Author Topic: Favorite pens/pencils?  (Read 186194 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: Favorite pens/pencils?
« Reply #350 on: Sat, 21 December 2013, 11:50:29 »
If I had to chose one, it would have to be the Rotring 600 in 0.5 lead. I've tried the 800, and the retractable tip is nice in its own right but its added weight and complication lead to the entire pencil feeling less balanced and cohesive. The 600 on the other hand, is very nearly perfect. Nice to hold, nice and weighted, and has a certain beauty in its simplicity. The erasers are quite chunky, a huge upgrade from the tiny ones in Staedtler's 925-05. The grip is not overly aggressive, but instead to a degree both comfortable and suitably grippy. I've tried a lot of drafting pencil over the years, and this is the one I was most enamored by. It is quite ironic, however, because I have never used this pencil for any kind of drafting. I use it almost exclusively for writing essays, notes, and stories here and there. It performs admirably, and not to mention looks awesome doing it. I do however lack a nice ballpoint or roller ball pen in my set up. Any recommendations?

??

I'd think that a member of GH would use a Computer for essays and stories...

Notes by hand I can understand...

I agree with tp here, though sometimes I do write out stuff if I'm forced to.

@ gun point?

if not.. Ffff.. that guy...

Offline inteli722

• Waiting for too much stuff...
« Reply #351 on: Sat, 21 December 2013, 12:04:23 »
If I had to chose one, it would have to be the Rotring 600 in 0.5 lead. I've tried the 800, and the retractable tip is nice in its own right but its added weight and complication lead to the entire pencil feeling less balanced and cohesive. The 600 on the other hand, is very nearly perfect. Nice to hold, nice and weighted, and has a certain beauty in its simplicity. The erasers are quite chunky, a huge upgrade from the tiny ones in Staedtler's 925-05. The grip is not overly aggressive, but instead to a degree both comfortable and suitably grippy. I've tried a lot of drafting pencil over the years, and this is the one I was most enamored by. It is quite ironic, however, because I have never used this pencil for any kind of drafting. I use it almost exclusively for writing essays, notes, and stories here and there. It performs admirably, and not to mention looks awesome doing it. I do however lack a nice ballpoint or roller ball pen in my set up. Any recommendations?

??

I agree with tp here, though sometimes I do write out stuff if I'm forced to.

@ gun point?

if not.. Ffff.. that guy...

Nah. I'm required quite a bit for English to write a paper by hand when we're in class.

Other than that, I always have my laptop on me, so anything I can type, I do.
More

Visit the Typing Test and try!
R.I.P. SmallFry! You will be dearly missed.
Leopold FC200 |  CoolerMaster QFP Browns | Quickfire Rapid Greens | Quickfire Rapid Blues
Waiting for: Phantom Plate

Offline VolantPhalanx

• Cult Classic
« Reply #352 on: Sat, 21 December 2013, 12:51:26 »

??

I love keyboards as much as the next guy, but a nice notebook and a pencil is unmatched for writing purposes. I use small muji notebooks so often, a few rows of my bookshelf are chock full of them. Whether it be a writing prompt or just a creative idea for a piece of writing I had, I love to just sit and hash it out. There is something oddly personal about laying that graphite down on the paper by hand that I don't feel when I'm hammering something out on my keyboard. Call me old fashioned, but I find being at my desk with just a pencil and some paper as the best environment for me to really get my creative juices flowing. In terms of essays, I always have my first draft on paper before I type it up to hand in.
Rick Owens and Happy Hackers

Offline Jack

« Reply #353 on: Sat, 21 December 2013, 12:52:09 »
You might think a GHer would rather type. I don't know if I'm really representative, but I prefer handwriting for journal entries at least. Give future readers something interesting to see in the handwriting, because my daily struggles sure as hell aren't fascinating. It seems like handwriting gives me a better emotional connection and less opportunity for dishonest editing on the fly. I've been working on fiction in handwriting too, and it seems to work out nicely, but I'm going to try drafting on a keyboard and see how it affects the outcome. There's a lot of speculation about "handwriting vs. typing" to be found online if you search for it. Some interesting reading, though who knows what basis it has in fact.

Offline VolantPhalanx

• Cult Classic
« Reply #354 on: Sat, 21 December 2013, 13:08:19 »
You might think a GHer would rather type. I don't know if I'm really representative, but I prefer handwriting for journal entries at least. Give future readers something interesting to see in the handwriting, because my daily struggles sure as hell aren't fascinating. It seems like handwriting gives me a better emotional connection and less opportunity for dishonest editing on the fly. I've been working on fiction in handwriting too, and it seems to work out nicely, but I'm going to try drafting on a keyboard and see how it affects the outcome. There's a lot of speculation about "handwriting vs. typing" to be found online if you search for it. Some interesting reading, though who knows what basis it has in fact.
I feel very similarly, and I tried to portray the way you feel in my earlier post. You bring up a great point about how handwriting factors in which I completely forgot. Sure when you type there are fonts and such, but they are never truly your own. When you write by hand, you are representing yourself in the way you print each and every letter. My older sister is in medicine, and her handwriting reflects that if you know what I mean.  :D All about efficiency, quickness, and shorthand. I, on the other hand, write with leisure and in doing so print in very miniscule and accurate lettering and write cursive with decent skill. It does all come down to preference in the end.

Offline Jack

« Reply #355 on: Sat, 21 December 2013, 16:50:32 »
Sure. I'm reading "Handwriting in America" and it's pretty neat to see how perception of handwriting has changed -- from a prescribed hand indicative of place and function in society, to a medium where deviation was valued (at least by romantics) and general character could be determined from some gestalt theory of handwriting analysis, to the graphology of details thought to describe a person in depth, which I understand is considered pseudoscientific now. I'm only halfway through the book, so where it goes from there I don't know, but just personally and for fun, I like to think something of the person or their mood comes through in handwriting, though not necessarily in any quantifiable way. Just another aspect that's nice to see.

Besides, I'll never keep the skill up if I don't find places to use it. :P

Offline VolantPhalanx

• Cult Classic
« Reply #356 on: Sat, 21 December 2013, 17:21:05 »
Sure. I'm reading "Handwriting in America" and it's pretty neat to see how perception of handwriting has changed -- from a prescribed hand indicative of place and function in society, to a medium where deviation was valued (at least by romantics) and general character could be determined from some gestalt theory of handwriting analysis, to the graphology of details thought to describe a person in depth, which I understand is considered pseudoscientific now. I'm only halfway through the book, so where it goes from there I don't know, but just personally and for fun, I like to think something of the person or their mood comes through in handwriting, though not necessarily in any quantifiable way. Just another aspect that's nice to see.

Besides, I'll never keep the skill up if I don't find places to use it. :P
Very true,  :D. The old adage "practice makes perfect" sums up nice handwriting very well.
« Last Edit: Thu, 09 January 2014, 19:53:37 by VolantPhalanx »

Offline Canious

« Reply #357 on: Tue, 31 December 2013, 00:21:36 »
What... people still use pens...?  :eek:

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #358 on: Tue, 31 December 2013, 00:22:25 »

People still use keyboards? I thought everybody used those fancy touch screens now

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #359 on: Tue, 31 December 2013, 00:37:16 »

People still use keyboards? I thought everybody used those fancy touch screens now

no one wants to use a touch screen, it's only cuz they have to....

mouse and keyboard... all the way....

Offline Coreda

« Reply #360 on: Sun, 12 January 2014, 19:51:44 »
In regular use: Rotring Tikky 0.5 pencil

And aesthetically the Rotring 600 series (own both the pens and pencils but never use them as their hexagonal shape is uncomfortable)

Offline inteli722

« Reply #361 on: Sun, 12 January 2014, 20:12:59 »
Show Image

And aesthetically the Rotring 600 series (own both the pens and pencils but never use them as their hexagonal shape is uncomfortable)
Show Image

Show Image

How much of my money would I have to throw at you for you to sell me one of those 600 pens?
More

Leopold FC200 |  CoolerMaster QFP Browns | Quickfire Rapid Greens | Quickfire Rapid Blues

Offline Coreda

« Reply #362 on: Sun, 12 January 2014, 21:32:55 »
How much of my money would I have to throw at you for you to sell me one of those 600 pens?

Ah, should have clarified the images aren't my own. I own two of the 0.7mm pencils, a ballpoint and an all black rollerball, some of the other varieties can be harder to find. Just posted that image from maganpolitik on flickr I had saved. Always was jealous of their collection while searching for them a few years ago  :p.

Offline inteli722

« Reply #363 on: Sun, 12 January 2014, 21:47:24 »

Ah, should have clarified the images aren't my own. I own two of the 0.7mm pencils, a ballpoint and an all black rollerball, some of the other varieties can be harder to find. Just posted that image from maganpolitik on flickr I had saved. Always was jealous of their collection while searching for them a few years ago  :p .

And that invalidates my statement how? Seriously, I want one of those pens.
More

Offline Coreda

« Reply #364 on: Sun, 12 January 2014, 22:08:34 »
And that invalidates my statement how? Seriously, I want one of those pens.

Not at all  :) it's just that only the rollerball comes in that shape which I plan to keep, along with the pencil and ballpoint (same shape as the pencil) in their own case.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #365 on: Mon, 13 January 2014, 10:07:22 »
I just got a silver Rotring 600 0.7mm and I'm very happy with it. I'd like a black 600 0.5mm to go with it. I use it daily at work :D

Offline inteli722

« Reply #366 on: Mon, 13 January 2014, 16:38:29 »
I just got a silver Rotring 600 0.7mm and I'm very happy with it. I'd like a black 600 0.5mm to go with it. I use it daily at work :D

0.5mm lead all the way. I still love my 600.
More

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #367 on: Wed, 29 January 2014, 19:56:29 »
Decided to try out a fountain pen before I bought any more ballpoint stuff, so I got a Lamy Safari. It feels really nice in the hand but I don't know if I like the writing feel any more than a ballpoint.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #368 on: Wed, 29 January 2014, 20:03:01 »
get a twsbi with a fine nib, you'll love it!
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #369 on: Wed, 29 January 2014, 20:10:13 »
get a twsbi with a fine nib, you'll love it!

I definitely haven't given up on fountain pens yet--and this is only my first day with the safari--so I'm eager to keep using this and try new things. I'll give TWSBI a look!

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #370 on: Wed, 29 January 2014, 20:12:59 »
I like the TWSBI more, I wasn't a fan of the grip style that safari has. I also found the TWSBI to write smoother compared to the scratchy feel the safari had. But it was fine vs medium so not sure how much that plays into it.

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #371 on: Wed, 29 January 2014, 20:14:41 »
I like the TWSBI more, I wasn't a fan of the grip style that safari has. I also found the TWSBI to write smoother compared to the scratchy feel the safari had. But it was fine vs medium so not sure how much that plays into it.

The scratchyness is the main reason that I think I prefer a ballpoint to the safari. It's almost like I'm writing on the paper with my fingernail.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #372 on: Wed, 29 January 2014, 20:16:59 »
What size nib did you get? The grip style and the scratchiness are the reasons why I didn't like it. But i do love my twsbi mini. sadly i dont write enough to use it every day :(

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #373 on: Wed, 29 January 2014, 20:25:29 »
What size nib did you get? The grip style and the scratchiness are the reasons why I didn't like it. But i do love my twsbi mini. sadly i dont write enough to use it every day :(

I got the fine nib.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #374 on: Wed, 29 January 2014, 20:32:25 »
ah, okay, so it isnt just the medium i got. good to know, i was going to give them another try. but now i'll pass.

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #375 on: Wed, 29 January 2014, 20:44:52 »
ah, okay, so it isnt just the medium i got. good to know, i was going to give them another try. but now i'll pass.

Do you know if it's an issue with all the Lamy pens, or just the cheaper end stuff? Do they all use the same nibs?

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #376 on: Wed, 29 January 2014, 20:50:40 »
No idea tbh, I'm a noob when it comes to fountain pens. I believe it's german vs asian (not sure which part) made nibs, but i forgot what's what.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #377 on: Wed, 29 January 2014, 21:10:34 »
No idea tbh, I'm a noob when it comes to fountain pens. I believe it's german vs asian (not sure which part) made nibs, but i forgot what's what.

because east asian txt is dense/ compact, the nibs are sharper..

western writing is less compressed, so there's no point to make thin lines, thus they've generally made more "broad" nibs.

that said...  italic nibs... that's where the fun is...

Offline okooko

• afk.
« Reply #378 on: Wed, 29 January 2014, 21:15:52 »

Do you know if it's an issue with all the Lamy pens, or just the cheaper end stuff? Do they all use the same nibs?

I've got about 6-8 safari's - all Medium nibs.
I would guess that the scratchyness is to do with the Fine nib being narrower than a Med (like scratching paper with a pin)
Then again comparing the medium to my GVFC fountain, it essentially has the same 'sound' if that makes any sense.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #379 on: Wed, 29 January 2014, 21:35:59 »

I would guess that the scratchyness is to do with the Fine nib being narrower than a Med (like scratching paper with a pin)
Then again comparing the medium to my GVFC fountain, it essentially has the same 'sound' if that makes any sense.

scratchyness is not an issue one the nib breaks in...  Just like keyswitches..

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #380 on: Wed, 29 January 2014, 21:57:02 »

scratchyness is not an issue one the nib breaks in...  Just like keyswitches..

I type on topre, I expect smoothness out of the box  :cool:

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #381 on: Thu, 13 February 2014, 13:34:47 »
Can anyone recommend an ultra fine retractable pen?

Offline missalaire

• Great Finder of Great Finds
« Reply #383 on: Thu, 13 February 2014, 14:35:25 »
Really enjoying my Rotring 600 0.5mm mechanical pencil :)

Anyone have the Rotring 800 and 600 and can compare the two? Also, looking for recommendations on nice fountain pens.
Ducky DK9008S2 Blue LED | Ducky DK2108S OMG | Ducky DK9008S2 White LED | Ducky YOTD | CM QuickFire TK LE | Filco MJ2 TKL custom | Trik Alu Skin Custom

Mechanical keyboards are primarily vessels for novelty keycaps...
Please do NOT PM me regarding finding deals for specific products, I do not take personal requests!

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #384 on: Fri, 14 February 2014, 04:14:02 »
this is truly amazing for me. Pen geeks along with keyboard geeks and back pack geeks?
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #385 on: Fri, 14 February 2014, 05:18:36 »

Anyone have the Rotring 800 and 600 and can compare the two? Also, looking for recommendations on nice fountain pens.

afaik the 800 is just a 600 with a retractable tip.

As for fountain pens; nice as in nice and expensive, or nice as in value for money ones?
I really like my Lamy pen, the good thing about Lamy is that they all use the same type of nib with the exception of the 2000.
The Vista is a nice and cheap demonstrator, and the AL-Star is amazing looking if demonstrators(or at least cheap ones) aren't your thing.

TWSBI pens are also nice pens for a decent price from what I've heard.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #386 on: Fri, 14 February 2014, 08:48:19 »
Also, looking for recommendations on nice fountain pens.

Lamy Safari was the first one I bought. tjcaustin seems very fond of his Pilot Metropolitan. Demik loves the Twibsi.

Offline missalaire

« Reply #387 on: Fri, 14 February 2014, 10:02:58 »

As for fountain pens; nice as in nice and expensive, or nice as in value for money ones?
I really like my Lamy pen, the good thing about Lamy is that they all use the same type of nib with the exception of the 2000.
The Vista is a nice and cheap demonstrator, and the AL-Star is amazing looking if demonstrators(or at least cheap ones) aren't your thing.

I'm not looking for something too expensive, but it can be up to like maybe $50 if it looks nice. I know that amount probably won't go very far, but looking for range of fountain pens that are cheaper and up to that price.

Lamy Safari was the first one I bought. tjcaustin seems very fond of his Pilot Metropolitan. Demik loves the Twibsi.

Thx will look into those.
Ducky DK9008S2 Blue LED | Ducky DK2108S OMG | Ducky DK9008S2 White LED | Ducky YOTD | CM QuickFire TK LE | Filco MJ2 TKL custom | Trik Alu Skin Custom

Please do NOT PM me regarding finding deals for specific products, I do not take personal requests!

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #388 on: Fri, 14 February 2014, 10:22:02 »

I'm not looking for something too expensive, but it can be up to like maybe $50 if it looks nice. I know that amount probably won't go very far, but looking for range of fountain pens that are cheaper and up to that price.

I'd say the Lamy pens are right up your alley then, Safari/Vista/AL-Star are all the same shape, the Safari is coloured plastic, Vista is clear plastic and the AL-Star is aluminium.

I can't remember the prices, but the AL-Star should fit within your budget, and while it is more expensive it is also the best looking. If you really want a demonstrator then I'd suggest looking at TWSBI instead since they look a lot cleaner than the Vista.

Offline luis911

« Reply #389 on: Fri, 14 February 2014, 19:54:06 »
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

I love my Rotring 600!
Check out my website FDMPrints.org

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #390 on: Mon, 17 February 2014, 08:56:22 »

Twsbi*

Offline missalaire

« Reply #391 on: Fri, 07 March 2014, 00:43:16 »

I'd say the Lamy pens are right up your alley then, Safari/Vista/AL-Star are all the same shape, the Safari is coloured plastic, Vista is clear plastic and the AL-Star is aluminium.

I can't remember the prices, but the AL-Star should fit within your budget, and while it is more expensive it is also the best looking. If you really want a demonstrator then I'd suggest looking at TWSBI instead since they look a lot cleaner than the Vista.

Ended up getting my Lamy Al-Star graphite fountain pen the other day and I love it. It looks so nice and sleek and it ended up being like only $30 on Amazon :)

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #392 on: Fri, 07 March 2014, 07:32:50 »

Ended up getting my Lamy Al-Star graphite fountain pen the other day and I love it. It looks so nice and sleek and it ended up being like only $30 on Amazon :)

Yeah I saw your pic in the mail thread, looks really nice.

I'm currently struggling to find my Vista, no idea where it's gone :c

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
« Reply #393 on: Fri, 07 March 2014, 07:34:31 »
I hated the TWSBI VAC 700.

A friend photographed my pens and pencil:

« Last Edit: Fri, 07 March 2014, 07:39:55 by longweight »

Offline GeorgeK

« Reply #394 on: Fri, 07 March 2014, 08:11:08 »
Whilst I'm all for arty photos, it would be nice if the focus point was actually on at least one of the pens lol :p
Black Filco TKL - Stickered, Lubed Reds || Poker w/Plate, Alu Case -  Stickered, Lubed 65g Ergo-Clears || Cherry G80-3700 w/SS Plate - Lubed 65g Ergo-Clears

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
« Reply #395 on: Fri, 07 March 2014, 08:11:50 »
Yeah I know :(

Offline HipsterPunks

• Gangmember
  • * Maker
« Reply #396 on: Fri, 07 March 2014, 08:16:07 »
hey you guys with calligraphy pens could you post some of your personalized handwriting font? i love the varying styles of calligraphy pen writing  :p
sell out and eat ass

Offline illy865

« Reply #397 on: Fri, 07 March 2014, 08:40:46 »
My favorite pens are a pretty well used Sheaffer PFM II that I found a while back (sac was still pliable and working) and a Parker 51 Vacumatic with a rare stub nib.  They have the smoothest nibs out of my collection.

As for modern pens, I love the Hi-Tec Cs (G-TEC-C), preferably a 0.3 mm since that's also the pencil lead size I use in my mechanicals.
AEK - Orange ALPS | Leopold FC700R - Cherry MX Red | CM Storm Quickfire TK - Cherry MX Blue

Offline missalaire

« Reply #398 on: Fri, 07 March 2014, 12:45:18 »
How do you guys get the fountain pen to drag less when you write? Just something you need to get used to?

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #399 on: Fri, 07 March 2014, 14:49:06 »
You need to get used to a fountain pen.  Youre use to pushing down on ball points to get ink on paper