Author Topic: [IC] Ti minimalist wallet [Prototypes in the works though in aluminum]  (Read 9511 times)

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
Well, I have been in the search for what would amount to be the last wallet I should ever have to buy.  Upon my search I came across these.  The problem is it was a kickstarter program back in '13, and I have been unable to locate another reliable source.  So I figured "what the hell" I can make something and add my tweaks and have a group buy for them.

Right now I have zero idea what these will cost, but I am planning on going through the same shop that Mkawa is going through for his Ti plates.  He has told me that they are not having any issues with doing the work on the plates.  Plus it is close enough, I can drive down and pick the parts up.

Now for a pic of what I have come up with.

103030-0
103032-1

The main difference between the one I found and the one I am building is the hardware, and the recessed portion around the hardware.  With the original, you could only route the o-rings around one side.  With my design, you can choose between around both sides at each corner, providing a touch more security that cards won't fall out. 

Would there be enough interest in this for me to move forward with this project?  I might adhoc one out of aluminum in my garage, minus the recessed portion due to me not having access to a mill anymore.  This would be mostly to test oring sizes.

With the hardware I am choosing the plates should sit a little over 1/16" above a table on the o-rings.

I have two versions being made, one in 1/16" and one in 1/8" aluminum.  These are prototypes only.  After I have them on hand built, and tested, would anyone like to test as well?

« Last Edit: Wed, 10 June 2015, 01:38:39 by Melvang »
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
Re: [IC] Ti minimalist wallet
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 08 June 2015, 02:21:20 »
Members in the tour

Heedpantsnow
« Last Edit: Wed, 10 June 2015, 13:28:20 by Melvang »
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 08 June 2015, 02:40:44 »
Hrrrm... this is going to require some premium o-rings to be reliable... I think that's probably the long term issue..

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 08 June 2015, 02:46:02 »
Hrrrm... this is going to require some premium o-rings to be reliable... I think that's probably the long term issue..

O-rings are stupid cheap and surprisingly durable.

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 08 June 2015, 03:19:14 »
I am potentially interested! Looks pretty cool but don't have a lot of extra cash right now. Will wait and see how this goes.  :)

Offline asdfjkl36

• blue shirt guy
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • --- Click Clacks and Cats --- -- Cyan > Purple --
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 08 June 2015, 04:03:55 »
I thought this was then replaced by a similar thing called the RidgeWallet.

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 08 June 2015, 04:39:20 »
Not to hijack your thread but have you ever seen these?

Secrid
|||Daily driver: Duck Orion TKL
|||My other keyboards :
More
|||The Original|Home|Work|Numpad|Play|Endgame|Keycaps
x
|Déck Legend Frost|Keycool 87 LE|Leopold FC660M|FC 210TP|Raptor K1 Gaming|Duck Orion TKL|My keycaps & sets
|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics

|||Want to know what Keycap stores there are? Check out my Keyboard Pearltree and my (FS/FT/WTB) thread

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 08 June 2015, 12:03:20 »
I thought this was then replaced by a similar thing called the RidgeWallet.

I have seen the ridge, but don't care for the elastic bands. 

Not to hijack your thread but have you ever seen these?
Show Image

Secrid

I had not seen the Secrid wallet until now.  While it looks like a great product, I don't like the limitation of only 6 cards aside from one version they have.

My design is much more flexible than these in that you can care many more than just 6 cards.

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 08 June 2015, 12:08:35 »
I don't know how you guys keep organized with these. I have a single card and pocket change and I still can't deal with the struggle of using this.
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 08 June 2015, 12:28:01 »
What about the Ti ridge wallet? It's a bit pricy but I've been using mine for 8 months without issue.

Edit: Forgot to say that I'd be interested in your wallet depending on the price.
« Last Edit: Mon, 08 June 2015, 12:29:41 by Joey Quinn »
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 08 June 2015, 12:31:20 »
What about the Ti ridge wallet? It's a bit pricy but I've been using mine for 8 months without issue.

Edit: Forgot to say that I'd be interested in your wallet depending on the price.

My biggest issue with the Ridge, is you are limited to releasing cards from one side due to the 3 fixed positions of the elastic bands.  This this idea, you can move the o-rings to both sides of a corner, and have 4 sided protection when when you need to toss it in a bag or something that is going to be getting tossed around, or you can flip them to one side of a corner, and have access to cards from any direction.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 08 June 2015, 12:34:13 »

My biggest issue with the Ridge, is you are limited to releasing cards from one side due to the 3 fixed positions of the elastic bands.  This this idea, you can move the o-rings to both sides of a corner, and have 4 sided protection when when you need to toss it in a bag or something that is going to be getting tossed around, or you can flip them to one side of a corner, and have access to cards from any direction.
Now that's something I didn't really think of. When you start prototyping this I'd be happy to buy in and help test it.
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 08 June 2015, 12:37:54 »

Now that's something I didn't really think of. When you start prototyping this I'd be happy to buy in and help test it.

Plus the orings are easily replaceable and dirt cheap.

Offline jbondeson

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 08 June 2015, 12:59:28 »
My concern with most of the metal wallets has always been one of comfort.

I'm a back pocket wallet holder so the overall thickness is a big deal, and most of these metal wallets are made super thick to prevent bending. What are you thinking in that regard?

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 08 June 2015, 13:04:23 »
My concern with most of the metal wallets has always been one of comfort.

I'm a back pocket wallet holder so the overall thickness is a big deal, and most of these metal wallets are made super thick to prevent bending. What are you thinking in that regard?

Right now I am thinking of 1/16" plates.  It should be thinner than most bi tri fold wallets.  It may not be the thinnest minimalist wallet, but by no means it should be huge.  It is probably going to be more of a front pocket wallet than rear though would be my guess.  I have never tried a metal wallet, nor front pocket wallet.  Though I carry my phone in my back pocket.  I have had a Droid Maxx and now have a Droid Turbo I carry in my back pocket, both of which had Otter Box Defender cases.  And I never had an issue with those.  Aside from one cracked screen on my last Droid, but I was in a situation that 99% of the population wouldn't be in.

Offline nephiel

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 08 June 2015, 13:24:56 »
Have a look at these: http://www.ti2design.com/mobile/Ti2-Titanium-Wallet-Satin-Finish-NEW-P181.aspx

It's basically a money clip, but one side is credit-card-sized. A wallet can't get any minimalistic than that and still qualify as a wallet.
Stop wasting space! Chop your spacebar into bits!
NPH60: a custom 60% w/TrackPoint & split spacebar

Offline neverused

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 08 June 2015, 14:47:57 »
Check on edcforums too, you'll probably have the best luck there if you're a member

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 08 June 2015, 19:32:39 »
I'd be in for this. I assume the price would be lower than commercial ones since you're not making much profit?
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 09 June 2015, 00:14:42 »
I'd be in for this. I assume the price would be lower than commercial ones since you're not making much profit?

That is an objective

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 09 June 2015, 00:20:25 »

That is an objective

I would think it might be similarly priced due to economy of scale, but cheaper is definitely appreciated. :)

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 09 June 2015, 06:30:22 »
I've been using an ACM wallet for almost 2 years. It's definitely not thin but it's nice that it keeps the cards from rubbing together. Depending on price, something slim like this sounds interesting.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 09 June 2015, 21:22:14 »
When this happens I'm going to heat mine to change it's color.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 10 June 2015, 01:36:42 »

Ti annodizes with nothing but electrolyte solution and electricity.  I believe the voltage determines the color, and it is a one way change.  Lower voltage colors can be changed at a later date to higher voltage colors, but not vice versa, without mechanical removal of the prior coloring.

I am having some prototypes made.  Both in aluminum, one in 1/16" material courtesy of kurplop, and one in 1/8" from a friend from the military that happened to have moved about an hour from me. 

After I get them in hand, would anyone like to further test and provide inputs?

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 10 June 2015, 01:47:19 »

Ti annodizes with nothing but electrolyte solution and electricity.  I believe the voltage determines the color, and it is a one way change.  Lower voltage colors can be changed at a later date to higher voltage colors, but not vice versa, without mechanical removal of the prior coloring.

I am having some prototypes made.  Both in aluminum, one in 1/16" material courtesy of kurplop, and one in 1/8" from a friend from the military that happened to have moved about an hour from me. 

I'd be down to test. Been looking for a replacement for my EZGO recently.
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

B/S/T thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55351.0

Past projects: KBT Race 2 L.E.
Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
Re: [IC] Ti minimalist wallet [Prototypes in the works though in aluminum]
« Reply #24 on: Wed, 10 June 2015, 01:59:22 »
I would be more than happy to test however I live in Canada, so not sure if you want to ship intl or what not..

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
[IC] Ti minimalist wallet [Prototypes in the works though in aluminum]
« Reply #25 on: Wed, 10 June 2015, 06:15:53 »

Oh, me me me!

Oh and about color changing. A long time ago I got a Ti water kettle and wanted to test it. So I put about a cup of water in it and put it on my parents' gas stove. And then forgot about it. Came back about 4 hours later, and man that thing was crazy hot. Turned off the stove, let it cool. I was sure I had ruined it (it was my first Ti piece of gear).  It turned out totally fine. When I took it off the stove the bottom had changed to that Ti rainbow coloring, in the design of the gas burner. Pretty cool. That was 1998, been using it ever since.
« Last Edit: Wed, 10 June 2015, 06:20:12 by heedpantsnow »
I'm back.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #26 on: Wed, 10 June 2015, 06:21:49 »

I'd be happy to help test the design.

Offline nephiel

« Reply #27 on: Wed, 10 June 2015, 11:25:42 »

On Ti, the anodization is a layer of titanium oxide that forms on the surface of the metal. It is the thickness of this layer what determines the perceived color.

Heat does make the oxide layer thicker, but it's hard to achieve a uniform color. If you're satisfied with a colorful, rainbow-y pattern, though, any gas stove or blowtorch will do.

With electrolysis you have better control over the process (for a given current, the more voltage, the thicker the layer). At the very least, you need a can of cola and some 9V batteries.

The color spectrum repeats at the end, so if you go past a low-voltage color you want, you can get it again... provided you can apply enough voltage (or heat) to make the oxide layer twice as thick.

More info here

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #28 on: Wed, 10 June 2015, 11:34:48 »

On Ti, the anodization is a layer of titanium oxide that forms on the surface of the metal. It is the thickness of this layer what determines the perceived color.

Heat does make the oxide layer thicker, but it's hard to achieve a uniform color. If you're satisfied with a colorful, rainbow-y pattern, though, any gas stove or blowtorch will do.

With electrolysis you have better control over the process (for a given current, the more voltage, the thicker the layer). At the very least, you need a can of cola and some 9V batteries.

The color spectrum repeats at the end, so if you go past a low-voltage color you want, you can get it again... provided you can apply enough voltage (or heat) to make the oxide layer twice as thick.

More info here
In that case I'm going to try and get purple.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #29 on: Wed, 10 June 2015, 13:07:27 »
Looks like there is a fair amount of interest in testing these.  Would you guys be interested in doing a mini tour?

If so PM me your mailing address.

I would like to ask that each person in the tour cover cost of shipping to the next member, mostly so I don't have to pay out shipping all across the US and Canada.

If anyone would be willing to send to Canada, let me know, and I will put you at the end so it stays int he US as long as possible. 

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #30 on: Wed, 10 June 2015, 13:13:39 »
Since this is just for prototype testing, it might just make sense for me to wait until the actual group buy. I am happy to wait.

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #31 on: Wed, 10 June 2015, 13:25:26 »
Looks like there is a fair amount of interest in testing these.  Would you guys be interested in doing a mini tour?

If so PM me your mailing address.

I would like to ask that each person in the tour cover cost of shipping to the next member, mostly so I don't have to pay out shipping all across the US and Canada.

If anyone would be willing to send to Canada, let me know, and I will put you at the end so it stays int he US as long as possible. 

OK, PM'ing you now.  Let's make sure there's a public list and stuff is kept track of so that it doesn't get "stuck" somewhere.
I'm back.

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #32 on: Wed, 10 June 2015, 20:55:51 »
Back to anodize colors, I know that for aluminum they do a thin anodize coat to make the surface porous, then use dyes to achieve vivid, uniform colors, followed by another round of anodizing. I'd be willing to bet titanium colors are achieved the same way.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #33 on: Wed, 10 June 2015, 23:27:48 »
Back to anodize colors, I know that for aluminum they do a thin anodize coat to make the surface porous, then use dyes to achieve vivid, uniform colors, followed by another round of anodizing. I'd be willing to bet titanium colors are achieved the same way.

Nope, colored anodized coatings on aluminum and titanium are totally different.  There is no dye involved in anodizing titanium.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=241&v=3ZhVOy-ytJY

Offline Ceedog

• sup.
« Reply #34 on: Mon, 22 June 2015, 12:32:53 »
As someone who's been prowling Kickstarter for years looking for a decent wallet, and as someone with an unnatural love for titanium (I have a bit of a physical connection to it), this seems like an awesome project. I'm definitely in, but I have a quick concern: what about jeans? I can't put a silicone case on my phone, or it will get ripped off getting in or out of my pocket. Is there any chance the o-rings can come off, as well, in a tight pocket, or are they hard enough to where they don't stick?
GODLIKE SmallFry in progress.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #35 on: Mon, 22 June 2015, 12:48:21 »
As someone who's been prowling Kickstarter for years looking for a decent wallet, and as someone with an unnatural love for titanium (I have a bit of a physical connection to it), this seems like an awesome project. I'm definitely in, but I have a quick concern: what about jeans? I can't put a silicone case on my phone, or it will get ripped off getting in or out of my pocket. Is there any chance the o-rings can come off, as well, in a tight pocket, or are they hard enough to where they don't stick?

I honestly don't know yet.  I don't believe it will be an issue though with the little amount of of it that there is. 

Offline Ceedog

• sup.
« Reply #36 on: Mon, 22 June 2015, 12:49:03 »
Sounds good. Still getting people for a tour? If so, I'm in.
GODLIKE SmallFry in progress.

Offline nephiel

« Reply #37 on: Mon, 22 June 2015, 13:01:37 »
FWIW I carried one of these every day for 2+ years, always on my back right pocket. It was a DIY version, 2 1.5mm thick plates held together with paracord and an elastic hairband. The edges and corners were rounded, but during that time it wore out the pockets in 4 pairs of cheap jeans. Even so, the paracord and the elastic lasted all that time and were still serviceable.

Offline trees

• I like bagels.
« Reply #38 on: Mon, 22 June 2015, 14:34:10 »
I would be very interested in this. I for some reason seem to wear through leather wallets very fast, and always have to replace them.
B.Face HHKB - B.mini - Black/Purple Custom