Author Topic: Hhkb questions  (Read 862 times)

Offline Error213

Hhkb questions
« on: Tue, 20 April 2021, 10:47:40 »
Ok, so I plan on getting an hhkb for my birthday which is coming up, here are some questions I have with it.

Can it support mx style keycaps?
How difficult is it to silence it or maybe add some redux domes?
Should I lube the switches (I am aware they are not switches I just can’t think of another name)
Can I lube the stabs?
Does it have software?
Is it really worth the extra ~120$ to get it silenced for you?

Yeah that’s it

Offline rogers140

Re: Hhkb questions
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 21 April 2021, 00:25:57 »
PFU HHKB does not support mx keycaps out of the box. You might have to replace the slider with something like this:https://www.originativeco.com/products/mx-sliders

It has a type-s which is supposed to be more silent than non type-s, but I personally does not feel too much a difference. So IMHO, not worth extra $120 to get that.

HHKB itself does have software to let you remap keys.

As for lubing topre switches, I didn't do that so I don't know
HHKB Hybrid Type S / Tokyo 60

Offline adhoc

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 25 April 2021, 13:09:20 »
No, not without purchasing stems separately, and those are not official parts.
Not very, there are o rings you can buy cheaply. Alternatively, a Type S exists that does the same but from the factory. These keyboards tend to "whistle" and after many years of using a Type S, I have come to dislike it.
You can lube the board easily, but you do have to take it apart. It's a very easy procedure, although a bit time consuming. See a guide for that here: https://www.mechblog.org/post/95009796509/hhkb-lubing-and-silencing-pictured-1-pro-jp-2
Yes, you can lube the stabs.
The Hybrids ones can be remapped, the others can not (but they have DIP switches for some customization of the layout), not without an additional non-official purchase.
Depends on how much you value your money. For someone well off probably, but you can do it yourself easily in an hour or two.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 26 April 2021, 09:27:35 »
Give it some more time, if it gains more popularity they'll clone it well into the $25 range.

There's nothing super special about topre. The feel is very similar to the regular silicone dome sheets that we're all used to.

Mx style switches in general are far more interesting flavor-wise.   Paying the weeb Topre premium is unreasonable and you'll ask yourself, eventually, WHY ? You can get an aluminum custom for that much. 

NOT THAT I'm recommending you get an aluminum custom.

The only 1 TRUE BOARD is the Ergodox.