Author Topic: $350 Ips panels? What's the catch?  (Read 3323 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
$350 Ips panels? What's the catch?
« on: Fri, 21 June 2013, 04:46:50 »
Contrast ratio and related black levels are a major weakness.

The JULY 2012 budget Corean panel reviewed by tft central is around 475:1 contrast ratio, GOOD contrast ratio starts at 900:1

Contrast ratio is very important for a detailed image.

With weak contrast, so goes the black levels...  You lose all shadow detail and a great bit of fine detail with these budget IPSes... serious photoshop work is also out the window... Highly detailed textures will look flat and dull

If you are familiar with home cinema projectors, you'd know that contrast ratio and black level is EVERYTHING, the difference between a $5000 projector and a $1500 projector is pretty much ONLY in those two specs, contrast and black level

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dgm_ips-2701wph.htm

This is going to be the same species of "LG panel that's in the monoprice zero-g"  and yes it was A+ rated

All reviews on monoprice indicate poor contrast ratio and high black levels that produces an uneven washed out image.

If anyone is STILL thinking they're getting a STEAL... They are trying to TRICK YOU... 

You get what you paid for ... a $350 monitor that is $350 worse than a $700 monitor...

While you do get fully working pixels with A+, the monitor as a whole will not faithfully reproduce the material you intend to view... all that perfect-resolution to waste.

For $350... a TN panel will offer much better contrast ratio.. As contrast has always been an advantage of TN technology

The faults on these budget-IPS panels negate most of the advantages of an IPS panel....   

Save up to get the $600-700 panels, don't waste your time with these salvages...

Recycled toilet paper is good enough for one's ass....  But would you apply the same logic to your VISUAL experience?

THIS IS BULL****... I'm So angry........  They're now trying to trick people into buying garbage with A+ panel ratings... >:D

Offline Sniping

Re: $350 Ips panels? What's the catch?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 21 June 2013, 08:27:42 »
I'm pretty sure my $350 PLS monitor isn't that bad at all. Amazing colors out of the box, overclocks to 96Hz+, some guy got 144Hz on it or something, and 1000+:1 contrast ratio. Not sure if I can find too many faults except for the stupid stand and the fact that the chassis itself causes pretty much all of the backlight bleeding people find.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 21 June 2013, 08:30:27 »
I've owned and loved 2 Achieva ShiMians (27" tempered glass) for a year now.  They were more like $315 shipped (different sellers).  It was a gamble, but it was absolutely worth it.

I also have a projector, and while its not a $1500+ one, its more than adequate for a living room, as most streams are not even good enough quality to go for the highest resolution / quality projectors (I don't use cable TV, so no HD channels).  It's all in the eye of the beholder.
« Last Edit: Fri, 21 June 2013, 08:33:48 by Photoelectric »
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline tgujay

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 21 June 2013, 08:45:04 »

The JULY 2012 budget Corean panel reviewed by tft central is around 475:1 contrast ratio, GOOD contrast ratio starts at 900:1

Good contrast ratio is very important for a detailed image.

With weak contrast, so goes the black levels...  You lose all shadow detail and a great bit of fine detail with these budget IPSes... serious photoshop work is also out the window... Highly detailed textures will look flat and dull

If you are familiar with home cinema projectors, you'd know that contrast ratio and black level is EVERYTHING, the difference between a $5000 projector and a $1500 projector is pretty much ONLY in those two specs, contrast and black level

This is going to be the same species of "LG panel that's in the monoprice zero-g"  and yes it was A+ rated

If anyone is STILL thinking they're getting a STEAL... They are trying to TRICK YOU... 

You get what you paid for ... a $350 monitor that is $350 worse than a $700 monitor...

While you do get fully working pixels with A+, the monitor as a whole will not faithfully reproduce the material you intend to view... all that perfect-resolution to waste.

For $350... a TN panel will offer much better contrast ratio.. As contrast has always been an advantage of TN technology

The faults on these budget-IPS panels negate most of the advantages of an IPS panel....   

Save up to get the $600-700 panels, don't waste your time with these salvages...

Recycled toilet paper is good enough for one's ass....  But would you apply the same logic to your VISUAL experience?

THIS IS BULL****... I'm So angry........  They're now trying to trick people into buying garbage with A+ panel ratings... >:D

You mean Korean?  Still an ass, just admit it that you aren't the expert of everything.
Gotta collect them all

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 21 June 2013, 10:30:02 »

Good contrast ratio is very important for a detailed image.

You mean Korean?  Still an ass, just admit it that you aren't the expert of everything.

LOL, you don't know your history, it used to be spelled with a C" before the japanese fvked them..

I'm adhering to tradition..

You must admit at least, I know a great deal more than you do. :D

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 21 June 2013, 10:31:09 »
I'm pretty sure my $350 PLS monitor isn't that bad at all. Amazing colors out of the box, overclocks to 96Hz+, some guy got 144Hz on it or something, and 1000+:1 contrast ratio. Not sure if I can find too many faults except for the stupid stand and the fact that the chassis itself causes pretty much all of the backlight bleeding people find.

NO. it does not have calibrated 1000:1...  I can't prove this to you ,, you can believe what you want to believe... but considering the reviews from legit sources so far..  all of these ghetto ips monitors have poor contrast ratio, and very high black level... Making them poor monitors in general...

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 21 June 2013, 10:32:32 »
I've owned and loved 2 Achieva ShiMians (27" tempered glass) for a year now.  They were more like $315 shipped (different sellers).  It was a gamble, but it was absolutely worth it.

I also have a projector, and while its not a $1500+ one, its more than adequate for a living room, as most streams are not even good enough quality to go for the highest resolution / quality projectors (I don't use cable TV, so no HD channels).  It's all in the eye of the beholder.

What is your point... photo... Look I'm not bashing people's stuff.

I'm only saying,  it's $350 FOR A REASON...

And if you can accept that the flaws negate many of the benefits of IPS, then whaeves... good for you...

But the information is there.. I'm just letting people know.

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 21 June 2013, 10:42:43 »
Even though this is a valid observation I prefer viewing angles and color gamut over contrast.

The TN panels just don't fly... ever.  Thanks for the heads up tho TP
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 21 June 2013, 10:49:52 »
Even though this is a valid observation I prefer viewing angles and color gamut over contrast.

The TN panels just don't fly... ever.  Thanks for the heads up tho TP

Ok.. it's true that there is a "preference" argument here.

But.. it may only be this way for you because you've never seen a monitor that's properly calibrated with a high contrast ratio..

Just like prior to ur current IPS, you may have never seen full sRGB coverage, the color gamut that you have now..

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 21 June 2013, 10:50:52 »

And if you can accept that the flaws negate the benefit of IPS, then whaeves... good for you...

Considering that you can't get equivalent size / resolution / color depth monitors in the U.S. for $315 shipped--yeah, it's a steal.  You know I'm right, but you just like to argue :) 

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 21 June 2013, 10:57:19 »

And if you can accept that the flaws negate the benefit of IPS, then whaeves... good for you...

Considering that you can't get equivalent size / resolution / color depth monitors in the U.S. for $315 shipped--yeah, it's a steal.  You know I'm right, but you just like to argue :) 

Photo.. you're making me angry... :D

More so than this morning when i researched all this stuff, and how they're tricking people with the A+ rating.

Color depth:

Did you read about how the colors may be there, but they're not at the right brightness, and overall they blur together due to contrast problems?

YAY you can has 2560x1440 worth of the WRONG COLORS... YAY..............

Size:

many good and fast TN 27" can be had for $300

Resolution:

I've used 2560x1600 for the past 8 years. 

In terms of media consumption:

2 problems,  Lack of content,  Lack of highres textures in games.

1080p is where it's currently at, and the next wave is 4k, so skipping 2560x1440 all together..

Native resolution will always be better for movies, and gaming doesn't really take advantage of higher res at this point due to memory limitations.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 21 June 2013, 11:05:46 »
Perhaps you should read hundreds of pages on OCN about Korean monitors.  There's ALL kinds of detailed information about color depth and everything.  There's even a review or two on AnandTech with color gamuts and such.  I read many hundreds of pages before buying my monitors, and to me they are well justified.  They wipe the floor with everything at that price range when taking into consideration 1. size, 2, resolution, 3. lack of anti-glare coating (on many models, but your choice), and 3 IPS / PLS.

ETA:
Photo.. you're making me angry... :D

A good troll does not get angry :)
« Last Edit: Fri, 21 June 2013, 11:08:28 by Photoelectric »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 21 June 2013, 11:10:38 »
Perhaps you should read hundreds of pages on OCN about Korean monitors.  There's ALL kinds of detailed information about color depth and everything.  There's even a review or two on AnandTech with color gamuts and such.  I read many hundreds of pages before buying my monitors, and to me they are well justified.  They wipe the floor with everything at that price range when taking into consideration 1. size, 2, resolution, 3. lack of anti-glare coating (on many models, but your choice), and 3 IPS / PLS.

so, you've bought everything in that price range? and compared them side by side? really? wow, a millionaire like you, I would've thought you'd just grab the best one and be done with it.

Photo... you have to get past this bias you have of something you bought, and probably worked hard for in terms of the cost..

They're just really not very good monitors.

OCN is full of bunch of kids and random people that love to confirm each other on how great their purchase was...

That is why it is not a place for legitimate review and comparison.

TFT central on the other hand.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 21 June 2013, 11:20:30 »
mmm okay :)  I should have known better than to post in your thread and looking for objectivity :)  See you in other threads!

Offline tgujay

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 21 June 2013, 11:26:22 »

so, you've bought everything in that price range? and compared them side by side? really? wow, a millionaire like you, I would've thought you'd just grab the best one and be done with it.

Photo... you have to get past this bias you have of something you bought, and probably worked hard for in terms of the cost..

OCN is full of bunch of kids and random people that love to confirm each other on how great their purchase was...

Is full of idiots like you.
Gotta collect them all

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 21 June 2013, 11:42:18 »
mmm okay :)  I should have known better than to post in your thread and looking for objectivity :)  See you in other threads!

LOL :D I gave you objectivity 475:1 vs 900:1...  You wouldn't accept this HUGE deficiency as proof..

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 21 June 2013, 11:48:30 »

Is full of idiots like you.

Tgujay, you must be late to the internet.. Insults like that are too mild.. they're almost invisible, if your intention is to troll, you have to link the insult to something personal, like my ergodox, or a close relative...

For example..

If I don't watch my mouth I'm going to get banned.