Author Topic: Why are there no backlit Filco keyboards?  (Read 8290 times)

Offline whyarentfilcobacklit

Why are there no backlit Filco keyboards?
« on: Sat, 15 September 2018, 12:11:32 »
I demand change and progress.

Offline Findecanor

Re: Why are there no backlit Filco keyboards?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 15 September 2018, 12:57:18 »
Answer: Because Filco has class.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 15 September 2018, 15:38:38 »
Probably because that would mean north facing leds for cap shine through and Filco is smart enough to know that doesn’t work with GMK keycaps

That and ... Filco has class

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 15 September 2018, 16:53:55 »
One day our race will have a working warp drive. I have faith Filco can figure out how to get around any backlighting obstacles.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 15 September 2018, 18:24:02 »
Because Filco and Costar are aimed at commercial sales, not end users.

Offices don't need backlighting, they just want a keyboard that lasts.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 15 September 2018, 18:28:41 »
You're killin' me, smalls!

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 15 September 2018, 18:30:48 »
why would you ruin a filco like that
I love Elzy

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 15 September 2018, 20:47:43 »
One day our race will have a working warp drive. I have faith Filco can figure out how to get around any backlighting obstacles.

Because Filco and Costar are aimed at commercial sales, not end users.

Offices don't need backlighting, they just want a keyboard that lasts.

Yes for the longest time it's because the way Costar stabilizer is designed doesn't allow clearance to fit LED lights.  But then later on they managed to figure it out for WASD CODE keyboard so it's still possible (had to alter stabilizers a bit for CODE keyboard).

In short it's mainly:

1. Cost, Costar made backlit keyboards are fairly expensive.
2. Their main target audience is office users.
3. Yes Filco has class.
4. Though they lost some respect when they made Filco camo.
5. Filco ninja (front facing legend) is the best invention ever.

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline wholypantalones

• text and icon mods plz.
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 15 September 2018, 22:59:27 »
I have a Filco TKL I converted to an aluminum plate for switch top opening, cherry plate mount stabs and made my own usb daughter board. It's one if the best boards I've used outside of all the customs I've built.

If Filco would add cherry stabs and a detachable cable, I'd buy 10 of the damn things and they would actually be worth the price.

« Last Edit: Sat, 15 September 2018, 23:04:42 by wholypantalones »

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 16 September 2018, 01:17:39 »
Ergonomics
Ambient room-light illuminating passive key surfaces is better for your eyes. That is more beneficial for you in the long run as you progress through the years.
Blue light is especially bad, both outside and indoors. Piercing light in a dark room is especially bad.

I think it might have been TG3 who first made backlit Cherry MX keyboards — but for rugged and industrial purposes, such as in police vehicles, industry and other conditions where lighting is difficult to control. In those use cases, you don't use the keyboard for long periods at a time.

Modern mobile devices have light sensors that adjust the light output of the screen to ambient conditions. Modern screens with high-fidelity requirements for its contents instead illuminate the surroundings to even out differences. Modern operating systems can even adjust the colour temperature of the screen to match the Sun's changing output throughout the day. I have never heard of any keyboard having any of this, except for side-glow.

Structure
The prevailing logical convention for placement of symbols on keycaps uses vertical positioning for Shift-key state and horizontal positioning for Alt Gr-key state. That is why symbols conjured without any modifier are in the lower-left corners and upper-case letters are in the upper-left corners. Keys that have the same meaning with or without Shift pressed have left-justified vertically-centred legends. (PS: notice the two symbols on the Tab key)

Filco makes keyboards with Cherry MX switches. Cherry MX was not made for backlighting in the first place. The LED and its window are designed to be in the front, for additional indicators, not for illuminating the legend surface. The orientation of the switch and the shape of the switch housing were designed together with thick-walled keycaps so that they fit together: if you change the orientation of the switch, the high-quality thick keycaps may not fit.
Backlit keyboards with Cherry MX are a hack: they tend to move the LEDs and legends around to illuminate letters only on the top half, centred horizontally, thus breaking the convention. They almost always illuminate quite unevenly. This  means that some keyboards, such as those from Corsair have secondary legends that are not illuminated at all, and tertiary legends (Alt Gr) are often missing completely. Also, many keyboards have transparent switches, reflective key bottoms and insides of keycaps to make light more even — but which fail because the LED is still on one side and the key stem in the middle still obscures the light, and only produces extra light bleeding out the sides.

Change
What backlighting can provide that is useful IMHO, is to use different colours on different keys, or even on different symbols, to show different configurations. But light emission needs to be analogous to how light is reflected during ambient light.

What backlighting needs is:
* Ambient light sensors to adjust the intensity of the light to the surroundings automatically. I have only heard of laptops having this. This can be done on keyboard as well. I think this would be better done through standardised system-wide systems that influence multiple peripherals at once.
* Blocking/evening out of unnecessary saturated blue light by default. Never heard of, but easy to do. Don't install blue LEDs, and block saturated blues in software and firmware.
* Switch systems that illuminate the whole key surface, i.e. the centre of the key and the whole of longer keys as opposed to one point on one edge. Not Cherry MX. Omron and Kailh have centre-illuminated key switches. Supplementary LEDs could be placed beside them for more illumination.
* Insulated light guide, to avoid light-bleed. Not Cherry MX. Opaque insulation around LEDs: both in switch and around supplementary LEDs.
* Keycaps that let light through its legends without struts (Not the norm, even for Cherry MX). Keycaps need to be double-shot moulded with both transparent and opaque plastic.

An older alternative type of night-time keyboard illumination would be to have a special-purpose light, such as the Thinklight.

Or just mount a desktop lamp and light it. Much easier.
« Last Edit: Sun, 16 September 2018, 01:32:05 by Findecanor »

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 16 September 2018, 17:59:09 »

Ninja are nice. I have a TKL Ninja I use for my older computers that need ps/2 or AT. But what would be even better is a backlit Ninja! Or would it be front lit? Or side lit? 

Offline Hyde

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 17 September 2018, 15:17:37 »

Ninja are nice. I have a TKL Ninja I use for my older computers that need ps/2 or AT. But what would be even better is a backlit Ninja! Or would it be front lit? Or side lit? 

I think massdrop had something like that a few times here and there.  Somehow it never got that popular which I find it odd, thought it would be the trend.

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline jamster

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 20 September 2018, 00:59:56 »

Damn, that was exactly the same wording as I thought of as soon as I read the question.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 20 September 2018, 07:44:50 »

Damn, that was exactly the same wording as I thought of as soon as I read the question.

Blank keycaps = Maximum Class.

Both Filco and Das run with it.. I think Das had it first

Offline Hyde

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 20 September 2018, 19:42:28 »

Blank keycaps = Maximum Class.

Both Filco and Das run with it.. I think Das had it first

I still think Ninja (front printed) is best of both worlds.  And visually looks nice too.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 20 September 2018, 20:02:57 »

I still think Ninja (front printed) is best of both worlds.  And visually looks nice too.

Ninja was cool when they first introduced it..

For people using standard layout , it's an alrite compromise on blank-style..

But, one doesn't graduate keyboard skool until  custom layout, blank keycaps..

keeb-Bachelors is like a korean custom

Then u get ur keeb-Masters w/ ergodox.

Anndddd... I guess fully diy custom would be keeb-PHD.

Offline JianYang

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 21 September 2018, 06:58:41 »
If you want backlight, buy a razer :p