Author Topic: I want to build a keyboard on my own i dont know where buy the parts XD  (Read 1778 times)

Offline geronimoste

hi im a noob about keyboards and i want to know where buy the parts i need to build my first keyboard i want to know where buy a pcb and other components
ty so much

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • * Marketplace Moderator
  • snoozing
Re: I want to build a keyboard on my own i dont know where buy the parts XD
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 11 February 2018, 09:46:40 »
What specifications do you have, do you want a tkl keyboard or do you want fullsized, 60%? etc What switches would you want to have? Costar or cherry stabs? Alu or plastic case? We need more info to help you :)
Very busy with studies atm.

Offline Zobeid Zuma

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 11 February 2018, 10:40:49 »

Offline geronimoste

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 13 February 2018, 04:44:10 »
80 % keyboard and idk what type of switches idc if kail or cherry or watherver ^^
and aluminium case :D
« Last Edit: Tue, 13 February 2018, 04:55:41 by geronimoste »

Offline rich1051414

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 13 February 2018, 07:38:14 »
80 % keyboard and idk what type of switches idc if kail or cherry or watherver ^^
80%? Do you mean TKL, or 75%?

75%:
188811-0

TKL:
188813-1

I only ask because it will help you look for the correct keywords knowing the common vernacular.

As far as switches go, I can't help without knowing your tastes, but I can give three recommendations(trying to avoid weighting extremes so the weighting is pretty middle of the road)

Linear(No tactility at all):
Gateron Black

Tactile(Tactility you can feel):
Mod M

Clicky(Tactility you can hear and feel):
Kailh Box Jade

Theres a LOT of choices just as good or maybe even better for you than these, but it is possible to be spoiled for choice, so I just grabbed my personal favorites instead :)

For keycaps, if you want to stray away from OEM profile, I recommend DSA profile as most people find them pleasing to the eye and to type on, and since they are mono-profile, it makes things SO MUCH BETTER. You don't have to worry about keys having the wrong row profile, which can be a headache. However, if you do choose a DSA keycap set, make sure your keyboard has feet so you can tilt it. They are not sculpted in any way and sit flat, so you need to add tilt using feet.

SA caps are mostly for the looks, but the extreme profiling and tallness makes them not great to work with or really to type on(switch dependent). SA can feel wonderful or terrible depending on the switches you use, and the exact amount of tilt the keyboard sits at. They look really retro though, but that is their strongest card. I would not recommend it to someone who actually wants to enjoy typing more.

For the keycap printing method, I will explain the common printing methods and their strengths and weaknesses.

Pad printed: Cheap. Color is very bold. Rubs off over time.
Laser Etched: Cheap.  Color is very subtle. Finger oils build up in the etchings, making them even less bold and sometimes dirty looking, which happens almost immediately. Does not rub off over time.
Double shot: Expensive. Color is very sharp and bold. Never rubs off.
Dye Sublimed: Cheapish. Rare. Color is very bold but fuzzy/blurry. Smudges over time but does not rub off. Makes the keycaps look fuzzier with age, like anti-aliasing or something. (Some people like how this looks)
« Last Edit: Tue, 13 February 2018, 08:04:20 by rich1051414 »
Siig Minitouch with Orange Alps, Whitefox 60% Zealios 67g, Realforce 87U 55g Topre, LFK SMK/Alps TKL With SMK 2nd Gen Cherry MX mount switches, NEC APC-H412 NEC Blue Ovals, Unicomp Model-M Spacesaver, XMIT Hall Effect, WASD Code Cherry MX Clear, KBDFans75 Lubed Gateron Greens, Azio MGK L80 Kailh Brown, XD84 Pale Blue Box Kailh, NIB Pingmaster TMK Converted, KPrepublic XD96 Blue aluminum case with Jade Box Kailh

Offline Zobeid Zuma

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 13 February 2018, 09:39:57 »

Here's the quick-and-easy way…

1. Get a Filco Majestouch 2.  Be sure you get one with switches you'll be happy with, since that's the hardest thing to change later.  (i.e. blue switches if you like clicking)

2. Get a TEX aluminum case.  They're not the cheapest, but they are super nicely made, which is what you want or else you wouldn't be shopping for aluminum.

3. Whatever keycaps strike your fancy.

4. "Pegasus Hoof" replacement controller, to make your keyboard fully programmable.

The only thing you'd really gain by building a keyboard from parts (like say a Phantom TKL) is a lot more switch options.  I've built a Phantom with BOX Navy switches, I'm typing on it now, but it was a lot more involved than modding a Filco.