Author Topic: "Ghetto" Topre?  (Read 3421 times)

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
"Ghetto" Topre?
« on: Thu, 13 June 2013, 20:35:25 »
This is something I've been thinking about for a little bit.  It seems you can get a keyboard or POS system like the Wincor-Nixdorf for cheap.  Looking at some internals from some of them, it looks like they use a thicker rubber overlay over a PCB or membrane.  It seems like you could get some cheap conical springs, toss them under the domes, and get a "ghetto" Topre keyboard.

Of course, this could just be the ramblings of a mad man. 

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
Re: "Ghetto" Topre?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 13 June 2013, 20:38:43 »
The springs in Topre do not add to the feel of the switch they are only for the capacitince mechanism

Offline kmiller8

• Banned
  •  Post Reporting Timeout
  • Who is that kmiller8 guy?
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 13 June 2013, 20:40:11 »
The springs in Topre do not add to the feel of the switch they are only for the capacitince mechanism

they do add 5g according to one keyboard "expert"

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 13 June 2013, 21:03:01 »
the work involved, you might as well just buy a topre... :D

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 13 June 2013, 23:25:38 »
A typical rubber dome board doesn't even have a PCB, and the switching mechanism in a Topre board is pretty unique. I'm pretty much positive that this wouldn't work at all.

Offline Rule16

• R.I.P. SmallFry
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 14 June 2013, 10:02:55 »
Whats this? tp4 telling someone to buy a topre?! Well this is going in my signature.
| KB Paradise V60 Maias Quiet Click | Realforce 55gram 87U | MiniTouch (Ivory Hua-Jie) | Poker II | IBM Model F | Unicomp Ultraclassic | Dell AT101W (Black Alps) | WASD Code (Clear) |
Dvorak Only Zone

Offline wetto

• Brazil's Keyboard Enthusiasts Representative
    • Portuguese Mechanical Keyboard Guide
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 14 June 2013, 12:06:40 »
Whats this? tp4 telling someone to buy a topre?! Well this is going in my signature.

Thought he'd say for sure:

Quote from: tp4issue
Screw that ****! Buy an ergodox and join the master race!

If you can mod a ****ty keyboard, why not create an awesome one instead?
« Last Edit: Fri, 14 June 2013, 12:08:43 by wetto »
My collection:
More
Mice: Logitech G602, CM Storm Recon, CM Storm Spawn, Razer Naga, Ozone Radon Opto, Corsair M60, Tesoro Gandiva, CM Storm Alcor, Mionix Naos 8200.
Keyboards: Matias Secure Pro, Matias Mini Quiet Pro, custom modded Metadot Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (MX Brown, Costar), CM Storm Trigger (MX Brown), Noppoo Choc Mini (MX Red), Tesoro Lobera G5NFL Supreme, CM Storm Devastator.
Soon: CM Storm Quick Fire TK (MX Brown), CM Storm Trigger Z.
Boards I don't own anymore: CM Storm Quick Fire Rapid (MX Black), Logitech K800 (Membrane), Logitech G710+ (MX Brown), Thermaltake Meka G-Unit (MX Black), Corsair K70 (MX Red).
Mice I don't own anymore: Logitech G9x MW3, Corsair M65, Logitech G700, Roccat Kone Pure.

Offline fateswarm

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 14 June 2013, 15:21:55 »
I'd rather properly lubricate MX browns and call it "ghetto topre". They are pretty good but the friction is immense (and I don't think it's only a problem when pressing them slowly, that's only the easiest way to consciously detect it). So any oiling that does remove the tactile event I think is an improvement.

I heard of issues of dust getting into them. It sounds easily fixable with blowing compressed air into them. It pushes out anything and it seems to not damage the mechanism.