Author Topic: GPU getting too big  (Read 813 times)

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
GPU getting too big
« on: Sat, 27 April 2024, 16:04:57 »
Finally updated to dat 7900xtx since the price dip.

It's ridiculous, also the power consumption.

307634-0

307636-1

Offline Findecanor

Re: GPU getting too big
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 27 April 2024, 16:24:37 »
"Getting" ? ;-þ

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 27 April 2024, 16:37:00 »
They've always been too big?

Offline Rhienfo

• Why is everything I want here so expensive :(
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 27 April 2024, 18:59:18 »
My gpu barely fit in the case when I built it. idk if that's just been a recent problem, since this was the first pc that I ever had.
fjell | hhkb bt

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 28 April 2024, 02:35:56 »
Bah, you are weak, tp4!

Fished the GPU out of my 1984 IBM 5155 recently, look at this one!

And tis is from the then-equivalent of a laptop, remember xD .
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline TomahawkLabs

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 28 April 2024, 11:29:11 »
GPU is too big. I have a 3080 and I have to remove my fans to remove the GPU because I opted for a cube case to save desk space. My 1070ti looks like a toy compared to it.
Always looking for Alps SKCM/SKCL switches. Feel free to DM.
AMD 5600x | RTX3080 | 2x 1TB NVME + 4x 4TB HDD | B550M Pro-P | 32GB RAM | RM850x | Node 804 | Schiit Modius/Magnius + Audeze LCD-2 | Dell S3422DWG
GMMK 1 Full Size Barebones | Zealio 67g ; Apple M3501 handwired | Alps SKCM Damped Cream
SA: Camping

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 29 April 2024, 03:00:32 »
Show Image

Old-skool has defeated the Tp4.
Show Image

Capable of 320 x 200 resolution in four colours simultaneously, or 160 x 100 in a glorious 16 colours!
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 29 April 2024, 05:36:47 »
Capable of 320 x 200 resolution in four colours simultaneously, or 160 x 100 in a glorious 16 colours!

Back then the colours actually meant' something.

Nowadays, they advertise the 12bit colors, 4096 shades per channel, but in reality, we're barely breaking 10bit depending on luminance.

Offline TomahawkLabs

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 29 April 2024, 08:26:01 »

Nowadays, they advertise the 12bit colors, 4096 shades per channel, but in reality, we're barely breaking 10bit depending on luminance.

How much is the average person missing out by not calibrating their monitors/TVs?
Always looking for Alps SKCM/SKCL switches. Feel free to DM.
AMD 5600x | RTX3080 | 2x 1TB NVME + 4x 4TB HDD | B550M Pro-P | 32GB RAM | RM850x | Node 804 | Schiit Modius/Magnius + Audeze LCD-2 | Dell S3422DWG
GMMK 1 Full Size Barebones | Zealio 67g ; Apple M3501 handwired | Alps SKCM Damped Cream
SA: Camping

Offline mohawk1367

• Typing on: HHKB Pro Hybrid Type-S
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 29 April 2024, 09:56:49 »

How much is the average person missing out by not calibrating their monitors/TVs?
a LOT. i remember i spent like 2 hours calibrating my living room tv to be perfect (or as close as it could get) and then like a month later i noticed that it looked awful. i asked my dad (color blind and also eyesight degradation) and he said "it looked weird so i changed it" i was like  :'(

i also noticed that Gran Turismo looked weird and i went to the PS5 hdr settings and they were completely default, this dude bought a 4k HDR tv and didn't even properly set up HDR on the PS5
« Last Edit: Mon, 29 April 2024, 09:59:21 by mohawk1367 »
someone needs to make an aussie keyboard community called QMƎɹ┴⅄. get it? haha :D

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Typing on: Brutal60, Lavenders Linears, GMK Jamon
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 29 April 2024, 18:13:40 »
GPUs aren't too big; coolers are too big. In trying to push performance, they're also pushing voltage and therefore heat
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 29 April 2024, 19:54:49 »
Sitting here, pants all wet, Tp4 refusing to turn on the AC.

With 77 inch oled (150w), 7900xtx (350w), (7800x3d, 50w) this room is 87 degrees.

If we turn on the window midea-u AC for this room, all together that's 1-Kilowatt an hour just to play video-games.

Offline Sniping

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 30 April 2024, 12:48:04 »
Sitting here, pants all wet, Tp4 refusing to turn on the AC.

With 77 inch oled (150w), 7900xtx (350w), (7800x3d, 50w) this room is 87 degrees.

If we turn on the window midea-u AC for this room, all together that's 1-Kilowatt an hour just to play video-games.

Show Image

kinda sad how much less efficient gaming pc's are compared to consoles. consoles come in at an attractive price, all the games are well optimized, power consumption and noise levels are reasonable. are you considering the new oled gaming monitors?

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 30 April 2024, 16:02:19 »
are you considering the new oled gaming monitors?

Not at this point. I ask myself, what does 360hz480hz actually do. Motion clarity, ok, what's that for, to optimize the "play" of yet another "competitive" murder simulator. Tp4 has aged out of murder simulators for a while now, kekeke.

Relative to big panels, the drawback is sustained brightness, monitor sizes do not have the surface area to dissipate the heat, so they sustain peak highlights for much shorter durations before monitor ABL knocks it down.  This is fine for the most part, but if you watch alot of HDR movies / tv shows, the TV can cast more light and hold it.

If you're buying ANY monitor right now, get the QD-OLED, but if you got the room to yourself, and you're not obsessive about murder-simulators, Tp4 recommends 77" for better multi-use adaptability.  At current prices, IPS doesn't make much sense.

LG WRGB OLED is fine if you think you can use and drive the 480hz, but most people will probably be happier with better colors on the Samsung QD-OLED at 360hz.

Finally, undeniable advantage for monitors, Tp4 really likes curved, and you can't find it in large tvs anymore. Curved is better, not an opinion, it's a fact. You can see more of the monitor in visual focus without moving your eye,  Curved = Superior.  The human visual acuity field is very narrow, every little bit helps.

Offline Sniping

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 30 April 2024, 16:43:35 »
are you considering the new oled gaming monitors?

Not at this point. I ask myself, what does 360hz480hz actually do. Motion clarity, ok, what's that for, to optimize the "play" of yet another "competitive" murder simulator. Tp4 has aged out of murder simulators for a while now, kekeke.

Relative to big panels, the drawback is sustained brightness, monitor sizes do not have the surface area to dissipate the heat, so they sustain peak highlights for much shorter durations before monitor ABL knocks it down.  This is fine for the most part, but if you watch alot of HDR movies / tv shows, the TV can cast more light and hold it.

If you're buying ANY monitor right now, get the QD-OLED, but if you got the room to yourself, and you're not obsessive about murder-simulators, Tp4 recommends 77" for better multi-use adaptability.  At current prices, IPS doesn't make much sense.

LG WRGB OLED is fine if you think you can use and drive the 480hz, but most people will probably be happier with better colors on the Samsung QD-OLED at 360hz.

Finally, undeniable advantage for monitors, Tp4 really likes curved, and you can't find it in large tvs anymore. Curved is better, not an opinion, it's a fact. You can see more of the monitor in visual focus without moving your eye,  Curved = Superior.  The human visual acuity field is very narrow, every little bit helps.

all great points, i'm also not gaming too much these days and kind of feel like I should have gone with a larger screen than the 42" than I have right now. the new qd oled 32" panels are all looking quite attractive with all the features offered though, and I'm really surprised that some of them, like the MSI 32 URX is coming in at under $1000. one thing I don't love is about oled's is that buying used is pretty shaky with burn in/abuse risk, so buying new is the most sensible choice. gets so expensive though..

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 30 April 2024, 17:05:38 »
The 77 inch s90c samsung qd-oled is $2000 at Costco w/ 5 year warranty and $150 shop card bonus. So, effectively $1850.

That is 5.76 x 32" monitors, the 77 inch is a way better deal.

Samsung oled prices, might go up in a year or 2 because they know they've got the best technology at this point. The current low price is there just to squeeze LG.

Buhh... If TCL makes good on JOLED, which they will. We can see $1400- 77 oled inchers.