Author Topic: Removing Cherry switches from PCB  (Read 4019 times)

Offline mniels

Removing Cherry switches from PCB
« on: Fri, 13 January 2017, 20:39:02 »

Forgive me if this is a dumb question, but I am desoldering switches on a board, and even after desoldering I cannot remove them.  I there a particular pressure poin that relaxes a clip?  Or do we think I haven't gotten all is the solder out.

Thanks in advance!

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
Re: Removing Cherry switches from PCB
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 13 January 2017, 20:59:01 »
Is there a plate? Picture?

Offline Tactile

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 13 January 2017, 23:08:25 »
REΛLFORCE

Offline DesktopDonger

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 13 January 2017, 23:36:29 »
There's 2 tabs on plate mounted cherry switches that you have to push in to remove them - one on the top edge and one on the bottom edge. Push them both in as you pull the switch upwards.
~Blizzard Mods~

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 14 January 2017, 10:28:14 »
Pull the switch while the contact point is still hot, otherwise, if the switch terminals touch the PCB (not in the middle / free from contact other than solder), the contact point re-solidifies - you can still pull it that way tho, but it might be a bit risky
Endgame | 1.25 Cmd for GMK Sets Please | Or Just 1.25 Blanks Like The Good Old Days

Offline mniels

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 14 January 2017, 10:38:44 »
Yup, found the tabs, got a couple out that way, the other two I had already desoldered did not come out.  I am of a mind that it is the solder.   I will try pulling it as soon as I desolder.  My guess is that will take acre of the rest.

I'll post later today with a progress report.  Thanks everyone!

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 14 January 2017, 15:23:22 »
Pull the switch while the contact point is still hot, otherwise, if the switch terminals touch the PCB (not in the middle / free from contact other than solder), the contact point re-solidifies - you can still pull it that way tho, but it might be a bit risky

NO don't do this.. 

What happens when you melt solder, is it slightly melts the plastic in the switch as well.

So if you pull it , it could move the innards out of alignment..

NEVER ever apply force to the plastic switch while hot..

Best use a solder sucker.

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 14 January 2017, 15:45:53 »

NO don't do this.. 

What happens when you melt solder, is it slightly melts the plastic in the switch as well.

So if you pull it , it could move the innards out of alignment..

NEVER ever apply force to the plastic switch while hot..

Best use a solder sucker.

I once bought a second hand keyboard and corrected all the switch alignments without re-soldering, by re-heating the solder and moving the switch

From practical experience, even counting my very first encounters with soldering, the switch enclosure never melted and mis-aligned

However, in ideal circumstances, I agree with you, I have a solder sucker station, it's a life changer, but with pump based suckers, it's almost impossible to pull the entirety of the solder and the situation in original post happens frequently
Endgame | 1.25 Cmd for GMK Sets Please | Or Just 1.25 Blanks Like The Good Old Days

Offline mniels

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 14 January 2017, 20:47:31 »
Used my solder sucker (one of the all in one deals that is attached to an iron,) and that worked great.  Ended up with 4 stubborn ones but a little more time on them got them out.

Before I was using a separate sucker with my iron.  Seems like the iron one works a hell of a lot better, at least for me.