Author Topic: Advice for first build.  (Read 1938 times)

Offline spilt_yogurt

Advice for first build.
« on: Tue, 09 March 2021, 05:11:34 »
Hi guys,

I'm looking for a little bit of help for my first custom build. I currently own a Redragon K552 RGB.

I want something the same size. What would you guys recommend as the best hot-swappable TKL kit? I'm not looking for anything super expensive as this will be my first. I'm willing to spend like £100 on the kit. I could probably be pushed to more money if there's nothing suitable for that amount though, it just depends what's out there. I understand I have to buy the switches and caps separately so I'll do my research on what will be best for me.

If I understand it correctly, the kits come with the case / pcb / basically everything you require minus the switches/caps. Correct?

I'm based in the UK so any recommendations to UK based sites would be great.

I don't really mind if the kit is aluminium, brass, or whatever. Basically whichever the cheapest is. Can anyone give me any pointers? Thanks!

Offline Maledicted

Re: Advice for first build.
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 09 March 2021, 10:50:03 »
The XD87 HS fits your parameters, it looks like there are even two options that include a set of Gateron switches for it under $100 USD, although they're pretty vague about what your options are.

It doesn't mention stabilizers in the kits that include the the switches, for whatever reason. Not sure if that's by design or not, or what sorts of stabilizers the plate may support.

This one's a little more descriptive. For $70.80 USD you get everything but the caps and your choice between Gateron black, brown, blue, red, yellow, green or clear. You could also try looking at options on Aliexpress or other Chinese retailers.

Pickings are slim for TKLs, and are not normally cheap in kit form. As far as assembled barebones boards go, within your budget, without switches or caps, most would probably suggest the Glorious GMMK. There's also the Drop CTRL, but that's well outside of your budget.

Modifying random OEM boards in ways they were never designed is more my thing, so others may have better suggestions than mine.

Stabilizers will typically be some Cherry clone, if that matters. I prefer Costar myself, but I think I'm in the minority. If you go down to 40-75% keyboards, you'll end up with more options. TKLs just aren't cool anymore with the keyboard hipsters.

I can't help you with UK-based suppliers, unfortunately. There are plenty of users on here from there though that might be able to.

Offline spilt_yogurt

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 09 March 2021, 13:21:51 »
The XD87 HS fits your parameters, it looks like there are even two options that include a set of Gateron switches for it under $100 USD, although they're pretty vague about what your options are.

It doesn't mention stabilizers in the kits that include the the switches, for whatever reason. Not sure if that's by design or not, or what sorts of stabilizers the plate may support.

This one's a little more descriptive. For $70.80 USD you get everything but the caps and your choice between Gateron black, brown, blue, red, yellow, green or clear. You could also try looking at options on Aliexpress or other Chinese retailers.

Pickings are slim for TKLs, and are not normally cheap in kit form. As far as assembled barebones boards go, within your budget, without switches or caps, most would probably suggest the Glorious GMMK. There's also the Drop CTRL, but that's well outside of your budget.

Modifying random OEM boards in ways they were never designed is more my thing, so others may have better suggestions than mine.

Stabilizers will typically be some Cherry clone, if that matters. I prefer Costar myself, but I think I'm in the minority. If you go down to 40-75% keyboards, you'll end up with more options. TKLs just aren't cool anymore with the keyboard hipsters.

I can't help you with UK-based suppliers, unfortunately. There are plenty of users on here from there though that might be able to.

Dude this is great! The XS87 for 70.80 is a great price for me. Works out about £50. As for the switches, I'll probably go for some Gateron whites.

Now on to searching for key caps. Am I right in thinking I can buy any TKL key cap set or even mix and match different TKL sets? Or can certain keys be different sizes? Thanks for the help so far.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 09 March 2021, 16:00:37 »
Now on to searching for key caps. Am I right in thinking I can buy any TKL key cap set or even mix and match different TKL sets? Or can certain keys be different sizes? Thanks for the help so far.

Yes, TKL is something that's actually completely standardized. It is one of its best features. You can buy any random generic cap set and if it supports a standard full-sized board at all, you can just set aside the caps for the numpad and use the rest for a TKL.

The only thing is that XS87 looks to only support ANSI, XD87 probably as well. I'm not sure whether or not ISO is a priority.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 09 March 2021, 21:39:17 »
TKL is pretty standardized, sort of.
TKL tends to be the same but if you plan on using a full set of caps and just ignore the numpad you need to watch out for oddball sets meant for Razer, Corsair and older Leopold or Varmilo. Beyond that the layout itself is less standard than obvious, the Fkey row can differ in height from the num keys and the nav cluster can shift around, but generally this doesn't effect cap compatibility.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 09 March 2021, 21:56:10 »
That is also TKL's greatest flaw, just like the ubiquity of Qwerty, it's an incumbent ideology that is no longer efficient facing Today's keyboard Challenges.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 09 March 2021, 22:11:50 »
TKL is pretty standardized, sort of.
TKL tends to be the same but if you plan on using a full set of caps and just ignore the numpad you need to watch out for oddball sets meant for Razer, Corsair and older Leopold or Varmilo. Beyond that the layout itself is less standard than obvious, the Fkey row can differ in height from the num keys and the nav cluster can shift around, but generally this doesn't effect cap compatibility.

Right, I didn't mention the non-standard "gamer" keyboard sets. Those are hard enough to find to begin with, and are usually pretty clear about what sort of board they're meant for. There are Leopold and Varmilo caps that aren't standard as well?

That is also TKL's greatest flaw, just like the ubiquity of Qwerty, it's an incumbent ideology that is no longer efficient facing Today's keyboard Challenges.

Let me guess, we should all throw out everything that isn't an ErgoDox with MX blues?

An IBM F AT seems plenty efficient to me

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 10 March 2021, 03:24:55 »
There are Leopold and Varmilo caps that aren't standard as well?
One of them stuck to a larger spacebar until not that long ago.
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 10 March 2021, 03:37:17 »
One thing not yet mentioned when mixing caps is profile - this means the keys on each row are different heights/slopes.  Mainly you will find Cherry profile or OEM sets (usually doesn't say anything) but there are also DSA and XDA and other less common options.  Pick one and you're good.  Also if you're picky different manufacturers use different fonts/alignments which can look weird together, and ABS and PBT (the type of plastic) look and feel different so if you want consistent stick to one.
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 10 March 2021, 07:26:45 »
Let me guess, we should all throw out everything that isn't an ErgoDox with MX blues?

An IBM F AT seems plenty efficient to me

While Tp4 is a supporter of Classic Ergodox,   He is not unaccepting of other Split platforms capable of at least 45* of Tenting.

MX-Blue is not a Choice, it's PEAK Engineering.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 11 March 2021, 00:12:22 »
He is not unaccepting of other Split platforms capable of at least 45* of Tenting.
45 degrees?
Do you have triple jointed fingers or are you a cephalopod?
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 11 March 2021, 05:30:31 »

45 degrees?
Do you have triple jointed fingers or are you a cephalopod?

main configuration

Standing desk, shoulders and elbows at rest, side of trunk,

Arms angled -11 degrees down, facing forward, meets 55 degrees tented Ergodox .

Offline spilt_yogurt

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 11 March 2021, 15:56:02 »
Thanks everyone for your advice. I've ordered up a TKL kit with Gateron red switches. Also managed to find the awesome WASD Keyboards which has a slick custom keycap tool. Once everything has arrived and been assembled, I'll be sure to post the finished product here!