Author Topic: Cherry MX Stabilizer Mod - What a difference  (Read 10164 times)

Offline noons

Cherry MX Stabilizer Mod - What a difference
« on: Fri, 24 November 2017, 15:22:34 »
So I know there are previous posts on this and that this mod is pretty well known, but I just wanted to post what a difference it has made on my KUL keyboard. I've had the keyboard for about a year now in my office and the MUSHYness has driven me nuts, especially after feeling my friends leopold 750R (which does not suffer from the same mushy feeling). For those who have never soldered before and may be hesitating doing this, this was my first time and had no issues. Soldering is incredibly easy, honestly easier then I had imagined.
Tofu65 Turquoise Tealios | Drop ALT LP Alpacas | 2X Leopold FC750R MX Brown | KUL MX Brown w/Cherry Stab MOD | Leopold FC660C BLANK | REALFORCE 87U 45G | HHKB PRO2 | Leopold TKL MX RED | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL MX BLUE

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
Re: Cherry MX Stabilizer Mod - What a difference
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 24 November 2017, 20:40:24 »
Are you referring to clipping the bottom of the Cherry stabs to make them feel crisper?

Offline noons

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 25 November 2017, 09:15:43 »
I am!

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=34759.0

For those who may not know what the mod is..

Tofu65 Turquoise Tealios | Drop ALT LP Alpacas | 2X Leopold FC750R MX Brown | KUL MX Brown w/Cherry Stab MOD | Leopold FC660C BLANK | REALFORCE 87U 45G | HHKB PRO2 | Leopold TKL MX RED | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL MX BLUE

Offline yuppie

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 25 November 2017, 10:31:06 »
Only interested in silencing mods for stabs pls.
"Overall, it's a good community..  wish you well on your Pokemon Journey.." - TP4
Current Trades -- Wishlist

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 25 November 2017, 21:16:09 »
Oh yeah I totally agree, I did the same thing on my Logitech K840.

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=91503.0

Generally I only buy keyboard with Costar stabilizers or pre-clipped cherry stabilizer (Vortex, Leopold....etc).  This is the first time I bought a keyboard with regular Cherry stabilizer and it drove me nuts.

Pop the keyboard open and void the warranty on my 2nd day of purchase but it was totally worth it hahah.

But yes like you said contrary to popular believe, you only need to de-solder the switch the stabilizer is on, so it's actually not that bad.

:thumb:

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 25 November 2017, 21:34:25 »
you can rice up a civic,  but it's still a civic..

Meanwhile..

Offline Zylkan

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 26 November 2017, 14:43:47 »
Hmm... I think I might try this myself!

Offline _haru

• Formerly linuxfanatic
  • Back from the dead
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 26 November 2017, 19:17:31 »

Meanwhile..

(Attachment Link)

<3
AMJ60 - 45g MX White | GH60 Rev. C - Ghost Gateron Blacks | DFK101 - Alps SKCM Cream | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL - 62g Vintage MX Ergo Clear

Offline Hyde

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 26 November 2017, 22:25:31 »

Meanwhile..

(Attachment Link)

<3

Generally I'd advise not take TP4 seriously BUT, I agree with him this time.  :thumb:

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 26 November 2017, 22:29:34 »

Generally I'd advise not take TP4 seriously BUT, I agree with him this time.  :thumb:

People always say that , before finally capitulating,  recognizing that Tp4 has a 99.97 Right percentage. !!

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 26 November 2017, 23:41:07 »

Meanwhile..

(Attachment Link)

Completely agree, especially when properly lubed.

Offline noons

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 27 November 2017, 18:23:51 »
To be honest, I like the feeling of these modified cherry stabs better then the costar's that I had on my filco and the costars on a friends wasd. They also feel better then my leopold 200r, but equal to the 750r.

In summary (from what I have tried) Modified cherry stabs >= leopold 750r > Costar on filco and wasd > leopold 200r > > > > Kul / Stock cherry stabilizers. Curious to see the modifications leopold has done to their stabilizers especially over time. The ones that come with the 750r have definitely have a crisper feeling compared to those on my 200r. Stock cherry stabs are just awful, I don't know how people can say they prefer the mush over any of the other options.

Offline Hyde

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 27 November 2017, 21:07:42 »
^ Did you try lubing Costar stabilizers?

I tried the Leopold/Vortex (stock mod Cherry stab) and even the ones I mod myself (Logitech K840) but I find I can always feel the friction on the sliders on the left and right side.

To me Costar just feels "invisible".  Just make sure you lube it with something semi thick.

Something like this:  https://elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=access,misc&pid=mechlube

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 27 November 2017, 21:54:48 »
I like modded PCB mount cherry... or 'beveled' Costars as i'm dubbing the mod... basically opening up the tops of the frames so you dont have any bump when the cap passes over the lip.
-Dana

Offline Hyde

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 27 November 2017, 21:58:53 »
Ehhhh can you take a picture?  That sounds interesting.

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 27 November 2017, 23:50:19 »
I actually just had a customer that I did the switches on but not the stabs - she had some issues with the costars when it all went back together so I sent her these two pics to help describe what some of my Costar mods include:
https://i.imgur.com/4GNSuKm.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/QfVwSgL.jpg

You would have to compare the inside shape to a stock one but basically you're looking for the inner lip of the frame to clear the key cap post with out binding.
-Dana

Offline Hyde

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 29 November 2017, 11:23:56 »
Ohhhhh I see, I think I've never run into this issue yet because the official Costar stabilizer inserts are actually wider than the switch stem.

Since your plastic mounts are white (Costar are black) so I'm assuming it's a different manufacturer (very similar though).

But I'll keep that in mind for next time I run into this.  :thumb:

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 29 November 2017, 23:57:26 »
Ohhhhh I see, I think I've never run into this issue yet because the official Costar stabilizer inserts are actually wider than the switch stem.

Since your plastic mounts are white (Costar are black) so I'm assuming it's a different manufacturer (very similar though).

But I'll keep that in mind for next time I run into this.  :thumb:

I was under the impression Costar stabs came in either white or black. I will say that the Whitefox has been the primary subject of needing this mod and the issue with the cap getting caught on the costar frame and binding seems to be amplified with non-cherry switches. Perhaps there is a slight variation in stem positioning that causes the clearance problem? I'm not sure. It very well could be that the whitefox has the plate cut-outs 1mm off too? I havent measured my other costar based boards.
-Dana

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 30 November 2017, 11:59:49 »
I actually just had a customer that I did the switches on but not the stabs - she had some issues with the costars when it all went back together so I sent her these two pics to help describe what some of my Costar mods include:

You would have to compare the inside shape to a stock one but basically you're looking for the inner lip of the frame to clear the key cap post with out binding.

Can you flip the plate inserts and and try them the other way around

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #19 on: Sat, 02 December 2017, 10:53:36 »

Can you flip the plate inserts and and try them the other way around

It looks like the plate cut out is centered to the switch so I bet you could flip them and try.
-Dana

Offline capitanhero

« Reply #20 on: Thu, 11 January 2018, 08:20:29 »
Hey guys, I'm working at GMK in Germany. We have the QMX Silencing Clips in our webshop at Uniqey.net
If you need stabilizers we have a MOQ of 150pcs. These ones are currently available.

186233-0

Use this form to get a quote.
https://uniqey.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new?ticket_form_id=114093978873

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #21 on: Sat, 13 January 2018, 05:23:33 »
Hey guys, I'm working at GMK in Germany. We have the QMX Silencing Clips in our webshop at Uniqey.net
If you need stabilizers we have a MOQ of 150pcs. These ones are currently available.

(Attachment Link)

Great to know! Finally a gmk-uniqey guy :-)

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #22 on: Sat, 13 January 2018, 05:24:38 »
If you have o-rings or silent switches, does it make sense to clip the stabilizers? Does the clipping make them more noisy?

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
« Reply #23 on: Sat, 13 January 2018, 05:27:50 »

(Attachment Link)

Welcome to geekhack!  Hope to see you around the site more in the future.

Offline capitanhero

« Reply #24 on: Mon, 15 January 2018, 04:35:17 »
If you have o-rings or silent switches, does it make sense to clip the stabilizers? Does the clipping make them more noisy?

Well with the silent switches you'd have to try. The QMX-Clips are more of a solution for the regular switches to reduce noice.
I don't think that applying the Clips to a Silent MX from Cherry would make them more noisy. I have to get R&D on that though, because I'm curious now too..

I wouldn't recommend the application of the QMX-Clip and the o-ring together, bc imo it reduces the travel of the cap to much.. (did this make any sense?  :-X )

Best
Michael

Offline capitanhero

« Reply #25 on: Mon, 15 January 2018, 04:39:08 »