Author Topic: [GB] Filco tenkeyless custom ATmega32u4 controller - All gone, that's it folks.  (Read 252041 times)

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
Re: [Interest Check] Filco tenkeyless custom ATmega32u4 controller.
« Reply #350 on: Fri, 19 October 2012, 17:22:47 »
Looks like a fun time!
I love Elzy

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #351 on: Fri, 19 October 2012, 17:25:44 »
Glissant, are you going to try to do SMD soldering with standard iron with small tip or do you have a hot air station?

Offline gizzard

« Reply #352 on: Fri, 19 October 2012, 17:29:00 »
1. this is awesome.  Huge props to bpiphany
2.  Sadly, its been years since i messed with microcontrollers
   1.  Anybody dig up that Atmel bootloader for windows?  Ideally one that works with windows 7
   2.  to turn C->hex, i assume i need to run the makefile through a compiler...  For those of us who have become lame javascript coders, what is an easy compiler to install and run on windows
   3.  Didnt see a micro USB port on the chip.  I assume im going to need a USB -> serial pin adapter.  Any ideas?
   4.  Is the best way to deal with the code to mess with the matrix or to dabble with the main?  OK, i assume this question is answered by some post/wiki on teensy.. can someone link it up in this thread?

I figure these are all questions that other people are wondering as well.  Thanks for being patient with me.. its been about a decade since i could do this stuff.

Offline Glissant

« Reply #353 on: Fri, 19 October 2012, 17:30:32 »
Glissant, are you going to try to do SMD soldering with standard iron with small tip or do you have a hot air station?

When I find the time I will be trying to SMD solder with a standard iron with small tip. I bought it as a learning tool =).

Offline bpiphany

• bpiph is a special type of crazy. //mkawa
« Reply #354 on: Fri, 19 October 2012, 18:08:25 »
1. this is awesome.  Huge props to bpiphany
2.  Sadly, its been years since i messed with microcontrollers
   1.  Anybody dig up that Atmel bootloader for windows?  Ideally one that works with windows 7
   2.  to turn C->hex, i assume i need to run the makefile through a compiler...  For those of us who have become lame javascript coders, what is an easy compiler to install and run on windows
   3.  Didnt see a micro USB port on the chip.  I assume im going to need a USB -> serial pin adapter.  Any ideas?
   4.  Is the best way to deal with the code to mess with the matrix or to dabble with the main?  OK, i assume this question is answered by some post/wiki on teensy.. can someone link it up in this thread?

I figure these are all questions that other people are wondering as well.  Thanks for being patient with me.. its been about a decade since i could do this stuff.

There is a bootloader on the chip. So if you plug it into your Filco board, you can just connect that like normal to your computer and you'll talk to the bootloader over USB =)

I have no clue on winAVR or anything Windows related. But I would recommend a proper OS for any programming work... Ubuntu can be installed within a file container on your Windows system, and there is also cygwin to give you a *nix like environment.

Atmel has their FLIP tool to talk to the bootloader http://www.atmel.com/tools/FLIP.aspx It was a bit tricky to install when I tried it out. But after that it seemed to work just fine.

When I find the time I will be trying to SMD solder with a standard iron with small tip. I bought it as a learning tool =).

I tried doing most steps with my "large" 2.2mm chisel tip iron, and it was quite ok actually. Turning it on the short edge doing tight stuff really helps. Chisel tips are the best though, you wan them quite narrow, although wide is ok at the same time.

Offline oneproduct

• @Ubisoft
« Reply #355 on: Fri, 19 October 2012, 19:42:31 »
I had tried to install FLIP on Windows first but when I ran into problems tried moving to Ubuntu. However, trying to install it there proved even more troublesome and I ended up coming back to Windows. Here are some instructions to get people started:

1. Go to http://www.atmel.com/tools/FLIP.aspx and download FLIP. For most people you'll want the 2nd one on the list which is "FLIP 3.4.7 for Windows (Java Runtime Environement included)".
2. Install FLIP.
3. Plug in your keyboard and press both Shifts. Windows will detect the bootloader but will fail to find drivers for it. (@bpiphany Assuming it's not super obvious when we look at... whatever it is we use to configure this, could you inform us how to change this to something even more obscure? Sometimes I'll press both shifts for a split second when I realize I'm holding down the "wrong" shift, i.e. not the one opposite to the key I need to press so I switch to hit the other and may accidentally hit both)
4. Go to Device Manager and you'll see the bootloader listed among the devices.
5. Right-click on it and select Update Drivers.
6. Browse to your FLIP folder and there is a folder called "usb" inside of it. Point the driver updater to that.
7. Run FLIP (you'll have a shortcut on your desktop if you chose that during install).
8. Press the first icon from the left (looks like an integrated circuit) or you can pick Device > Select from the menu.
9. Select ATmega32U4 from the list.
10. Press the second icon from the left (looks like a USB cable) or you can pick Settings > Communication > USB.
11. Press Open at the prompt and you're connected!

Now if someone can give me a hint about how to actually setup the hex files to load onto it I'd be happy to hear it! :D
If you're feeling super generous and just want to set up a Colemak layout file for me, even better! http://colemak.com/ (just the letters and caps lock to backspace are different relative to Qwerty)

Edit: Looked at the Github repo for this, saw the makefile and was thinking to myself, "woohoo, this should be easy!"
I moved over to Ubuntu, fiddled with the avr_keyboard.c file and changed the keys I needed easily enough and tried to run make... but alas no, I need avr-gcc which has several dependencies which have dependencies of their own! http://www.nongnu.org/avr-libc/user-manual/install_tools.html
I was working through them slowly but at the very end I had a version mismatch and was consumed with sadness! Might have a stab at this again a bit later, but easy answers would be nice as well!
« Last Edit: Fri, 19 October 2012, 21:51:55 by oneproduct »
Layout: Colemak
Fastest typing speed: 131 WPM on typeracer, 136 WPM on 10fastfingers.
Daily driver: Filco Tenkeyless MX Brown with ergonomically weighted, lubed springs.
Ergo keyboards: Truly Ergonomic, Kinesis Advantage, Ergodox

Offline gizzard

Re: [GB] Filco tenkeyless custom ATmega32u4 controller.
« Reply #356 on: Sat, 20 October 2012, 00:50:36 »
One product-thanks for the explanation!!  When you figure out how to compile to hex and load it up, but sure to post!! 

Offline bpiphany

« Reply #357 on: Sat, 20 October 2012, 02:43:06 »
On Ubuntu - use any programmer worthy editor, like emacs, vim, or whatever. Compile with the Makefile from a terminal, and talk to the bootloader through dfu-programmer tool. Atmel's last FLIP version for Linux is like 5 years old or so...

Offline bisl

« Reply #358 on: Sat, 20 October 2012, 04:45:58 »
Aha! I notice the thread title has changed from [Interest Check] to [GB]. Good things ahead!

:D

Offline bpiphany

« Reply #359 on: Sat, 20 October 2012, 05:10:17 »
Aha! I notice the thread title has changed from [Interest Check] to [GB]. Good things ahead!

:D

I noticed as well... Thanks for helping me out on that Reaper =)

Offline reaper

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #360 on: Sat, 20 October 2012, 12:30:54 »

Thanks for helping me out on that Reaper =)

You're weclome.  :)
Att fly är livet, att dröja, döden.
Din Eli

Offline oneproduct

• @Ubisoft
« Reply #361 on: Sun, 21 October 2012, 00:48:50 »
I've figured out how to reprogram the keyboard in Windows, which I'm sure is what most people are interested in. I've successfully changed my keyboard from Qwerty to Colemak. It's late now but I'll post a tutorial about how to do it tomorrow. For those who aren't tech savvy, don't worry, it's fairly easy and I'm pretty good at describing things in plain English. :)
Daily driver: Filco Tenkeyless MX Brown with ergonomically weighted, lubed springs.

Offline bpiphany

« Reply #362 on: Sun, 21 October 2012, 01:37:20 »
I solved the 128 key matrix limit I had. The obvious solution was using structs rather than doing a pointer-to-every-other-item-hack. I also solved the bootloader jump problem I had. Not as prettily though.. =)

So the code has been merged into my AVR-Keyboard repository https://github.com/BathroomEpiphanies/AVR-Keyboard

The Makefile needs to have these options selected
Code: [Select]
BOARD = hib_liber
LAYOUT = ansi_iso_jis
MCU = atmega32u4
F_CPU = 16000000
B_LOADER = \"jmp\ 0x7000\"

In a proper OS terminal to build the firmware
make clean; make
And to flash the firmware to the controller
dfu-programmer atmega32u4 erase
dfu-programmer atmega32u4 flash avr_keyboard.hex
dfu-programmer atmega32u4 start

Offline oneproduct

• @Ubisoft
« Reply #363 on: Sun, 21 October 2012, 01:42:16 »
Here's a tutorial for making simple layout changes to your keyboard in Windows, which I imagine is what most people are interested in. This tutorial does not cover how to do fancy things with extra layers and such. I'll have to try to fiddle with that myself in the future if I can even figure out how to do it.

@bpiphany
Perhaps you could link to this post in the original post so people can find it.

1. Get "Make for Windows"
a. Download this http://sourceforge.net/projects/gnuwin32/files/make/3.81/make-3.81.exe/download?use_mirror=iweb&download=
b. Install it, preferably to C:/GnuWin32/
c. Open the Control Panel
d. Select System
e. Select Advanced System Settings
f. Go to the Advanced tab
g. Select Environment Variables
h. In the lower box, called System Variables, scroll down and find "Path"
i. Click Edit...
j. In the Variable value box, go all the way to the end. If there isn't a semi-colon, put one. After the semi-colon add C:\GnuWin32\bin or wherever you actually installed it to plus an extra \bin at the end.

2. Get WinAVR
a. Download this http://cmtk3.webring.org/l/rd?ring=avr;id=59;url=http%3A%2F%2Fwinavr.sourceforge.net%2F
b. Install it and when you do make sure to leave the "Add directory to PATH" option enabled (it's on by default)

3. Get the source code for the keyboard
a. Download this https://github.com/BathroomEpiphanies/AVR-Keyboard/zipball/master
b. Extract it somewhere easy to get to
c. In the folder, open "Makefile" with a text editing program. The regular Windows Notepad seems to butcher the formatting, but WordPad works fine if you don't have anything else. If you're looking for something a bit better, you could try downloading and installing Notepad++ http://download.tuxfamily.org/notepadplus/6.2/npp.6.2.Installer.exe
d. Find this line and remove the word "end" from it
build: avr_keyboard.hex avr_keyboard.eep end
e. Find this line and remove the words "end" and "clean" from it
.PHONY : build hex eep end clean
f. Remove these two whole sections (all they do is delete the .dep folder that will be created later on, which you can do manually if you want)
end:
@echo
find . -regextype posix-awk -regex \
"(.*\.cof|.*\.elf|.*\.map|.*\.sym|.*\.lss|.*\.o|.*\.lst|.*\.s|.*\.d|.*\.i)" \
-exec rm {} +
rm -rf .dep

clean:
@echo
@echo Cleaning everything:
find . -maxdepth 1 -regextype posix-awk -regex \
"(.*\.hex|.*\.eep|.*\.cof|.*\.elf|.*\.map|.*\.sym|.*\.lss|.*\.o|.*\.lst|.*\.s|.*\.d|.*\.i)" \
-exec rm {} +
rm -rf .dep

4. Make your custom keyboard layout
a. Go to the folder hid_liber and open ansi_iso_jis.c in a text editor.
b. This is where you can rebind your keys. For example, you can replace KEY_A with KEY_Z or whatever you wish. For those interested in layers, it isn't covered in this tutorial, this just deals with basic changes.
c. Save the file when you're done.
d. Go back to the main folder (that contains the file called "Makefile"). Hold Ctrl+Shift and right-click in the folder.
e. Select "Open command window here".
f. Type "make" and press enter. You'll now have a new avr_keyboard.hex file in that folder.

5. Install FLIP (the ATmega32U4 programming tool)
a. Download this http://www.atmel.com/Images/JRE%20-%20Flip%20Installer%20-%203.4.7.112.exe
( alternatively, if you already have a Java runtime environment installed you can get this instead http://www.atmel.com/Images/Flip%20Installer%20-%203.4.7.112.exe )
b. Install FLIP.

6. Install the bootloader driver
a. Plug in your keyboard.
b. Press both shifts. Windows will detect the bootloader but will fail to find drivers for it. Note that this will probably make your keyboard and mouse inputs weird because it thinks you're still holding down shift. For me I found the easiest way to fix this is to press the Windows button and write "keyboard" in the search box then open the "On-Screen Keyboard" program. Typing anything while it's open seems to fix it.
c. Open the Control Panel.
d. Select Device Manager and you'll see the bootloader listed among the devices.
e. Right-click on it and select Update Drivers.
f. Browse to where you installed FLIP and there is a folder called "usb" inside of it. Point the driver updater to that.

7. Loading the hex file to the keyboard
a. Run FLIP (you'll have a shortcut on your desktop if you chose that during install).
b. Press the first icon from the left (looks like an integrated circuit) or you can pick Device > Select from the menu.
c. Select ATmega32U4 from the list.
d. Press the second icon from the left (looks like a USB cable) or you can pick Settings > Communication > USB.
e. Press Open at the prompt.
f. Press the third icon from right (looks like an arrow pointing at an open book) or you can pick File > Load HEX File.
g. Browse to avr_keyboard.hex which we made in step 4.
h. Press the Run button at the bottom left. You're done! Disconnect and reconnect your keyboard and enjoy.
« Last Edit: Tue, 23 October 2012, 15:36:57 by oneproduct »

Offline bpiphany

« Reply #364 on: Sun, 21 October 2012, 02:09:50 »
Wow, that is a lot of text ;D

I suggest adding stuff to this wiki page I just created instead. That way anyone can contribute without needing me to edit any post. I will link to it in the first post instead.
http://deskthority.net/wiki/HID_Liberation_Device_-_Instructions

Offline gizzard

« Reply #365 on: Sun, 21 October 2012, 03:16:40 »
Amazing.  Now I just need the board :p

Offline mickd

« Reply #366 on: Sun, 21 October 2012, 07:30:18 »
Got the email, will pay soon-ish ;) Kind of low on liquid funds at the moment, ha!

Offline bpiphany

« Reply #367 on: Sun, 21 October 2012, 07:33:28 »
Oh, yeah, and don't run off paying straight away to Paypal. Send me your order specification, and I'll send you a Paypal invoice =)

Offline fruktstund

• !
« Reply #368 on: Sun, 21 October 2012, 07:37:53 »
Oh, so it's possible to do it on Windows too? Neat. Couldn't build anything at all on my laptop (running Arch Linux) due to outdated packages, and when I did a full system upgrade I kind of broke the whole system. Was for the better anyway, I think, since I hadn't updated anything for about a year. That's what happens when you have a broadband connection of 0.5Mb/s, people. :) Not recommended!

Offline bpiphany

« Reply #369 on: Sun, 21 October 2012, 07:52:52 »
Uploading the solder instruction videos may have been the first time I really noticed my 100Mbit upload speed. I pay "nothing" for my 100/100Mbit connection =D My neighborhood has 900 apartments. I think they got a very sweet deal on their Internet connection a couple of years ago, and now it is included in the monthly fee, which they didn't increase. I went from paying $20 a month for 10/10Mbit to paying nothing for ten times as much..

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #370 on: Sun, 21 October 2012, 09:17:33 »
Damn, I pay $60 for 12/2 and that's in the top tier around here.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline fruktstund

• !
« Reply #371 on: Sun, 21 October 2012, 09:43:36 »
Sweden is quite highly ranked when it comes to broadband connections, I believe. I know my grandmother's neighbours get the same kind of deal as you bpiphany, while she has to pay $19 for 100/10 Mbit. Poor her. :P (Best thing is that she's able to get 1000/100 too, lol.)
Out here on the countryside it's a bit different though. $38 for 0.5/0.5 Mbit, and that's the best wired connection we can get. Have been using a 4G connection (with a directional antenna) for a couple of weeks now, and I usually get around 7/8Mbit. It's quite a big upgrade from 0.5Mb/s. :D

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #372 on: Mon, 22 October 2012, 20:47:18 »
Got these in today  :D . My goodness some of the components are smaller than I thought. Props to you bipiphany for being able to do SMD soldering with just an iron. How long did it take you to solder each one? I'll start playing around with the programming when I have time. Here are some pics in the meantime.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #373 on: Mon, 22 October 2012, 21:31:37 »
Nice Filco!

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
« Reply #374 on: Tue, 23 October 2012, 01:03:36 »
Mine has arrived! No time yet to get it out :(

Offline gameaholic

« Reply #375 on: Tue, 23 October 2012, 06:52:50 »
I want one.  I would need help programming it though.  I would like to switch my caps lock to control (so 2 controls) and I would like the LEDS to alternate lighting up every time I push a key (kinda like the reactive mode on a ducky YOTD).

« Last Edit: Tue, 23 October 2012, 07:09:04 by gameaholic »
IBM Model M SSK, Filco MJ2 Ninja TKL with Reds ergo-clears, CM Storm QFR 55g Whites, Poker II with Reds

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #376 on: Tue, 23 October 2012, 08:20:30 »
Cant wait to get mine i have 2 filcos sitting and waiting for them.

Offline tjweir

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #377 on: Tue, 23 October 2012, 08:47:11 »
Just paid for mine.  I'm excited to see how much my soldering skill has deteriorated in the 19years since I did any. :)

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #378 on: Tue, 23 October 2012, 09:29:58 »
Damn, I pay $60 for 12/2 and that's in the top tier around here.
I pay $60 for 3/1 because monopolies suck. I'm too far from the college campus to get a cantenna working.

Bpiphany, why did you poke the atmel chip during the soldering video?

Offline bpiphany

« Reply #379 on: Tue, 23 October 2012, 10:09:31 »
I'm flat out of pin header now.. My cheap ass ones from China ebay still haven't arrived. But I just put an order on Mouser for more of them. And 25 more ATmegas. I have a few boards lacking only the pin headers. They will be quick to finish. And I should be able to prepare some more tomorrow as well. The headers should arrive the very latest after the weekend. But I suppose the China ones will probably show up tomorrow =P

I bought a new pack of stamps today at least =) Some of you have probably already gotten the 12kr "stampus gigantus" with socks on them. I have no idea why they made them that huge... But they look kinda cool =D

Bpiphany, why did you poke the atmel chip during the soldering video?
Just to release it from the tweezers. I need to force them to go that far apart, and I just don't want to crook the orientation pulling them off =)

Got these in today  :D . My goodness some of the components are smaller than I thought. Props to you bipiphany for being able to do SMD soldering with just an iron. How long did it take you to solder each one? I'll start playing around with the programming when I have time. Here are some pics in the meantime.
I would like to say that I am able to squeeze out 4 an hour when I am up to speed, but it's probably closer to 3... It takes some extra time doing the final steps and inspection and corrections. Packaging, keeping track of payments, and such also takes some time in the end.
« Last Edit: Tue, 23 October 2012, 10:13:03 by bpiphany »

Offline Kalmarauder

« Reply #380 on: Tue, 23 October 2012, 17:01:47 »
They come soldered, unless you request for one unsoldered. All you have to do is pluck the stock filco controller off and plug this one in, so soldering required.

Oh, awesome! Well, I would definitely like to buy one.

Offline Surreal Killa

« Reply #381 on: Wed, 24 October 2012, 01:21:48 »
I'm looking forward to getting this bad boy.
You're not hardcore! (No, you're not hardcore)
Unless you live hardcore! (Unless you live hardcore)
But the legend of the rent was way hardcore!

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #382 on: Wed, 24 October 2012, 01:24:35 »
This should work with a Filco Camo right?
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline 4LI4Z

« Reply #383 on: Wed, 24 October 2012, 10:58:11 »
Got mine today. Realy nice packaging and quick shiping.

Yes, it should work with a Filco Camo. As far as I know the only difference between a Camo and a normal Majestouch 2 Filco is the case.
BLING BLING GOLD SPRING

ErgoClear Filco MJT2 TKL || Apple EK II || Hall Effect Keypad || Cherry G81 HAD || IBM M SSK

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #384 on: Wed, 24 October 2012, 12:32:04 »
Got mine today as well, and I already have them installed in 3 of my Filco's. Just using the stock programming for now, but I'll attempt to program it later. Thanks, bpiphany!

KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline tjweir

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #385 on: Wed, 24 October 2012, 13:14:09 »
For OS X users, give CrossPack a shot - http://www.obdev.at/products/crosspack/index.html

I don't have my Liberation boards yet, so I can't test.
I'll keep my fork of the firmware up to date when I have my boards.
https://github.com/tjweir/AVR-Keyboard

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #386 on: Wed, 24 October 2012, 14:51:06 »
Got mine today. Realy nice packaging and quick shiping.

Yes, it should work with a Filco Camo. As far as I know the only difference between a Camo and a normal Majestouch 2 Filco is the case.

Sweet ^___^
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #387 on: Wed, 24 October 2012, 16:13:34 »
I didn't have time to mess with reprogramming yet, but one thing I noticed is that when holding both shifts down and pressing a few other keys, the keyboard disconnect from the computer and is no longer recognized or responds. Unplugging and replugging the USB cable back in reboots the keyboard to working condition again. Is this normal or a bug in the firmware?

Offline bpiphany

« Reply #388 on: Wed, 24 October 2012, 21:18:13 »
I didn't have time to mess with reprogramming yet, but one thing I noticed is that when holding both shifts down and pressing a few other keys, the keyboard disconnect from the computer and is no longer recognized or responds. Unplugging and replugging the USB cable back in reboots the keyboard to working condition again. Is this normal or a bug in the firmware?

That should actually be the only noticeable difference from the original one. Pressing both shifts makes the device enter the bootloader =) Someone reported that this may have adverse effects on Windows, but I haven't tried that myself..

Offline oneproduct

• @Ubisoft
« Reply #389 on: Wed, 24 October 2012, 22:24:03 »
I changed that on mine since I would probably accidentally hit both shifts at some times. I have mine set to both controls, both alts and both shifts all together. :)

Offline bpiphany

« Reply #390 on: Thu, 25 October 2012, 08:42:39 »
FedEx was here with headers and ATmegas. But that will have to wait until tomorrow. I need to sleep =P

6704-0

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #391 on: Thu, 25 October 2012, 09:17:14 »
That first cat pic... 'What!? I happen to like boxes. :P'
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline 4LI4Z

« Reply #392 on: Thu, 25 October 2012, 10:07:02 »
Nice pics!  ;D

BLING BLING GOLD SPRING

ErgoClear Filco MJT2 TKL || Apple EK II || Hall Effect Keypad || Cherry G81 HAD || IBM M SSK

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #393 on: Thu, 25 October 2012, 10:43:49 »
So...I know you just finished the Filco controller and all, but are you planning on doing a QFRapid Controller? If not, may we get the Gerber files to modify the Filco controller?

Offline bpiphany

« Reply #394 on: Thu, 25 October 2012, 11:11:37 »
I need to learn how to order from a pick-and-place manufacturer. I prepared another 10 for the last step of header pins yesterday, and I am not as fast as I like to pretend =P It's not reasonable to assemble this many by hand the way I am doing now. It's been good soldering practice, but I've done that now =) With reflow soldering I can also move to using a controller with enough IO-pins to use the internal pull-ups. There will be more setups costs, more steps, and I will also need to tool a solder paste dispensing stencil. But when everything is set up there should be no problem chunking them out by the hundreds in no time at all =D I would like to do a controller for the full size Filco as well. After that there may be other interesting ones as well I guess...

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #395 on: Thu, 25 October 2012, 13:54:17 »
I changed that on mine since I would probably accidentally hit both shifts at some times. I have mine set to both controls, both alts and both shifts all together. :)
I like that definitely not going to accidentally do that.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #396 on: Thu, 25 October 2012, 13:57:36 »
:( still haven't gotten a pm about getting some :( but its cool ive got some other projects at the moment also
« Last Edit: Thu, 25 October 2012, 13:59:30 by TheProfosist »

Offline bpiphany

« Reply #397 on: Thu, 25 October 2012, 16:06:53 »
:( still haven't gotten a pm about getting some :( but its cool ive got some other projects at the moment also

Let's do that today then ;) I should be able to start putting headers onto the units I've got almost ready tomorrow. Then shippings can resume again. Disregarding the ones lacking headers, I've either soldered or made DIY kits of 99 of the PCBs (Soldered most of them...).

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #398 on: Thu, 25 October 2012, 16:20:44 »

Let's do that today then ;) I should be able to start putting headers onto the units I've got almost ready tomorrow. Then shippings can resume again. Disregarding the ones lacking headers, I've either soldered or made DIY kits of 99 of the PCBs (Soldered most of them...).
Thanks just got the pm you can leave the headers off mine if you want as i can easily solder those on but I have nothing to do SMD otherwise i would have done that too.

Offline bisl

« Reply #399 on: Thu, 25 October 2012, 17:18:02 »
Thanks just got the pm you can leave the headers off mine if you want as i can easily solder those on but I have nothing to do SMD otherwise i would have done that too.

What does SMD mean? One of the UrbanDictionary definitions says "so many dinosaurs" but it doesn't really fit the context here.