Author Topic: Best pots  (Read 1639 times)

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
Best pots
« on: Thu, 24 November 2022, 12:40:07 »
I'm after a really good quality pots and pans set.
Don't want teflon etc, so started reading about materials and so far found that best and affordable would be ceramic coated, is that correct?

What kind of pot and pans do you guys use and what would you recommend, materials and brand wise.
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: Best pots
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 24 November 2022, 13:26:31 »
Ceramic is ok when new, overtime it loses most of its non-stick ability,

Nothing comes close to the non-stick-ness of teflon.

The other option is steel wok,  the way that works is, you let the carbon burn on, develop with the oil, and it creates a <non stick> blackened layer, you're not supposed to ever wash it with soap, only a wipe with some water.  Not really sure how healthy this actually is.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 24 November 2022, 15:55:36 »
Most of my favorites are high-end stainless steel (aka inox) but they really need something like a thick copper layer in the bottom to really spread and hold heat properly.

I also have quite a bit of vintage PYREX and CorningWare that is great to use.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 24 November 2022, 16:21:31 »
I'm a fan of cast-iron pans for frying and deep pots for stews. There are varieties that have cast iron only on the inside so they don't weigh a ton.
I prefer stainless pots for boiling and steaming.

In either case, scratches are not much of an issue. The surface of cast iron can be restored.
If you scratch teflon, someone probably got to ingest it, and the pan is ruined.
« Last Edit: Thu, 24 November 2022, 16:23:16 by Findecanor »

Offline phinix

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 25 November 2022, 05:05:00 »
Ceramic is ok when new, overtime it loses most of its non-stick ability,

Nothing comes close to the non-stick-ness of teflon.

The other option is steel wok,  the way that works is, you let the carbon burn on, develop with the oil, and it creates a <non stick> blackened layer, you're not supposed to ever wash it with soap, only a wipe with some water.  Not really sure how healthy this actually is.

I was looking into it and was also wondering how hygienic it is...
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline phinix

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 25 November 2022, 05:05:43 »
I'm a fan of cast-iron pans for frying and deep pots for stews. There are varieties that have cast iron only on the inside so they don't weigh a ton.
I prefer stainless pots for boiling and steaming.

In either case, scratches are not much of an issue. The surface of cast iron can be restored.
If you scratch teflon, someone probably got to ingest it, and the pan is ruined.

Yeah, I noticed all my teflon pans are scratched and we must have eaten those microscopic bits...

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 25 November 2022, 05:17:06 »
Stainless steel copper bottoms

Offline phinix

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 25 November 2022, 06:43:33 »

Is it non-sticky?

Offline yui

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 25 November 2022, 08:24:16 »

Is it non-sticky?
with enough heat, yeah, everything is :) the main draw to stainless is that it is pretty much indestructible
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 25 November 2022, 09:03:16 »

Is it non-sticky?

I would recommend one good non-stick skillet for particularly delicate foodstuffs and conventional cookware for the rest. I have never had a non-stick utensil keep its mojo for more than a year or 2, while conventional gear lasts pretty much indefinitely, with failures being almost always related to handles.

Good quality stainless (inox) is easy to clean, and I make an effort to soak pots and pans with water for a while which makes cleaning dramatically easier. And an overnight soak will soften almost anything.

"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline iri

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 29 November 2022, 08:34:20 »
I'm after a really good quality pots and pans set.
Don't want teflon etc, so started reading about materials and so far found that best and affordable would be ceramic coated, is that correct?

What kind of pot and pans do you guys use and what would you recommend, materials and brand wise.
Le Creuset of course.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury