Author Topic: I have seen the light.  (Read 3122 times)

Offline SerenadedAbyss

• Orezaku
I have seen the light.
« on: Thu, 13 December 2012, 12:51:38 »
I finally tried out Cherry MX Red switches on that Cosair Vengence K60 keyboard...

AND THEY ARE AWESOME. Its so floaty and a real joy to type on compared to a blue switch.

I wish I had some spare money for a filco red switch or a leopold tenkeyless...
-/ Rosewill RK-9000BR - Leopold CODE VB2 TKL BROWN \-

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: I have seen the light.
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 13 December 2012, 12:57:26 »
Well, It's OK to like the reds.

But, whatever you do, DO NOT get the Corsair keyboards.

They have an unfixable defect.. Sticky key issue. HAS yet to be fixed... Google K60 Ghosting corsair forums...

Reports Still come in on the defect, they simply can't fix it.  :rolleyes:

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 13 December 2012, 13:11:34 »
So you tried a backlit keyboard? ;)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline nullstring

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 13 December 2012, 14:18:19 »
I still think I'd rather use browns than reds... I'd have to buy to actually try to use a keyboard with mx reds to know for sure though.

HMMMMM

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 13 December 2012, 14:57:41 »
And so your collection starts ...
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline SerenadedAbyss

• Orezaku
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 13 December 2012, 15:03:14 »
Well, It's OK to like the reds.

But, whatever you do, DO NOT get the Corsair keyboards.

They have an unfixable defect.. Sticky key issue. HAS yet to be fixed... Google K60 Ghosting corsair forums...

Reports Still come in on the defect, they simply can't fix it.  :rolleyes:

I know better then to get a cosair keyboard. Besides, a nice chunk of the keys have rubber domes underneath, and that sucks.

So you tried a backlit keyboard? ;)

No, I haven't. Do you have a recommendation for a backlit red switch or any decent backlit for that matter?

Offline lazerpointer

• ya gotta stay phresh
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 13 December 2012, 15:07:53 »
Wait for February for the WASD tenkeyless... it's supposedly gonna be back lit. That's what I'm waiting for anyway.
i type, therefore i geekhack

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 13 December 2012, 17:00:51 »
Get a Rosewill RK9000RE, they are currently on sale at newegg for $55 with the EMCJHJJ232 coupon code. It's a pretty decent keyboard, I am typing on one right now. It's not mine but I picked it out for my parents pc.

Offline firebt

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 13 December 2012, 17:07:53 »
Lol, yeah, once I felt the reds and their butter smoothness, I feel like nothing compares.  Especially now with my writing class, this is awesome.

If you like backlit, go for the Ducky Shine II.  It's pretty sweet, you can set which keys are lit up for customizable profiles, up to two of them, which are saved inside the board.  Also supports NKRO and also can disable WinKey.  Personally really like the reactive mode, which makes each key light up only when you touch it.

Ducky offers almost every LED color with the switch types, so its kind of nice.  Look into it, mechanicalkeyboards.com has some.

Offline SerenadedAbyss

• Orezaku
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 13 December 2012, 17:18:32 »
Wait for February for the WASD tenkeyless... it's supposedly gonna be back lit. That's what I'm waiting for anyway.

I saw the blog post on the WASD site. The design for the tenkeyless looks awesome. I totally want to save up some money for one and get rid of my Leopold TKL Blue switch.

Offline SerenadedAbyss

• Orezaku
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 13 December 2012, 17:19:45 »
Get a Rosewill RK9000RE, they are currently on sale at newegg for $55 with the EMCJHJJ232 coupon code. It's a pretty decent keyboard, I am typing on one right now. It's not mine but I picked it out for my parents pc.

I would love to... but Newegg won't ship their Rosewill keyboards to my state.

Offline ShortStock

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 13 December 2012, 17:29:26 »
you can get the cm quickfire rapid reds  if you dont mind the tenkeyless format

and say goodbye to your paycheck :)

Offline cytoSiN

• ATCG
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 13 December 2012, 18:17:29 »

^  This.  What's up with that restriction?
Model M 1391401 1989 || Ducky DK9008G2 Pro LE || XArmor U9BL-S LED || CM Storm QuickFire Rapid

Offline SerenadedAbyss

• Orezaku
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 13 December 2012, 19:11:46 »

It has to do with some green laws or something for my state. So Newegg decided to not ship any of their Rosewill keyboards here.

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 13 December 2012, 19:32:05 »
My girlfriend had similar experience.  She likes MX Blue and tried MX Red and instantly loved it.  But she thought MX Brown is "okay".  Which I find weird because MX Brown is basically MX Blue + MX Red.

lol but glad you like it.  Usually it takes a while to get used to MX Red but I guess it wasn't an issue for you  :P

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline firebt

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 13 December 2012, 19:53:30 »
My girlfriend had similar experience.  She likes MX Blue and tried MX Red and instantly loved it.  But she thought MX Brown is "okay".  Which I find weird because MX Brown is basically MX Blue + MX Red.

lol but glad you like it.  Usually it takes a while to get used to MX Red but I guess it wasn't an issue for you  :P

I don't know...the browns really don't resemble the click that the double body plunger the MX Blues have.  It just feels like a bumpy red, which, I don't know, didn't feel that great.  I personally feel that the Reds smoothness makes it awesome for gaming and typing, as long as you can get used to bottoming out with very minimal force.  After a while, you get used to pressing the keys very lightly, but beware, any other keyboard is going feel very stiff afterwards.  As for tactile feedback, you should be pretty aware of what your fingers are doing lol.  More for typing Id say, hence why Blacks and Reds are more gamer switches. 

It's all user preference, I mean browns are cool, but they definitely don't beat the feel, look or rarity of the Reds.

Offline Polymer

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 13 December 2012, 20:05:57 »
Reds really aren't that rare anymore..they're much more common now..especially because  no one seems to want blacks any longer...

I can see why people dislike browns..or don't see a point..but there is definitely a tactile feel the reds don't have...I think people just wish it was a bit more defined...It does take slightly more force for actuation too so it isn't as light as reds...

I can definitely see some sort of Ergo Clear becoming really popular...Clears have a much more defined bump but I think they ramp up to needing too much force which I think is tiring..might be good to train you to not bottom out but I think they're quite tiring to use...So something with a more defined bump, a bit more effort to push but something that doesn't ramp up so quickly after actuation...

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 13 December 2012, 22:06:24 »
Reds really aren't that rare anymore..they're much more common now..especially because  no one seems to want blacks any longer...

I can see why people dislike browns..or don't see a point..but there is definitely a tactile feel the reds don't have...I think people just wish it was a bit more defined...It does take slightly more force for actuation too so it isn't as light as reds...

I can definitely see some sort of Ergo Clear becoming really popular...Clears have a much more defined bump but I think they ramp up to needing too much force which I think is tiring..might be good to train you to not bottom out but I think they're quite tiring to use...So something with a more defined bump, a bit more effort to push but something that doesn't ramp up so quickly after actuation...

Sounds like Cherry Blue to me.

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 14 December 2012, 00:24:23 »
Lol, yeah, once I felt the reds and their butter smoothness, I feel like nothing compares.  Especially now with my writing class, this is awesome.

If you think they're butter smooth now, then try lubricating them. I think you might orgasm on the keys after typing on some lubed reds.

Offline firebt

« Reply #19 on: Fri, 14 December 2012, 08:05:59 »

If you think they're butter smooth now, then try lubricating them. I think you might orgasm on the keys after typing on some lubed reds.

I heard lolol.  Ive been considering lubing, but everyone said that I need to desolder and take apart board to lube.  I mean, I guess I could just put some grease on the sliders but there would be no way to access the springs without doing that. So we'll see...plus I game so not TOO light...but...hehehe we'll see

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 14 December 2012, 08:11:28 »

It has to do with some green laws or something for my state. So Newegg decided to not ship any of their Rosewill keyboards here.

No, rosewill keyboards probably cause cancer.

Offline SerenadedAbyss

• Orezaku
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 14 December 2012, 13:43:58 »

No, rosewill keyboards probably cause cancer.

I happen to have a RK9000BR I bought back in January before this change... and happen to be responding to this via that board. I happen to be quite fine. So post your dislike for Rosewill boards somewhere else. Mine has served me quite well.

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
« Reply #22 on: Fri, 14 December 2012, 14:16:43 »
Topic: "I have seen the light"

...And it's the headlights of my womans car as she tries to run me down after the FedEx deliveryman hands me another keyboard

Dude, RUN!!!

Offline nullstring

« Reply #23 on: Fri, 14 December 2012, 14:20:09 »
Been thinking about this lately.
Seems as though, as you use cherry keys more and more the tactile bump on the browns might become more and more useless... as muscle memory will now take care of everything.

I am now strongly considering buying a keyboard with reds now. Ugh.