Author Topic: Laptop SSD 2019 Simplified  (Read 1378 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Laptop SSD 2019 Simplified
« on: Tue, 17 September 2019, 21:38:31 »
Basically, There are only 4 SSDs worth looking at due to price tiers.

There are other SSDs, but they're either priced too close to the samsung, or not readily available.

970 Pro  1TB   $300     1261.24 MB/s   Anandtech data rate
970 Evo  1TB   $170     846.78  MB/s
HP EX950 1TB  $140     650.33  MB/s
HP EX920 1TB   $117    480.34  MB/s

970 pro, most expensive, only slightly faster, if you have something like server loads, this is the only consumer part that'll sort of cut it.   NOT cost competitive for general duty computing . (don't put this in your laptop unless you're rich, a waste of money).

970 evo,  recommending this over the Evo-Plus, it's more time tested. Cost 2 performance ratio is about the same, however, evo plus uses the new 96layer nand, and only time will tell if that blows up.  Only buy the Plus if you're ok with the risk, 840evo TLC class action lawsuit, never forget.

Ex950,  Competitively priced, medium of the pack data rate, conceptually similar to 4th place in F1 racing. Slower, but a good car, budget friendly.

Ex920, recent sales gone as low as $96, very cost competitive but sustained data rate is Half that of samsung 970evo/evoplus.

For client, terminal style workloads, gaming, etc,  none of it is gonna matter, get whatever's cheapest.

Don't go lower than 1TB, or it'll be hard to reuse the stick in the future, applications are getting Major Bloat these days.. 

Performance side, 1TB ssds are significantly faster than 500GB models due to parallel i/o, whereas 2TB models are NOT much faster. 

Offline Kavik

Re: Laptop SSD 2019 Simplified
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 19 September 2019, 15:47:30 »
I'm pretty sure the 840 EVO is the one I have in my desktop. I didn't know there's a problem with it :(

If I'm still bound by the SATA interface, is the 860 EVO the best option for a desktop, or is it worth getting a PCIe to M.2 card for the 970 series? My only use-case is loading games faster. Everything else is just file storage on HDDs.
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline Kavik

Re: Laptop SSD 2019 Simplified
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 19 September 2019, 15:59:38 »
Actually, my motherboard may not even support NVMe with PCIe. It's a Z77, I think.
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.