Author Topic: Does beige keycap have different desity than black keycaps? *Added Pictures*  (Read 2083 times)

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
Hi guys so I owned a Das Keyboard with MX Brown then I purchased a Beige Filco MX Red.  I noticed on the Filco the keycap feel/sound hollower if you know what I mean.  So out of curiosity I pop the keycap off to compare with the Das one and it look identical, and it should be because they're both Costar.

So I'm just wondering, does beige keycaps should sound different than black keycaps?  Or it's just how MX Red behaves compare to MX Brown?  Like with Das Brown the key feel deeper and heavier and with Filco Red it feel kind of light and hollow.

Anyone here own both the black and beige version of the same keyboard that can confirm this?

Also will a PBT keycap help making my Filco MX Red sounds deeper and heavier?  Some people like o-ring on Reds but in general I kind of dislike the feel of o-rings (tried it on my Das before).

EDIT:  Finally got some pictures, scroll down for the updated post.
« Last Edit: Thu, 27 September 2012, 08:46:00 by Hyde »

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
Re: Does Beige Keycap Have Different Desity Than Black Keycaps?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 17 September 2012, 17:34:24 »
depends on too many factors to say for sure... different board, different switch, different cap... did you try swapping all the keys between the boards?

11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline Hyde

Re: Does beige keycap have different desity than black keycaps?
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 17 September 2012, 17:51:06 »
lol too lazy but I guess I can try swapping maybe like 20 keys to test it out.  Though I'd assume Das "should" feel similar to Filco because they're both Costar but I could be wrong :P

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 17 September 2012, 18:00:12 »
The answer is yes, but not just because of the color.  Different batches of ABS will come out with slightly different densities.  Also remember reading in Matias' thread on the new switches that they switched out the colorant to differentiate between their 2 models because the colorant changed the feel of the switch.  Materials science is crazy.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline Hyde

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 17 September 2012, 19:22:30 »
I was gonna do a test but I realize I left my Das at work :(

lol so it does make a difference eh?  Damn I should've went with black Filco but I guess I'll just get PBT keycaps later >____>

LOL on a random note, does that mean people should be aware when selecting all those fancy colour keycaps from WASD Keyboards?  Or maybe I'm too sensitive, but then again if we aren't sensitive we wouldn't have gone the mechanical router lol
« Last Edit: Mon, 17 September 2012, 19:26:08 by Hyde »

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 17 September 2012, 19:27:21 »
The same switches on different keyboards feeling slightly different is not something we haven't heard of before. The razer black widow with mx blues feels a tad lighter than my filco mx blues, and many other users experience this same thing. Same thing with mx blacks, on some boards a black switch will feel even heavier than other mx black switch boards.

It's not the color that affects the feel though.

Lastly, PBT caps have feel a tad different because of the way the resonate when bottoming out or the clicks with mx blues.

Offline Hyde

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 17 September 2012, 20:53:59 »
Might sound a bit different depending on recording device but this should give you guys some idea what I'm talking about:

Beige Filco:

Black Filco:

Rosewill:

Corsair K90:

I guess Filco just sounds more hollow/lighter eh?  And damn is it me or Rosewill actually sounds super awesome, too bad their mini B connector sucks >___>

Offline jkercado

• Green XM clickclacker
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 17 September 2012, 20:58:21 »
I can comment at least with Unicomp and IBM, the blacks feel definitely different, less flexible. The beige and gray keycaps feel like there's a bit more give. I personally prefer the feel of the blacks.

Ducky 1087XM Green | Unicomp Ultra Classic Black | IBM M4 | 1989 IBM Model M | Genius i200 | Cherry G84-4100 | Microsoft Arc Keyboard

Offline Hyde

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 17 September 2012, 21:17:10 »
Damn so I guess the new rule of thumb is buy black keyboards eh.  Can anyone confirm this about Topre?  (don't have one yet but consider buying it)

Offline Hyde

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 26 September 2012, 21:58:04 »
So I finally got around to swap the keycaps between my Filco and Das, the verdict is black keycaps IS harder/sturdier and feels more solid.  However I find black keycaps looks very dirty and the shine is also more obvious.  So if you want a better typing feel get black keycap, if you want it to look better get beige keycaps.  Another weird thing is the black keycaps feels loose on my filco (mx red), and the beige keycaps feels tight on my das (mx brown).  Not sure is it because one is older or maybe mx red and mx brown has a tiny difference in thickness?  Not too sure.

4993-0

4995-1

4997-2

4999-3

5001-4

5003-5

5005-6

5007-7