Author Topic: 'Weighted' board with e.g. Reds and Blacks?  (Read 3253 times)

Offline ergonaut

'Weighted' board with e.g. Reds and Blacks?
« on: Wed, 23 October 2019, 03:17:31 »
Hi,

I read somewhere that some Topre boards are available in 'weighted' versions, which utilize lighter springs for the weaker fingers. Since I can't be bothered with modding switches, I'm wondering whether a similar effect could also be achieved by using lighter and heavier versions of the same MX switch, e.g. Reds and Blacks, or maybe even in three strengths like Gateron Red/Yellow/Black?

Specifically, I'm thinking of using the lighter switches for all pinky keys and all hold-down modifier keys.

Has anyone tried something like this?

Offline yui

Re: 'Weighted' board with e.g. Reds and Blacks?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 23 October 2019, 03:37:18 »
It is most definitely possible but most pinky keys in realforce (weighted topre) are heavier so you do not actuate them by mistake (if i recall chyros review correctly, would recommend to double check), and topre uses rubber domes for the action the springs are just for the sensing and are always incredibly light.
I am planing on doing such a dual weight board but using heavier switches on the lock keys (insert caps and scroll)
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline rxc92

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 23 October 2019, 04:16:26 »
It is most definitely possible but most pinky keys in realforce (weighted topre) are heavier so you do not actuate them by mistake (if i recall chyros review correctly, would recommend to double check), and topre uses rubber domes for the action the springs are just for the sensing and are always incredibly light.
I am planing on doing such a dual weight board but using heavier switches on the lock keys (insert caps and scroll)

The part about the side keys being a bit heavier is true and for that reason, but the standard 45g Topre switches are heavier than Blue/Brown/Red MX switches, and 55g noticeably so. 

To the OP, I believe that mechanicalkeyboards.com carried some keyboards with heavier spacebars. The better way than buying MX Red/Black would be to buy the type of spring you want, as MX Red and Black switches are drastically different in weight; it would be impossible to type normally with such a sharp contrast in force required. For instance, you could have 55g springs with default keys and 62g etc. on outer ones. This does require switch disassembly but no manufacturer (outside of Topre) offers the same type of switch in such close weight intervals.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 23 October 2019, 04:57:21 »
I use 100 and 120g springs as you suggest - all pinky keys are lighter.  If you can't keep your pinkies from accidentally pressing keys when they're short and weak you have bigger things to worry about than spring weights :))

As above red and black is a no though, too big a weight difference.
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Tactile

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 23 October 2019, 05:56:55 »
228696-0
REΛLFORCE

Offline ergonaut

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 23 October 2019, 11:14:21 »
Thanks for your answers!

I have to admit I'm a bit puzzled by the weight figures given here – suicidal_orange, are your springs really that heavy (100, 120) or is that a different measuring method or something?

Also, in Tactile's post it seems that the pinky keys on that Realforce are indeed lighter (as I had thought), but yui and rxc92 have written that it is the other way round...

Offline ergonaut

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 23 October 2019, 14:47:31 »
It's gimmicky. 

:D

That may be the case, but I'd be willing to give it a try! I probably won’t, though – if it involves retrofitting countless switches with custom springs sourced from god-knows-where, my laziness won’t permit it.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 23 October 2019, 18:50:15 »

Cherry mx switches need to remake lock

Offline yui

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 24 October 2019, 00:49:03 »
It's gimmicky. 

:D

That may be the case, but I'd be willing to give it a try! I probably won’t, though – if it involves retrofitting countless switches with custom springs sourced from god-knows-where, my laziness won’t permit it.

Sellers like kdbfans sells them but in packs of 110 (i know them because i browsed their store a few days ago there is likely other sellers, and if you are in the US maybe cheaper) and it would not be countless switches, if you are only talking pinky keys i would guess a maximum 30 so not that many.
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline ergonaut

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 24 October 2019, 02:30:54 »
Sellers like kdbfans sells them but in packs of 110 (i know them because i browsed their store a few days ago there is likely other sellers, and if you are in the US maybe cheaper) and it would not be countless switches, if you are only talking pinky keys i would guess a maximum 30 so not that many.

Thanks for letting me know. I might have exaggerated a little ;)

Offline Riverman

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 24 October 2019, 15:34:57 »
Also, in Tactile's post it seems that the pinky keys on that Realforce are indeed lighter (as I had thought), but yui and rxc92 have written that it is the other way round...
The pinky keys on a Realforce are definitely lighter.  I'm typing on one right now.  They're light enough to border on mushy if you press them with any other finger, which is probably why quite a few people, myself included, prefer uniformly weighted Realforce keyboards.  Unfortunately those are rare and more expensive.  The keys on a variable weight Realforce that are heavier than normal are the escape and num lock keys.

Offline rxc92

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 24 October 2019, 19:40:26 »
The pinky keys on a Realforce are definitely lighter.  I'm typing on one right now.  They're light enough to border on mushy if you press them with any other finger, which is probably why quite a few people, myself included, prefer uniformly weighted Realforce keyboards.  Unfortunately those are rare and more expensive.  The keys on a variable weight Realforce that are heavier than normal are the escape and num lock keys.

You're right, I haven't used a variable weight myself so I must've gotten it backwards. However, the uniform have never been more expensive than variable weight for the same price; rarer, perhaps, as the variables seem to sell better in Japan (i.e. the majority of their customers).