Author Topic: CM Quickfire Rapid or TK  (Read 20930 times)

Offline Zwiebi

CM Quickfire Rapid or TK
« on: Thu, 28 March 2013, 05:51:43 »
Hello there!

I'm torn between the two keyboards mentioned in the topic since both of them offer something that the other one doesn't.
Let me try to share every detail here:

Usage scenario:
I play a Quake based game a lot (a LOT and competitively) and because of the way I have my mousepad on the table I need a shorter keyboard. However I'm also doing a lot of typing and on some occasions I make good use of the numpad. It's not like I do tax reports every day for 8 hours, so most of the time I'm not using the numpad, but sometimes I really do need it.

The options:

Rapid: I like that it has the middle block (arrow keys and above) so while it has less functionality than the TK, it is also less cramped and offers a standard layout (big plus). It also seems to be of better quality than the TK (someone please confirm this if I'm right or wrong). With this keyboard, I would buy a separate cheap numpad section for like 7 euros (mechanical ones are too expensive).

TK: It offers all the functionality I need, but in a Jack of all trades, master of none way. I would have to constantly switch between the functionality of the numpad and middle block (moving in a text and entering numbers sounds bad). Pros: All in one design, so I wouldn't have to deal with a separate numpad (moving it away when I'm gaming and moving it back when I'm typing) and I would only have to use mechanical keys. I don't care about the lighting on the TK, I would switch it off for good. And again, quality is still a question.

I would also mention that the price for the Rapid + a numpad is exactly the same as the price of the TK. (At least where I'm living.)

And one more question about the switches:

Where I live, I can buy the Rapid with reds and blacks while the TK comes with browns and reds.
Right now, I'm using a Logitech K120 keyboard (for reference) and I would prefer lighter and less tactile switches. I was only able to try blues, so I don't know how the linear red would feel, but I like the idea. I haven't tried a linear switch, so I wrote 'less tactile', but it doesn't mean, that I have a preference for tactile feedback. The real question is, how are the brown switches compare to the membrane keyboard.

I think that sums it up, thank you everyone for the replies in advance!

Offline sholimar

Re: CM Quickfire Rapid or TK
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 28 March 2013, 17:44:48 »
Hello!

I'm rather new at this whole mechanical keyboard thing so please take my advice with a small grain of salt, but I had the same dilemma up until a week ago and think I can chime in. I did research them both for about a month, so I think that the info I'll provide is pretty accurate.

The Rapid is made by Costar (which also does Filco, Das Ultimate and so on, all highly regarded boards on all forums I've visited), while the TK is made by another factory. No one knows for sure who it is, but it's not iOne at least - the guys who make the Razer BlackWidow and CM Storm Quick Fire Pro, since Carter (a CM representative) stated that they don't work with them any more (probably because of quality issues). It's also not Datacomp, I believe they sorta figured it out on another forum, it was something starting with a P I think... well, never mind that. :D Another difference between them is that the Rapid uses Costar stabilizers on the longer keys, while the TK (along with most other LED-illuminated keyboards) uses Cherry ones - everybody raves about how better Costar stabilizers feel, so keep that in mind.
Usually, you'll see everyone praise Costar as one of the best manufacturers out there.

Quality-wise, I think they're both pretty solid, although the TK weighs less than the Rapid - even with all those LEDs and so on (940 g for the Rapid vs 544 g for the TK)... if you like a heavy keyboard that screams "zombie-apocalypse-proof" then the Rapid should be your choice. I also like the design on the Rapid more, but that's up to you.

What also worried me on the TK was the non-standard layout - just look at that right cluster! You will have your Del key one row below where you would normally find it, your print screen next to the backspace and so on and so forth... for me, since I really dislike any layout that isn't the standard, that was a big put-off. In addition, if you ever want to change your key caps, note that the bottom row has "weird" sizes, so you're pretty much stuck with those keys.

Since you stated that you don't care about illumination, then I recommend the Rapid - it's the one I chose as well after a lot of reading. I also mainly game on it, so when I type and need the number pad I think that it's better to just get out the USB one. This way you'll have one of the best TKL boards out there as opposed to a Jack of all Trades. Oh, as a side note, the Rapid is pretty much identical (at least for us, newbies) to the Filco Majestouch TKL which is almost twice the price. The main differences are in some solder joints, a differently colored PCB and so on, but the quality feeling (from what I've read) is the same.

Aaaand another thing: I just caught the key cap bug and I've already ordered a couple from different sites, and you will probably get it as well. :D For me, I felt that the standard sizes on the Rapid were the way to go, and the TK's backlighting would be wasted on 99% of the key caps out there (since they're non-transparent).

Now, onto the switches! Again, I've had the exact same trouble picking, so that is why I'm writing this wall of text.

I also only tried the blues before, but as opposed to you I really liked their feel... but not their noise. So, I figured that browns were the way to go - that's until I found that the Rapid here only sells with blacks or reds. After more reading, I finally caved and bought the reds since I didn't want to import something and thus, have no warranty (quick note - older batches of the Rapid had an issue with the left Alt not working; it's most likely fixed by now). I instantly fell in love with the reds, and I'm really happy I went with them! For me, they feel perfect, since I always hated slamming my fingers on keys.

After I got this board my order for the WASDKeyboards Sampler Kit came (you should look into that if you aren't able to return it, like it's here), so I could at least get an idea about browns and blacks. Even if a switch mounted to a metal plate will feel different than one held with LEGOs (my DIY switch-holding apparatus  :))), I'll try to at least describe the feeling... The Cherry MX red is pretty soft and easy to bottom out, but it doesn't actuate if I just place my fingers on the WASD keys. The force required increases a little bit the further you push it down, but it's still a great, precise movement... a mechanical one, you feel like a small piston is just below your fingers. The brown actuates when you apply a little bit more force, but it has the tactile bump higher than the blues - so, you only move it a little and then you can feel the bump. The reason why I'm saying "bump" so much is that it actually feels like that - compared to the "piston-like" movement on the reds, you will have a large hump to overcome when pressing. Personally, I really don't like the browns (but many people do, though)!

Hmm... just imagine it like this:
\ - reds (slanted because the force increases with the distance travelled)
> - blues (little force required, then a crisp click, then little force required)
) - browns (little force required for a shorter distance, then a large hump, then little force required for the remaining distance)

That's pretty much how they feel when pressing on them!  ;D

I've also played around with the black switch, but I think it's much too hard to press and I'm sure I would get fatigued after an hour or so of pressing WASD+Shift.
Another think to keep in mind: linear switches (reds and blacks) are easier to double tap - with blues and browns I feel that I would sometimes forget to completely lift my finger off so I would try double-tapping when I was already below the bump (at least, that's what happens when I try it with the ones from the sampler kit).

Whoa, now that's a first post! :D

In the end, I would recommend you the Rapid with Reds (if you don't usually hit your keys) or the Rapid with Blacks (if you use your fingers like hammers). Oh, and try this: place your hand on the table, then start tapping your fingers (not forcefully, just so that you start hearing the *thud* as opposed to a *pat-pat-pat*) - that's almost the force required to type on reds, so they're not that soft, as some people say. :D

If I can be of any further help then please ask me and I'll try to answer to the best of my abilities! :)
Also, I'm thinking of doing an extended review this weekend, so you could wait for that as well (no promises, though... my SC2 ladder ranking isn't going up by itself!).

Offline Zwiebi

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 30 March 2013, 23:59:37 »
Hello!

Thank you for the reply! I forgot to mention, that I also did a few weeks of research on the keyboards, so I was already aware of the facts that you wrote. :-)
Still it is a good and very useful post on the topic! :-) Also, thank you for the switch comparison it helped me a bit (blue vs brown feedback difference).
The only thing I would like to correct is the weight of the TK, as it is actually heavier than the Rapid, CM just failed big time on their site (not updating the weight for a long time).

I eventually went with the Rapid, as I felt that I would hate the layout of the TK. By logic it would make sense, but I know, that I would grow to hate that I would constantly have to use the modifier key to access basic functions. Also, that non-standard layout is a mess too to get used to. :-(

So, I got the Rapid for 105 USD worth of local credit (27% VAT ftw!), but at least it's an unbranded version and more importantly it came with a 3-year warranty, so I'm not really worried about the ALT-key issue. :-)

I can tell, that so far I really like it, it is everything that I was expecting! :-) My only issue is the fact that I couldn't buy an ISO version. The small enter key is a bit weird, and I'm missing the key near the left shift. In my native language it is used for í and Í. Still, these are only minor things and I'm already getting used to use these functions differently.

The actual keyboard is extremely nice. I really disliked the branding on the red version and I can tell that the unbranded version looks very stylish and professional. I would call it harmonic. I just love the proportions, sizes, shapes and the finish on it. It is just a black keyboard but it still manages to look sharp and modern without any sign of dullness.

I'm also happy with the red switches. I was a bit worried, because everyone described them an super light and that they would actuate if you leave the keyboard too close to an open window... :-)
However this is not the case, they feel really nice. Sure they are light, but nothing extreme. I found only one situation where they are too light (but I might be wrong):
When I'm gaming, I'm placing my mousemat in front of me (QcK+, so 45 cm wide) and the keyboard to my left, so if I sit normally, the arrow keys are a bit left from my left hand (when I'm not gaming, I move it back in front of me). When I'm typing in this position (usually only a few lines since I'm playing :-) ) I sometimes hit other keys too, as I have to press keys reaching from the side, instead of pressing them from the front/above. Since the keys are very light, as I press the key I want, sometimes the key right to it gets pressed down too. With the blacks this might not be the case, but I'm not sure... However this is only happening only every once in a while and only affects ingame chat, where no one cares. :D
I can also report, that the reds are working superbly for gaming. The blacks are recommended because they are snappy and they pop back up quickly. Well, I haven't tried them, but the reds are also popping up just fine. I was also expecting that it will take some time getting used to the different feel, and it turned out that it indeed took some time. A whole 10 minutes. :D (playing competitively at top level).

As far as typing goes, I'm pretty happy. I'm a rather light typer - on my old keyboard, I actually had to keep reminding myself to hit the keys hard so they would register (and yes, my old keyboard worked perfectly fine and it had normal to light switches) -so I knew that the reds will be fine for typing. :-)

Overall, I think the Rapid is a really great keyboard, and I can't really think about anything I would change about it, which - knowing myself - is quite a thing. :D If it holds up well too, I will be mightily impressed.

P.s: please forgive the mistakes I made in this post. It's 6:47AM right now, and I haven't slept yet. :-)
« Last Edit: Sun, 31 March 2013, 00:09:16 by Zwiebi »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 31 March 2013, 00:38:10 »
so many words.... :D

save you some research.. get the qfr from amazon.. there's been some quality concerns of late, but amazon has good return/exchange policy, so you don't really have to worry about that.

The tk is really ''blech..."

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 01 April 2013, 23:35:39 »
so many words.... :D

save you some research.. get the qfr from amazon.. there's been some quality concerns of late, but amazon has good return/exchange policy, so you don't really have to worry about that.

Offline Abacus1234

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 02 April 2013, 00:06:13 »
The part about the Rapid weighing more is actually not correct. Official specs are wrong. I have weighed them on the same scale. They weigh almost exactly the same. My Rapid is actually just under the official specs.

Offline Abacus1234

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 02 April 2013, 00:07:16 »
Oh, and then I read the next post. Guess the weight thing was already mentioned.

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
    • My Youtube channel with some keyboard videos
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 02 April 2013, 00:26:39 »
QFR

Offline zoolzoo

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 02 April 2013, 19:25:19 »
hi. get qfr
Leopold FC660C, Topre 45g | CM QFR, MX Blue | Rosewill RK-9000v2, MX Red | Cherry Slimline G84-4100, ML | Ducky One2 Mini RGB, MX Red

Offline zerone

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 18 September 2013, 05:08:37 »
Sorry for bumping that rather old thread, but i just have to say thanks for those very informative Posts here! This thread was 100% what i needed.

I changed my mind now and will buy a QFR instead of QFTK mainly because of the Keysizes.

It really confused me why the QFR seems to be so much more popular on geekhack than the QFTK (e.g.: http://geekhack.org/index.php?board=152.0 :D). Now i'm really glad that i searched here for the differences between those too one more time.

Offline Gunni

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 18 September 2013, 05:11:12 »
I have a TK and absolutely love it. That said, I've never tried a QFR but there's nothing noticeably wrong with a TK in my opinion.

I have to move around a lot so it helps that my keyboard is smaller (because the arrow keys are in the num-pad), my keyboard can now easily fit into my bag instead of poking out the top.
CM Storm Quickfire TK w/ Browns HHKB Pro 2

Offline zerone

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 18 September 2013, 05:24:39 »
I don't doubt the general quality of the QFTK, but i plan to get plain keys and i would probably haven't been happy when i'd notice the strange sizes. ^.^

Exchangeable keys are pretty important for me, because i had the color being worn off on EVERY keyboard i owned up to now (WASD-Area especially ^.^). Thats why i probably shouldn't go for backlit keys anyway.

« Last Edit: Wed, 18 September 2013, 10:57:21 by zerone »

Offline Emospence

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 18 September 2013, 10:56:16 »
Rapid
Keyboards: Topre Realforce 87UW 55g x 2
Mice: Zowie EC1 eVo CL x 2
Mousepads: Artisan Hien VE x 2, Razer Mantis Speed