Author Topic: CM Storm Clear Switches CONFIRMED  (Read 10152 times)

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
    • My Youtube channel with some keyboard videos
Re: CM Storm Clear Switches CONFIRMED
« Reply #50 on: Thu, 02 May 2013, 00:45:51 »
What a coincidence:

Confirmed: WASD v2 just announced they will not have phantom plate but will have Cherry MX Clears but no certain release date. It's going to be called The CODE and it'll have it's own website dedicated for it.

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=43077.new#new

It is really funny that this happens right after we were discussing this :P Not only did they announce a Cherry MX Clear keyboard but they also announce no Phantom-like plate :)) This kind of strengthens my point in that even a company like WASDkeyboards who are willing and trying to install a phantom-like plate into their keyboards, things just don't work out sometimes. Could be cost issues, technical issues, or just business decision (loss of future sales to a customer who has already bought one from them). I personally wouldn't buy another of the same keyboard from them if I had already bought one WASD v2 with a phantom-like plate. I'd just buy the extra switches of my taste and install them.
« Last Edit: Thu, 02 May 2013, 01:15:44 by VesperSAINT »

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #51 on: Thu, 02 May 2013, 03:08:06 »
It is really funny that this happens right after we were discussing this :P Not only did they announce a Cherry MX Clear keyboard but they also announce no Phantom-like plate :))

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #52 on: Thu, 02 May 2013, 03:39:55 »

Offline F u r u y á

« Reply #53 on: Thu, 02 May 2013, 09:00:35 »
Cherry G80-3000LQCDE, the black one has POM keycaps as well.
Ducky Shine II w/ Clears:

http://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=296

So by the looks of it a new keyboard with MX Clear for about $50 doesn't exist. I'd be happy if someone proved me wrong though.
Filco 91 | Filco 87* | Filco 105 | PLU 87 | PLU 87 | Cherry 120 | Cherry 120

Offline missalaire

• Great Finder of Great Finds
« Reply #54 on: Thu, 02 May 2013, 10:46:11 »

So by the looks of it a new keyboard with MX Clear for about $50 doesn't exist. I'd be happy if someone proved me wrong though.

Highly unlikely. $50 is really low for a new board with one of the rarer switches.
Ducky DK9008S2 Blue LED | Ducky DK2108S OMG | Ducky DK9008S2 White LED | Ducky YOTD | CM QuickFire TK LE | Filco MJ2 TKL custom | Trik Alu Skin Custom

Mechanical keyboards are primarily vessels for novelty keycaps...
Please do NOT PM me regarding finding deals for specific products, I do not take personal requests!

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #55 on: Thu, 02 May 2013, 10:48:12 »
It's nigh impossible to get enough Clear switches for a keyboard for $50, not including all of the other components. I know mass production and purchasing allows them to get a lower price (how much lower, I couldn't tell you), but they still have to turn a profit.

Offline CM-Rajiv

• CM Storm Rep
  • * Commercial Vendor
« Reply #56 on: Thu, 02 May 2013, 11:19:12 »
Yes guys, businesses do need to turn a profit or people like me are out of a job ><

Cooler Master USA - CM Storm Marketing Team - [CM Storm Trigger CherryMX Green Switch]

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #57 on: Thu, 02 May 2013, 11:29:54 »
Yes guys, businesses do need to turn a profit or people like me are out of a job ><

LOLOLOL...  you can turn a profit selling at $50....

But it's not about turning " a " profit,  it's about turning " the most " profit, isn't that righ...  :))

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #58 on: Thu, 02 May 2013, 11:55:59 »

Brand new G80-3000LQCDE is sold for ~52 EUR (w/ two-year warranty, of course) in Germany. You can't get much cheaper without sacrificing quality.

Offline F u r u y á

« Reply #59 on: Thu, 02 May 2013, 13:43:42 »
I just want the switches. I'm asking because buying 90 MX Clear from 7bit will cost $60 shipped (too expensive in my opinion, considering it's only the switches!), so if exists a keyboard in that price range it'd be cool to get the switches plus something else :)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #60 on: Thu, 02 May 2013, 14:23:57 »
I just want the switches. I'm asking because buying 90 MX Clear from 7bit will cost $60 shipped (too expensive in my opinion, considering it's only the switches!), so if exists a keyboard in that price range it'd be cool to get the switches plus something else :)

That's why they're going to sell you a tkl for $100 :D

Offline Tarzan

• formerly known as Greystoke
  • * Maker
« Reply #61 on: Thu, 02 May 2013, 14:30:45 »

But it's not about turning " a " profit,  it's about turning " the most " profit, isn't that righ...  :))

You're missing the point, deliberately or not I can't tell.  Price all the components that go into a keyboard.  Price the labor, too.  Estimate the investment in industrial machinery, if you want to.  Factor in leasing business space, shipping costs, marketing, support, etcetera, etcetera.

Now tell me how low are your costs to make that $50 keyboard, and what's your assumed profit margin.

The only reason you see cheaper prices here on the forum for custom keyboards is because people scrounge used parts, get old keyboards out of the trash, use their school's equipment, and do it as a hobby.  Even so, there's at least one thread I read recently where the guy sent about $800 building his dream keyboard, and even that wasn't a full accounting.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #62 on: Thu, 02 May 2013, 14:37:16 »

You're missing the point, deliberately or not I can't tell.  Price all the components that go into a keyboard.  Price the labor, too.  Estimate the investment in industrial machinery, if you want to.  Factor in leasing business space, shipping costs, marketing, support, etcetera, etcetera.

Now tell me how low are your costs to make that $50 keyboard, and what's your assumed profit margin.

The only reason you see cheaper prices here on the forum for custom keyboards is because people scrounge used parts, get old keyboards out of the trash, use their school's equipment, and do it as a hobby.  Even so, there's at least one thread I read recently where the guy sent about $800 building his dream keyboard, and even that wasn't a full accounting.

well..... lets look at it.. amazon..CM sells to them.. then amazon to us.

Amazon can sell a tkl blue for $64 w/ a profit

So CM must be selling for less than $64 to Amazon.. $64 is already pretty close to $50..

we can't go any further without CM telling us exactly what they're making per board, they've been open, but not "that" open..

But let's just put it this way,, the DOLLAR is still pretty strong, while the Yuan is artificially kept low...

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #63 on: Thu, 02 May 2013, 16:03:57 »

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221216495944?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

It's pretty close to $50 but I honestly wouldn't get it.

My point proven by another company rep :P Not saying there's anything wrong with it, just saying it for what it is :)

Brand new G80-3000LQCDE is sold for ~52 EUR (w/ two-year warranty, of course) in Germany. You can't get much cheaper without sacrificing quality.

After shipping, that's still a lot over $50 but not a bad keyboard, at all :)

I'd just buy those switches, tbh.

Offline F u r u y á

« Reply #64 on: Thu, 02 May 2013, 22:44:54 »
Thanks! It's a good find that one, but unfortunately it doesn't have the minimum 87 switches that I want.
Yeah, I think I'll have to just buy the switches.

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #65 on: Thu, 02 May 2013, 23:10:19 »
WHAT would be nice, is easy swap plates... Putting the 4 little notches into the plate holes, so we can have a CHOICE of ergo clears should we choose. :D

I mean.. they can hold off on full programmability for the Anniversary edition.. but you gotta give people the option of easy access switch slots for MX clear, you just gotta

I'm not directly this specifically at you, but for everyone that suggested for CM or WASDkeyboards to put in these custom plates.

Looking at it from CM's perspective, this is actually a terrible idea. Sure, it benefits some of us here on GH that like to mod things, but we are an extremely small percentage of everyone. I will even wager that even within a keyboard enthusiast community, most people still keep their switches stock (no mods). Now if you give the public the ability to easily open up their switches, CM will see a lot more RMAs. All it takes it 1 bad switch, and it's a good enough reason to request for RMA of whole keyboard. To lube your keyboard, swap springs, stems, or add stickers, all the keys has to be done.  What are the chances that a newb will make zero mistakes doing it their first time on all 87 keys?

Offline F u r u y á

« Reply #66 on: Thu, 02 May 2013, 23:16:47 »
But that's what that "DO NOT REMOVE" sticker is for, isn't it? If the user opens the keyboard it'd void the warranty (I'm assuming that there other ways for the manufacturer to reliably verify if a keyboard was opened besides that cheap sticker).

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #67 on: Thu, 02 May 2013, 23:27:13 »
But that's what that "DO NOT REMOVE" sticker is for, isn't it? If the user opens the keyboard it'd void the warranty (I'm assuming that there other ways for the manufacturer to reliably verify if a keyboard was opened besides that cheap sticker).

Hm.... no.. what wfd is talking about is people opening the switch, screwing up, and points finger at CM and returns the keyboard...

THIS may happen, but I believe what your analysis is incorrect.

You mentioned a VERY SMALL PERCENTAGE of people would be opening their boards.. if it's a very small percentage, then what is CM worried about. and there'd be a smaller subset of truly "dishonest" people who'd try to scam CM

and I really think you overestimate how incompetent the average user is..  Opening the top of the key switch requires Forks and Spoons Mastery level 1...  Chopsticks + 1 would help but not necessary.

In fact.. I've done it with the use of 2 forks.

Offline F u r u y á

« Reply #68 on: Thu, 02 May 2013, 23:43:08 »
All I'm saying is that if I was a manufacturer and someone sends me a keyboard for RMA that was clearly opened, modified and ultimately damaged, I would never fulfill the RMA. As I said, it voids the warranty.

By the way it was WFD (not me) who said that about the percentage of people.

Offline ACallander

• Portfolio
« Reply #69 on: Thu, 02 May 2013, 23:43:20 »
Oooo! Might have to check up on this! Never tried clears.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #70 on: Thu, 02 May 2013, 23:52:26 »

but no ergo clears. you'd have to desolder all of them.... and given that it's a budget base board.. you do not want to be modding all 87 switches..

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #71 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 00:13:24 »

but no ergo clears. you'd have to desolder all of them.... and given that it's a budget base board.. you do not want to be modding all 87 switches..

Eh, for the price it might be worth it.  It was a lot of work, but I converted a cheap RK-9000 to clears and may desolder, mod, and resolder it again since I'm not 100% happy with the lube and spring weight.  It would also give me a chance to mod the plate.

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #72 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 00:23:45 »
You mentioned a VERY SMALL PERCENTAGE of people would be opening their boards.. if it's a very small percentage, then what is CM worried about. and there'd be a smaller subset of truly "dishonest" people who'd try to scam CM

Currently, No mass-produced boards with plates has the option to open up switches. But I'm sure if CM put this option in, and marketed it on their boards, consumers will be curious enough to open one up. Once the switch is opened, there could be so many things that could go wrong. You can lose any one of the small pieces, or accidentally bend the metal leaf sticking up. Again, all it takes is 1 mistake from 1 switch, and it will be RMAed.

Are you totally oblivious to how many dishonest people there are in this world? How many people would eat a $100 loss knowing they could easily return it to the store or RMA?

and I really think you overestimate how incompetent the average user is..  Opening the top of the key switch requires Forks and Spoons Mastery level 1...  Chopsticks + 1 would help but not necessary.

Yes, I implied the average person is not competent enough to do a full mod like this. It's not just opening up the switch, because that's rather easy. It's what you do afterwards, which is a semi-delicate process. If I were a company, I would not trust end users to do something like this. The amount of risk and problem that might arise outweighs the benefit from extra sales they would get. I've gotten plenty of boards to fix from people that screw up modding theirs.

Btw, if you're going to use a fork to open up the switch, then only takes 1 fork, not 2. Maybe you fall under the statistics I just mentioned haha.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #73 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 00:41:55 »

Currently, No mass-produced boards with plates has the option to open up switches. But I'm sure if CM put this option in, and marketed it on their boards, consumers will be curious enough to open one up. Once the switch is opened, there could be so many things that could go wrong. You can lose any one of the small pieces, or accidentally bend the metal leaf sticking up. Again, all it takes is 1 mistake from 1 switch, and it will be RMAed.

Are you totally oblivious to how many dishonest people there are in this world? How many people would eat a $100 loss knowing they could easily return it to the store or RMA?

Yes, I implied the average person is not competent enough to do a full mod like this. It's not just opening up the switch, because that's rather easy. It's what you do afterwards, which is a semi-delicate process. If I were a company, I would not trust end users to do something like this. The amount of risk and problem that might arise outweighs the benefit from extra sales they would get. I've gotten plenty of boards to fix from people that screw up modding theirs.

Btw, if you're going to use a fork to open up the switch, then only takes 1 fork, not 2. Maybe you fall under the statistics I just mentioned haha.

I used both fork from both sides, cuz it was still soldered. that's the accepted technique.

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #74 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 00:45:42 »

Make total sense, but what about older cherry boards that were all PCB mount or a poker? I don't think you could RMA for trying to mod on those.
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #75 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 00:51:38 »
If you open the switch, it's not completely evidence proof. I still think they make enough profits to cover this.

Offline Turbo Slaab

« Reply #76 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 01:15:51 »
How does KCB do it with the poker?
Looking for CC's!

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #77 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 01:17:09 »

I don't think they do, probably just write off. but i haven't actually heard kbc doing rma in the US.. do they?

Offline Turbo Slaab

« Reply #78 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 01:19:39 »

I don't think they do, probably just write off. but i haven't actually heard kbc doing rma in the US.. do they?

Wasdkeyboards probably handles is in the US I would think.
Looking for CC's!

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #79 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 02:24:59 »
What the Beast said, Cherry have been making their keyboards without any plate for ages—probably without any issues.

Speaking of "do not remove" stickers... these are fortunately invalid in Europe, so d-bags in Razer can go !@#$ themselves with weird stuff like "removing keycaps voids warranty".