Author Topic: The many faces of Geekhack  (Read 1623815 times)

Offline kurplop

• THE HERO WE DON'T DESERVE
Re: The many faces of Geekhack
« Reply #850 on: Sat, 08 June 2013, 03:53:16 »
Proficiency at that skill would have served me well during my olympic weightlifting years.

Online iri

« Reply #851 on: Sat, 08 June 2013, 04:00:15 »
i suck at that skill: can't fully bend my left knee.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #852 on: Sat, 08 June 2013, 04:04:33 »
I remember being able to do that as a child, but then my calves got too thick and I couldn't do it no more :D

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
    • My Youtube channel with some keyboard videos
« Reply #853 on: Sat, 08 June 2013, 04:17:48 »
I remember being able to do that as a child, but then my calves got too thick and I couldn't do it no more :D

HAHAHA. I remember when I was 30 pounds lighter and I could do it... now my legs and stomach make it physically impossible.

Offline Tenkeyless

• Busy Bee
« Reply #854 on: Mon, 10 June 2013, 18:34:47 »
25024-0
Soup.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #855 on: Fri, 05 July 2013, 22:18:29 »
Me and my Gramps. I only get to visit about every 6 months and he has had cancer a few times and is currently fighting it again.

27376-0

/Cross posting because life's not fair!  :-X

Offline foxer

• Formerly wadeu
« Reply #856 on: Sat, 06 July 2013, 01:38:44 »
Holy ****. You two look identical facially apart from you have more of a bear look. Besides that, so alike. :3 Rockin' the GH t-shirt too. My man!
Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken.

Offline Rayne

• For Science!
« Reply #857 on: Sat, 06 July 2013, 03:12:35 »
here is a self portrait i drew on ms paint while sitting at my desk.

i would post a real picture, but the few that i do have I'm flipping the bird :P i don't like taking my pictures so when i have to take one i like to try and sneak that in lol

Offline brialona

« Reply #858 on: Sat, 06 July 2013, 04:14:16 »
edit
« Last Edit: Sun, 23 April 2017, 00:00:58 by brialona »
ozil

Offline quickcrx702

• Ready to bomb with Vietnam tatted on my back
« Reply #859 on: Sat, 06 July 2013, 12:39:22 »
Wedding photo and my Samurai Mormon missionary costume for Halloween.
27424-1

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #860 on: Sat, 06 July 2013, 13:36:41 »
Kind of shy, but since there were some animal photos here, I'll share this little guy (his name is Maxwell, and I also have Hamilton)

- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #861 on: Sat, 06 July 2013, 13:46:31 »
Oh no!

Not more photos of small furry animals!
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #862 on: Sun, 07 July 2013, 20:00:11 »
here's one of my face :P i'm playing drums.

the dude makin the aphex twin face is eric wood from man is the bastard/bastard noise. whoa
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline ApocalypseMaow

• Kitteh Overlord
  • Say WHAAT...
« Reply #863 on: Sun, 07 July 2013, 21:40:31 »

Show Image

the dude makin the aphex twin face is eric wood from man is the bastard/bastard noise. whoa
YEAH!!! Here is mine! Dat throwback...

{WTT}HoffNudes(WTS)BLK LightSaverV2         
"#baby****fangerz" -Vesper 2015

Online iri

« Reply #864 on: Mon, 08 July 2013, 05:07:31 »
I'M ROCKING THE HOUSE!!111

(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline ApocalypseMaow

• Kitteh Overlord
  • Say WHAAT...
« Reply #865 on: Mon, 08 July 2013, 06:29:35 »
Oh yeah! Killin it.

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #866 on: Tue, 09 July 2013, 12:31:13 »
(Attachment Link) (Attachment Link)

Where's da nametag?!?!
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #867 on: Tue, 09 July 2013, 17:00:49 »

Show Image

YEAH!!! Here is mine! Dat throwback...

Show Image

hell yeah hats and a ride!! what gear do you play?
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline ApocalypseMaow

• Kitteh Overlord
  • Say WHAAT...
« Reply #868 on: Tue, 09 July 2013, 23:14:04 »
Gretsch Catalina maple kit and a Truth 15x10 custom snare.
Had a Pearl LX Export in the beginning and moved on to the Gretsch. Later bought the Ludwig Classic, before having Truth make me a kit.
The Truth kit was a 26x16 kick, 18x16 floor, and another 15x10 snare. 15" Sabian AA hats and a 24" AA med ride.
Basically loud as hell!

Offline quickcrx702

« Reply #869 on: Tue, 09 July 2013, 23:27:47 »
(Attachment Link) (Attachment Link)

Where's da nametag?!?!

I also forgot the bicycle helmet.  Either way people at the party I went to still got it, and since I had a big ass sword, nobody had the nerve to point out either missing component. Since I went to a Holloween party where a costume was required for entry, I put together the laziest costume I could think of so that I could go drink some free beer.  ROFL.

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #870 on: Wed, 10 July 2013, 07:07:24 »
...so that I could go drink some free beer.

Well that's not exactly very Mormon...
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline quickcrx702

« Reply #871 on: Wed, 10 July 2013, 10:17:44 »

Or is it?  I've met tons of "jack Mormons" that drink like fish and smoke like chimneys.

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #872 on: Wed, 10 July 2013, 12:47:59 »

Or is it?  I've met tons of "jack Mormons" that drink like fish and smoke like chimneys.

We do not speak of them.
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #873 on: Wed, 10 July 2013, 20:49:16 »
Had a Pearl LX Export in the beginning and moved on to the Gretsch. Later bought the Ludwig Classic, before having Truth make me a kit.
The Truth kit was a 26x16 kick, 18x16 floor, and another 15x10 snare. 15" Sabian AA hats and a 24" AA med ride.
Basically loud as hell!

damn, that rules. i'd love a kit with those dimensions for a lot of the stuff i've been playing. i have a friend who built a kit from shells (wood hoops, 26" bass drum, unfinished shells) that sounds so good.
i'm playing a 1964(or so) ludwig kit -- i think it's a downbeat. guessing at some of the specs but i think it's a 22x20 kick, 16x18 floor and 13x8 or 9" rack. cymbal wise i've been playing a giant beat 24" and currently 2002 black label 14" hi hats; planning on picking up a 19" or 20" thin ride to go with it. i've never tried 15" hats!

oh yeah i forgot -- my snare isnt really anything special; just a yamaha 14x6 steel, but i use a kevlar marching head. sounds pretty bad for anything that requires a lot of nuance but for hardcore and grind it's perfect -- no overtones, no need to do a good job tuning, just crank it down and blast. i use 5As and even then i split 2 emperor heads this year on one snare, but i've used the kevlar head for over a year with no sign of wear whatsoever.
« Last Edit: Wed, 10 July 2013, 20:51:40 by sth »

Offline ApocalypseMaow

• Kitteh Overlord
  • Say WHAAT...
« Reply #874 on: Wed, 10 July 2013, 21:20:55 »
Basically loud as hell!

damn, that rules. i'd love a kit with those dimensions for a lot of the stuff i've been playing. i have a friend who built a kit from shells (wood hoops, 26" bass drum, unfinished shells) that sounds so good.
i'm playing a 1964(or so) ludwig kit -- i think it's a downbeat. guessing at some of the specs but i think it's a 22x20 kick, 16x18 floor and 13x8 or 9" rack. cymbal wise i've been playing a giant beat 24" and currently 2002 black label 14" hi hats; planning on picking up a 19" or 20" thin ride to go with it. i've never tried 15" hats!

oh yeah i forgot -- my snare isnt really anything special; just a yamaha 14x6 steel, but i use a kevlar marching head. sounds pretty bad for anything that requires a lot of nuance but for hardcore and grind it's perfect -- no overtones, no need to do a good job tuning, just crank it down and blast. i use 5As and even then i split 2 emperor heads this year on one snare, but i've used the kevlar head for over a year with no sign of wear whatsoever.
Those old Ludwig kits can't be beat. Every studio I've ever been in has had a kit of those around.

I looked at doing the shell kit and building it myself, but doing that on the road is a pain in the ass. Not to mention how lazy I am... Kevlar head are awesome! You can't kill them! You couldn't be more right about tuning them, it's a lost cause.

I used A5s forever, but I finally got a set of solid brass sticks (for warming up on a pad). After using those for a week, I could play a whole hour show with marching sticks. I was awesome till I noticed how much it was wearing out my cymbals... Ended up with 5Bs or Vator A3s.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #875 on: Wed, 10 July 2013, 21:31:34 »
Those old Ludwig kits can't be beat. Every studio I've ever been in has had a kit of those around.

I looked at doing the shell kit and building it myself, but doing that on the road is a pain in the ass. Not to mention how lazy I am... Kevlar head are awesome! You can't kill them! You couldn't be more right about tuning them, it's a lost cause.

I used A5s forever, but I finally got a set of solid brass sticks (for warming up on a pad). After using those for a week, I could play a whole hour show with marching sticks. I was awesome till I noticed how much it was wearing out my cymbals... Ended up with 5Bs or Vator A3s.

mine's definitely been beat. i really need to get the bearing edges redone and i should really clean out all the lugs. it's seen better days but for 800 i couldn't turn it down.
brass sticks eh... i used to have a few pair of graphite sticks that lasted forever, but they absorb so much vibration that it kills the feel on heads and cymbals. i was playing SD9 marching sticks for a bit but went back to 5s. have you ever tried timbale sticks? straight, no taper, gives you the feel of a heavy stick with less overall weight and thinner diameter for more control. they're great for playing loud because you have that much extra weight on the end giving you a bit of extra hitting power and bounce. vic firth makes a pair that are purple (somebody's signature model but i forget) that last for quite a while too, and i usually break a stick or two most practices and shows.

Offline ApocalypseMaow

• Kitteh Overlord
  • Say WHAAT...
« Reply #876 on: Wed, 10 July 2013, 21:45:32 »
Yeah! Timbale sticks are awesome. I used some like it, it was the guy from sevendust? sig sticks? The hammer is what it's called... Those things would last forever. I remember having some that almost had a head, cause I had chipped away a tapper basically!

What kinda pedals you using? I ran the Iron Cobra stuff for a long time. Then I got a killer deal on Axis stuff, so outta morbid curiosity I got one and loved it. The hihat stand was crap, but those bass pedals are the ****. They take some getting used to, but once you get a feel for it... It's glorious!

Man, I miss nerding out on gear...

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #877 on: Thu, 11 July 2013, 00:13:33 »
i'd love to try an axis sometime but i love my iron cobra double. i really need to give it an overhaul and set it up for this bass drum. i bought a single 5000 when i moved to oakland cause i couldn't get any of my gear but i just had the chance to bring some stuff down and i haven't used it since. i have a 5000 2 leg hi hat stand and i think a 9000 snare stand. that thing does. not. move. i love it!

Offline ApocalypseMaow

• Kitteh Overlord
  • Say WHAAT...
« Reply #878 on: Thu, 11 July 2013, 02:19:53 »
Oh yeah, the Iron Cobra twin leg hihat is a champ. I can't remember how many times I've tossed that thing or someone jump into my kit and knock it over. I mostly played single pedal, for whatever reason I would have my good/bad days with double pedals. It would always be hit and miss...

Online iri

« Reply #879 on: Thu, 11 July 2013, 04:55:18 »
could you please get back to ****ing topic?

example: ApocalypseMaow, your photo is nice! i like your haircut and the fact that you perform in front of such crowd!
« Last Edit: Thu, 11 July 2013, 05:07:27 by iri »

-Ray Bradbury

Offline ApocalypseMaow

• Kitteh Overlord
  • Say WHAAT...
« Reply #880 on: Thu, 11 July 2013, 10:15:58 »
could you please get back to ****ing topic?

example: ApocalypseMaow, your photo is nice! i like your haircut and the fact that you perform in front of such crowd!
lol, Sorry iri.

Offline foxer

• Formerly wadeu
« Reply #881 on: Thu, 11 July 2013, 16:11:38 »
Me and my nerdling at the Secret Garden in Lincoln. :D

She's pulling a somewhat wtf face, haha.

Me and Bec (Doinkemon) wearing our GH t-shirts. For some reason, in the middle picture, I look like a turtle. I assure you, my eyes aren't normally like that.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #882 on: Thu, 11 July 2013, 16:19:34 »
Me and my nerdling at the Secret Garden in Lincoln. :D

Show Image

She's pulling a somewhat wtf face, haha.

Me and Bec (Doinkemon) wearing our GH t-shirts. For some reason, in the middle picture, I look like a turtle. I assure you, my eyes aren't normally like that.

Show Image

Cute kid! That's some red hair!! :cool:

Offline foxer

• Formerly wadeu
« Reply #883 on: Thu, 11 July 2013, 16:24:31 »
Thanks, man. Her hair is awesome. :D

Few more pictures and I'll stop posting them.

She's our little angel. Despite her being a ****bag, at the same time. :D

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #884 on: Thu, 11 July 2013, 16:30:29 »
Thanks, man. Her hair is awesome. :D

Few more pictures and I'll stop posting them.

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

She's our little angel. Despite her being a ****bag, at the same time. :D

I'm pretty sure with great cuteness comes great consternation on their part because they do something awful then just smile and everyone is like oh how cute.....and as a parent it's like no, don't encourage them.

I've got two little girls and yeah they can be challenging at times.

Online iri

« Reply #885 on: Fri, 12 July 2013, 01:19:34 »
this little one's picture with a dog is OOOOH SOOO CUUUUUTE

-Ray Bradbury

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
« Reply #886 on: Fri, 12 July 2013, 01:35:03 »

Show Image

Aphex Twin.
Beyond cool.

Great pics!
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #887 on: Fri, 12 July 2013, 08:36:53 »

Show Image

Aphex Twin.
Beyond cool.

Great pics!

Aphex Twin!

.......................__ ............
......<ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL>.
........................| |...........
................... __\||/____......
.\\...............|'-|--| .\\....\.....
..\ \_...........|--|---|..\\ ....\....
../ L \____,/-------\___\___\
.|LOL|-------------O----- ----,\..
..\ L /______,---''-----------, /...
../ /.............\_________ ,/....
.//.............____//___ __\\__/

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #888 on: Fri, 12 July 2013, 08:58:33 »
Yeah what iri sad. Your daughter petting the dog is SO CUTE foxer. :D

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #889 on: Fri, 12 July 2013, 22:32:16 »
Oh yeah, the Iron Cobra twin leg hihat is a champ. I can't remember how many times I've tossed that thing or someone jump into my kit and knock it over. I mostly played single pedal, for whatever reason I would have my good/bad days with double pedals. It would always be hit and miss...

i cracked my giant beat today.  >:D >:D >:D

:'(

Offline ApocalypseMaow

• Kitteh Overlord
  • Say WHAAT...
« Reply #890 on: Fri, 12 July 2013, 22:52:05 »
NOOOOOOO! Sucks so much!

Offline ImaMoFoThief

• I play DotA!
« Reply #891 on: Sat, 13 July 2013, 06:37:32 »
This is me from a quick google search, stupid twitter!
(Xender) and size probably matters
(Xender) but dont quote me on that
(Xender) and i just realized what i said

« Reply #892 on: Sun, 14 July 2013, 03:25:20 »
OK, here's a rare smile from me - probably after winning a deathmatch or something.  :D

28109-0

Offline oneproduct

• @Ubisoft
« Reply #893 on: Mon, 15 July 2013, 22:44:05 »
I got hired at THQ just after finishing university.
28270-0

Then THQ went bankrupt before I even started my first project there and we got bought by Ubisoft. This is the picture from my employee ID card.
28272-1

And here's some penguins on my head.
28274-2
Layout: Colemak
Fastest typing speed: 131 WPM on typeracer, 136 WPM on 10fastfingers.
Daily driver: Filco Tenkeyless MX Brown with ergonomically weighted, lubed springs.
Ergo keyboards: Truly Ergonomic, Kinesis Advantage, Ergodox

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #894 on: Mon, 15 July 2013, 23:37:06 »
Cute kid foxer.  Here is me and my little girl Eden  :D

28277-0
wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #895 on: Mon, 15 July 2013, 23:54:45 »
Cute kid foxer.  Here is me and my little girl Eden  :D

(Attachment Link)

Ohh, got any more pictures?  Your cat looks gorgeous.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #896 on: Tue, 16 July 2013, 15:11:29 »
What now, CPT?

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #897 on: Tue, 16 July 2013, 15:14:14 »
But it's Tuesday.
I love Elzy

Offline esoomenona