Author Topic: Painting Happy Hacking Keyboard Keycaps  (Read 17183 times)

Offline jackyyll

Painting Happy Hacking Keyboard Keycaps
« on: Tue, 12 February 2013, 19:36:48 »
Does anyone have any experience painting keycaps? Specifically the hhkb ones. I've got black keys with lettering that I'd like to paint, not sure what color yet but I'm trying to see what methods people usually use and what paints. Other than painting, is dying a black keycap even possible?

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
Re: Painting Happy Hacking Keyboard Keycaps
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 12 February 2013, 19:40:09 »
don't paint keycaps, the paint will wear off and look terrible after a very short time.

i know they're pricey but your best bet is to buy the color you want from EK or lurk the classifieds for a set.
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline jackyyll

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 12 February 2013, 19:44:45 »
I am buying another set, so I will have spare keys to fool around with. I didn't know if anyone has done this before. Aren't there types of paint that will work for this sort of application?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 12 February 2013, 19:46:11 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Painting - not really.  Apart from auto paint.

Some people dip their keycaps in various chemicals to colour them.

Others use nail polish.

Still others have tried dye, with wildly varying results.

As sth suggests, the best, most consistent and most durable result is obtained by simply purchasing a set of custom coloured keycaps.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 12 February 2013, 19:46:51 »
there may be but honestly it's just a matter of time until the coating wears out, and it will wear unevenly and be very difficult to retouch. have you thought about trying to trade them for a white set you could dye?
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline jackyyll

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 12 February 2013, 20:02:05 »
there may be but honestly it's just a matter of time until the coating wears out, and it will wear unevenly and be very difficult to retouch. have you thought about trying to trade them for a white set you could dye?

How well do the white keycaps dye? Do they have to be letterless ones?

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 12 February 2013, 20:03:03 »

How well do the white keycaps dye? Do they have to be letterless ones?
depends... there are some folks here who have had good experiences dying but i am drawing a blank on their names, sorry. you can dye the lettered keys as well, and the black lettering should show through the dye just fine.

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 12 February 2013, 22:12:55 »
I dyed my M (see wiki for pics). Reds and oranges work well, the greens blues and others...not so much, IIRC.

Offline whiskerBox

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 12 February 2013, 22:16:18 »
iMav dyed his HHKB an it looked sick maybe he will pop in and post some pics
"I'm on a mission to bring down GH's anarchy of moderators" -RIPSTER jr.

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 12 February 2013, 22:43:50 »
From the old wiki? "Works slick!" Heh.

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 12 February 2013, 23:03:16 »
Yes, iMav's HHKB keys looked _amazing_.  I'm sure the pics were consumed when the forum went down, I will try to see if iMav has them backed up somewhere.

Lots of people have tried painting and dyeing keycaps.  Like sth said, painting never works for more than a few weeks or months, and dyeing takes a lot of experimentation to get right typically.  That said, of all the keycaps out there, HHKB caps seem to do the best with dye.

Offline jackyyll

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 06:41:29 »
That's great to hear! I think I'll try trading my current keycaps for white blank ones and see if I can't type them how I'd like to :)

Offline guilleguillaume

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 21:18:34 »
This is iMav's HHKB Pro 2:

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 21:48:53 »
That's nice - I hadn't seen that before :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 22:31:12 »
There we go, thanks guilleguillaume.

Offline BlindRAGE606

• Prince of All Saiyans
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 22:45:36 »
That is one sexy HHKB.

DUCKY TKL MX BLACK | HHKB PRO 2 | BEAST PH&LACEWOOD

Offline whiskerBox

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 14 February 2013, 08:15:34 »
Oh man I also forgot about o2dazones HHKB

I think this may be his {if not please correct me so credit gos where its do}

« Last Edit: Thu, 14 February 2013, 08:19:16 by whiskerBox »

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 14 February 2013, 09:18:17 »
That looks awesome! They look like they were NIQMod'd or similar. Judging by the watermark (as I'm sure you did) I think that's his HHKB.

Offline guilleguillaume

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 14 February 2013, 09:33:59 »
I forgot about o2dazones too. His keycaps were amazing.

By the way, Does anyone know anything about where he is? It's been a while since I saw him around.

Offline Acetrak

• ssk.ℜ
  • gnawm_
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 14 February 2013, 09:34:17 »
Are those dyed as well? Regardless they look really awesome, makes me want to give DIY coloring caps a try O.O

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 14 February 2013, 09:35:36 »
So... Not a HHKB, but my M came out well as well.

Offline Dgsbllx

« Reply #21 on: Thu, 14 February 2013, 09:37:09 »
SmallFry, any chances of a guide or a link to one? These look real nice

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 14 February 2013, 09:40:26 »
I did mine pre-W0rm when the "Rit Dye" Thread was up. I used a whole box of red dye with half the water they asked for (I think) and stirred a LOT. I think I also added a bit of salt, some say it's worth it, some don't. So, to be safe, I added it.

Try with some Model M keycaps before you do your Topre keycaps, as I don't come with a warranty. :P

Offline whiskerBox

« Reply #23 on: Thu, 14 February 2013, 11:38:11 »
That looks awesome! They look like they were NIQMod'd or similar. Judging by the watermark (as I'm sure you did) I think that's his HHKB.

Didn't even see the watermark lol

Offline o2dazone

« Reply #24 on: Thu, 14 February 2013, 12:47:18 »
Are those dyed as well? Regardless they look really awesome, makes me want to give DIY coloring caps a try O.O

Was linked to this post from mike (or magic meatball or whatever he calls himself here)

Yeah, they were rit dyed. The PBT takes the dye real well. I wrote a tutorial on it, and basically just followed the same tutorial posted here a while back (and scoured a lot of old posts). I believe the first person I saw do this was iMav, the legend himself.

A couple more photos of the ritdyed keys, and other keyboard stuff
http://www.flickr.com/photos/o2dazone/sets/72157621999490674/

My tutorial
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=27237.0

cant find the original tutorial, maybe lost in the great ripster/gh divide?

Original iMav post
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=4962.0

Offline Acetrak

• ssk.ℜ
  • gnawm_
« Reply #25 on: Thu, 14 February 2013, 16:19:59 »
Wow thanks for the info, they came out awesome!

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #26 on: Thu, 14 February 2013, 18:22:33 »
I did mine pre-W0rm when the "Rit Dye" Thread was up. I used a whole box of red dye with half the water they asked for (I think) and stirred a LOT. I think I also added a bit of salt, some say it's worth it, some don't. So, to be safe, I added it.

Try with some Model M keycaps before you do your Topre keycaps, as I don't come with a warranty. :P

Salt makes the water hotter.  :D

But all the stirring would've cooled it.. so..... idk...

Offline Plater

« Reply #27 on: Fri, 15 February 2013, 02:54:13 »
Wow, all your keyboards looks amazing! Is hhkb really that amazing to type with?

Offline o2dazone

« Reply #28 on: Fri, 15 February 2013, 11:09:03 »
I'm a big fan. But people equally love Cherry boards. It's all what you prefer

Offline Plater

« Reply #29 on: Thu, 21 February 2013, 02:30:44 »

Was linked to this post from mike (or magic meatball or whatever he calls himself here)

Yeah, they were rit dyed. The PBT takes the dye real well. I wrote a tutorial on it, and basically just followed the same tutorial posted here a while back (and scoured a lot of old posts). I believe the first person I saw do this was iMav, the legend himself.

A couple more photos of the ritdyed keys, and other keyboard stuff
http://www.flickr.com/photos/o2dazone/sets/72157621999490674/

My tutorial
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=27237.0

cant find the original tutorial, maybe lost in the great ripster/gh divide?

Original iMav post
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=4962.0

Anyone can find the the tutorial again? These links are down at the moment.

Offline GordonZed

« Reply #30 on: Sun, 24 February 2013, 22:42:48 »
Through my years of tinkering with all types of things, I'd say it's probably very possible to paint them, but as with painting anything that's going to receive some abuse, it will take some serious experimenting before you find anything that will give you any sort of longevity. So I doubt it will be easy, I just wanted to play devil's advocate in response to all the people saying it's not possible.

Also, I'm new here, so feel free to take my opinion with a grain of salt, but I am a tinkerer, and I'm a firm believe in the "if there's a will there's a way" philosophy, but I also believe that even if there's a will, doesn't mean the way will always be easy.
Filco Majestouch Ninja TKL (MX blue)

Offline jackyyll

« Reply #31 on: Mon, 18 March 2013, 10:49:03 »
Hell yeah, thanks for all these replies guys. Didn't even notice them til now.

I'll have to check over that tutorial on RIT dyeing the keys, I have some ideas of what I'd like to do. I just have to trade my old keycaps for white ones now :o

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #32 on: Mon, 18 March 2013, 11:42:13 »
This was a thread that helped me quite a bit:

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=35444.msg742090#msg742090
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #33 on: Mon, 18 March 2013, 17:51:21 »

Salt seems like an odd thing to add.  Generally you add vinegar (an acid) when you're dying with Rit since the acidity helps the material take the dye better.