Author Topic: I got made fun of by a coworker...  (Read 10531 times)

Offline khaangaaroo

I got made fun of by a coworker...
« on: Tue, 05 February 2013, 15:59:48 »
...when I mentioned I take apart keyboards for fun  :(

I'm going back to being a closet-keyboard-lover. It's probably a good thing they don't know how much the boards I bring in are worth.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Re: I got made fun of by a coworker...
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 05 February 2013, 16:00:55 »
It's time to bring in a Model M and slowly beat him over the ears with all the pinging.

Haters gonna hate. I just laugh when I tell people about my keyboards and they judge. I can't wait to see the reactions when I bring in my Filco w/ the Valentine's set.
« Last Edit: Tue, 05 February 2013, 16:02:34 by CPTBadAss »

Offline missalaire

• Great Finder of Great Finds
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 05 February 2013, 16:03:34 »
It's time to bring in a Model M and slowly beat him over the ears with all the pinging.

Haters gonna hate. I just laugh when I tell people about my keyboards and they judge. I can't wait to see the reactions when I bring in my Filco w/ the Valentine's set.

^ I've gotten a lot of hate and "why do you need more than 1 keyboard" kinda stuff and I just don't give a f*ck :)
Ducky DK9008S2 Blue LED | Ducky DK2108S OMG | Ducky DK9008S2 White LED | Ducky YOTD | CM QuickFire TK LE | Filco MJ2 TKL custom | Trik Alu Skin Custom

Mechanical keyboards are primarily vessels for novelty keycaps...
Please do NOT PM me regarding finding deals for specific products, I do not take personal requests!

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 05 February 2013, 16:19:00 »

^ I've gotten a lot of hate and "why do you need more than 1 keyboard" kinda stuff and I just don't give a f*ck :)

Jebus chis,  why do you guys need so many keyboards.. I do fine with just three... ;D..

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 05 February 2013, 16:21:14 »
What you should do is get the heaviest keyboard you can find plus a full set of zinc key caps, a shed load or GirlDC caps and a titanium Space-bar and for good measure fill it with some steal, then when he is not looking put it in his car so he can never drive again...or beat him with it... Whatever floats your goat.
unless they have some unforeseeable downside (like they're actually made of cream cheese cunningly disguised as ABS)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 05 February 2013, 16:26:16 »
What you should do is get the heaviest keyboard you can find plus a full set of zinc key caps, a shed load or GirlDC caps and a titanium Space-bar and for good measure fill it with some steal, then when he is not looking put it in his car so he can never drive again...or beat him with it... Whatever floats your goat.

???

that would amount to 6lbs at most, maybe 7

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 05 February 2013, 16:31:53 »
My daily driver weighs about 8-1/4 pounds.

I am hoping to get a metal keycap soon.

"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline GMC

• Shiny.
Re: Re: I got made fun of by a coworker...
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 05 February 2013, 16:35:35 »
Lol. You almost described my pure that I take to work.

Oddly, I don't get grief. I just say it feels better to type on and people move onto what they came to talk about. 
WASD V1 - waiting on R4... - MX Brown
KBT Pure - Zinc caps - MX Brown
Cherry G80-1800 ISO WKL - SkiData caps - MX Clear

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 05 February 2013, 16:41:05 »
I get a mix of puzzlement and compliments at how nice they look or how clicky they are.

Offline Wopian

• Why Hello There.
    • Bobstudios
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 05 February 2013, 16:42:39 »
Oh noes ;'(

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 05 February 2013, 16:45:41 »
welcome to the club. i've only just this month convinced someone to try out my realforce, and i've worked here for a year.
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline Alessandro

• * Vendor
  • The Price Is Right
    • Alessandro's Sweet Shop
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 05 February 2013, 16:52:26 »
It's worse at school because they're too dumb to even listen. :/
KBC Poker | MX Reds | Beige Doubleshots
Goldtouch 10Key Pad | MX Browns | Beige Doubleshots
IBM Model M-122 Terminal (Bolt modded) | Buckling Springs | Beige Dyesubs

Alessandro's Sweet Shop- "I never said they were art."

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 05 February 2013, 16:53:51 »
okay dude even if i was into keyboards back them i'd have made fun of you too. you're  just asking for it.

it's like the kids who bring their guitars to school... you look like you're trying way too hard :P
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 05 February 2013, 16:55:01 »
If I had been into keyboards during school I would have brought them into the labs for sure.  Multi-hour hack sessions on rubber domes is no fun once you know better.

Offline sordna

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 05 February 2013, 16:56:52 »
I got made fun of by a coworker...

What exactly did he say?
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 05 February 2013, 16:59:16 »
If I had been into keyboards during school I would have brought them into the labs for sure.  Multi-hour hack sessions on rubber domes is no fun once you know better.
there's a chance i'd have brought them in when i was in VG programming, staying after school for 4 hours a day during crunch  :P

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 05 February 2013, 17:07:15 »
It's worse at school because they're too dumb to even listen. :/

I'm about to find that one out firsthand, can't stand the rubber domes anymore :p
« Last Edit: Tue, 05 February 2013, 17:09:27 by ComradeSniper »

Offline Lighthouse1

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 05 February 2013, 17:16:18 »
People where I work thought it was weird to have a Mechanical board until they tried it..now I have 2 people borrowing my original ANSI and other board and one of them just ordered one of their own. I quite like sharing the boards as otherwise they'd be sitting at home and I was surprised how much less nerdy people think it is to have one when they drive it about.

Offline Raven

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 05 February 2013, 17:38:17 »
It depends on which rubber dome keyboard - an IBM KB8923 really is a pleasure to use.  But I'd rather use a Model M.
Just wish I could get the old lady to understand why I "need" 3 Model Ms and want to get another keyboard with Cherry blue switches.
What the hell, she doesn't bug me about it.  :))

Offline chewyfruitloop

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 05 February 2013, 17:47:26 »
I get the piss ripped out of me at work when people find out how much my das cost.
My hands have not felt less strained in 10 years
Plus I point out when they stick around that they don't drive a car that costs 5% of the one they have

People like sports ball I think they're loonies...
das blue, mac chicklet, old mac clear hair catcher

Offline ValerieV

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 05 February 2013, 17:52:40 »
My family recently found out about my keyboard collection/addiction. They laughed at me and said i should get a mainframe for my room so i look important. They have no idea how much money i have spent but they know it is a lot. I don't know who should be more ashamed: me for my keyboard collection/addiction or my idiot brother who believes everything Alex Jones says on the internet.  :))

Offline rootwyrm

• The Hands of Steel
    • My Website!
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 05 February 2013, 18:01:38 »
Ah, the benefits of being the boss.
Keyboard is a separate item from workstation in the budget. We have a stack of M's, Unicomps, and a fair number of MX Blues. And part of the hiring process is 'pick a keyboard. Here's the list of of ones we won't pay for.' (The list itself? Datahand ProII, Maltron, or anything over $359.)
And complaining about 'noise' is not allowed.  :cool:
"I remain convinced I am the only person alive who has successfully worn out an IBM Model M mechanically."
Daily Drivers: Adesso 625 (NPKC PBT / Kailh Blue), Rosewill RK9000V2 (KC PBT / MX Brown), 1994 Model M13, Sun Type4, and the rare IBM 1394540.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 05 February 2013, 18:03:33 »
Keyboard is a separate item from workstation in the budget. We have a stack of M's, Unicomps, and a fair number of MX Blues. And part of the hiring process is 'pick a keyboard. Here's the list of of ones we won't pay for.' (The list itself? Datahand ProII, Maltron, or anything over $359.)
hire me?

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
Re: Re: I got made fun of by a coworker...
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 05 February 2013, 18:09:10 »
* SmallFry lines up out the door. Yes, I'd like one Ergodox and all the hours you can give me please.

Offline rootwyrm

• The Hands of Steel
    • My Website!
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 05 February 2013, 18:13:49 »
* SmallFry lines up out the door. Yes, I'd like one Ergodox and all the hours you can give me please.

Ha ha ha. Amusingly enough, probably would fit in budget..
"I remain convinced I am the only person alive who has successfully worn out an IBM Model M mechanically."
Daily Drivers: Adesso 625 (NPKC PBT / Kailh Blue), Rosewill RK9000V2 (KC PBT / MX Brown), 1994 Model M13, Sun Type4, and the rare IBM 1394540.

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 05 February 2013, 18:15:52 »
Yep! Plus I get to build my work keyboard!

Offline Internetlad

« Reply #26 on: Tue, 05 February 2013, 18:17:07 »
My boss seems to appreciate my FK2001 with white ALPS, but I think that's mostly for nostalgia since they were, at one point in history, the store's "go-to" board.

It's probably my second least favorite board, right in front of a LASER board with some weird (monterey?) clone switch type.
"Beep . . . Beep . . . Beep" -Sputnik I

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #27 on: Tue, 05 February 2013, 18:24:21 »

So is there a most popular board? And you should do a thread in the media subforum "What my employees type on"   :p

Offline 1839cc

« Reply #28 on: Tue, 05 February 2013, 18:28:43 »
I've been taking my Leopold and Marble FX to school. So far reactions have been mostly indifferent with a few understanding nods. One young guy seemed genuinely interested in it.

I expected more negativity.
i have seen unix admins with john deere trucker hats, and even seen a man in a nascar shirt correct a passerby's klingon.

Offline rootwyrm

• The Hands of Steel
    • My Website!
« Reply #29 on: Tue, 05 February 2013, 18:38:03 »
So is there a most popular board? And you should do a thread in the media subforum "What my employees type on"   :p

Heh, well there's just the two of us right now. We're both avowed preference for genuine M's. (All three Unicomps started flaking out badly in very short order - especially when compared to genuine M's.) I swap around keyboards fairly frequently due to problems with my hands though.  External resources are mostly MX Blue and Alps White though, with a handful of M's.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #30 on: Tue, 05 February 2013, 18:39:54 »

Heh, well there's just the two of us right now. We're both avowed preference for genuine M's. (All three Unicomps started flaking out badly in very short order - especially when compared to genuine M's.) I swap around keyboards fairly frequently due to problems with my hands though.  External resources are mostly MX Blue and Alps White though, with a handful of M's.

Ooo, you fancy sir. I'm pretty sure people have Model M's at  my work place...saw a lady typing on one one day. I just need to find the hidden stash

Offline okooko

• afk.
« Reply #31 on: Tue, 05 February 2013, 18:42:29 »
My boss likes my style when he saw my pinked-out 87U and my slightly pinked-out Pure haha.

Always a good conversation starter for anyone that walks past my working station.

If anyone actually spoke down to me about my keyboard i'd tell them to get on my level then id get them fired for bad manners haha.

now lets see how many people I can convince to buy a mechanical KB....

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #32 on: Tue, 05 February 2013, 18:45:04 »

I'm going back to being a closet-keyboard-lover. It's probably a good thing they don't know how much the boards I bring in are worth.

First date:

Hello.
I like your watch.
I take apart keyboards and put them back together for fun :B
I think some keyboards are just Ducky. 8B
It's my birthday; can I have your watch?  :B

« Last Edit: Tue, 05 February 2013, 18:48:24 by PointyFox »

Offline rootwyrm

• The Hands of Steel
    • My Website!
« Reply #33 on: Tue, 05 February 2013, 18:48:29 »

Ooo, you fancy sir. I'm pretty sure people have Model M's at  my work place...saw a lady typing on one one day. I just need to find the hidden stash

Heh, well, our stash is shall we say... interesting. And thoroughly destroyed by my hands, mostly. Got some 3151's slated for conversion. Most of them are in need of rebuild though, sadly. Almost pulled the trigger on MX Greens, but after all the problems reported with the Ducky and all the problems I've had with the MX Blue QFR... waiting to see if someone produces a good one.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #34 on: Tue, 05 February 2013, 18:53:51 »
So far reactions have been mostly indifferent with a few understanding nods. One young guy seemed genuinely interested in it.

I expected more negativity.

In the PC game, everyone has heard of a "mechanical keyboard" all the big retail chains sell's them and there is sufficient propaganda available proclaiming their worth and value to the end user.  If you happen to get a job in a "Moronic Office" then anything other than their standard keyboard or mouse is positively Alien to them and will spark a natural fear/loathing towards you.

That's life in general, imagine being the first Negro employed in Coca Cola's management office in the 1950's.  Trust me that poor guy really would of felt extremely uncomfortable.  He then sets about doing the work of three individuals and stays late to complete every task given to him.  Maybe after 10 years he starts to earn the respect that every other White worker attains in one day of work.

People in general are fearful of strange/different circumstances that are presented to them mainly due to ingrained prejudices taught to them by friends/schools/society in general.  It will take time for everyone to catch up with the modern times hence extreme patience is a requirement, but never tolerate idiocy and ignorance from anyone.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #35 on: Tue, 05 February 2013, 18:54:58 »

Heh, well, our stash is shall we say... interesting. And thoroughly destroyed by my hands, mostly. Got some 3151's slated for conversion. Most of them are in need of rebuild though, sadly. Almost pulled the trigger on MX Greens, but after all the problems reported with the Ducky and all the problems I've had with the MX Blue QFR... waiting to see if someone produces a good one.

Obviously you need to buy  more boards for the stash... you know, for science ^_^

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #36 on: Tue, 05 February 2013, 20:14:30 »
Co-workers that haven't met me before give a funny look when they see me whip out a KB with my laptop.  Then they give that 'oh, I get it' look when I rip out 100wpm.  As yet I've not met someone at this company that can come near that speed. 
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline grodo.00

« Reply #37 on: Tue, 05 February 2013, 20:54:00 »
Yeah i cant wait for the sh!t talk to start. Thought everyone comes to me when they need drawings out ASAP!!

Offline cobraj

« Reply #38 on: Tue, 05 February 2013, 21:15:02 »
Hahahahaha.
Yeah, I get some pretty bemused looks when friends come over and see all my keyboards.

But then I tell them that I don't drink coffee, and I've spent less money on my keyboards, than they have on coffee in 6 months.

Now who's the stupid one :P

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #39 on: Tue, 05 February 2013, 21:23:27 »
Yeah i cant wait for the sh!t talk to start. Thought everyone comes to me when they need drawings out ASAP!!

They'll come to hate on your noise....then remember that you make their drawings and act all sweet to you. Happens to me like daily.

An engineer was distracted by my board today. I have a Billiards Set on my work board and people's reaction to the noise and the caps are hilarious.

Offline funkymeeba

• CRUMPULAR
  • WEST SHINJUKU PLANTING TUNE
« Reply #40 on: Tue, 05 February 2013, 21:36:57 »
My coworkers all think my Leopold is a sweet little keyboard... but not sweet enough for them to take the plunge. Can't win it all, I guess.
17:15 < vun> these are the healthiest crisps I've ever come across
17:16 < vun> mostly because I can't get the bag open

meebcats - my bad music

Offline do_Og@n

• * Maker
« Reply #41 on: Tue, 05 February 2013, 22:05:47 »
I get the same thing until I tell them how much they are worth and how much money I've made off of them.

Than they seem to shut up. I actually went as far as to bring in some of my keyboards and let a coworker use them for a couple of weeks...he ended up buying it.

Offline rootwyrm

• The Hands of Steel
    • My Website!
« Reply #42 on: Tue, 05 February 2013, 23:32:09 »
Obviously you need to buy  more boards for the stash... you know, for science ^_^

Science nothing... there simply is not a more durable keyboard than a Model M, period. Nothing is even close. Though I chew up the one-piece PBT keycaps in about.. 8 months. Two piece, usually takes me 2-3 years.

Offline Larken

« Reply #43 on: Wed, 06 February 2013, 00:23:30 »
I remember when i bought my first mech keyboard about 3 years ago. Most people who found out how much I paid for them said something along the lines of, "Wow, dude, you got ripped. It doesn't even have LED, or a LCD screen, or macro keys."

Fast forward three years to the present, the same guys are asking me, is Blackwidow Ultimate any good? How's Rosewill? And they start to realise that Filco is pretty much where it's at for OEM produced boards.

The reason for their sudden interest? 'Top' gamers are using mechs now, so it's now cool to own one. Jeez, it's still the same keyboard. Shows how much an opinion can change due to simple perception.

I'd say use whatever you enjoy and ignore the naysayers.
| Ergodox #1 | Ergodox #2 |

Filco Majestouch Brown | Ducky 1087 Brown | Cherry G80-3494 Reds | Unicomp Ultra Classics | Cherry G80-8113 Clears |

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #44 on: Wed, 06 February 2013, 01:20:13 »
^ Well that's how I found Geekhack, so what can I say. I was in the market for a new tournament board
I love Elzy

Offline cobraj

« Reply #45 on: Wed, 06 February 2013, 01:30:36 »
^ Well that's how I found Geekhack, so what can I say. I was in the market for a new tournament board

Ooft!
Which tournaments?

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #46 on: Wed, 06 February 2013, 01:43:03 »
Local LANs for Starcraft and some MLG events before I stopped playing competitively. I won enough money to buy myself my WASD though so that was nice :D Maybe HotS will bring me back.
I love Elzy

Offline Larken

« Reply #47 on: Wed, 06 February 2013, 01:53:46 »
nothing against how gamers give mechanical keyboards more exposure. It's a great thing in fact - spawned a huge variety of choices, like the affordable and yet robust CM QFRs.

Its just irritating to have explained extensively to the same people that mech. keyboards is worth trying (when they asked), and then have them scoff at the thought of even trying one out (which is rich, because they didn't mind paying for their g15s and razer arctosas).... and then they suddenly change their minds and think mechs are the next best thing since sliced bread, because the 'cool kids' are using them.

rad factor 1, rational explanation 0.

*** I'm exaggerating a little, for effect. But you know what I mean. :D

| Ergodox #1 | Ergodox #2 |

Filco Majestouch Brown | Ducky 1087 Brown | Cherry G80-3494 Reds | Unicomp Ultra Classics | Cherry G80-8113 Clears |

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #48 on: Wed, 06 February 2013, 01:59:53 »
Well I used to own a Lycosa and I still have DT35's and stuff. Never had a G15 but I'm sure I wanted one at one point xD. Lycosa was okay... ****ty keyboard but I could use it. DT35s are god-tier keyboards, I don't care what anyone says. But yeah I know what you're saying. I used to do that too :(
I love Elzy

Offline cobraj

« Reply #49 on: Wed, 06 February 2013, 02:46:31 »
nothing against how gamers give mechanical keyboards more exposure. It's a great thing in fact - spawned a huge variety of choices, like the affordable and yet robust CM QFRs.

Its just irritating to have explained extensively to the same people that mech. keyboards is worth trying (when they asked), and then have them scoff at the thought of even trying one out (which is rich, because they didn't mind paying for their g15s and razer arctosas).... and then they suddenly change their minds and think mechs are the next best thing since sliced bread, because the 'cool kids' are using them.

rad factor 1, rational explanation 0.

*** I'm exaggerating a little, for effect. But you know what I mean. :D

no point trying to understand the mind of a plebeian lol