Author Topic: Bohemian Rhapsody  (Read 1598 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Bohemian Rhapsody
« on: Sat, 02 February 2019, 21:00:49 »
Just watched it.

What can one say ??..   Rami Malek Nailed it.. !!

For only the first 30 seconds, I was just waiting for him to pull out a rooted android phone and hack stuff..

But AFTER 30 seconds,  That Freddie Shriek just came alive..  It was All There..

Impeccable story telling, WITHOUT gratuitous nudity or uncomfortably long homoerotic groping,  Just flashes to get the point across and back to the main arc..

Well done, well paced, thoroughly enjoyably informative.

The 4K disc doesn't quite make use of HDR highlights, but that's also unnecessary for a film driven by story and sound,  rather than visuals. Nonetheless, the color grading was aptly done.

The film was overall visually _Soft_ , in my opinion this choice was critical because it gave the impression of recollection. This had also been quite a long film, so removing sharp detail made it easier to witness without tiring eyes..

Tp4 , Nominally, Does NOT watch anything without spaceships / aliens / robots / computers,  But Bohemian Rhapsody had at least one of these things, The Alien Mercury.

212074-0

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
Re: Bohemian Rhapsody
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 02 February 2019, 21:04:31 »
I thought the movie was really poorly written and paced with little to no character development or arcs. Never got a chance to better know or understand any of the characters, and the final scene at Live Aid where they are in the call center was just garbage.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 02 February 2019, 21:09:19 »
I thought the movie was really poorly written and paced with little to no character development or arcs. Never got a chance to better know or understand any of the characters, and the final scene at Live Aid where they are in the call center was just garbage.

/headscratch.. really ?

It's a biographical film, so characters don't develop, they just act as they are.

As far as understanding -more- of the other characters, Overall, the ONLY character is Freddie, because the rest of Queens are just regular guys along for the ride.

They are regular guys who were INSTRUMENTAL to the existence and development of the Band. However, if we were to critique the situation correctly, they are no different than the car Freddie rode in, or a spoon he's used.  All important objects in the Saga of Freddie Mercury, but objects all the same.

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 02 February 2019, 21:53:20 »
I may check this out on my flight tomorrow. It is between this and Wonder Woman.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 02 February 2019, 21:57:11 »
I may check this out on my flight tomorrow. It is between this and Wonder Woman.

I'd save it for your HT system at home for best effect.. since it is a "music" movie.

Offline navy2x

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 02 February 2019, 22:32:16 »
Haven’t gotten around to watching it yet. Recently finished A Star is Born and I’m kinda tired of sad musician tales for awhile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 02 February 2019, 22:33:25 »
Haven’t gotten around to watching it yet. Recently finished A Star is Born and I’m kinda tired of sad musician tales for awhile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's on my list,  Not out on UHD yet though, only the 1080p version's out.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 02 February 2019, 23:34:32 »
I'll second that.

The prosthetic they used looked horrible and stole my attention for half the movie and the final shots at live aid was bottom budget green screen. I mean seriously, how much can a better prosthetic and better than home user green screen level effects cost these days compared to the budget of a film like this? Seems like a stupid place to cut corners.

Take out the music and this is just typical low budget garbage with a star name attached to make it sell.
I'm not saying you need money to make a good movie, but we're talking about Queen and Freddy Mercury, one of the best singers and bands in rock history, they couldn't scrape together just a little more for writing and effects? This could have been an epic film, ranked as one of the best ever, one that like the music, people would talk about for years, maybe decades, instead we got Real Housewives of Beverly Hills trash tv with a great soundtrack and lead.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 02 February 2019, 23:42:19 »
I'll second that.

The prosthetic they used looked horrible and stole my attention for half the movie and the final shots at live aid was bottom budget green screen. I mean seriously, how much can a better prosthetic and better than home user green screen level effects cost these days compared to the budget of a film like this? Seems like a stupid place to cut corners.

Take out the music and this is just typical low budget garbage with a star name attached to make it sell.
I'm not saying you need money to make a good movie, but we're talking about Queen and Freddy Mercury, one of the best singers and bands in rock history, they couldn't scrape together just a little more for writing and effects? This could have been an epic film, ranked as one of the best ever, one that like the music, people would talk about for years, maybe decades, instead we got Real Housewives of Beverly Hills trash tv with a great soundtrack and lead.

I'm not sure if perhaps, certain audience is choosing to focus on the less consequential aspects of the movie.

I'm not saying there isn't slop anywhere, but they didn't seem that big an issue for a biography.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 03 February 2019, 00:02:02 »
I'm not saying there isn't slop anywhere, but they didn't seem that big an issue for a biography.

The qualifications for "biography" can be pretty loose.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 03 February 2019, 01:52:06 »

Yup, this basically sums up my feelings. The music parts were great, but everything else was just derivative. The film took zero chances, it barely even tried to be anything more.