Author Topic: Sharp Things - Knives, Swords, Bayonets and Axes - Pictures and discussion  (Read 118194 times)

Offline squarebox

• In Omnia Paratus
Re: Sharp Things - Knives, Swords, Bayonets and Axes - Pictures and discussion
« Reply #100 on: Mon, 06 January 2014, 10:55:29 »
I've seen more than a couple Griptillians around here. I guess it's a pretty good value for a Benchmade.

Quality isn't that impressive after the recent price fixing. As of now, Spyderco offer better value-for-money per quality.
Filco Yellow Edition  | Filco Brown | Filco 2 Brown TKL | G80-1950 | G80-3494 | G80-11900 | Leopold FC500R | Noppoo Choc Mini

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #101 on: Mon, 06 January 2014, 21:07:57 »
I have a whole set of Shun kitchen knives.
Show Image

What you don't know about me is that I grew up in the backwoods of Canada without any electricity or running water.  Our family homesteaded a farm in the total wilderness and we lived 100% off the land.  I didn't get electricity till 1994.  Oh how times have changed.  haha...

Perfectly understand, you need a set of good quality knives to separate the meat from the bone of any animal that comes across your kitchen table.  Although I have a slaughter booth down in the back shed were I dispatch personally the delicious meat off the bone.  Use to work in a slaughter yard when I was young, for about 4 years.

I can't abide spending valuable cash, buying so-called meat from Coles and Woolworths when they sell only old rubbish masquerading as something that's edible.  When you have a nice setup in the bush you can easily eat quality food compared to what most will touch in their life time.

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #102 on: Mon, 06 January 2014, 21:23:34 »
Don't feel like taking a picture yet, but got a nice Benchmade Nimravus for Christmas, and I really like it. Tanto, OD Green, Combo blade in 154CM. Other than that (which is the pride of my tiny collection) I have a couple of cheap Gerber Folders, though one of those was my first knife, so I'm keeping them.

Strangely, they all have metal handles.

Here. Have a stock photo of the knife I have.
Show Image

What I'd do for a Benchmade Folder, but AFAIK AXIS locks are illegal here in Texas. Same with Balisongs if I'm not mistaken.

Damn Benchmade makes some nice knives.

Damn thats nice.. I need to get me a Benchmade..

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #103 on: Mon, 06 January 2014, 21:30:02 »
I've seen more than a couple Griptillians around here. I guess it's a pretty good value for a Benchmade.

Quality isn't that impressive after the recent price fixing. As of now, Spyderco offer better value-for-money per quality.

I agree, I still love the Axis lock though. After playing with my dad's Mini Griptilian I want one.

My only Benchmade is a BM32 that I got on liquidation at Sportsman's Warehouse. Still payed way more than I should have for a "toy", but I couldn't pass up the deal on a nice Benchmade bali  :))

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #104 on: Mon, 06 January 2014, 22:05:55 »
Show Image

What you don't know about me is that I grew up in the backwoods of Canada without any electricity or running water.  Our family homesteaded a farm in the total wilderness and we lived 100% off the land.  I didn't get electricity till 1994.  Oh how times have changed.  haha...

Perfectly understand, you need a set of good quality knives to separate the meat from the bone of any animal that comes across your kitchen table.  Although I have a slaughter booth down in the back shed were I dispatch personally the delicious meat off the bone.  Use to work in a slaughter yard when I was young, for about 4 years.

I can't abide spending valuable cash, buying so-called meat from Coles and Woolworths when they sell only old rubbish masquerading as something that's edible.  When you have a nice setup in the bush you can easily eat quality food compared to what most will touch in their life time.

Ya its not easy to get really good quality meat now days.  There are a few organic farms around here that do some nice stuff and we just buy 1/4 of a cow and 1/2 a pig etc and put it in the deep freeze.  Nothing like the moose and mountain goat I grew up on though...

Offline iri

« Reply #105 on: Tue, 07 January 2014, 09:28:28 »
Show Image

Ya its not easy to get really good quality meat now days.  There are a few organic farms around here that do some nice stuff and we just buy 1/4 of a cow and 1/2 a pig etc and put it in the deep freeze.  Nothing like the moose and mountain goat I grew up on though...
hunting eh?
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #106 on: Tue, 07 January 2014, 09:34:31 »

Show Image

hunting eh?

Nearest mall was 500 miles away. There was a ratio of 1 person per 330 square miles. So ya, we lived completely off the land.  Hunting, fishing and a big ass garden. :)

Offline iri

« Reply #107 on: Thu, 09 January 2014, 03:24:13 »
i mean, why not hunt nowadays?
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #108 on: Thu, 09 January 2014, 03:54:20 »
i mean, why not hunt nowadays?

Still do, in the bush you can take your pick of which Kangaroo, Wild Pig and/or Horse to shoot.  My favorite now is the wild horse, lots of meat but you need at least an hour to strip off the tasty bits.

The down side is then finishing the carcass off before the flies, goannas and wild dogs move in, since in the summer everything seems to come out for a free feed.

Offline Blusey

« Reply #109 on: Thu, 09 January 2014, 06:39:25 »
So I have a knife, will hopefully get a picture up later, however i'm offering a prize to anyone who can help me find what it's worth.. or decent information on it :D. The knife is a Bowie knife and it has a picture of a picture of John Wayne across the actual blade itself. Haven't been able to find it anywhere. Apparently it was a limited edition/official bowie knife.

Offline Blusey

« Reply #110 on: Sat, 11 January 2014, 12:03:01 »
So I have a knife, will hopefully get a picture up later, however i'm offering a prize to anyone who can help me find what it's worth.. or decent information on it :D. The knife is a Bowie knife and it has a picture of a picture of John Wayne across the actual blade itself. Haven't been able to find it anywhere. Apparently it was a limited edition/official bowie knife.

Really hoping someone can help me with this ^

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #111 on: Sat, 11 January 2014, 12:47:11 »
What are all these knives needed for? Apart from.the cooking ones.

Being hella gangsta bro. Gotta knife mother ****ers after you shoot em, make sure they dead

Offline xredman

« Reply #112 on: Sat, 11 January 2014, 14:37:36 »
I got this as a gift today.  :)

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #113 on: Sat, 11 January 2014, 14:42:56 »

I agree, I still love the Axis lock though. After playing with my dad's Mini Griptilian I want one.

Show Image

My only Benchmade is a BM32 that I got on liquidation at Sportsman's Warehouse. Still payed way more than I should have for a "toy", but I couldn't pass up the deal on a nice Benchmade bali  :))

This is beautiful! I should get mine today!  :cool:

Mods, shouldn't this be media? Its mostly photos.  :thumb:

Offline iri

« Reply #114 on: Sat, 11 January 2014, 15:08:50 »
Axis locks are illegal in Texas?
what is the reason to make a ****en knife lock illegal? and how is this enforced?

-Ray Bradbury

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #115 on: Sat, 11 January 2014, 15:36:20 »
what is the reason to make a ****en knife lock illegal? and how is this enforced?

Yeah here in MN the only knife law is no automatics. I believe.. Some have said under 4" is legal but thats only in MPLS I believe.

Offline inteli722

• Waiting for too much stuff...
« Reply #116 on: Sat, 11 January 2014, 15:47:10 »

It's apparently considered a switchblade, though AFAIK it isn't (except for the Axis auto). IT may also be considered a Gravity knife, though.

I should also specify it's illegal to carry a switchblade/gravity knife. You can technically own one, but it must stay on your property as a collection item. I wanted something with purpose, and you can carry anything here under 5 inches as long as it isn't a switchblade/gravity knife, so I went with a Nimravus, which is a fixed blade and 4.8 inches long
More

Visit the Typing Test and try!
R.I.P. SmallFry! You will be dearly missed.
Leopold FC200 |  CoolerMaster QFP Browns | Quickfire Rapid Greens | Quickfire Rapid Blues
Waiting for: Phantom Plate

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #117 on: Sat, 11 January 2014, 16:09:28 »
I should also specify it's illegal to carry a switchblade/gravity knife.

You can equally damage anyone with a ball point pen especially when aimed at the eyes or the carotid artery.  Thank god the idiot pigs have never resorted to banning, carrying writing implements just yet  ::) .

Offline inteli722

« Reply #118 on: Sat, 11 January 2014, 16:22:54 »

You can equally damage anyone with a ball point pen especially when aimed at the eyes or the carotid artery.  Thank god the idiot pigs have never resorted to banning, carrying writing implements just yet  ::) .

Doesn't make a ton of sense, but we have to deal with it.
More

Leopold FC200 |  CoolerMaster QFP Browns | Quickfire Rapid Greens | Quickfire Rapid Blues

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #119 on: Sat, 11 January 2014, 16:29:31 »

Lmao... 'Great point'... (I'm joking ofc your talking utter **** but still)

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #120 on: Sat, 11 January 2014, 18:20:45 »
My daily driver. Benchmade Auto Stryker. I have had this knife almost 3 years now.

In order from left to right - Benchmade Auto Stryker, Emerson Protech Auto Tanto, Kershaw Breakout Auto, and H&K Scorch Auto

The H&K Scorch has a pretty cool trigger mechanism.

Some of Ye ole  Keyboards -->
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline inteli722

« Reply #121 on: Sat, 11 January 2014, 18:25:57 »
My daily driver. Benchmade Auto Stryker. I have had this knife almost 3 years now.

Show Image

In order from left to right - Benchmade Auto Stryker, Emerson Protech Auto Tanto, Kershaw Breakout Auto, and H&K Scorch Auto

Show Image

Very nice looking knives.
More

Offline inteli722

« Reply #122 on: Sat, 11 January 2014, 19:27:59 »
Also, I did a bit of research, and it appears that, aside from local laws, Automatic knives are now legal here in Texas as of September! Auto Triage, here I come!
More

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #123 on: Sat, 11 January 2014, 20:22:32 »
Also, I did a bit of research, and it appears that, aside from local laws, Automatic knives are now legal here in Texas as of September! Auto Triage, here I come!

Again you're living in the last place called FREEDOM, here where I live, pigs can stop and search you for anything that you're carrying and if they find any knife at all you're charged and taken down to the local pig-shop for further fines and questioning. 

If they do find you carrying any sort of knife it automatically gives them right to search your place of residence to locate any more so-called illegal items (all what's deemed illegal at the time - it always has more and more items on that list so that it guarantees them more easy charges).  They don't need to work hard in getting convictions off the stupid and unintelligent.

Trust me, better to not carry anything except a sharp metal ballpoint pen when you live here in Convict Town  :thumb: .

Offline inteli722

« Reply #124 on: Sat, 11 January 2014, 20:25:58 »

Again you're living in the last place called FREEDOM, here where I live, pigs can stop and search you for anything that you're carrying and if they find any knife at all you're charged and taken down to the local pig-shop for further fines and questioning. 

If they do find you carrying any sort of knife it automatically gives them right to search your place of residence to locate any more so-called illegal items (all what's deemed illegal at the time - it always has more and more items on that list so that it guarantees them more easy charges).  They don't need to work hard in getting convictions off the stupid and unintelligent.

Trust me, better to not carry anything except a sharp metal ballpoint pen when you live here in Convict Town  :thumb: .

Do you mean something like:

or something like

Anyways, yeah. glad the knife law here is less screwy, and I feel bad for you for having to put up with stupid **** like that.
More

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #125 on: Sat, 11 January 2014, 20:35:41 »

Show Image

or something like

Show Image

Anyways, yeah. glad the knife law here is less screwy, and I feel bad for you for having to put up with stupid **** like that.

For emergencies like you're sitting across the table looking into the eyes of someone you want to exact extreme vengeance with (like Dexter did in his last episode), then a basic BIC ballpoint pen will suffice.

Better though to have a full metal casing pen just in case you need to re-adjust your aim in a tight headlock to help penetrate the eyes without the pen body breaking off.  It won't kill them but with their surprise and shock it gives you time to up the ante for the final hit.  Not condoning killing anyone here just saying what can be done with only a simple pen.

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #126 on: Sat, 11 January 2014, 21:14:40 »

Here in FL it is not illegal for them to be sold. However I get most of mine from http://bladehq.com

Show Image

Show Image

Very nice looking knives.

More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #127 on: Sat, 11 January 2014, 21:21:25 »
To all the knife collectors...

Do you have lots of things to cut everyday?

besides bread

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #128 on: Sat, 11 January 2014, 21:50:48 »
I finally got my Griptilian! I love it! Such amazing quality. Love the Axis Lock.

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #129 on: Sat, 11 January 2014, 21:53:26 »
I finally got my Griptilian! I love it! Such amazing quality. Love the Axis Lock.

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Very nice.
More

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline inteli722

« Reply #130 on: Sat, 11 January 2014, 21:54:37 »
Great, with autos legal here, I have another hobby to get into  ::)

I'm thinking Auto Triage for any eventuality.
More

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #131 on: Sat, 11 January 2014, 21:59:48 »

Have you ever looked at Protech knives? http://www.bladehq.com/cat--Protech-Auto--68      They are built like a tank.

The only issue I have with them is they do not put safeties on most of their knives except for some of the Emerson models.

Don't get me wrong. Benchmade is my #1 favorite, but check out some of Protech's stuff if you ever get a chance.
« Last Edit: Sat, 11 January 2014, 22:06:10 by CommonCurt »
More

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline inteli722

« Reply #132 on: Sat, 11 January 2014, 22:14:53 »

Have you ever looked at Protech knives? http://www.bladehq.com/cat--Protech-Auto--68      They are built like a tank.

The only issue I have with them is they do not put safeties on most of their knives except for some of the Emerson models.

Don't get me wrong. Benchmade is my #1 favorite, but check out some of Protech's stuff if you ever get a chance.
Well I have a couple of reasons for choosing the Triage. It's Benchmade, so it's going to be of amazing quality, It's an extremely versatile knife, and it seems like a good size for EDC. While those look great, and I don't doubt they're of great quality for the price, I think the Triage suits my needs a little better than Protech would. However, I think I might look into Protech for any gifts  as they would probably suit that role very, very well.

I'd like a Benchmade for my EDC, but I think I'll get my Dad a Protech sometime if he doesn't get himself a Benchmade.
More

Offline Malphas

« Reply #133 on: Sun, 12 January 2014, 03:59:21 »

Show Image

or something like

Show Image

For emergencies like you're sitting across the table looking into the eyes of someone you want to exact extreme vengeance with (like Dexter did in his last episode), then a basic BIC ballpoint pen will suffice.

Better though to have a full metal casing pen just in case you need to re-adjust your aim in a tight headlock to help penetrate the eyes without the pen body breaking off.  It won't kill them but with their surprise and shock it gives you time to up the ante for the final hit.  Not condoning killing anyone here just saying what can be done with only a simple pen.

Perhaps it's for the best that carrying knives is illegal where you live then.
« Last Edit: Sun, 12 January 2014, 04:00:59 by Malphas »

Offline Blusey

« Reply #134 on: Sun, 12 January 2014, 07:25:12 »

Really :P? no one? I was going to throw a GasMask if someone could help find anything about this knife haha. Trying to upload a pictures a pain in the ass though. But as said. It has a picture of john wayne and then some other stuff on the blade itself.

Offline iri

« Reply #135 on: Sun, 12 January 2014, 09:36:09 »
Ironically, in modern-day Texas, the state Jim Bowie died defending, the carrying of a Bowie knife "on or about one's person" is specifically prohibited under state law.

wow. just wow.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline iri

« Reply #136 on: Sun, 12 January 2014, 09:44:01 »

Really :P? no one? I was going to throw a GasMask if someone could help find anything about this knife haha. Trying to upload a pictures a pain in the ass though. But as said. It has a picture of john wayne and then some other stuff on the blade itself.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline Blusey

« Reply #137 on: Sun, 12 January 2014, 09:49:37 »
none ofg those :/

Offline Blusey

« Reply #138 on: Sun, 12 January 2014, 11:07:26 »
Finally got a picture! Remember if you can work out value, find me a location that sells or knows more info I'll reward (:

(:

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #139 on: Sun, 12 January 2014, 16:51:20 »
Finally got a picture! Remember if you can work out value, find me a location that sells or knows more info I'll reward (:

Show Image

(:

Where are you located?  If I find you somewhere in a different country it probably won't be very helpful to you...

Offline Blusey

« Reply #140 on: Sun, 12 January 2014, 16:52:04 »

Show Image

(:

Where are you located?  If I find you somewhere in a different country it probably won't be very helpful to you...

That will still be acceptable to me (: im from the UK I just want info / price check on this haha.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #141 on: Sun, 12 January 2014, 16:55:34 »

Show Image

(:

That will still be acceptable to me (: im from the UK I just want info / price check on this haha.

Fair enough.  For some reason I would expect western US to be the best place to start looking.  :P

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #142 on: Sun, 12 January 2014, 18:23:44 »

Show Image

i had this benchmade (well, the one that was also partly serrated). It was awesome, and after some use the open/close mechanism was butter smooth. But, the black coating came off REALLY fast. I ended up returning it and buying a thule roof rack system.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline inteli722

« Reply #143 on: Sun, 12 January 2014, 19:20:11 »

Show Image

i had this benchmade (well, the one that was also partly serrated). It was awesome, and after some use the open/close mechanism was butter smooth. But, the black coating came off REALLY fast. I ended up returning it and buying a thule roof rack system.

You do know you could've sent it off to Benchmade and had it replaced for a low cost, right? I believe you could have even asked them to swap it out for a satin blade, instead, which would not have had the black coating to wear off.
More

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #144 on: Sun, 12 January 2014, 20:13:58 »

Show Image

You do know you could've sent it off to Benchmade and had it replaced for a low cost, right? I believe you could have even asked them to swap it out for a satin blade, instead, which would not have had the black coating to wear off.

Meh. Wasting my time and money. Next time I'll go with one without the coating. Plus I've gotten more use out of the rack I got.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline Blusey

« Reply #145 on: Mon, 13 January 2014, 05:29:06 »

Show Image

(:

Fair enough.  For some reason I would expect western US to be the best place to start looking.  :P
Well I've got no idea where to start :P

Offline inteli722

« Reply #146 on: Thu, 16 January 2014, 21:05:43 »

« Last Edit: Thu, 16 January 2014, 21:10:15 by inteli722 »
More

Offline godly_music

« Reply #147 on: Sat, 18 January 2014, 08:58:46 »

besides bread

...Ourselves? Nah, we don't really have any more uses for them than ordinary folk, as much as we try to replace a pair of scissors with our tactical knife, a box cutter with our tactical knife and a hammer with the butt-end of our tactical knife. It ends up looking silly after a while if you have company, especially if you're quick on the draw and your hands shake / eyebrow twitches.

Offline mmmty

• bang! bang!
« Reply #148 on: Sat, 18 January 2014, 10:27:11 »

besides bread

I cut cheese  ;)
Keyboardless

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
« Reply #149 on: Sat, 18 January 2014, 11:39:53 »
The latest to my collection.

Show Image

Picked it up online at bass pro for free, got a gift card from my dad. Sweet.

Nice! Was looking at the S&W S&R...
It's like a KBar, but cheaper (half the price around here) and the hand-guard is actually placed in the correct direction (for combat knife) on the S&W.
« Last Edit: Sat, 18 January 2014, 11:41:27 by TheSoulhunter »