Author Topic: Does Type-S feel different from regular HHKB?  (Read 1835 times)

Offline Blue_Moon

Does Type-S feel different from regular HHKB?
« on: Thu, 26 April 2018, 15:05:09 »
I own both. I use Type-S at work and have a regular at home. My regular one at home is a grey one with printing (doubt that matters, but just in case). I'm under the impression that my Type-S is softer. Dunno if it's the key press or the feel of the keycaps. I'm also suspicious that this feeling is psychological simply because my Type-S is white, so I want to know if others can confirm.

Does the Type-S feel different from the regular HHKB, and how so?

I can at least confirm that the spacebar on my regular is squeaky if I hold it down and wiggle up and down on the cap. So there's some difference.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: Does Type-S feel different from regular HHKB?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 26 April 2018, 17:19:01 »
Sounds different,  feel is about the same once everything smooths out.

Offline Blue_Moon

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 26 April 2018, 17:22:20 »
that's good news, because i prefer the grey keyboard at home because it looks better with my mouse and gamepad (they're black). however, i'd rather type on whichever is smoother. makes sense too, because my home kb has barely been typed on compared to my work kb, so i look forward to my home kb smoothing out over time

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 26 April 2018, 17:23:23 »
type-s will feel nearly imperceptibly less harsh simply because the silencing rings absorb energy on the rebound.. energy that otherwise would be transferred to the plate/sliders/keycaps and ultimately into your fingers.  :thumb:  :p
keyboards.

Offline Sneaky Potato

• * Maker
  • Gunslinger
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 26 April 2018, 19:27:33 »
I personally think they feel different, and I much prefer the feeling of the Type-S. I’ve owned several HHKBs and I always reached back for the Type-S every time. It’s more of a cushioned and dampened feel and sound, and the keys don’t rattle nearly as much when you type or if you run your fingers over them.

They almost have a more tactile, grainy feel on the downstroke as well. I find it to be very pleasant.

Offline SixtyLife

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 26 April 2018, 19:42:39 »
love my type s, hated the 2 regulars I had before it.
Kishsaver, JP SSK, Displaywriter SSK, 360C, HHKB Type S, X60, Jane v2, Jane v2 CE

Offline Polymer

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 27 April 2018, 08:59:04 »
I like both...

Depends on the mood...

Type S has a more pure thock sound...but the little raindrop type sounds and other sounds from the HHKB are quite enjoyable...