Author Topic: Unicomp Black Friday Cyber Monday New Product?!? HYPE!!!!  (Read 24760 times)

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
Re: Unicomp Black Friday Cyber Monday New Product?!? HYPE!!!!
« Reply #50 on: Tue, 26 November 2013, 19:19:17 »
This better not be a let down.  That's all I know.

If they could make a split buckling spring, but with the curved backplate of the Model M, rather than the flat M15, that would be awesome.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
« Reply #51 on: Tue, 26 November 2013, 19:35:58 »
The problem is, realistically, you can sell about a hundred M15s and the world demand is met.

Ergo boards are very much a moment-in-time thing, and have fallen out of favour for most users.
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #52 on: Tue, 26 November 2013, 19:38:29 »
The problem is, realistically, you can sell about a hundred M15s and the world demand is met.

Ergo boards are very much a moment-in-time thing, and have fallen out of favour for most users.

No?

Everyone who knows computers knowz ergo board.... the world supply is not satisfied...

That's also not how you sell things..

If the market isn't there.. .You create it... and  Convince people whether they need it or not, that they should buy one...

That's why most of you have mechanical keyboards to begin with....

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #53 on: Tue, 26 November 2013, 20:22:32 »
You are optimistic I think. Unicomp is good at letdowns.

Still, I am an optimist as well, and I hope for something cool!
I  disagree: there are many people (and many GH menbers) that only use ergo boards now. Even today, my favorite KB to type on was the ergoDOX.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #54 on: Tue, 26 November 2013, 20:26:33 »

I  disagree: there are many people (and many GH menbers) that only use ergo boards now. Even today, my favorite KB to type on is the ergoDOX.

No-Homo

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
« Reply #55 on: Tue, 26 November 2013, 21:01:42 »

I  disagree: there are many people (and many GH menbers) that only use ergo boards now. Even today, my favorite KB to type on was the ergoDOX.

I don't necessarily mean as a preference, but as a business thing.  There was a grand "season" of ergo boards on the market.  The original Microsoft Natural, the Chicony 7001, the G80-5000, and the M15 pretty much sold side-by-side as normal-consumer items.
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #56 on: Tue, 26 November 2013, 22:04:34 »

I don't necessarily mean as a preference, but as a business thing.  There was a grand "season" of ergo boards on the market.  The original Microsoft Natural, the Chicony 7001, the G80-5000, and the M15 pretty much sold side-by-side as normal-consumer items.

It was a different world back then.. people still went outside to play and such...

The summers of modernity is DEAD silent, why... everyone inside.. xbox.. and facebook..

Offline SUPER432

« Reply #57 on: Wed, 27 November 2013, 01:38:59 »
Boy, when's the last time they had a new product? Hope it's a compact board!

Offline Hellmark

« Reply #58 on: Wed, 27 November 2013, 12:04:30 »
The thing about ergo boards being dead I definitely don't see as true. Most people don't buy as many ergo keyboards anymore, because how many people use laptops, and no external keyboard?

Offline tuxsavvy

• 白HHKBの魔法使い
« Reply #59 on: Wed, 27 November 2013, 14:32:15 »
If they could make the ergo version (M15) I'd drop dead and quickly purchase/preorder one. M15 has somewhat been a keyboard that I was hoping to become a thing apart from sourcing seconds (or thirds, etc) of the same variant on ebay.

Imagine an ergo keyboard with buckling springs.. or rather just the idea of ergo keyboards. Be able to kill to brids with one stone, satisfying those who just want a regular Model M to be just a normal keyboard and those who wants to make it fit their style (i.e. ergo).

It seems as though M15 is maybe something that Unicomp has rights to produce and considering how much the M15 were priced on pre-loved goods it just seems unfair considering their rarity. Ultimately I guess I am only dreaming haha.

I highly doubt that Unicomp has M15s. The only way we know they MAY be working on SSKs is because we've talked to them. Nobody's asked about M15s, and if they could, they should've brought them out ASAP if they had them, considering their current price.
Yeah I figured as much but hey, wishful thinking wouldn't hurt wouldn't it? I don't know much of the inside stories with Unicomp but I have heard plenty of times that it might be SSK or some compact keyboard. Although I have no gripes with SSK/compact (I am using one right now anyway), I thought it would be quite interesting if they somehow brought out something different to excite the market.

In either case, I am sure SSK/Compact would really also surprise the market (but probably to a lesser degree to something different as what they have been telling others) just as well if Unicomp decides to bring out something quite different from their regular lines of keyboards.

SSK, 122 keys, M15 or even keyboards with trackpoint. It seems like the markets these days are either targeting at compacts or enticing gamers with mechanical boards. There isn't all that much innovation in being all that different given the fact that manufacturers could easily play ball and try to change the market. It is also a given at the same time that manufactuerers face a tough time to be able to satisfy all sorts of markets but if there was a way or mean to stop these overpriced pre-loved goods it would be nice imo.

As for those who doubt that ergo keyboards will be a hit. I personally wouldn't admit that is completely true. Whilst the market seems to be heading in other directions, it is not like ergo keyboards are exactly dead. If ergo keyboards were to be that extinct. Think about the ridiculous pricing of a M15 in good condition. I heard it was sold for $1500. What about those data hands? they were not sold as much when the manufacturer was still around but when the manufacturer has disappeared the price of those data hands rocketed up (not as much as that M15 keyboard but still way higher than original pricing). There was a somewhat semi-broken M15 keyboard for sale which I was tailing at the price of it, the keyboard was eventually sold for USD$400. That is enough for one to virtually be able to buy a HHKB Pro (and not to have it delivered to places where there would be import taxes such as EU).

Ergo keyboards aren't dead, but they aren't that much of a hit either. It is on similar level imo as the compact keyboards, as long as one has a preference for them, there will always be an interest. If ergo keyboards were "extinct", I am sure keyboards like M15 and data hand would not have been sold at some really high price, given the fact that they are second hands just like those who are still after SSK.
HHKB Pro JP Type-S | Northgate Omnikey 101 | APC/"Clicker" F-21 (GOG3YL) | Cherry G80-5000 HAMDE

僕の日本語が下手です。我的中文也一樣爛。

Offline spiceBar

• ChessTiger.com
« Reply #60 on: Wed, 27 November 2013, 16:42:51 »
My prediction, they're going to release a compact keyboard.  Why else would they have released front function number keys a few months ago?

Show Image

(very badly photoshopped image)

This is the much rumored SpaceFN keyboard.

Offline BlackWidowMan777

« Reply #61 on: Thu, 28 November 2013, 05:22:53 »
How many of you getting antsy about the new Unicomp thingy? Still refreshing the New Release page?

Well, I just stumbled on something that would have me believe we are indeed going to be introduced to a brand new SSK!

Scroll down the menu list on this page and see for yourself!

http://pckeyboard.com/page/Misc/CVSET

Offline BlackWidowMan777

« Reply #62 on: Thu, 28 November 2013, 05:28:01 »
Wait...much smaller than an SSK!!!  :-X

edit: Durr - obviously, I can't count.  :-[
« Last Edit: Thu, 28 November 2013, 06:33:23 by BlackWidowMan777 »

Offline terran5992

• One With The Cup Rubber
« Reply #63 on: Thu, 28 November 2013, 05:36:43 »
How many of you getting antsy about the new Unicomp thingy? Still refreshing the New Release page?

Well, I just stumbled on something that would have me believe we are indeed going to be introduced to a brand new SSK!

0.o 84 keys

Listokei Custom  |  HHKB Pro 2  |  Topre Realforce 103UBH  |  Armageddon MKA-3

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
« Reply #64 on: Thu, 28 November 2013, 07:14:55 »
Nice find on the 84-key menu item.  I checked the internet archive and the last copy of that page they have stored is from January 2013 and it did *not* have that entry.
Daily driver: SSK or Tenkeyless IBM AT
1984 Model M Industrial Prototype ⌨ 1992 Black Oval Industrial SSK ⌨ 1982 5251 Beam Spring ⌨ 89 Key "SSK" ⌨ M13 triplets

Offline BlackWidowMan777

« Reply #65 on: Thu, 28 November 2013, 07:18:30 »
Nice find on the 84-key menu item.  I checked the internet archive and the last copy of that page they have stored is from January 2013 and it did *not* have that entry.

Fingers crossed for that.... :cool:

Unfortunately, I made a less impressive, slightly depressing find...

http://pckeyboard.com/page/product/UW40P4A

Offline inteli722

• Waiting for too much stuff...
« Reply #66 on: Thu, 28 November 2013, 07:33:05 »

Fingers crossed for that.... 8)

Well, since that's already on the website, it probably couldn't be the new item (he hopes)! :D
More

Visit the Typing Test and try!
R.I.P. SmallFry! You will be dearly missed.
Leopold FC200 |  CoolerMaster QFP Browns | Quickfire Rapid Greens | Quickfire Rapid Blues
Waiting for: Phantom Plate

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
« Reply #67 on: Thu, 28 November 2013, 07:47:59 »

Knowing Unicomp hyping up a "new product" that's just an old product with a new color scheme isn't out of the question, but I have to believe it's something more.

At least the general availability of colored legends if not a USB SSK.
Daily driver: SSK or Tenkeyless IBM AT
1984 Model M Industrial Prototype ⌨ 1992 Black Oval Industrial SSK ⌨ 1982 5251 Beam Spring ⌨ 89 Key "SSK" ⌨ M13 triplets

Offline terran5992

• One With The Cup Rubber
« Reply #68 on: Thu, 28 November 2013, 07:52:01 »

How is that depressing?

Listokei Custom  |  HHKB Pro 2  |  Topre Realforce 103UBH  |  Armageddon MKA-3

Offline BlackWidowMan777

« Reply #69 on: Thu, 28 November 2013, 08:14:38 »

How is that depressing?

Depressing in so much as a Brilliant White 'face-lift' of the 104 wouldn't be as monumentally exciting as a brand new SSK  :)

Anyway, Zach get that update up pronto lol the suspense is killing!

Offline inteli722

« Reply #70 on: Thu, 28 November 2013, 08:49:42 »

Fingers crossed for that.... 8)

How is that depressing?

Depressing in so much as a Brilliant White 'face-lift' of the 104 wouldn't be as monumentally exciting as a brand new SSK  :)

Anyway, Zach get that update up pronto lol the suspense is killing!

Still, the fact that it's currently up shows that it isn't the surprise.

Ditto. Hurry up and let us throw money at your brand new SSKs.
More

Leopold FC200 |  CoolerMaster QFP Browns | Quickfire Rapid Greens | Quickfire Rapid Blues

Offline Grimey

« Reply #71 on: Thu, 28 November 2013, 09:18:14 »
Going to lowball estimate with

"New Product!!!" = Dyesubbed "G" and "H" in red !!!!!!
Erlang your pants off

Offline czarek

• Keep the momentum going!
    • FalbaTech
« Reply #72 on: Thu, 28 November 2013, 10:51:36 »
Going to lowball estimate with

"New Product!!!" = Dyesubbed "G" and "H" in red !!!!!!

I wouldn't be surprised, Unicomp is such a zombie company for last few years.
My little ErgoDox / GH60 factory: http://falbatech.pl

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
  • Know Topre, Know Peace. No Topre, No Peace.
« Reply #73 on: Thu, 28 November 2013, 10:56:53 »
Lol...t-minus 10 hours until new dyesubbed keycaps!  If it's actually a 60% or SSK I will eat a shoe.
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #74 on: Thu, 28 November 2013, 10:58:16 »
Lol...t-minus 10 hours until new dyesubbed keycaps!  If it's actually a 60% or SSK I will eat a shoe.

Quoted just in case :P

Offline inteli722

« Reply #75 on: Thu, 28 November 2013, 11:06:22 »
QFT

I hope it's an SSK.
More

Offline neunelfer

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #76 on: Thu, 28 November 2013, 11:14:01 »
Doesn't the 84-key frame option make it a little obvious? Why else would they have added that to their website?

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
« Reply #77 on: Thu, 28 November 2013, 11:16:55 »
Doesn't the 84-key frame option make it a little obvious? Why else would they have added that to their website?

Holy ****...I thought you were trolling until I actually checked!. OMGwtfbbqsauce.  Brb...going to the store to buy some sriracha....gotta spice up that shoe I'm going to eat tomorrow.
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #78 on: Thu, 28 November 2013, 11:27:00 »
My wallet can't handle this, if it is true I wonder what it will look like and I wonder if they are going to charge a huge premium. This could be awesome if it is true  :eek:

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #79 on: Thu, 28 November 2013, 11:38:44 »
Stop getting me excited you guys

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
« Reply #80 on: Thu, 28 November 2013, 11:45:54 »
WTH is a "cover set" in Unicomp lingo?  Is it a chasis?
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline inteli722

« Reply #81 on: Thu, 28 November 2013, 11:47:59 »
WTH is a "cover set" in Unicomp lingo?  Is it a chasis?

I would assume it'd be a top frame.
More

Offline neunelfer

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #82 on: Thu, 28 November 2013, 11:52:16 »
I was almost wondering if it was just a keyboard cover and they were releasing one to fit existing SSKs, but that almost seems more unlikely.

Offline Alessandro

• * Vendor
  • The Price Is Right
    • Alessandro's Sweet Shop
« Reply #83 on: Thu, 28 November 2013, 11:59:32 »
Exciting! If it is an SSK, what are we predicting price wise?
KBC Poker | MX Reds | Beige Doubleshots
Goldtouch 10Key Pad | MX Browns | Beige Doubleshots
IBM Model M-122 Terminal (Bolt modded) | Buckling Springs | Beige Dyesubs

Alessandro's Sweet Shop- "I never said they were art."

Offline inteli722

« Reply #84 on: Thu, 28 November 2013, 12:10:30 »
Exciting! If it is an SSK, what are we predicting price wise?

$100-$150 hopefully.
More

Offline theMANtonio

• Go Hawks
« Reply #85 on: Thu, 28 November 2013, 12:15:45 »
And I just thought I hit my end game....  ???

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • * Marketplace Moderator
  • snoozing
« Reply #86 on: Thu, 28 November 2013, 12:18:45 »
Plot twist:
You never complete it :blank:
Very busy with studies atm.

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • * Marketplace Moderator
  • snoozing
« Reply #87 on: Thu, 28 November 2013, 12:19:12 »
Plot twist:
You never complete the end game :blank:
Very busy with studies atm.

Offline theMANtonio

• Go Hawks
« Reply #89 on: Thu, 28 November 2013, 12:33:44 »
Plot twist:
You never complete it :blank:

And once CM releases those Topre/Cherry MX compatible stems, it's like hitting another checkpoint :-\

Offline snoopy

• The Flying Ace
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Gone with the Wind
« Reply #90 on: Thu, 28 November 2013, 12:34:07 »
I think that "frame-84 key" is the barrel frame for the original ssk. They always had that, but I think they only recently listed it on their website.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #91 on: Thu, 28 November 2013, 14:04:40 »
I think that "frame-84 key" is the barrel frame for the original ssk. They always had that, but I think they only recently listed it on their website.

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #92 on: Thu, 28 November 2013, 17:09:56 »

Guys, Unicomp has had SSK cases and barrel frames ("chimneys" in unicomp lingo) for a while.

I actually ordered this part in June, when I was restoring CPTbadass's SSK.

edit: there's a good chance that they added it to their website because of my order.

Offline sleepy916

« Reply #93 on: Thu, 28 November 2013, 17:24:55 »

Guys, Unicomp has had SSK cases and barrel frames ("chimneys" in unicomp lingo) for a while.

I actually ordered this part in June, when I was restoring CPTbadass's SSK.

edit: there's a good chance that they added it to their website because of my order.

They sell the ssk case too?
« Last Edit: Thu, 28 November 2013, 18:58:46 by sleepy916 »

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #94 on: Thu, 28 November 2013, 17:33:53 »
They sell the ssk case too?
They have had these in the past if you call them.

Offline dante

« Reply #95 on: Thu, 28 November 2013, 18:11:38 »
Unicomp is ruining Thanksgivings everywhere.  I should be with my family but I just can't stop pressing F5.

Offline neunelfer

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #96 on: Thu, 28 November 2013, 18:13:01 »
(ಥ_ಥ)

Offline BlackWidowMan777

« Reply #97 on: Thu, 28 November 2013, 18:18:01 »
Unicomp is ruining Thanksgivings everywhere.  I should be with my family but I just can't stop pressing F5.

Yeah, I just installed Auto Refresh Plus on Chrome - updates automatically now every 12 seconds   :)

Offline Wildcard

• * Esteemed Elder
  • When caffeine isn't enough
« Reply #98 on: Thu, 28 November 2013, 18:24:47 »
What the?

I knew they had barrel assemblies for the SSK, but the top part of the case as well? That's great. One of my SSK's has engraving on one side so this would be great if it's true.

Offline dante

« Reply #99 on: Thu, 28 November 2013, 18:34:30 »
What I find hard to believe is with as much demand as there is for SSK's that Unicomp's supply of barrel/chasis/chimney's haven't been wiped out by now.  Granted they haven't advertised them recently but you would think 1 or 2 greedy enterprising individuals might have called - discovered them - then bought them all up.

Right now I'm leaning towards the theory of a brand new 60%ish board.  Can someone explain why they would create dual side print function/number keycaps?

Edit: conspiracy theory - some high ranking moderators - particularly those with strong buckling spring knowledge have been in on this for a while and have been helping Unicomp on the side designing this new board.  We'll see - either way one of us will be eating a hat  :p
« Last Edit: Thu, 28 November 2013, 18:38:19 by dante »