Author Topic: What's Bothering You? (The thread about what is bothering you.)  (Read 4195877 times)

Offline Starius

Re: What's Bothering You? (The thread about what is bothering you.)
« Reply #26600 on: Thu, 16 May 2019, 06:27:54 »
Looking for a movie to watch and saw Black Panther is apparently the best film EVER made according to Rotten Tomatoes? Honestly I don't even think it was the best MCU film ever made, let alone of all-time. It's not even in my top 5 MCU movies. Seeing the Top Movies list is just insanity. Wonder Woman? Coco? The Last Jedi? Looking at this I really can't put any faith in Rotten Tomatoes anymore.

The difference between the "Critic" score and the "Average Audience" score is usually more telling.  I find that specifically, the "Critic" score is the aspect you can't really trust anymore. 
For example, look at the these score differences between The Orville and Star Trek Discovery. 

And yeah, I thought Black Panther was good, but not best MCU movie of all time good.  I think that was one of the movies where the SJWs succeeded in directing the public conversation of the film. 

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #26601 on: Thu, 16 May 2019, 06:52:15 »
And yeah, I thought Black Panther was good, but not best MCU movie of all time good.

No no not just the best MCU movie, RT critics are saying it is the best movie ever made. Out of every film in the history of mankind. Pure insanity.

Offline Starius

« Reply #26602 on: Thu, 16 May 2019, 09:15:15 »
And yeah, I thought Black Panther was good, but not best MCU movie of all time good.

No no not just the best MCU movie, RT critics are saying it is the best movie ever made. Out of every film in the history of mankind. Pure insanity.

It ain’t no Citizen Kane, I’ll just say that. 
But I don’t think I want my super hero movies to be that either.
Though, I think The Watchmen comes close.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #26603 on: Thu, 16 May 2019, 09:35:58 »

RT critics are saying it is the best movie ever made.

The action and effects were excellent, but like most of these recent movies, and particularly the Marvel ones, they are very fun and entertaining while I am sitting there, but when I walk out the door I start thinking about how weak and gratuitous the plots are and how they just seem fabricated as framework for visual assault.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #26604 on: Thu, 16 May 2019, 09:38:52 »
Looking for a movie to watch and saw Black Panther is apparently the best film EVER made according to Rotten Tomatoes? Honestly I don't even think it was the best MCU film ever made, let alone of all-time. It's not even in my top 5 MCU movies. Seeing the Top Movies list is just insanity. Wonder Woman? Coco? The Last Jedi? Looking at this I really can't put any faith in Rotten Tomatoes anymore.

The whole time I was watching it in the theatre, I kept thinking it looked like it had at least 5 different directors and/or editors.  It's almost like there were 3-4 different movies and they were all edited together.  And most of it looks like it was obviously shot on a sound stage.  Roll credits and sure enough, there were a TON of production groups on this project.  The story was good.  The acting was acceptable.  The main characters were engaging enough (many of them stereotyped, but it's a superhero movie).  I just can't get past the hodgepodge feel of the final product. 

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #26605 on: Thu, 16 May 2019, 10:47:44 »

The whole time I was watching it in the theatre, I kept thinking it looked like it had at least 5 different directors and/or editors.  It's almost like there were 3-4 different movies and they were all edited together.  And most of it looks like it was obviously shot on a sound stage.  Roll credits and sure enough, there were a TON of production groups on this project.  The story was good.  The acting was acceptable.  The main characters were engaging enough (many of them stereotyped, but it's a superhero movie).  I just can't get past the hodgepodge feel of the final product. 

It's no deeper or shallower than any other superhero movie.

No complaints over here.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #26606 on: Thu, 16 May 2019, 12:29:29 »
Music was awesome imo, story-line was decent (only comics I read where a few variants from the x-men 90s reboot), and acting was decent.

Either way I feel that the Black Panther movie was a positive step forward in the superhero movie world.

Like others have said I'm not big on superhero movies in general.  Though I just became aware that Nightcrawler has appeared in a few movies, so I some catch-up to do.

Apparently there are sentinels in x-men movie series now, so that's cool.

Anyway, there's my two-cents for someone to dump on.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #26607 on: Thu, 16 May 2019, 12:39:04 »
Looking at this I really can't put any faith in Rotten Tomatoes anymore.
At film-forums, people have lamented the fall of Rotten Tomatoes at what seems a long time ago by now ...

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #26608 on: Thu, 16 May 2019, 14:31:30 »
Looking at this I really can't put any faith in Rotten Tomatoes anymore.
At film-forums, people have lamented the fall of Rotten Tomatoes at what seems a long time ago by now ...

Well their JOB is to advertise/ sell the movies.

So it's very clear how they're gonna lean..

Nothing stops us from watching the films and deciding for ourselves..

I DO believe Black Panther is one of the most important films to come out of late, as Chadwick Boseman serves as a relatable, Kewl, Positive Role Model for young Black people.

Letitia Wright as well for portraying a young female scientist.

Obama is a good guy, but he's not good looking and doesn't jump on cars.

There's simply too much Thug-Culture being proliferated by exploitative media.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #26609 on: Thu, 16 May 2019, 18:31:33 »
To say Wonder Woman is better than Alien, Godfather, and Citizen Kane is just.... just wrong.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #26610 on: Thu, 16 May 2019, 18:32:48 »
To say Wonder Woman is better than Alien, Godfather, and Citizen Kane is just.... just wrong.

WW is better than Godfather/ Citizen Kane for certain.

Alien is definitely >> WW

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #26611 on: Thu, 16 May 2019, 18:35:38 »

WW is better than Godfather/ Citizen Kane for certain.

I'm offended on a deep and personal level

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #26612 on: Thu, 16 May 2019, 19:05:43 »

I'm offended on a deep and personal level

I've attempted to watch the godfathers series 10+ times now.  Have not succeeded in getting past the first 30 minutes.

And even though I've seen the first 30 minutes 10+ times, it was of so little intrigue that I don't remember any names of the characters or what happened.  Everytime felt like the first time and equally boring.

Citizen Cane is just boring.  saw it in english class , they had it on VHS.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #26613 on: Thu, 16 May 2019, 19:08:30 »
I find Casablanca boring, but that doesn't make it a bad film. And I can step outside my personal tastes to see that it's objectively better than something like Wonder Woman.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #26614 on: Thu, 16 May 2019, 19:10:26 »
long weekend actually ****ing me over cuz i have work deadline
I love Elzy

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #26615 on: Thu, 16 May 2019, 19:12:27 »
I find Casablanca boring, but that doesn't make it a bad film. And I can step outside my personal tastes to see that it's objectively better than something like Wonder Woman.

In what way is it objectively better ?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #26616 on: Thu, 16 May 2019, 19:13:48 »
long weekend actually ****ing me over cuz i have work deadline

In Jpn, there are no weekends, and the deadline is always yesterday.  That's why even normal workers do Meth just to stay occupationally relevant.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #26617 on: Thu, 16 May 2019, 19:17:28 »

In what way is it objectively better ?

Writing, acting, character development and arcs, world building, pacing. The dialogue in Cb completely smokes WW in every way. The only thing WW would hold over Casablanca are technical feats like sound design, but certainly not cinematography, even for it's age it was shot much better.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #26618 on: Thu, 16 May 2019, 19:18:47 »
I love the P-5000, but I think all the movies in the Alien franchise are just meh.  Not enough tech to keep me eyes glued.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #26619 on: Thu, 16 May 2019, 19:46:39 »

Writing, acting, character development and arcs, world building, pacing. The dialogue in Cb completely smokes WW in every way. The only thing WW would hold over Casablanca are technical feats like sound design, but certainly not cinematography, even for it's age it was shot much better.

That's the same type of argument for how Vinyl is better than CDs.

Every story element has been done in some form.  Every camera pan has been tried, every character arc has been explored.

We've crossed the point of striving for Originality.  To evaluate a film of today, it must be more standalone and in the modern Context.

For example, on dialog.  The reason they talked alot in older movies, was because that was just about the only thing they COULD do.  There wasn't much to SHOW YOU, so they spent the bulk of it Speaking the story.

EVEN THOUGH, in truth, they didn't impart all that much information. We could say, the BITRATE of the STORY was much lower in old movies.

In a MODERN MOVIE,  they don't need to TELL YOU about the ISLAND of Butch Women,  They just Show You an island with butch women.

That's the difference in why dialog is no longer prioritized.

In terms of Character development,  There are only a handful of character types, and they all do more/less the same thing, wearing different cloths.

A more modern audience does not need to be Retold as extensively this process of where each piece fits, because they've had access to a massively larger back catalogue all their life.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #26620 on: Thu, 16 May 2019, 19:48:16 »

In a MODERN MOVIE,  they don't need to TELL YOU about the ISLAND of Butch Women,  They just Show You an island with butch women.

Where?

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #26622 on: Thu, 16 May 2019, 19:56:16 »

Where?

Did you not see WW ? hahahaha

I see that you typed two Ws.  I'm guessing that they don't stand for Word War 1 in this context

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #26623 on: Thu, 16 May 2019, 20:11:40 »

Where?

I see that you typed two Ws.  I'm guessing that they don't stand for Word War 1 in this context
Wonder Woman. They showed the island of the mythological Amazonian women from Greek legend.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #26624 on: Thu, 16 May 2019, 20:53:31 »

Where?

Wonder Woman. They showed the island of the mythological Amazonian women from Greek legend.

0_0

Offline rich1051414

« Reply #26625 on: Fri, 17 May 2019, 06:10:46 »
Superglued my pocket knife shut... again.
Siig Minitouch with Orange Alps, Whitefox 60% Zealios 67g, Realforce 87U 55g Topre, LFK SMK/Alps TKL With SMK 2nd Gen Cherry MX mount switches, NEC APC-H412 NEC Blue Ovals, Unicomp Model-M Spacesaver, XMIT Hall Effect, WASD Code Cherry MX Clear, KBDFans75 Lubed Gateron Greens, Azio MGK L80 Kailh Brown, XD84 Pale Blue Box Kailh, NIB Pingmaster TMK Converted, KPrepublic XD96 Blue aluminum case with Jade Box Kailh

Offline Kavik

« Reply #26626 on: Fri, 17 May 2019, 09:47:48 »
Unpopular opinion: I find all the super hero movies boring. They are all identical in plot, pacing, and formula, and so much of each movie is CGI that it's like watching a two hour video game cut scene. I also find them somewhat infantalizing. It's ok to like kid stuff, but it just seems these movies take themselves too seriously, as do their viewers. I think they would be better as animated films, like the 90s Spiderman or 90s X-men cartoons, but those already exist, so why redo them?

Another observation: they are no longer "comic book movies" since the movies are now the canon and the comic books follow them. I remember when people complained about some plot point or character detail that the movie got wrong compared to the comics. Now people don't even read comics, so the movie is automatically the new standard.

Also, Aliens (with an s) is one of the best action movies ever made, tied with The Terminator and Terminator 2.
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #26627 on: Fri, 17 May 2019, 10:14:47 »

Also, Aliens (with an s) is one of the best action movies ever made, tied with The Terminator and Terminator 2.

T1 is pretty slow/ boring by modern standards.  But this is where it began, so , imperfect first steps are just that.

Aliens and T2, no complaints here.

MCU movies, well... I think as time went on, the team up mechanic became a burden because they had to cut to so many characters.

From here, they'll probably do less team up and more focus films, which would feel more spacious w/ more time for personalized plots.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #26628 on: Fri, 17 May 2019, 10:25:42 »
I should refrain from replying when I'm tired.  A year or two ago I stopped watching The Walking Dead due to differences from the comic plotline.  I guess I'll watch a few Aliens movies again--see if my opinion has changed.

Offline Kavik

« Reply #26629 on: Fri, 17 May 2019, 11:04:41 »
I should refrain from replying when I'm tired.  A year or two ago I stopped watching The Walking Dead due to differences from the comic plotline.  I guess I'll watch a few Aliens movies again--see if my opinion has changed.

It's only Aliens that good in my recollection (the second movie). The first one is ok, but it's basically just a slasher movie in space. Aliens 3 is meh, almost like Terminator 3: the same bad guy but in a different form factor (dog), but not as good. I don't really remember Resurrection or Aliens Vs. Predator, so I can't comment on those.

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #26630 on: Fri, 17 May 2019, 23:56:53 »
Linux updates borked my installation.
Here I go formatting again.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #26631 on: Sat, 18 May 2019, 00:11:54 »

keeping rolling iso backup is a big time saver.

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #26632 on: Sat, 18 May 2019, 00:37:17 »

I'll check that out, thanks.
I should be doing rolling backups, I just haven't looked into it yet.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #26633 on: Sat, 18 May 2019, 09:20:23 »

If heard good things about timeshift from the podcasts I listen to. 

My box runs a nightly cron job for borgbackup (similar).  Saved me from reformating a 2+ year install a week ago.  Dang seg fault while attempting to chroot to fix the issue.. that sucked. 

Pretty sure people run Timeshift without having to write scripts or run cron jobs.  I tested borgbackup before I used it for snapshots.  I'd do the same with any backup software tbh.  The best part is unlike tar or (shivers) writing the entire system to a. iso file.  I don't have to boot into a live usb everytime I need to snapshot the system.  And it uses less drive space.

I'm not a computer scientist or anything, I just enjoy avoiding monolithic updates and or backups. 

Soon we'll have OpenZFS feature parity with FreeBSD *mad scientist laughter*

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #26634 on: Sat, 18 May 2019, 13:03:13 »
Trying to put a jungle gym together, they aren't kidding when they say it is a 2 person job.

I have no one to help me and this sucks.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #26635 on: Sat, 18 May 2019, 13:15:36 »
Trying to put a jungle gym together, they aren't kidding when they say it is a 2 person job.

:(

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #26636 on: Sat, 18 May 2019, 13:19:22 »

:(

Sounds like a good excuse for a cookout :)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #26637 on: Sat, 18 May 2019, 13:19:36 »

/Headscratch..

Hrrrrrrm...... why can't wifu help ?

Offline clankgy1

• Formerly digifiend
« Reply #26638 on: Sat, 18 May 2019, 13:33:22 »
So I am putting together a TADA68 I have had in my closet for a good long while.

Got everything put together, tested, all is well.  Mount into case and start typing, and the 'w' key doesnt work.  Pull it apart, and sure enough I did a ****e job on the soldering.  I resolder, check all soldering joints, put shelf liner in case, and cant get the plate/pcb back into the case.  Take it out, screw in PCB to case to test.  Strip screw trying to get it out.

So the board works fine, but doesnt sound nearly as nice without the liner.  And I can't get the PCB/plate out to re-add the liner.

I went and bought a screw extractor, but those screws are *small*.
RF87U 55g (damaged)  |  AV3 w/POM Plate  |  Thermal (to be built)  |  ID80v1 (to be rebuilt)  |  Tokyo60

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #26639 on: Sat, 18 May 2019, 14:10:58 »

/Headscratch..

Hrrrrrrm...... why can't wifu help ?

She's grocery shopping, I tried to get one of the kids to help but that didn't help either.
I really need to find some longer bolts though, these bolts they supplied for the bottom connections are barely long enough and it's making the job that much harder. EDIT: Just ordered longer bolts, they only came in a 50 pack...I needed like 12.
« Last Edit: Sat, 18 May 2019, 14:30:18 by SpAmRaY »

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #26640 on: Sat, 18 May 2019, 14:23:51 »
Had an on-call come in at like 11:30 this morning cuz the power went out at one of our clients, and I have been sitting in front of my computer waiting for their **** to come back up; it's been like 4 hours, comon Jersey electric people fix your ****...
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #26641 on: Sat, 18 May 2019, 14:29:10 »

If heard good things about timeshift from the podcasts I listen to. 

My box runs a nightly cron job for borgbackup (similar).  Saved me from reformating a 2+ year install a week ago.  Dang seg fault while attempting to chroot to fix the issue.. that sucked. 

Pretty sure people run Timeshift without having to write scripts or run cron jobs.  I tested borgbackup before I used it for snapshots.  I'd do the same with any backup software tbh.  The best part is unlike tar or (shivers) writing the entire system to a. iso file.  I don't have to boot into a live usb everytime I need to snapshot the system.  And it uses less drive space.

I'm not a computer scientist or anything, I just enjoy avoiding monolithic updates and or backups. 

Soon we'll have OpenZFS feature parity with FreeBSD *mad scientist laughter*
Gonna try out Timeshift, thanks. :thumb:

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #26642 on: Sat, 18 May 2019, 16:15:19 »
Stupid milk ALWAYS spoils when I buy some, and well before the expiration date. Every single time milk is such a ****ing scam. I used it ONE TIME for coffee and three days later, 5 days before exp, it was spoiled. I hate buying milk I HATE IT!

Offline Kavik

« Reply #26643 on: Sat, 18 May 2019, 16:52:09 »
Stupid milk ALWAYS spoils when I buy some, and well before the expiration date. Every single time milk is such a ****ing scam. I used it ONE TIME for coffee and three days later, 5 days before exp, it was spoiled. I hate buying milk I HATE IT!

Do you keep it in the refrigerator door? I saw an episode of House MD once in which he recommends putting the milk on the bottom shelf in the fridge (not in the door) so that it's in the coolest part. I never have milk spoil since I've been doing that (for years). There are also some special brands at Whole Foods that seem to last forever, but I usually just get Great Value.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #26644 on: Sat, 18 May 2019, 16:57:50 »

Do you keep it in the refrigerator door? I saw an episode of House MD once in which he recommends putting the milk on the bottom shelf in the fridge (not in the door) so that it's in the coolest part. I never have milk spoil since I've been doing that (for years). There are also some special brands at Whole Foods that seem to last forever, but I usually just get Great Value.

Milk yo, stuff is highly carcinogenic.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #26645 on: Sat, 18 May 2019, 17:08:45 »

I keep it all the way in the back usually. It's weird because I keep half and half on the door and it keeps probably 3x longer than regular milk.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #26646 on: Sat, 18 May 2019, 17:10:43 »

I keep it all the way in the back usually. It's weird because I keep half and half on the door and it keeps probably 3x longer than regular milk.

Cholesterol + Growth hormones

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #26647 on: Mon, 20 May 2019, 14:07:20 »
Boss says I want report 'X' to look like our new report 'Y'

I change the format of the report as requested he then proceeds to ask almost everything be changed back each time I show him a revision.

:facepalm:

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #26648 on: Mon, 20 May 2019, 15:55:37 »
That X-Y conundrum has plagued the human race since the beginning of time.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #26649 on: Mon, 20 May 2019, 20:35:55 »
I can receive messages from folks with zero posts but I can't respond to those messages?  Oh well, so it goes.