Author Topic: QFR vs QFTK  (Read 3005 times)

Offline awakeN

QFR vs QFTK
« on: Tue, 16 April 2013, 19:48:53 »
Hi guys, I was going to buy my first mechanical keyboard tired of typing on a crappy Dell keyboard that makes me cry whenever I type on it and a low-profile laptop whose shift button decides to not work at random times, and after a week of debating and googling, I decided I settled on a Coolermaster keyboard (Polt ftw) and blue switches. I was about settled on the QFR, until an evil Amazon deal was offering the QF TK for 25% off, at $75 while the rapid was at $77. However, I don't have any experience on mechanical keyboards, and I'm wondering if there's someone out there who has bought both the QFR or the QF TK, since I want to know how they compare in terms of quality and reliance. I know the Rapid has a great reputation, although I can't find much how it compares to the TK. I found this thread on GH, but I didn't take too much out of it since it was just quick posts saying "get QFR" without any real explanation.

The amazon deal for the TK is pretty enticing, and the backlighting and the "included numpad" are sort of free wins, but I'm not sure whether or not to buy the Rapid or the TK. They're both virtually the same price, but the Rapid has been out for longer and has a better reputation.

I can't really make this decision myself, so I hope you guys will influence me to one keyboard.
« Last Edit: Tue, 16 April 2013, 20:14:21 by awakeN »

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
Re: QFR vs QFTK
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 16 April 2013, 20:12:40 »
I don't own either of them, but I would probably get the TK if I could only buy a CM as it looses nothing and is almost as compact as a tenkeyless. If I was no longer limited to only a CM I would get the Plum 96 which is very similar but dosen't have an odd sized spacebar. Being able to replace the keycaps is something that I find very important so anything with what is essentially a proprietary size is out.

Offline mrboli

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 16 April 2013, 20:13:30 »
I believe the TK is just an older model, but nothing wrong with it really.

It has LED backlighting also and more button options!

I would get the TK if I were you :)

Just make sure you get the right switch, go to a local store, try out some keyboards, type on them for a while.
KBD67 Zealios V2 65g | HHKB Pro 2 | Filco TKL MX Black | Razer BlackWidow

Offline bazemk1979

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 16 April 2013, 20:17:16 »
I would say go with the Quickfire, Costar quality after all, left you pm
Quote from: IvanIvanovich on Wed, 08 January 2014, 18:02:50

When you bottom out dong cap... is it going balls deep?

Offline Jagriff

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 16 April 2013, 20:24:01 »
I don't own either of them, but I would probably get the TK if I could only buy a CM as it looses nothing and is almost as compact as a tenkeyless. If I was no longer limited to only a CM I would get the Plum 96 which is very similar but dosen't have an odd sized spacebar. Being able to replace the keycaps is something that I find very important so anything with what is essentially a proprietary size is out.
Don't CM keyboards have normal spacebars?

http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/keycap-compatibility

Offline missalaire

• Great Finder of Great Finds
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 16 April 2013, 20:28:13 »
Which TK are you getting? Because if you're getting the TK w/ Blues, Newegg has it for $65.

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=42405.0

Don't CM keyboards have normal spacebars?

http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/keycap-compatibility

The Quickfire TK has odd sizing on the space bar.
Ducky DK9008S2 Blue LED | Ducky DK2108S OMG | Ducky DK9008S2 White LED | Ducky YOTD | CM QuickFire TK LE | Filco MJ2 TKL custom | Trik Alu Skin Custom

Mechanical keyboards are primarily vessels for novelty keycaps...
Please do NOT PM me regarding finding deals for specific products, I do not take personal requests!

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 16 April 2013, 20:30:22 »
Only the Rapid has more typical 6.25. TK has 6.5 and the Pro had a 6 units.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 16 April 2013, 20:33:40 »
I believe the TK is just an older model, but nothing wrong with it really.

It has LED backlighting also and more button options!

I would get the TK if I were you :)

Just make sure you get the right switch, go to a local store, try out some keyboards, type on them for a while.

The TK is actually newer than the QFR

QFR would still be my pick, to be honest, because of the ease of cap swaps.  Though, a MY-whateverwhatever (1800?) would have almost all of the right stuff (right shift, a couple mods) to swap a QFTK to thick cherry abs goodness.

Offline awakeN

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 16 April 2013, 20:35:50 »
I would say go with the Quickfire, Costar quality after all, left you pm

Ehh... considering this is my first mechanical keyboard, am I really going to notice a difference between the costar and the cherry? I mean, I've never felt either at all.

Which TK are you getting? Because if you're getting the TK w/ Blues, Newegg has it for $65.

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=42405.0

ah, thanks a lot for that link.

I don't think it'll really matter to me in the long run, thuogh.

QFR would still be my pick, to be honest, because of the ease of cap swaps.  Though, a MY-whateverwhatever (1800?) would have almost all of the right stuff (right shift, a couple mods) to swap a QFTK to thick cherry abs goodness.

Eh, I'm on a tight budget (<$80) and I'll probably end up trying to go and save as much as I can. Although I hate all the branding on the QFR blues compared to the TK :C
« Last Edit: Tue, 16 April 2013, 20:37:44 by awakeN »

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 16 April 2013, 20:37:34 »
Don't mind the old product pictures, none of them have 17 logos anymore, just 1 on the back side.

Offline awakeN

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 16 April 2013, 20:38:48 »
Don't mind the old product pictures, none of them have 17 logos anymore.

Well that sure as hell might change things. Do the QFR blues still have the gray body, though? I personally think it looks ugly that way. I'm beginning to lean towards the QFR now, although the TK deal on newegg is really nice...

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 16 April 2013, 20:41:05 »
Yes they still have the gunmetal case body. You can always vinyl wrap, paint it or get a black replacement from CM store or if yo want to get spendy an aluminum case for it later on.

Offline awakeN

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 16 April 2013, 20:44:16 »
Yes they still have the gunmetal case body. You can always vinyl wrap, paint it or get a black replacement from CM store or if yo want to get spendy an aluminum case for it later on.

One day I need to grow the balls to be able to do all that DIY solutions :(

I still might end up buying the TK for the price. Still haven't completely given up on the choice of the rapid, since that appears to be the choice of more experienced mechanical keyboardists.

Offline Jagriff

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 16 April 2013, 20:47:55 »
QFR would be my choice too. I don't find much benefit in the number pad or backlighting.

Offline awakeN

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 16 April 2013, 20:54:42 »
QFR would be my choice too. I don't find much benefit in the number pad or backlighting.

The thing is I can find a TK that's $10 cheaper than the QFR, I'm just asking if there's anything the QFTK doesn't have that the QFR has (besides the stabilizers)
« Last Edit: Tue, 16 April 2013, 21:13:18 by awakeN »

Offline Jagriff

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 16 April 2013, 21:24:47 »

The thing is I can find a TK that's $10 cheaper than the QFR, I'm just asking if there's anything the QFTK doesn't have that the QFR has (besides the stabilizers)
Well you've heard it all here. The two keyboards look different (in size and color). The QFR has costar stabilizers and the QFTK isn't compatible with most keycap sets. If you don't care about any of those things, then get the QFTK for a bit cheaper.

Offline awakeN

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 16 April 2013, 21:25:49 »

Well you've heard it all here. The two keyboards look different (in size and color). The QFR has costar stabilizers and the QFTK isn't compatible with most keycap sets. If you don't care about any of those things, then get the QFTK for a bit cheaper.

oh, that's it? Well then, time to buy myself a QFTK :')

oh how i love sales

Offline zippox

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 16 April 2013, 21:26:11 »

I'm actually looking for a set of PBT keycaps for the TK. Will I not be able to find a keycap set that fits?  -- So all in all every key fits besides the space bar, is that correct?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 16 April 2013, 21:42:09 »

I'm actually looking for a set of PBT keycaps for the TK. Will I not be able to find a keycap set that fits?  -- So all in all every key fits besides the space bar, is that correct?

wo.. i didn't even notice the space bar was diff sized.

Offline missalaire

• Great Finder of Great Finds
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 16 April 2013, 22:05:07 »

The whole bottom row is kind of sized oddly. You could replace some, but not all of the caps on the bottom because it won't all fit.
Ducky DK9008S2 Blue LED | Ducky DK2108S OMG | Ducky DK9008S2 White LED | Ducky YOTD | CM QuickFire TK LE | Filco MJ2 TKL custom | Trik Alu Skin Custom

Mechanical keyboards are primarily vessels for novelty keycaps...
Please do NOT PM me regarding finding deals for specific products, I do not take personal requests!

Offline zippox

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 16 April 2013, 22:07:18 »

The whole bottom row is kind of sized oddly. You could replace some, but not all of the caps on the bottom because it won't all fit.

I noticed on a different post (after a google search) that you said something about the fn and windows key not fitting either.

If you still have the Ducky YOTD PBT keycaps on your TK could you take a picture so I can see if it looks alright? From the get-go I was planning on getting PBT keycaps so this news is a little unfortunate.