Author Topic: 2013 mechanical keyboards  (Read 9139 times)

Offline KuhnTang

• Game of Thrones
2013 mechanical keyboards
« on: Thu, 06 December 2012, 16:08:43 »
I have been wanting a new keyboard ever since I got my latest one, ducky dk9087g2 pro (limited pbt white caps).  It's nice and all, love the blue switches, but its too loud to bring into the office.  And, for some reason I just have a sickness for collecting keyboards. 

Wanting to stay on the bleeding edge of mechanical keyboard technology I have been looking into keyboards that may be coming out in the near future.  So far I have seen the V2 from WASD keyboards that comes out in march of next year (looks good), but that is about it.  This time I want a top of the line keyboard.  I've looked into the Topre keyboards and like the RealForce.  Does anyone know when new models of the RealForce come out.  I like the tenkeyless. 

Point being is that I want to get an amazing keyboard that just may cure my sickness.  Does anyone know of anything on the horizon that may be able to accomplish such a task?

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: 2013 mechanical keyboards
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 06 December 2012, 16:14:42 »
heretic
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline hoggy

• * Ergonomics Moderator
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 06 December 2012, 16:31:57 »
Sorry, like us you are probably doomed to buy several.  Few of us actually escape. 
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 06 December 2012, 16:39:56 »
From what I've heard Topre might just be the answer.  Though I don't really know if there's new models coming out.  I think the 87U is probably it.  Unless you want to try HHKB.

Aside from that, there's a few keyboards that I heard are coming out this year that might be worth looking into:

Poker 2
Doubleshot PBT Keycap Deck
MKC Aluminum Keyboard

But if you just one keyboard to end all, get a Topre.  If not, try to limit yourself to 1 keyboard per switch type.  Like for example I have a MX Red and MX Brown board now, my next 2 purchase I plan to try buckling spring first then finish it with Topre.

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 06 December 2012, 16:46:14 »
From what I've heard Topre might just be the answer.  Though I don't really know if there's new models coming out.  I think the 87U is probably it.  Unless you want to try HHKB.

Aside from that, there's a few keyboards that I heard are coming out this year that might be worth looking into:

Poker 2
Doubleshot PBT Keycap Deck
MKC Aluminum Keyboard

But if you just one keyboard to end all, get a Topre.  If not, try to limit yourself to 1 keyboard per switch type.  Like for example I have a MX Red and MX Brown board now, my next 2 purchase I plan to try buckling spring first then finish it with Topre.

Spoken like a true heroin addict.  :cool:

Offline TotalChaos

• Indy Game Coder
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 07 December 2012, 05:54:50 »
This time I want a top of the line keyboard.  I've looked into the Topre keyboards and like the RealForce.
Topre keyboards do not work on PS/2 and cannot be forced into working on PS/2 so therefore, by defintion, they are not "top of the line".

Your Cherry Blue keyboard is the noisiest keyboard evar(tm).  Just get a quiet little Cherry Red, Black or Brown.
Rosewill RK-9000RE #1 (Broke on day 26, fixed with Scotch Tape on day 42, barely holding together)
Rosewill RK-9000RE #2 (Lubed, still in the box.  I am afraid to use it because it will break like the first one)

Offline iri

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 07 December 2012, 06:04:33 »
Your Cherry Blue keyboard is the noisiest keyboard evar(tm).
it seems you are too young to know which keyboard is REALLY the noisiest ever.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline Shadovved

• * Esteemed Elder
  • King of Stickers (and GBs)
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 07 December 2012, 06:07:03 »

Loudest =  BS boards

Most clicky = MS blues/greens  :cool:

Offline laffindude

• ( ̽ ¬ ˳¬)
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 07 December 2012, 06:43:52 »
I lolled @ bleeding edge mechanical keyboard technology.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 07 December 2012, 07:09:59 »
Topre is definitely top of the line, although I've never heard of any plans to update it.

Seems like you are looking for new stuff instead of things that are just nice to type on.  Probably not a good idea.

Offline TotalChaos

• Indy Game Coder
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 07 December 2012, 07:48:08 »

I was just joking(tm).

Obviously my old antique manual typwriter that I inherited when I was a kid, which was made around the 1910 to 1920 era is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay louder, also my old electric typewriter I inherited is louder too.  And my old teleprinter terminal thingamajig I inherited was louder too.  WAY louder.

But like Buckling Springs, nobody types on those things anymore.  :p

If you are typing on a BS keyboard right now, please don't kill me.  I was just joking, honest!  ;D
Rosewill RK-9000RE #1 (Broke on day 26, fixed with Scotch Tape on day 42, barely holding together)
Rosewill RK-9000RE #2 (Lubed, still in the box.  I am afraid to use it because it will break like the first one)

Offline rainb1ood

• so pretty so plastic
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 07 December 2012, 07:51:37 »
>2013 mechanical keyboards
>WASD V2 87 key with set from GMK or PBT doubleshot set from SP

Offline jkercado

• Green XM clickclacker
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 07 December 2012, 10:42:57 »
I'm a daily Unicomp user at the office as an application developer. My boss recognizes the racket it makes as the sound of productivity. :D

Ducky 1087XM Green | Unicomp Ultra Classic Black | IBM M4 | 1989 IBM Model M | Genius i200 | Cherry G84-4100 | Microsoft Arc Keyboard

Offline KuhnTang

• Game of Thrones
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 07 December 2012, 12:00:08 »
I lolled @ bleeding edge mechanical keyboard technology.

Nice to know someone can pick up on subtle humor.

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 07 December 2012, 12:36:51 »
But like Buckling Springs, nobody types on those things anymore.  :p

Hey, my daughter loves my IBM Model M keyboard!

Granted, she's 2 and also loves the Sun Type 5 keyboard because, hey, more buttons.  But whatever.

Offline nar

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 07 December 2012, 13:02:49 »
As far as I know the newest Topres are the
104U Realforces from EK, The 87U EK Edition, The 108UH HiPro (Spherical High Profile Keycaps, like a Typewriter) and the 10th Anniversary Topres (Some of them are PS/2 if you want that)

The only prototype Topre I know of is their tenkey compact keyboard that was annouced in 2010 with no news afterwards http://akiba-pc.watch.impress.co.jp/hotline/20100522/image/vrf5.html

If you want something special you're probably better off looking at the OEM versions, much more exclusive and you can find a lot of cool custom things like, Short Throw Low Profile, Custom Connectors, the Realforce used for the Counterstrike Neo arcade game etc...

Really the bleeding edge of keyboard tech right now would probably be the new Matias keyboards as they used a brand new switch that was released just this year.
« Last Edit: Fri, 07 December 2012, 13:06:07 by nar »
Keyboards: Topre HE0100 | REALFORCE 103UB & 104UB-DK | FILCO Majestouch 2 Ai Cherry MX Blue | CHERRY G84-4101SPAUS

Offline Hyde

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 07 December 2012, 13:33:39 »
Granted, she's 2 and also loves the Sun Type 5 keyboard because, hey, more buttons.  But whatever.

lol I actually hated the Sun Type 5 because of those extra buttons, keep messing me up when trying to press ctrl.

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 07 December 2012, 17:19:14 »
Point being is that I want to get an amazing keyboard that just may cure my sickness.  Does anyone know of anything on the horizon that may be able to accomplish such a task?

My experience has been that you need to try a few before you find what you want/need. It may even require some custom work and change as time goes on.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 07 December 2012, 17:49:13 »

lol I actually hated the Sun Type 5 because of those extra buttons, keep messing me up when trying to press ctrl.

Some days I'm tempted to get a converter and plug it into my PC so I can map the extra keys to something.  Though I wish it was mechanical.  It's a 5c, I believe.  It's got the more PC-standard Caps/Ctrl locations.

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #19 on: Fri, 07 December 2012, 20:12:22 »
Sorry, like us you are probably doomed to buy several.  Few of us actually escape. 

FEW? I dare you to name juste one.

LoL

@KuhnTang - There is always a risk to be a early adopter. First runs often comes with stange problems.

But hey!!!! No surprises so far with the late 2012 Matias Quiet Pro :-)

To bad Matias didn't do like the car industry and call it the Matias Quiet Pro 2013.
In memory of smallfry 1996-2013
Boards I own, click ->
More
Ducky x2 (9008G2 Pro PBT/MX Green and Mini MX Red), Matias x2 (QP and Mini QP Dampened ALPS), Topre RealForce x4 (87U 55g/Digilog case, 103U-UW & 104UG High-Profile x2), Filco Majestouch x2 (TKL MX Blue & V2 AI 104 MX Blue), IBM-M x2 (BS & RD), Unicomp-M x5 (BS black on black x2, BS Ivory x2, QT Ultra-Classic), Deck x4 (Legend MX Black & MX Clear, Hassium & Francium w/ MX Brown), DAS III (MX Blue), KBT Pure Pro 60% (MX Red), NMB-RT8256CW+ x2 (black space invader), XArmor U9BL-S (MX Brown) given for free to someone I hate, CM X2 (Trigger/MX Green + Storm TKL/NovaTouch), TVS GOLD (MX Blue) and a many many more (NMB, DELL, MS, ATT, KeyTronic, Etc...)

Offline Germiphene

« Reply #20 on: Fri, 07 December 2012, 21:25:24 »
As far as I know the newest Topres are the
104U Realforces from EK, The 87U EK Edition, The 108UH HiPro (Spherical High Profile Keycaps, like a Typewriter) and the 10th Anniversary Topres (Some of them are PS/2 if you want that)

I have one of the Elite Keyboard 87 Realforces  in the mail right now.  I'll let you know how it feels when it arrives.  I would really recommend a Topre keyboard if you're looking for something that can't be "beat."  The HHKB feels the nicest of the topres that I have, but the EK 87 key Realforce is supposed to have the same feel as a HHKB.  I'll let you know if thats the case when it arrives.
HHKB pro | RF 87U | RF 87U uni-45g | CM QFR | Steelseries 6Gv2 | Filco MT2 | IBM model M | IBM SSK '87

Offline Hyde

« Reply #21 on: Fri, 07 December 2012, 22:24:02 »
To bad Matias didn't do like the car industry and call it the Matias Quiet Pro 2013.

Razer did it with their Blackwidow 2013, Naga 2013, Deathadder 2013, and recently Orochi 2013  :P

Offline quake4mhg

2013 mechanical keyboards
« Reply #22 on: Sat, 08 December 2012, 09:30:46 »
Any news for Filco backlit?

Offline iri

« Reply #23 on: Sun, 09 December 2012, 05:11:35 »
it looks like we have a girl on geekhack... hmmmm
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline MissMurd3r84

• In IRC wondering why Kmiller8 is yelling.
« Reply #24 on: Sun, 09 December 2012, 05:15:51 »
it looks like we have a girl on geekhack... hmmmm
Sure you will find there's more than one here..  :))
KBC Poker - Red switches. Noppoo Choc Mini - Black switches. Leopold FC700R (White) - Blue switches. Ducky YOTD - Brown switches. Razer BW - Blue switches and rusted.

Offline iri

« Reply #25 on: Sun, 09 December 2012, 05:48:43 »
i refuse to believe this!

p.s. going to order quiet pro in the beginning of january when i'm in france. it's very nice to know that someone pushes keyboard technology progress forward.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #26 on: Sun, 09 December 2012, 07:51:23 »
i refuse to believe this!

p.s. going to order quiet pro in the beginning of january when i'm in france. it's very nice to know that someone pushes keyboard technology progress forward.

Dude, it's all over the tube, the quiet pro Isn't quiet.,,,

Offline iri

« Reply #27 on: Sun, 09 December 2012, 08:41:46 »
tube makes no sense in providing correct noise level feedback. and i rather want to try a completely new incarnation of cream alps than acquire a silent keyboard.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline akuJIWA

• Lock 'N Load!
« Reply #28 on: Sun, 09 December 2012, 09:16:10 »
Brown switches baby, dem brown switches.
The Cheat - B/R/B ; Clear switch with 62g springs

quit

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #29 on: Sun, 09 December 2012, 13:24:26 »
Dude, it's all over the tube, the quiet pro Isn't quiet.,,,

It's not silent. Ok - Nobody at Matias said it was. The sound test on their site is accurate. I own all the boards they've tested against and I agree.

It's not as quiet as a Topre. Since Topre is a glorified RubberDome... Not a faire comparison

But hell yes it is indeed the quietest mechanical available.
In memory of smallfry 1996-2013
Boards I own, click ->
More
Ducky x2 (9008G2 Pro PBT/MX Green and Mini MX Red), Matias x2 (QP and Mini QP Dampened ALPS), Topre RealForce x4 (87U 55g/Digilog case, 103U-UW & 104UG High-Profile x2), Filco Majestouch x2 (TKL MX Blue & V2 AI 104 MX Blue), IBM-M x2 (BS & RD), Unicomp-M x5 (BS black on black x2, BS Ivory x2, QT Ultra-Classic), Deck x4 (Legend MX Black & MX Clear, Hassium & Francium w/ MX Brown), DAS III (MX Blue), KBT Pure Pro 60% (MX Red), NMB-RT8256CW+ x2 (black space invader), XArmor U9BL-S (MX Brown) given for free to someone I hate, CM X2 (Trigger/MX Green + Storm TKL/NovaTouch), TVS GOLD (MX Blue) and a many many more (NMB, DELL, MS, ATT, KeyTronic, Etc...)

Offline iri

« Reply #30 on: Sun, 09 December 2012, 14:02:52 »
Brown switches baby, dem brown switches.
dem ain't, matey.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline Burz

• maybe get a blister on yo' little finger...
« Reply #31 on: Sun, 09 December 2012, 17:46:14 »
You want a great keyboard so I'd say get the QuietPro. It's designed to feel good without the noise.

They sold out quick though, so you would have to wait until January to get one from their next batch.
Matias Mini QuietPro  \\ Dell AT101W - Black ALPS  \\ SIIG MiniTouch x2 White XM - Monterey  \\ Colemak layout.

Offline gameaholic

« Reply #32 on: Wed, 26 December 2012, 02:07:05 »
What are the differences going to be in the poker 2?
IBM Model M SSK, Filco MJ2 Ninja TKL with Reds ergo-clears, CM Storm QFR 55g Whites, Poker II with Reds