Author Topic: Good membrane/rubber dome keyboards?  (Read 20542 times)

Offline harrywang888

Good membrane/rubber dome keyboards?
« on: Thu, 16 January 2014, 03:45:38 »
Hi, my mechanical keyboard recently broke and ran out of warranty so I decided to use my sisters logitech  membrane keyboard.  I don't know why but it actually felt kind of good typing and gaming on it.  I was using reds before which I felt were the best switches for me.  Now that I'm back to using this regular keyboard after about 2 years, I am wondering if mechanical keyboards are THAT much more worth it then normal keyboards (I have tried blue, black, and red switches.  I hated all of them except for red)

So now I want to buy myself a good CHEAP keyboard to use while I figure out if I want to spend the extra money on another mechanical.

Do you guys have any recommendations? 

I have tried my friends g15 and QSENN before and I actually LOVE the feel of the q15, especially the qsenn dt-35.  It didn't feel mushy at all and I loved it, however the qsenn is to expensive and I rather not wait on the shipping.  The g15 was pretty good as well but it's a little to big and I don't need macro keys at all. 

I have tried the sidewinder X4 and I HATED THEM.  They are to mushy and has high actuation force.  they keys were also very small and compact.  I see a lot of people recommending this. 

Do you guys have any other suggestions?  I heard about the dell quietkey but again they are a little bit to expensive when it includes shipping. 

Thanks!!

Offline tbc

Re: Good membrane/rubber dome keyboards?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 16 January 2014, 03:52:40 »
i think dt-35 is the highest rated gaming membrane board.

the cheap recommendation is always the cm qf rapid or the qf tk.

mechs are going to be one of those things that you only appreciate when you don't have it.

although, you pocked reds, which are relatively similiar to membranes.

i have to say, i've personally never considered switch feel to be the most important thing about mechs; the layout options are FAR superior to anythung in dell kb land.
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline harrywang888

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 16 January 2014, 04:02:52 »
That was exactly my keyboard that broke, the CM QF RAPID =(.

I tried blues and blacks before for relatively good amount of time and I hated them BOTH.  Reds fit me perfectly.  I still think mechanical keyboards are slightly better then membrane, however I don't know if I want to spend a lot of extra money to get anther one when membranes are totally fine for me.

I would definitely grab the dt-35 but it's to expensive and I don't think its worth the price considering its only 5-10$ in korea.  Anyone know if there is any cheap alternatives that is similar?

Offline yasuo

• spanengan puyeng newbie
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 16 January 2014, 05:46:06 »
logitech,keytronic,i rocks?
Logitech MK220 Colemak DH
SplitSyml by Moz BlacksMx fuk blacks

2/3 8.5pm                                          in de la my september month ya da all get my fukka "fake message"

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 16 January 2014, 07:56:50 »
Browns?
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline JimByr

• ...old guy...
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 16 January 2014, 13:12:15 »
How about $17.99 for a NIB Dell Quietkey with free CONUS shipping? I've bought two from this vendor for my daughter. And they have been the good "made in Thailand" variant.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Dell-White-Quiet-Key-Quietkey-Keyboard-0463CD-463CD-RT7D5JTW-/370892972574?pt=PCA_Mice_Trackballs&hash=item565af1a21e
« Last Edit: Thu, 16 January 2014, 13:22:21 by JimByr »

Offline ike2030

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 16 January 2014, 14:38:19 »
get the logitech k120 for only $12 online or at Wal-Mart.

Offline mljs54

• Team Topre
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 16 January 2014, 14:47:52 »
I don't mind the Dell L100 to be honest.  It's the standard corporate desktop package keyboard you find in most offices.  Using it ATM while I try to find a mech solution after trading my work Realforce 87UB for a HHKB.

I think they're ~$10-15 shipped on eBay.

ReΛlforce 87UB EK

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 20 January 2014, 13:45:00 »
How about $17.99 for a NIB Dell Quietkey with free CONUS shipping? I've bought two from this vendor for my daughter. And they have been the good "made in Thailand" variant.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Dell-White-Quiet-Key-Quietkey-Keyboard-0463CD-463CD-RT7D5JTW-/370892972574?pt=PCA_Mice_Trackballs&hash=item565af1a21e

These are good, I linked that auction a while back and bought a couple from the same seller. They're good cheap membrane board with sliders if you want to switch it up from a mech every now and then.

Offline dante

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 20 January 2014, 15:00:51 »
see my sig for what Imma rockin out wit

Offline laffindude

• ( ̽ ¬ ˳¬)
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 20 January 2014, 21:20:40 »
DT35 is horrific even among membrane boards. People only used it because it was cheap, not because it is any good.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 20 January 2014, 21:31:55 »
I don't mind the Dell L100 to be honest.  It's the standard corporate desktop package keyboard you find in most offices.  Using it ATM while I try to find a mech solution after trading my work Realforce 87UB for a HHKB.

Show Image

That Dell board is flimsy as crap. I can feel the entire body flex whenever I use them at school, and their keys get very mushy very fast. Some of the Compaq boards from the 90s were passable, but I remember the Gateway Anykey being particurally decent as a kid. I used to abuse the hell out of my families Anykey and it kept on ticking like the day we got it.

51777-0

Offline Ghetto Caps

• i make ghetto caps.
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 20 January 2014, 21:34:12 »
stables makes this full size keyboard with a really crisp dome.

Visit the Typing Test and try![/sigpic]

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 20 January 2014, 21:35:12 »

stables?

Offline Ghetto Caps

• i make ghetto caps.
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 20 January 2014, 21:43:11 »

stables?
staples*

Visit the Typing Test and try![/sigpic]

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 20 January 2014, 21:50:33 »

stables?
staples*

Staples make their own keyboard.... interesting. Haven't been to one of there stores in a long time.

Offline DamienG

• DamienG
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 20 January 2014, 21:58:05 »
What do you mean exactly by "broke"?

Should be repairable - keyboards are pretty simple electronics.

[)amien

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 21 January 2014, 01:04:08 »
DT35 is horrific even among membrane boards. People only used it because it was cheap, not because it is any good.

Exactly this. It was cheap and ubiquitous.  Then you had all the white guys wanting to be as good as the Koreans at Starcraft watching them and seeing them all using the DT35.  So these people who sucked thought, "hey, they must be using that keyboard because it's good.  If I use it, I'll be good like them" only to discover that they still sucked.  Even so you still have all these people trying to be like the old Korean SC pros and buy them anyways, thinking it will magically make them a better player.

Out of all the rubber dome and membrane keyboards I've used, the Microsoft Sidewinder X4 is one of the few decent ones I've used.  Outside of that, it's a few old ones back when they were better built  and every brand was messing around with different styles of them, not the mass produced crap you have today.

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 21 January 2014, 18:23:14 »
As I'm typing on my Dell Quietkey RT7D5JTW it actually reminds me of 45g Topre switches. I'll probably get some written lashings for this but don't hate until you try it! :D Poor Man Topres!!

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 21 January 2014, 18:24:19 »
As I'm typing on my Dell Quietkey RT7D5JTW it actually reminds me of 45g Topre switches. I'll probably get some written lashings for this but don't hate until you try it! :D Poor Man Topres!!

do you know where i can find it?

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus

Offline terrpn

• Alpha Geezer
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • - Buy Vintage -
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 21 January 2014, 18:26:58 »

you won't from me..........

(tater pix)
More

Luga G80-1865/MX Reds + Dolch G80-1813/MX Blues + G80-3700HQAUS + DK9008G2 Pro/MX Browns Thick PBT + DK9008G2 Pro/MX Clears Thick PBT +  QFR TKL/Ghetto Greens + Cherry G80-1800/MX Blues + IBM Model M SSK Bolt Modded + IBM Model M + IBM Model F + IBM AT F + Cherry G80-1000 (HAD)/MX Vintage Blacks + Razer BWU/MX Blues + Leading Edge DC2214/Blue Alps + Compaq MX11800/Browns + Chicony 5181/Monterey Blues + Chicony 5161/MX Black Cherry Clone + Focus 2001/White Alps + Chicony 5191/White Futabas + Olivetti ANK27-101 + Dell (Old Logo) AT101/Black Alps + NMB RT8255C+/Black Space Invaders + Unitek K260/Green Alps + Apple M0116/Orange Alps + AEK II M3501/Cream Alps + AEK M0115/Orange Alps + NEC  APC412/Blue Sliders + NEC APC410/Blue Sliders + Omnikey /White Alps + Wang/Yellow Alps (Omrons) + Laser/White SMK + Fame/Blue Aruz + AEK II M3501/Salmon Alps + Zenith ZKB-2R/Green Alps + Wang 724/Orange Alps + DK1087/Green Alps + Zenith ZKB-2/Yellow Alps + Dell Old Logo AT101/Salmon-Pink Alps + Leading Edge AK1012/White SMK's + Magitronic SK-1030/White (Linear) Futaba's + Packard Bell/White (Clicky) Futaba's + Datacomp DFK101/White  Alps + SGI AT101/Dampened White Alps + NMB AQ6RT-72511/Grey Space Invaders (Hi-Tek) + Datacomp/Blue Alps + Phillips 2812/White Space Invaders (Linear) + Dah Yang K251/Vintage MX Blues + Chicony 5161/DS Caps/Vintage MX Blue + Archie-NMB AQ659ZRT-725/Black Space Invader (Tactile) + IBM Model M 71G4644 (RD) Bolt Modded with Soarers Converter + IBM Model M Silver Label 1390131 + Cherry G80-1501/Vintage MX Clears + Focus FK8000/Linear Futabas + Gateway 2000 Anykey Programmable/Maxi-Switch + Dell GY13PVAT101/Dye Sub Caps/Salmon Alps + Chicony 5161/White Alps + AST K0B101/Slider over RD + Qtronix QX-32H + Everex/NMB RT8255CW+ Black Space Invaders-Split Erase + Tandon/NMB AQ659ZRT-101A/Beige Space Invaders + Cherry G80-11903 MNRUS/MX Blacks + Apple IIGS A9M0330/SMK Whites + WYSE PCE/MX Blacks + Chicony 5160AXT/Clicky Futaba + Cherry G80-0528/Vintage MX Blacks + Dell AT101/Linear (Modded) Black Alps+Topre 55g

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 21 January 2014, 18:34:40 »

You probably will, but not from me.  I've tried a 45g Realforce and it just felt like a really good and smooth rubber dome like I've felt on some cheap older keyboards.

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 21 January 2014, 18:58:31 »

You probably will, but not from me.  I've tried a 45g Realforce and it just felt like a really good and smooth rubber dome like I've felt on some cheap older keyboards.

So would you think that the quietkey is a good tester for a topre board?

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 21 January 2014, 19:10:35 »

You really should just get a topre board. Everyone is going to tell you something different.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #26 on: Tue, 21 January 2014, 19:12:27 »
Out of all the rubber dome and membrane keyboards I've used, the Microsoft Sidewinder X4 is one of the few decent ones I've used.

Still have the Sidewinder X6 which is the ONLY "TKL" keyboard released by Microsoft.  Perfect still with full led control/dimming and volume knobs that made operating any of their Win-7's and Win-8's so simple and easy.

Pity they stopped making them because they were the BEST domes that were lighted and worked perfectly even after 6 years of rough use.

Offline terrpn

• Alpha Geezer
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • - Buy Vintage -
« Reply #27 on: Tue, 21 January 2014, 19:39:07 »

You really should just get a topre board. Everyone is going to tell you something different.

.........or spend 18 bux and get a quiet key :-\
More

Luga G80-1865/MX Reds + Dolch G80-1813/MX Blues + G80-3700HQAUS + DK9008G2 Pro/MX Browns Thick PBT + DK9008G2 Pro/MX Clears Thick PBT +  QFR TKL/Ghetto Greens + Cherry G80-1800/MX Blues + IBM Model M SSK Bolt Modded + IBM Model M + IBM Model F + IBM AT F + Cherry G80-1000 (HAD)/MX Vintage Blacks + Razer BWU/MX Blues + Leading Edge DC2214/Blue Alps + Compaq MX11800/Browns + Chicony 5181/Monterey Blues + Chicony 5161/MX Black Cherry Clone + Focus 2001/White Alps + Chicony 5191/White Futabas + Olivetti ANK27-101 + Dell (Old Logo) AT101/Black Alps + NMB RT8255C+/Black Space Invaders + Unitek K260/Green Alps + Apple M0116/Orange Alps + AEK II M3501/Cream Alps + AEK M0115/Orange Alps + NEC  APC412/Blue Sliders + NEC APC410/Blue Sliders + Omnikey /White Alps + Wang/Yellow Alps (Omrons) + Laser/White SMK + Fame/Blue Aruz + AEK II M3501/Salmon Alps + Zenith ZKB-2R/Green Alps + Wang 724/Orange Alps + DK1087/Green Alps + Zenith ZKB-2/Yellow Alps + Dell Old Logo AT101/Salmon-Pink Alps + Leading Edge AK1012/White SMK's + Magitronic SK-1030/White (Linear) Futaba's + Packard Bell/White (Clicky) Futaba's + Datacomp DFK101/White  Alps + SGI AT101/Dampened White Alps + NMB AQ6RT-72511/Grey Space Invaders (Hi-Tek) + Datacomp/Blue Alps + Phillips 2812/White Space Invaders (Linear) + Dah Yang K251/Vintage MX Blues + Chicony 5161/DS Caps/Vintage MX Blue + Archie-NMB AQ659ZRT-725/Black Space Invader (Tactile) + IBM Model M 71G4644 (RD) Bolt Modded with Soarers Converter + IBM Model M Silver Label 1390131 + Cherry G80-1501/Vintage MX Clears + Focus FK8000/Linear Futabas + Gateway 2000 Anykey Programmable/Maxi-Switch + Dell GY13PVAT101/Dye Sub Caps/Salmon Alps + Chicony 5161/White Alps + AST K0B101/Slider over RD + Qtronix QX-32H + Everex/NMB RT8255CW+ Black Space Invaders-Split Erase + Tandon/NMB AQ659ZRT-101A/Beige Space Invaders + Cherry G80-11903 MNRUS/MX Blacks + Apple IIGS A9M0330/SMK Whites + WYSE PCE/MX Blacks + Chicony 5160AXT/Clicky Futaba + Cherry G80-0528/Vintage MX Blacks + Dell AT101/Linear (Modded) Black Alps+Topre 55g

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #28 on: Wed, 22 January 2014, 02:11:23 »

.........or spend 18 bux and get a quiet key :-\

How about both? Quiet key then topre IFF quiet key has potential

Offline lonedruid

• Red switch fan
« Reply #29 on: Wed, 22 January 2014, 12:13:59 »
steelseries apex serires , roccat isku and other roccat nonmechanicals, armageddon rubber dome brethren looks nice as well. and of cuz your well known g15 and stuff from logitech comes to my mind. and oh , razer got sth called deathstalker as well.
Steelseries 6gv2 red switch
Ducky shine 3 TKL blue switch http://i.imgur.com/5LcUxh.jpg
HHKB Professional 2 no-blank http://i.imgur.com/JSIa1.pngk

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #30 on: Wed, 22 January 2014, 12:16:34 »

(tater pix)

Nice board!!

Offline Wildcard

• * Esteemed Elder
  • When caffeine isn't enough
« Reply #31 on: Wed, 22 January 2014, 12:20:32 »

do you know where i can find it?

So Pacifist you now need help using Google, is that what I'm reading?

Here, let me Google that for you.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #32 on: Wed, 22 January 2014, 12:39:13 »
steelseries apex serires , roccat isku and other roccat nonmechanicals, armageddon rubber dome brethren looks nice as well. and of cuz your well known g15 and stuff from logitech comes to my mind. and oh , razer got sth called deathstalker as well.

Is that your list of overpriced, mediocre to crappy feeling, flashy "gamer" oriented keyboards?

Offline terrpn

• Alpha Geezer
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • - Buy Vintage -
« Reply #33 on: Wed, 22 January 2014, 13:14:46 »

(tater pix)

Nice board!!

danke

it was pretty nasty when i found it at the office, so i just broke it down and said what the heck even though it is a rd let me spiff it up a tad

i put plastic restorer from turtle wax on the membrane, etc. since i had a bottle that i use on my vehicles to limber it up and believe it or not it really helped!

took a spray bomb of textured black for gun stocks, a little upholstery red trim and spiffed the 'ol girl up

the only thing is the keycaps are kind of faded

i don't know if it was nubbs who said they kind of feel like a 45 topre, but it sure makes me want to go out and get one

dell quiet keys do have a plastic slider on a membrane and if the membrane is fresh they are very springy and pleasant to type on ;D

everybody probably knows what the switch type looks like, but here it is again
More

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #34 on: Fri, 24 January 2014, 06:45:06 »
Actually, only the oldest ones made outside PRC. And even some of them didn't have discrete sliders/RDs.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #35 on: Fri, 24 January 2014, 14:15:35 »
I don't mind the Dell L100 to be honest.  It's the standard corporate desktop package keyboard you find in most offices.
Those are actually at least three different keyboards with the same outer appearance but different innards. All three feel different.

One or two of these have also found their way to "Worst feeling keyboard" threads now and again.
I once got RSI from one at work, so I switched to using MX Brown there.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #36 on: Fri, 24 January 2014, 14:17:24 »

Show Image

As long as it's not from a public terminal... these boards are Da' bomb...

super light... and the phat space bar...

Offline JBert

« Reply #37 on: Fri, 24 January 2014, 17:07:17 »
IBM / Chicony KB-8923

They go mushy after a while, but at least they're sturdy and come with a steel backplate...
IBM Model F XT + Soarer's USB Converter || Cherry G80-3000/Clears

The storage list:
IBM Model F AT || Cherry G80-3000/Blues || Compaq MX11800 (Cherry brown, bizarre layout) || IBM KB-8923 (model M-style RD) || G81-3010 Hxx || BTC 5100C || G81-3000 Sxx || Atari keyboard (?)

Currently ignored by: nobody?

Disclaimer: we don\'t help you save money on [strike]keyboards[/strike] hardware, rather we make you feel less bad about your expense.
[/SIZE]

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #38 on: Fri, 24 January 2014, 17:12:03 »
IBM / Chicony KB-8923

They go mushy after a while, but at least they're sturdy and come with a steel backplate...

mmmmm... more like steel ballast plate... it doesn't back the switches...

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #39 on: Fri, 24 January 2014, 17:12:55 »
Some of the Compaq boards from the 90s were passable, but I remember the Gateway Anykey being particularly decent as a kid. I used to abuse the hell out of my family's Anykey and it kept on ticking like the day we got it.

(Attachment Link)

I find these at yard sales and thrift stores once in a blue moon. They have Cherry compatible caps, and some are thin doubleshot. It has to be this one, there are standard Gateway 2000s that are not the same.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline JBert

« Reply #40 on: Sat, 25 January 2014, 15:11:21 »
IBM / Chicony KB-8923

mmmmm... more like steel ballast plate... it doesn't back the switches...
Are you talking about a different keyboard, or did Chicony make different revisions? In my case, the membranes sit on a metal backplate.
IBM Model F XT + Soarer's USB Converter || Cherry G80-3000/Clears

The storage list:
IBM Model F AT || Cherry G80-3000/Blues || Compaq MX11800 (Cherry brown, bizarre layout) || IBM KB-8923 (model M-style RD) || G81-3010 Hxx || BTC 5100C || G81-3000 Sxx || Atari keyboard (?)

Currently ignored by: nobody?

Disclaimer: we don\'t help you save money on [strike]keyboards[/strike] hardware, rather we make you feel less bad about your expense.
[/SIZE]