Author Topic: What's Geekhacks opinion on the 3DS?  (Read 3694 times)

Offline Bsclly

• I hope you're having a good day!
What's Geekhacks opinion on the 3DS?
« on: Wed, 11 March 2015, 12:28:59 »
I've been using a 3DS for most of my games for about a month. I absolutely love it. It's portable, sleek, and has an amazing selection of almost console level games. Anyone else have one? What are your thoughts on it? Any reccomendation for games?
Switches Tried: Reds, Blues
Favorite Switches: Blues

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
Re: What's Geekhacks opinion on the 3DS?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 11 March 2015, 12:44:50 »
I don't own one.  Anything portable other than my phone and essentials are too much to carry/remember I have on me.  :(
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline Fire Brand

• Keeper of Rainbows
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • BISCUITS!
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 11 March 2015, 12:53:06 »
I have a pikachu 3ds xl it's okay I mainly got it because I had seen the design but I rarely use it although I did enjoy a link between worlds a lot and the fact I can play old game oh games too otherwise as for the 3d part it's pointless never use it and see no need to use it.

Overall:
Nice system if you don't own a ds or 3ds and pretty much what you expect for a handheld main reason to buy this would be the exclusive games and think if you will actively us the system as well
My Youtube Channel ~
More
Keyboards owned
More
Poker II - MX Black, Poker II ISO - MX Blue :c QFR ISO - MX Black, HHKB Pro 2 Black, VA68M - Gat Blacks w/68g Gold springs
My classified thread :3
More

Offline Sygaldry

• Edema Ruh
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • All the truth in the world is held in stories.
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 11 March 2015, 12:57:14 »
Love my 3DS.

I've blown hundreds of hours (over a thousand?) between Monster Hunter 3, Pokemon Alpha Sapphire, Rune Factory 4, FE:A, Bravely Default, Fantasy Life, Animal Crossing, SSB, and SMT4.
null

Offline slickmamba

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 11 March 2015, 13:06:28 »
Love my 3DS.

I've blown hundreds of hours (over a thousand?) between Monster Hunter 3, Pokemon Alpha Sapphire, Rune Factory 4, FE:A, Bravely Default, Fantasy Life, Animal Crossing, SSB, and SMT4.

Can second all those games, except alpha sapphire, haven't played it yet.
Hi :)

Offline plegnic

• Treble Booty. Bass Guitar.
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 11 March 2015, 13:12:38 »
Love my 3DS.

Can second all those games, except alpha sapphire, haven't played it yet.
You definitely should. I just got Omega Ruby a couple weeks ago and it's great so far. I love my 3DS, but I really need to play it more.

Only thing is: When I first got it a couple years ago the 3D was awesome, now I have to turn it off because it gives me a headache after about 30 seconds...  :-[
Planck MIT layout [MX Clears] (in-progress) | QuickFire Storm TK [MX Brown] | Poker II [MX Blue]

Offline Alex92

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 11 March 2015, 13:22:16 »
I love the 3DS, although I currently use the New 3DS XL and I used the normal 3DS XL before that, and it's a bit on the large size for a portable system. I mostly play it around the house, though, so the size isn't too much of a concern for me. My favorite 3DS games in no order are: The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds, Super Smash Bros 3DS, Kid Icarus Uprising, Pokemon X, and Animal Crossing New Leaf. There are many more great games for the system too, including all of the great games for the DS that it is backward compatible with  :thumb:

Offline Bsclly

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 11 March 2015, 13:29:38 »
I have a 3DSXL and a normal 3DS, and the normal one is just too small. Playing Fire Emblem on it is hell honestly. Smash bros is okay on the normal sized, but a lot better on the XL. I agree with the portability issues though.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 11 March 2015, 13:58:57 »
I love my 3DSXL just finished Fire Emblem Awakenings and A Link Between Worlds. Great games. Trying to find Omega Ruby or Sapphire for cheap.

Offline Bsclly

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 11 March 2015, 14:01:00 »
I just started Fire Emblem awakening today!:) Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire go on sale regularly on Amazon :)

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 11 March 2015, 14:06:04 »
I cry I missed the new 3ds XL majoras mask, I will not pay eBay cost.

I've always loved 3ds though, own the original blue and the Zelda 3dsXL(majora would have matched so well!)

I can't wait to play the new monster hunter whenever. Just wish it was on wii u as well. Local coop with roommate was sweet on the previous one.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 11 March 2015, 14:16:05 »
I got a launch 3DS and tbh I'm not that happy with it all that much.

The hardware is appauling(i srs cant spell that ****ing word). The buttons are ****ty and janky (my d-pad paint cover is coming off at the edges), the slider, stick thing is terrible TERRRRIBLE and screens are hella low res and look like **** most of the time and the 3D effect rapes the really poor battery life.
The thing is just ugly from all angles, the 3DS store is retardedly expensive and sparse. Playing games that require using L or R gives my hands cramp and the cameras are awful. It also has region locking.....

I only got one to make sure I could play all the new Pokemon games, and it's been good for that...

I also have a Vita and I much prefer it.

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 11 March 2015, 14:16:22 »
I love my 3DSXL just finished Fire Emblem Awakenings and A Link Between Worlds.

Other than pokemon, the 2 best games for the system (not counting majoras mask or ocarina of time because nostalgia). Still seriously pissed that the MM 3ds sold out as quickly as it did.
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

B/S/T thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55351.0

Past projects: KBT Race 2 L.E.
Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline Bsclly

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 11 March 2015, 14:23:27 »
I love my 3DSXL just finished Fire Emblem Awakenings and A Link Between Worlds.

Other than pokemon, the 2 best games for the system (not counting majoras mask or ocarina of time because nostalgia). Still seriously pissed that the MM 3ds sold out as quickly as it did.

One of the reasons why I love living in a small ski resort in Idaho, a week after the N3DS came out I found a Majoras Mask edition in a shop. Bought it immediatly and ended up selling it for $400, note that I bought it for personal use but then I realized that I could sell it and buy one that just has a black cover instead of the mask and have around $200 in profit lol. Kind of regret selling it though

Offline Alex92

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 11 March 2015, 14:24:55 »
I was very lucky to snag one of the MM 3DS XLs from Best Buy. I was convinced that my order was going to get canceled. From what I've read, though, it sounds like there is a small chance that more could be made available in the future. Apparently the West coast port strike has been delaying shipments of Amiibos and 3DS systems to the US.

Offline Bsclly

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 11 March 2015, 14:26:25 »
The Monster Hunter 4 Edition of the N3DSXL in my opinion is personally my favorite edition. It just looks better than the MM version haha

Offline Alex92

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 11 March 2015, 14:41:42 »

The hardware is appauling(i srs cant spell that ****ing word). The buttons are ****ty and janky (my d-pad paint cover is coming off at the edges), the slider, stick thing is terrible TERRRRIBLE and screens are hella low res and look like **** most of the time and the 3D effect rapes the really poor battery life.
The thing is just ugly from all angles, the 3DS store is retardedly expensive and sparse. Playing games that require using L or R gives my hands cramp and the cameras are awful. It also has region locking.....

I only got one to make sure I could play all the new Pokemon games, and it's been good for that...

I got the original 3DS at launch too and thought that it was pretty good, but it had a very small library of games available at the time (but that has since changed). The 3DS XL was a big improvement to the original 3DS and I think that it solved pretty much all of the issues with the original 3DS. Here's the problem with the Vita: the hardware is obviously superior to the 3DS's, but are there even any worthwhile games for it? The 3DS, on the other hand, has an excellent game library.

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 11 March 2015, 15:27:59 »

The Monster Hunter 4 Edition of the N3DSXL in my opinion is personally my favorite edition. It just looks better than the MM version haha

Except Japan exclusive?

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 11 March 2015, 15:29:23 »

Except Japan exclusive?

Not exclusive bruh
http://www.gamestop.com/nintendo-3ds/consoles/nintendo-new-3ds-xl-monster-hunter-4-ultimate-edition-gamestop-exclusive/119889

Also sold out soon after release.
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 11 March 2015, 15:31:44 »

Except Japan exclusive?

Not exclusive bruh
http://www.gamestop.com/nintendo-3ds/consoles/nintendo-new-3ds-xl-monster-hunter-4-ultimate-edition-gamestop-exclusive/119889

Yup, just googled it. Another heart breaking moment cause I love MH. I've seen so many Japan only MH gear I thought for sure.

Le sighhhhhh, maybe I'll luck out and find one by the end of the month for my bday.

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 11 March 2015, 15:39:59 »

Except Japan exclusive?

Not exclusive bruh

Yup, just googled it. Another heart breaking moment cause I love MH. I've seen so many Japan only MH gear I thought for sure.

Le sighhhhhh, maybe I'll luck out and find one by the end of the month for my bday.

Good luck. If I find more than one, I'll point you in it's direction  :thumb:

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 11 March 2015, 15:48:22 »

Except Japan exclusive?

Not exclusive bruh

Good luck. If I find more than one, I'll point you in it's direction  :thumb:

Cheers man!

Offline ileben

« Reply #23 on: Sat, 11 April 2015, 08:53:44 »

I second this sentiment (pretty much all of the above). I only use it for some light fun in pokemon games with my gf, but the physical quality of the device is pretty low, so I can't stand using it for too long at a time.

Also, I can kind of agree that some games match the "console quality" in terms of gameplay breadth (Monster Hunter), but definitely not in visuals by any stretch of imagination. Firstly, the screen resolution is painfully low for the distance at which it is held. Secondly, I can't be bothered looking up the exact specs, but the system must have low total memory and/or low memory bandwidth, because the texture resultion always seems to be extremely low (to the point where most of the times the texels don't even map 1:1 to the already low density of screen pixels, thus creating extra pixelation). Yes, it is possible to have fun in games even with low graphical fidelty (I've been there ever since the first PCs), but in this day and age it's just hard to call any 3DS game visually stunning.
RF 87 55g (silenced) | FC660C (silenced) | Unicomp Ultra Classic | Filco MJ2 Brown | Matias Mini Quiet Pro

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #24 on: Sat, 11 April 2015, 11:17:35 »

I got the original 3DS at launch too and thought that it was pretty good, but it had a very small library of games available at the time (but that has since changed). The 3DS XL was a big improvement to the original 3DS and I think that it solved pretty much all of the issues with the original 3DS. Here's the problem with the Vita: the hardware is obviously superior to the 3DS's, but are there even any worthwhile games for it? The 3DS, on the other hand, has an excellent game library.

There are alot of indie games and cross-buy **** and Persona 4 Golden!!

Offline bamtan

• hi there
« Reply #25 on: Sat, 11 April 2015, 11:30:16 »
Regret not getting the XL while I was in Japan. The only two cons with it were the fact that it was region locked and it came without the charger :(
If you're going to get the 3DS, get the XL. Super Smash Brawls is awesome.

Offline Jokrik

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #26 on: Sun, 12 April 2015, 02:39:23 »
what are you guys doing posting and stuff
I've been on MH4U the whole day now, you guys should do the same and stop posting
Women always figure out the truth. Always. - Han Solo

Offline s0nia

« Reply #27 on: Sat, 02 May 2015, 03:54:11 »
I've got a 3DS XL, although i haven't really touched it in a while. Considering selling it to pick up a N3DSXL (for future game compatibility) and Majora's Mask + MH4U. Think it's worth it?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #28 on: Sat, 02 May 2015, 17:55:34 »
The only mobile game I've ever NOT been disappointed with is -- Ridiculous fishing --

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #29 on: Tue, 05 May 2015, 07:46:58 »
* geekhack likes the 3DS