Author Topic: Ergodox general discussion (2014)  (Read 1500 times)

Offline intelli78

Ergodox general discussion (2014)
« on: Thu, 05 June 2014, 16:17:45 »
With all the recent Massdrop activity on the Ergodox, I figure it's time for a new discussion thread. I just got mine built last night (from the March drop) -- happily, mine worked great once it was all put together. I do have a few tips to pass along for assembly that weren't totally clear from Massdrop's instructions:

- Make sure you solder diodes on the opposite side of the PCB that you intend to install switches on (the bottom).
- ALL other components including switches, IO expander, Teensy, USB and TRRS jacks go on the top.
- When soldering SMD diodes, DO NOT apply solder to both pads first. If you do, the first side you tack down will cause the whole diode to be angled instead of flush against the PCB, and tacking down the second side will stress and possibly break the diode. I killed 14 diodes this way and had to run to Radioshack to get some replacement thru hole diodes.
- If you are using switches with diodes preinstalled, you do not need to solder SMD or thru hold diodes. Just make sure the orientation is correct, which will entail opening some switches.

I hope these tips help someone.

Here's mine - switches are vintage browns. Eagerly awaiting my Granite order to doll it up...

And my layout - second and third layers are disabled for now, just getting used to the first. This thing is harder than I expected to type on. There are a few keys I'm having to totally retrain my fingers for.

Who else just built one, or is about to? Tell us your plans.
« Last Edit: Thu, 05 June 2014, 16:20:52 by intelli78 »
Please consider carefully before you decide to comment, for Jesus.

Offline steve.v

Re: Ergodox general discussion (2014)
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 06 June 2014, 10:36:55 »
I was in the same drop. Assembly went great, first time soldering. The led lights has positive and negative current noted by length of their LEDs; didn't realize this. Loved the custom layouts. I type in colemak; was an easy one day transition. I went with .015 rosin, good for diode work, too small for other components, wish I had a spare .030. There were lots of complaints about the thumb cluster etc; its fine for me. If I had to change anything, bring the ortho columns of the pinky and ring fingers lower, USB over trrs cables, and would prob prefer browns over blues.

Offline intelli78

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 06 June 2014, 13:40:17 »
First time soldering?  :-X I'm impressed that you nailed it. Nice work.

I'm getting more accustomed to the layout after using it for a couple days. My WPM is increasing. I've also revised my layout.

https://www.massdrop.com/ext/ergodox/?referer=KQJNA3&hash=d5251c85c3002d87c0e095fed89fe8a7

Offline intelli78

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 06 June 2014, 13:54:16 »
Tenting  is KEY...  30-40 degrees..
Show Image

Definitely. I am going to have a buddy make me a replica of the Ergodock, which is no longer available.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 06 June 2014, 13:55:46 »
Only thing stopping me is price. I want to try one.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline EvillePanda

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 06 June 2014, 14:00:26 »
Tenting  is KEY...  30-40 degrees..
Show Image

I'm actually looking at creating some sort of leather lap contrivance that I can slide the ErgoDox into for traveling so if I don't have access to a table the right height, I can still keyboard comfortably without worrying about the board sliding all over the place.
Visit the Typing Test and try!