro 60% (MX Red), NMB-RT8256CW+ x2 (black space invader), XArmor U9BL-S (MX Brown) given for free to someone I hate, CM X2 (Trigger/MX Green + Storm TKL/NovaTouch), TVS GOLD (MX Blue) and a many many more (NMB, DELL, MS, ATT, KeyTronic, Etc...)

Offline Burz

• maybe get a blister on yo' little finger...
Re: JAVA OUPS - Patch your JAVA to 7 update 13 ASAP
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 02 February 2013, 20:35:37 »
Reading the notes from the advisory, I see its almost all related to web client usage-- applets and webstart. Most people already know better than to trust this stuff, and I think its been a while since Java applets were turned on by default on PCs (at least I hope so...).

Java on the server side is much more secure. I would choose it over PHP for most tasks that require good security.
Matias Mini QuietPro  \\ Dell AT101W - Black ALPS  \\ SIIG MiniTouch x2 White XM - Monterey  \\ Colemak layout.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 02 February 2013, 21:00:09 »
Unless you really really need java, I think not having it installed at all is the best move. It seems to be nothing more than a security black hole most of the time anymore. I don't remember there being so many huge problems before Oracle took it over.

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 02 February 2013, 21:55:51 »
I agree, we can live without Java.

This message was for those using it casually.
In memory of smallfry 1996-2013
Boards I own, click ->
More
Ducky x2 (9008G2 Pro PBT/MX Green and Mini MX Red), Matias x2 (QP and Mini QP Dampened ALPS), Topre RealForce x4 (87U 55g/Digilog case, 103U-UW & 104UG High-Profile x2), Filco Majestouch x2 (TKL MX Blue & V2 AI 104 MX Blue), IBM-M x2 (BS & RD), Unicomp-M x5 (BS black on black x2, BS Ivory x2, QT Ultra-Classic), Deck x4 (Legend MX Black & MX Clear, Hassium & Francium w/ MX Brown), DAS III (MX Blue), KBT Pure Pro 60% (MX Red), NMB-RT8256CW+ x2 (black space invader), XArmor U9BL-S (MX Brown) given for free to someone I hate, CM X2 (Trigger/MX Green + Storm TKL/NovaTouch), TVS GOLD (MX Blue) and a many many more (NMB, DELL, MS, ATT, KeyTronic, Etc...)

Offline keymaster

• Topre Revolution Theorist
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 02 February 2013, 22:22:09 »
It's a good thing I've been browsing without Java since I first heard of the unpatched exploits. Not a single **** was given since then. :P

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 02 February 2013, 23:16:03 »
I didn't bother, because I only browse a few select sites... but...... how do I know if I've been affected by the "exploit"