Author Topic: Is it worth getting a trackball?  (Read 7045 times)

Offline IntrospectiveBeet

Is it worth getting a trackball?
« on: Thu, 27 February 2020, 15:16:12 »
i've never really cared about ergonomics, but recently i've been having some wrist pains, and i suspect it's some sort of rsi. Instead of using a mouse, a friend recommended for me to get a trackball. Are they worth it?, How is aiming with them?

Offline nevin

Re: Is it worth getting a trackball?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 27 February 2020, 15:45:41 »
a trackball was the only thing i used when i used to play unreal tournament (i know dating myself...)
trackball are good for most things, they are exceptional in small spaces where you have no room to move a mouse around. kensington has had some really good ones for a long time. some mice have trackballs too, and some are tilted to the side "ergo"-ish.

do a bunch of research, watch reviews, etc... and try one out.
Keeb.io Viterbi, Apple m0110, Apple m0120, Apple m0110a, Apple 658-4081, Apple M1242, Apple AEK II, MK96, GH60/Pure, Cherry g84-4100, Adesso AKP-220B, Magicforce 68

Offline rebus

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 28 February 2020, 02:55:44 »
I got one when I began suffering with my elbow, and the pain went away. It takes a little to conquer the same precision you had on the mouse (and if you need to draw, the mouse still wins, but then you need a graphics tablet if you must draw seriously), but I would never come back again.

Offline cat_barista

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 28 February 2020, 18:39:48 »
Honestly, it is worth it for every day computing: browsing the web, reading documents, and once you get better with them, even moving text around from a word document to another spot. The slimblade is my daily driver and I use it 90% of the time for these tasks. 10% goes to my vertical mouse because some things feel faster and more precise with it.

For gaming? I play things where aiming is not that big of a deal, like Diablo, where it's just a clickfest and aiming doesn't matter, I can't do it with a trackball. I've tried to game with: slimblade, ploopy and deft pro. I sucked. I couldn't get used to it. So I just game with my vertical mouse instead. Can you game? Yes, but it's hard to fight against years of training. Some do it and you can see their videos on youtube. But it depends on the games you play and how much time you can devote to re-learning how to do it.

General computer use? Love it. Easy to adjust if you put all other input devices away and then add the mouse when needed.
Gaming? Ughhh. I suck at it but you might be better with it.

Offline nevin

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 28 February 2020, 19:00:29 »
back in the day it was the only thing that made sense for 1990's fps gaming (unreal/quake tournament) "looking around" or aiming....  was much better than with a normal mouse. (of corse most of the common mice back them were still mechanical ball mice or optical, maxing out at about 800 dpi... again.... for "common mice")

kensington expert mouse - super nice!

did a quick search... even the current kensington orbit (low budget) has the awesome scroll ring now....

worth a look... even the logitech version (closest i can find.... is the trackman marble) but the one i remember was beige (in the 90's)
Keeb.io Viterbi, Apple m0110, Apple m0120, Apple m0110a, Apple 658-4081, Apple M1242, Apple AEK II, MK96, GH60/Pure, Cherry g84-4100, Adesso AKP-220B, Magicforce 68

Offline typo

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 03 March 2020, 20:09:42 »
I would get a good thumb ball. do not listen to it will hurt your thumb. A good one has no resistance. I swear once you get past the learning curve you will wonder how you ever used a rodent.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 03 March 2020, 23:41:48 »
Evoluent vertical mouse is the go-to for ergonomics.

They're not great for game tracking, but for office , it's perfectly usable.

Offline Venatorious

• Gotta Start Somewhere
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 03 March 2020, 23:50:44 »
I would probably use a trackball 24/7 if I never played video games.  Kensington Slimblade works like a dream.

Offline ykill

• qed - Production Coordinator for deafmute
    • Deafmute Linktree
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 07 March 2020, 10:41:14 »
I can use either, but a ball is more fun, and it can be used with a tilted desk.
qed on the gram @quality_enforcement_dojo
qed in 40% Discord

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 07 March 2020, 11:23:03 »
I started having pain a few years ago and went to a Logitech thumb ball and then a Kensington Expert (I think?). I started designing a lot and ended up going back to a regular mouse. The MX Master 2 ended up being the most comfortable so that is what I use now.

I got really good at Rocket League using that Kensington haha