Author Topic: G'day - Custom fabricator here!  (Read 4322 times)

Offline dn

• Got Wood? Fabricator / Designer Extraordinaire
G'day - Custom fabricator here!
« on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 01:22:53 »
G'day from Melbourne!

7G enthusiast here!

I am an Industrial Designer and fabrication is a big hobby - considering making some custom polished wooden and metal keycaps in the near future!

Hardcore Quake player, and love Super Meat Boy!

Cant wait for some PBT / double shot GB's

Cheers!
7G owner :)

PS: I'm looking for a PBT blank full set for my 7G!

Offline singaporean123

• I like keycaps and I cannot lie
Re: G'day - Custom fabricator here!
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 01:28:35 »
So you're a liar! Fabricator!

Offline MattBuzzy

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 01:41:57 »
Hey, welcome to  Geekhack! Custom wooden caps!? Count me in.

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 01:53:19 »
Welcome!  Expertise like yours is always exciting to bring on board.  Can't wait to see your creations. :)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 03:35:06 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Hint: If you can make nice metal keycaps in small quantities, you will have people lining up and offering to sell body parts to buy them ;)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline akuJIWA

• Lock 'N Load!
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 05:24:33 »
Welcome! A fellow friend from Melbourne too! Have fun around here, and get ready for some wallet-hack!
The Cheat - B/R/B ; Clear switch with 62g springs

quit

Offline Rafen

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 06:01:25 »
Welcome to GH!

Can't wait to see some of your key caps and like akuJIWA said, be ready to spend some money.

Offline dn

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 08:17:12 »

Hahaha! classic!

Welcome!  Expertise like yours is always exciting to bring on board.  Can't wait to see your creations. :)

Thanks very much! Can't wait to make some cool **** and share it with GH! I have my own workshop and design studio, as well as being a member to a large woodworking club with all the machinery I could possibly want, as well as free access to laser cutters and cnc machines at my university!

Welcome to GH!

Can't wait to see some of your key caps and like akuJIWA said, be ready to spend some money.

I was talking to one of my best buddies who is a radiographer today (before I joined GH) and he was asking me to make some custom metal (die-cast) letters for use on x-rays, it was at that point that I realised I could make metal keycaps in small numbers when I get around to it!

Thanks for the awesome welcome guys! I already get the feeling this is a great community - and this is only hours after I joined!

:D

Offline dn

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 08:44:59 »

Thank you so much everyone for the interest! I have only been a member a couple of hours and I have already been contacted by the owner of techkeys.us to start fabrication!

Haha, this is awesome :D

Offline rurushu

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 08:58:53 »
Hi and welcome to geekhack!!! same new user of GH!!!! (well, not really, have been diving in this forum for quite long time already, just recently decided to create an account and be part of the community)

PS: and GH loves skilled peoples like you XD

Offline dn

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 09:30:07 »
Hi and welcome to geekhack!!! same new user of GH!!!! (well, not really, have been diving in this forum for quite long time already, just recently decided to create an account and be part of the community)

PS: and GH loves skilled peoples like you XD

Thanks dude!

Offline inteli722

• Waiting for too much stuff...
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 18:38:20 »
On the subject of Quake, have you heard of Xonotic/Nexuiz Classic, and (and if you have) how good is it compared to Quake?

I love Xonotic as a fun, mindless shooter, and I would love to know how it compares. I figure that it's not technically threadcrapping if I talk about something that's in the OP... :)

Anyways, welcome to GeekHack. (most) people are friendly, and you can always ignore the mean ones. We can ALWAYS have another craftsman/fabricator. Great to have you aboard, prepare to get more knowledge than you ever wanted about mechanical keyboards :)
More

Visit the Typing Test and try!
R.I.P. SmallFry! You will be dearly missed.
Leopold FC200 |  CoolerMaster QFP Browns | Quickfire Rapid Greens | Quickfire Rapid Blues
Waiting for: Phantom Plate

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 18:39:00 »

Hahaha! classic!

Thanks very much! Can't wait to make some cool **** and share it with GH! I have my own workshop and design studio, as well as being a member to a large woodworking club with all the machinery I could possibly want, as well as free access to laser cutters and cnc machines at my university!

Welcome to GH!

I was talking to one of my best buddies who is a radiographer today (before I joined GH) and he was asking me to make some custom metal (die-cast) letters for use on x-rays, it was at that point that I realised I could make metal keycaps in small numbers when I get around to it!

Thanks for the awesome welcome guys! I already get the feeling this is a great community - and this is only hours after I joined!

Is small numbers say,, 3000,, can you do 3000,, GH can easily digest 3000,,

Offline inteli722

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 18:48:26 »

I got 5 responses to a question about Cherry MX Greens in 12 minutes (may have been Vice-versa, I don't remember). The community here specializes in fast response.
More

Leopold FC200 |  CoolerMaster QFP Browns | Quickfire Rapid Greens | Quickfire Rapid Blues

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 19:50:40 »

Thank you so much everyone for the interest! I have only been a member a couple of hours and I have already been contacted by the owner of techkeys.us to start fabrication!

Haha, this is awesome :D

Told you :p
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Internetlad

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 12 February 2013, 16:51:46 »
33 or 104 sets of solid wooden keycaps would sell like hotcakes. I honestly don't think you could make them fast enough or charge too much for them lol.

I remember a couple years ago, I saw a thread where a korean (asian, anyway) site was selling cherry boards with different woods for cases and caps, and charging a couple thousand dollars into them.

Even assuming it took tens of hours and you sold it for half as much, I don't know what your take home pay is per hour, but that's pretty damn lucrative.

Here's the korean engadget site I found reporting on it.
http://cn.engadget.com/tag/wooden+keyboard/
« Last Edit: Tue, 12 February 2013, 16:53:40 by Internetlad »
"Beep . . . Beep . . . Beep" -Sputnik I

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 12 February 2013, 17:07:50 »
Imagine a full set of these, and compare with a full set of girldc caps!

Offline Internetlad

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 12 February 2013, 17:29:55 »
girldc caps!

You'll have to elaborate, i'm not familiar with those.

Offline inteli722

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 12 February 2013, 17:34:30 »
girldc caps!

You'll have to elaborate, i'm not familiar with those.
Iron Man Caps, Stormtrooper caps, Punisher caps,

http://www.techkeys.us/artisan-keys.php
More

Offline Internetlad

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 12 February 2013, 17:50:41 »
Iron Man Caps, Stormtrooper caps, Punisher caps,

http://www.techkeys.us/artisan-keys.php

Ah, I had seen those but hadn't taken notice of the name.

Noted. Thanks.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 12 February 2013, 18:45:55 »
So-called, because they are created by forum member girldc, who is a very talented artisan.

Offline Internetlad

« Reply #21 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 11:05:32 »
So-called, because they are created by forum member girldc, who is a very talented artisan.

Of GH, DT or something else? Never heard of them.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 17:14:47 »
Of GH :)

Offline Internetlad

« Reply #23 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 17:26:47 »
nope, never heard of em.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #24 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 20:36:12 »

Offline dn

« Reply #25 on: Mon, 18 February 2013, 21:20:56 »
update:

my workshop will be producing prototypes within the month - is anyone willing to provide me with a reference diagram for the preferred layout and key profile (i assume cherry profile (mx switch of course))

Offline Internetlad

« Reply #26 on: Tue, 19 February 2013, 10:57:48 »
lol a wooden esc key would be cool.

Offline ApocalypseMaow

• Kitteh Overlord
  • Say WHAAT...
« Reply #27 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 02:46:28 »
Yeah wooden esc key is a good start! I think you would become a hero around here for something like that.
{WTT}HoffNudes(WTS)BLK LightSaverV2         
"#baby****fangerz" -Vesper 2015

Offline Internetlad

« Reply #28 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 12:37:30 »
a glass of brandy and a wooden esc key.

The finer things in computing.