Author Topic: HDTV Gaming Lag  (Read 3388 times)

Offline abdulmuhsee

HDTV Gaming Lag
« on: Wed, 10 September 2014, 18:42:28 »
So I'm looking for a new computer monitor with the only important specification being that the monitor w/ stand is no more than 4-1/2" thick, but I can't even find a replacement VESA mount that sits atop a desk and fits into that depth restriction.

One solution is to use an HDTV as a monitor, since they typically have much narrower stands.  However, wouldn't the post-processing of the HDTV completely ruin gaming?  Would using the VGA port instead of the HDMI solve anything?
« Last Edit: Wed, 10 September 2014, 19:21:43 by abdulmuhsee »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: HDTV Gaming Lag
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 10 September 2014, 20:25:08 »
Post lag, depends on the TV, some have "gaming modes"

but the computer gaming monitors are usually still faster because they're designed more specifically for video games..

the PG278q is the one to look out for and get..

Offline Latin00032

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 10 September 2014, 20:28:52 »
Yea. PG278Q is what I've been on the hunt for. I can't find it, yet.

You want to have an nvidia card to get the most out of it.

I did get lucky and bought a 42 inch Sharp hdtv that actually had almost zero input lag. Still have it. LC-42D64U
« Last Edit: Wed, 10 September 2014, 20:35:05 by Latin00032 »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 10 September 2014, 20:32:11 »

I did get lucky and bought a 46 inch Sharp hdtv that actually had almost zero input lag. Still have it.

Hi Latin..

Gsync is pretty damn useless, trust me..  once you try ulmb,  you will NOT want to go down to 50hz where Gsync makes a difference.

with 25x14, you're looking at dual 780ti to get solid 100fps performance with AA cranked up.

and game optimization has been getting worse.. .not better.

Offline Latin00032

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 10 September 2014, 20:33:55 »
I thought the monitor supports ulmb even though not at the same time as gsync?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 10 September 2014, 20:35:50 »
I thought the monitor supports ulmb even though not at the same time as gsync?

Yes, it supports both,  but my point is..  you should support AMD by buying their GFX-cards..  because they're the only company that will stav' off the tyrannical INTEL.

Also, 290.290x are funner cards, because they run so hot, that you need to water mod them with AIO coolers..

^^ some people think that's a hassle, I consider it fun..

Offline missalaire

• Great Finder of Great Finds
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 10 September 2014, 20:50:14 »

I did get lucky and bought a 42 inch Sharp hdtv that actually had almost zero input lag. Still have it. LC-42D64U

Newegg has it on backorder: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236405

A lot of people who have bought one have been complaining about issues though...

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1800408
Ducky DK9008S2 Blue LED | Ducky DK2108S OMG | Ducky DK9008S2 White LED | Ducky YOTD | CM QuickFire TK LE | Filco MJ2 TKL custom | Trik Alu Skin Custom

Mechanical keyboards are primarily vessels for novelty keycaps...
Please do NOT PM me regarding finding deals for specific products, I do not take personal requests!

Offline abdulmuhsee

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 10 September 2014, 20:54:39 »

but the computer gaming monitors are usually still faster because they're designed more specifically for video games..

Show Image

Would using the VGA port on an HDTV eliminate the post-processing, or do they upscale and post-process VGA as well?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 10 September 2014, 21:02:10 »

Show Image

Would using the VGA port on an HDTV eliminate the post-processing, or do they upscale and post-process VGA as well?

VGA has to go from analogue to digital..   so there's that...   it's not so much of a problem TODAY, but,  there's no guarantee they won't tac' additional post processing after the conversion..

Input lag isn't actually a HUGE issue for most games, the delay for Online-game simulation sync can be as bad as 2-3 seconds,  so... order of magnitude higher than input lag...

Input lag is only a problem for tight-timing single player games like Tekken, streefigtr, blzblu, guiltger

when it comes to games like Online FPSes, MMO, Starcraft,,  the Inputlag, latency, pixel response, are all just FLUFFY marketing for the uninformed gamer...

---- ^^ they have NO impact on gameplay performance...  as in, if you're good at the game, you'll be just as good with or without the FLUFF..

ULMB is separate from the fluff though,, that **** is LEGIT AWESOME...

If you're out to get a gaming monitor TODAY,,   u MUST get ULMB 

Offline Latin00032

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 10 September 2014, 21:05:58 »

Show Image

VGA has to go from analogue to digital..   so there's that...   it's not so much of a problem TODAY, but,  there's no guarantee they won't tac' additional post processing after the conversion..

Input lag isn't actually a HUGE issue for most games, the delay for Online-game simulation sync can be as bad as 2-3 seconds,  so... order of magnitude higher than input lag...

Input lag is only a problem for tight-timing single player games like Tekken, streefigtr, blzblu, guiltger

when it comes to games like Online FPSes, MMO, Starcraft,,  the Inputlag, latency, pixel response, are all just FLUFFY marketing for the uninformed gamer...

---- ^^ they have NO impact on gameplay performance...  as in, if you're good at the game, you'll be just as good with or without the FLUFF..

Show Image

I looked up ulmb. There is some videos. It looks like it can smooth stuff out allot.

But, gsync does the same thing. Just, not at the same time. :(

Maybe I should wait to get the kinks out.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 10 September 2014, 21:08:54 »

Show Image

Show Image

I looked up ulmb. There is some videos. It looks like it can smooth stuff out allot.

ulmb  has to do with pixel transitional motion blur

Gsync has to do with vertical tearing

BOTH are aspects of perceived smoothness..

ULMB is however the more important of the 2 IMHO, because it approximates on an LCD how a CRT works.. 

Offline Latin00032

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 10 September 2014, 21:23:49 »

Show Image

Show Image

ULMB is however the more important of the 2 IMHO, because it approximates on an LCD how a CRT works.. 
Show Image

Ok. I see.

I'll wait for more reviews to come in before I buy.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 10 September 2014, 21:27:45 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Ok. I see.

I'll wait for more reviews to come in before I buy.

It's one of those must see fur urself  type situations...  Buy one from amazon, if you don't like it, tell them exactly why, and pay the return shipping. .

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 11 September 2014, 09:00:23 »
I recommend gaming on a CRT.

Sony GDM-FW900 is the one to get.

In fact if you have good AC, just use CRT all the time for everything. I haven't yet seen a flat display that comes close.

Offline Latin00032

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 11 September 2014, 09:03:20 »

In fact if you have good AC, just use CRT all the time for everything. I haven't yet seen a flat display that comes close.
Tp4tissue can comment on that monitor. What do you think, tp4?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 11 September 2014, 09:10:27 »

Tp4tissue can comment on that monitor. What do you think, tp4?

THat is indeed the truth ...  Old world technology has a very Earnest feel vs the lifeless digital cascade..

Offline abdulmuhsee

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 11 September 2014, 16:59:57 »
I only wish I had room for an old CRT on my desk instead of having to comb the depths of the internet for an HDTV with minimal input lag.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 11 September 2014, 19:06:18 »
Most HDTVs will have upwards of 100ms lag, as they're held to basically no standard.

My monitor has 2ms delay

just get a nice monitor, you'll thank yourself later
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 11 September 2014, 19:07:43 »
I only wish I had room for an old CRT on my desk instead of having to comb the depths of the internet for an HDTV with minimal input lag.

Can you not find those at e-cyclers?
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards