Author Topic: My dads birthdays coming up and I want to get him an IBM model m.  (Read 1636 times)

Offline 222lu222

So yeah the title says it all,guys I am looking for an IBM model m keyboard for my dad, his birthday is coming up and he has always said his IBM was his favorite keyboard of all time, he still works and he works with his computer all day and I wanted to get him a model m. Can I have some help like for example is this a good deal?http://www.ebay.com/itm/IBM-Model-M-Vintage-Clicky-Keyboard-P-N-1392595-w-RJ45-Connector-/271220957108?pt=PCA_Mice_Trackballs&hash=item3f26075fb4

Offline PointyFox

Re: My dads birthdays coming up and I want to get him an IBM model m.
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 10 June 2013, 20:00:47 »
It has an RJ45 connector.  I'm not sure if there's an easy way to hook that up to a PS/2 or USB.  Sometimes it's impossible.

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 10 June 2013, 22:29:29 »
That looks like a specialized Point of Sale keyboard, intended to be used with a terminal of some sort. The giveaway is the lack of caps lock, etc. lights in the upper right.

You want to find one that has a PS2 connector, and depending on the age of his computer, you'll also probably need to get an active PS2 to USB adapter, like http://www.amazon.com/PS2-Keyboard-To-USB-Adapter/dp/B000BSJFJS.

Not sure what your budget is, but you should be able to get a VERY nice refurbished one for anywhere from $75-$100. You might also consider a new Unicomp buckling spring keyboard, which will have almost the same feel.

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 10 June 2013, 22:42:17 »
The usual price for an average one is $35-$45 on eBay.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 10 June 2013, 22:44:28 »
how old is your dad.

I wouldn't get a vintage model m unless he's a collector type personality.

If he's more about practicality, a new unicomp would give you less potential problems, and they off the cool one with the trackball

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 10 June 2013, 23:14:05 »
I just got my dad a Model M and he loves it.

Thanks again Moosey!

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 11 June 2013, 00:21:02 »
how old is your dad.

I wouldn't get a vintage model m unless he's a collector type personality.

If he's more about practicality, a new unicomp would give you less potential problems, and they off the cool one with the trackball

^  This

http://pckeyboard.com/page/category/UltraClassic

Yeah I'd just get him one of those really.  IBM sold their factory to Unicomp so it's essentially the same thing really.
« Last Edit: Tue, 11 June 2013, 00:23:18 by Hyde »

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline Endzone

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 11 June 2013, 18:39:03 »
Back in 2001 you could buy these for $15 each on Ebay or sometimes 10 for $100.  They have really gone up in price.  Have you thought about a classic unicomp?  Do you really want to give your dad a used piece of gear for his birthday not knowing exactly what you're going to get? 

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 11 June 2013, 18:47:00 »
Back in 2001 you could buy these for $15 each on Ebay or sometimes 10 for $100.  They have really gone up in price.  Have you thought about a classic unicomp?  Do you really want to give your dad a used piece of gear for his birthday not knowing exactly what you're going to get? 

They weren't popular then.  Just old clunky keyboards.  They're old enough now to be nostalgic.  Just wait, huge cell phones are going to make a comeback.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 11 June 2013, 19:13:52 »

Just wait, huge cell phones are going to make a comeback.

Almost every day I regret giving up my Nokia 3390.

It wasn't huge, but it texted, a battery charge could last up to a week, and the monochrome screen was always on - no such thing as a screen saver was needed - and it could take almost any form of abuse including being dropped on concrete or being left outside in the rain.

PS - and you did not have to spend a lot extra for hands-free devices for it
« Last Edit: Wed, 12 June 2013, 08:30:54 by fohat.digs »
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 12 June 2013, 00:07:14 »

Just wait, huge cell phones are going to make a comeback.

Almost every day I regret giving up my Nokia 3390.

It wasn't huge, but it texted, a battery charge could last up to a week, and the monochrome screen was always on - no such thing as a screen saver was needed - and it could take almost any form of abuse including being dropped on concrete or being left outside in the rain.