Author Topic: Favorite pens/pencils?  (Read 186198 times)

Offline Senthura

• Your Doom
Re: Favorite pens/pencils?
« Reply #550 on: Sat, 13 September 2014, 21:51:47 »
I've used a Zebra M-402 mechanical pencil for years.  Eraser is crap, but that's just encouragement to not make mistakes.  :p

Oh I have to agree all around. The erasers they put on mechs are either too small... or too small and very crappy.

That's why I use these:

Staedtler Mechanical Eraser:
Show Image

Pentel Tri-Eraser:
Show Image

Staedtler Eraser:
Show Image

Staedtler Kneadable Eraser:
Show Image

The rectangle white ones are what I use and sometimes a cheaper brand I find at Walmart by Pentel or something. Great erasers. My Zebra M-301 has that tiny useless eraser problem.
Ducky Shine 3 TKL Blue switch & Green backlight

Offline The Mad Professor

• Ex Scientia, Rabies
« Reply #551 on: Sat, 13 September 2014, 22:15:11 »
I've used a Zebra M-402 mechanical pencil for years.  Eraser is crap, but that's just encouragement to not make mistakes.  :p

Oh I have to agree all around. The erasers they put on mechs are either too small... or too small and very crappy.

That's why I use these:

Staedtler Mechanical Eraser:
Show Image

Pentel Tri-Eraser:
Show Image

Staedtler Eraser:
Show Image

Staedtler Kneadable Eraser:
Show Image

The rectangle white ones are what I use and sometimes a cheaper brand I find at Walmart by Pentel or something. Great erasers. My Zebra M-301 has that tiny useless eraser problem.

I use the first two when I'm just doing writing or quick sketches in pencil. The third one is great for heavy erasing (I love the fact that they have a very low rate of crumbling), and the last one removes graphite without leaving any eraser residue (perfect for instances where extraneous marks and smears are undesireable).

I used to use the old Pink Pearl erasers, but I found a much better use for them. I occasionally will grab five or so and make custom stamps out of them. Just carve out your stamp, spray a nice fixative, and epoxy a handle, and it's a hell of a lot cheaper than getting one made.
Mad Science means never stopping to ask "What's the worst that could happen?" - Schlock Mercenary

Offline Tiramisuu

« Reply #552 on: Sun, 14 September 2014, 05:46:23 »
I am partial to a Parker rollerball but being left handed they are a bit messy.
Keyboard error F1 to continue.

Poker 2, Gherkin, Lets Split, Planck, Filco

Offline do_Og@n

• * Maker
« Reply #553 on: Sun, 14 September 2014, 09:05:49 »
Just upgraded...

77057-0

It's a good pen but it's supposed to be a medium nib.
« Last Edit: Sun, 14 September 2014, 09:11:25 by do_Og@n »

Offline terrpn

• Alpha Geezer
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • - Buy Vintage -
« Reply #554 on: Mon, 15 September 2014, 17:23:18 »
Just upgraded...

(Attachment Link)

It's a good pen but it's supposed to be a medium nib.

nice pen and yea it looks a little beefy for medium- has a big chunk of iridium on it for sure, but looks pretty smooth.

great candidate to have smoothed into a med-fine italic though
More

Luga G80-1865/MX Reds + Dolch G80-1813/MX Blues + G80-3700HQAUS + DK9008G2 Pro/MX Browns Thick PBT + DK9008G2 Pro/MX Clears Thick PBT +  QFR TKL/Ghetto Greens + Cherry G80-1800/MX Blues + IBM Model M SSK Bolt Modded + IBM Model M + IBM Model F + IBM AT F + Cherry G80-1000 (HAD)/MX Vintage Blacks + Razer BWU/MX Blues + Leading Edge DC2214/Blue Alps + Compaq MX11800/Browns + Chicony 5181/Monterey Blues + Chicony 5161/MX Black Cherry Clone + Focus 2001/White Alps + Chicony 5191/White Futabas + Olivetti ANK27-101 + Dell (Old Logo) AT101/Black Alps + NMB RT8255C+/Black Space Invaders + Unitek K260/Green Alps + Apple M0116/Orange Alps + AEK II M3501/Cream Alps + AEK M0115/Orange Alps + NEC  APC412/Blue Sliders + NEC APC410/Blue Sliders + Omnikey /White Alps + Wang/Yellow Alps (Omrons) + Laser/White SMK + Fame/Blue Aruz + AEK II M3501/Salmon Alps + Zenith ZKB-2R/Green Alps + Wang 724/Orange Alps + DK1087/Green Alps + Zenith ZKB-2/Yellow Alps + Dell Old Logo AT101/Salmon-Pink Alps + Leading Edge AK1012/White SMK's + Magitronic SK-1030/White (Linear) Futaba's + Packard Bell/White (Clicky) Futaba's + Datacomp DFK101/White  Alps + SGI AT101/Dampened White Alps + NMB AQ6RT-72511/Grey Space Invaders (Hi-Tek) + Datacomp/Blue Alps + Phillips 2812/White Space Invaders (Linear) + Dah Yang K251/Vintage MX Blues + Chicony 5161/DS Caps/Vintage MX Blue + Archie-NMB AQ659ZRT-725/Black Space Invader (Tactile) + IBM Model M 71G4644 (RD) Bolt Modded with Soarers Converter + IBM Model M Silver Label 1390131 + Cherry G80-1501/Vintage MX Clears + Focus FK8000/Linear Futabas + Gateway 2000 Anykey Programmable/Maxi-Switch + Dell GY13PVAT101/Dye Sub Caps/Salmon Alps + Chicony 5161/White Alps + AST K0B101/Slider over RD + Qtronix QX-32H + Everex/NMB RT8255CW+ Black Space Invaders-Split Erase + Tandon/NMB AQ659ZRT-101A/Beige Space Invaders + Cherry G80-11903 MNRUS/MX Blacks + Apple IIGS A9M0330/SMK Whites + WYSE PCE/MX Blacks + Chicony 5160AXT/Clicky Futaba + Cherry G80-0528/Vintage MX Blacks + Dell AT101/Linear (Modded) Black Alps+Topre 55g

Offline Tiramisuu

« Reply #555 on: Mon, 15 September 2014, 21:16:27 »
Damn fountain pens just don't make us lefties happy.

A nice heavy mont blanc and a gel ink refill although I love the feel of a roller ball.
Keyboard error F1 to continue.

Poker 2, Gherkin, Lets Split, Planck, Filco

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #556 on: Mon, 15 September 2014, 21:21:06 »
I picked up a CH and a purse pen in pastel pink

how  are the threads on the barrel? many are usually stained pretty bad from old ink and hard to get back to the original plastic.

also.............did they come with any uncommon nib units on them?

The pink Purse pen cleaned up fine and didn't have any cracks. It had a 1551 nib. I haven't cleaned the CH yet. But it came with a 2314B nib which I'm really excited for.

My Stipula Etruria. It's a celluloid model. Has amazing depth and a beautiful shimmer in the light. My pics don't capture it.

Wife got it for me after I finished a grueling Theology of Jonathan Edwards class. Over 1000 pages of sermons and theo from the 1700's!

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Damn that Stipula looks great :D

And now I want a fancy pen too. Damn this forum.

Not super expensive but, get yourself a twsbi. Great first pens imo

I think they're a bit pricey for a first pen, especially considering there's great options like the Pilot Varsity/Metropolitan. But I've really grown to like the TWBSIs and I really can't wait for the 580USA and perhaps pick up a Mini as well :D.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #557 on: Mon, 15 September 2014, 21:49:32 »
yeah but you dont need to upgrade from it. unlike the metropolitan. and you get choices of nibs, and a normal grip area (unlike the weird **** safari has that i can't use for the life of me)
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #558 on: Mon, 15 September 2014, 21:53:48 »
Why do you need to upgrade from a metropolitan ;)

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #559 on: Mon, 15 September 2014, 21:55:26 »
nibs

Offline iri

« Reply #560 on: Tue, 16 September 2014, 06:11:41 »
unlike the weird **** safari has that i can't use for the life of me
safari's grip area is perfect.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #561 on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 19:10:56 »
Dropped my Rotring 600 today and bent the nib.  :'(

Guess this is my chance to give the 800 a try.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #562 on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 19:14:57 »

Wait, I know there's a rotring 600 FP and pencil (which I have: sweet pencil), is there a rotring 800 FP or did you bend your rotring 600 pencil tip?

Either way it's a tragedy. Have you contacted them, maybe there's a way to get a replacement part? I think replacing the nib on the FP can be done without too much effort, and rebending it might be a possibility there too.

Offline mreverything

« Reply #563 on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 19:21:26 »
My daily pens are a Micron and a Sailor HighAce Neo Beginner's Fountain Pen.

I love vintage pencils. I have some Blackwing 602s, a Blaisdell Special Grade Calculator 600 (yeah, just one), and Blackfeet Indian pencils. The Blackfeet are the least expensive to pick up on ebay.

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #564 on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 19:23:18 »

Wait, I know there's a rotring 600 FP and pencil (which I have: sweet pencil), is there a rotring 800 FP or did you bend your rotring 600 pencil tip?

Either way it's a tragedy. Have you contacted them, maybe there's a way to get a replacement part? I think replacing the nib on the FP can be done without too much effort, and rebending it might be a possibility there too.

Whoops, I mean the pencil tip.

I tried gently rebending it but it fell out, and I made the mistake of doing so over carpet so now I can't find it. It still writes okay but it's pretty wobbly. I'm not sure if the tip can be replaced, but I'll contact them and see what they say.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #565 on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 22:45:04 »

nope, feels horrible. round grip > that 3 point crap

Offline inteli722

• Waiting for too much stuff...
« Reply #566 on: Fri, 19 September 2014, 16:18:48 »

Whoops, I mean the pencil tip.

I tried gently rebending it but it fell out, and I made the mistake of doing so over carpet so now I can't find it. It still writes okay but it's pretty wobbly. I'm not sure if the tip can be replaced, but I'll contact them and see what they say.
Ive seen replacement tips on jetpens, so you probably can replace the tip.

Keep the dream alive
More

Visit the Typing Test and try!
R.I.P. SmallFry! You will be dearly missed.
Leopold FC200 |  CoolerMaster QFP Browns | Quickfire Rapid Greens | Quickfire Rapid Blues
Waiting for: Phantom Plate

Offline iri

« Reply #567 on: Sat, 20 September 2014, 07:31:34 »

nope, feels horrible. round grip > that 3 point crap
a-ha.

(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline yasuo

• spanengan puyeng newbie
« Reply #568 on: Sat, 20 September 2014, 07:53:23 »
What... people still use pens...?  :eek:

People still use keyboards? I thought everybody used those fancy touch screens now

no one wants to use a touch screen, it's only cuz they have to....

mouse and keyboard... all the way....
Show Image

right, touch screen is annoying :confused: for Handphone keypad better ;D
Logitech MK220 Colemak DH
SplitSyml by Moz BlacksMx fuk blacks

2/3 8.5pm                                          in de la my september month ya da all get my fukka "fake message"

Offline TacticalCoder

« Reply #569 on: Fri, 21 November 2014, 18:49:20 »
I never paid much attention to this thread and always have been using crappy pens but then the other day I had to sign some legal paperwork and I had no pen with me so someone gave me his (ballpoint ?) pen so I could sign.  I immediately how "nice" and "sweet" this thing was, both the feeling in the hand and the feeling while writing.

So I said "Nice pen!" (well, in french) and looked at the thing: apparently it was an Dupont / S.T. Dupont one.

So I'm convinced: I want something like that. Not necessarily something in the hundreds and hundreds or euros / dollars and not necessarily a Dupont but something of quality. A (ballpoint) pen that you can take in your hand and immediately notice the quality. I care about the look and the feeling when I hold the pen as much as the quality of writing: I don't want something looking "cheapo-plastic", no matter how good it is at writing.

So I'm asking the oracle here: which ballpoint pen should I buy, knowing that it's mostly going to be to sign legal paperwork (so no heavy use, although I do tend to have to sign quite a lot of papers)?  :thumb:
HHKB Pro JP (daily driver) -- HHKB Pro 2 -- Industrial IBM Model M 1395240-- NIB Cherry MX 5000 - IBM Model M 1391412 (Swiss QWERTZ) -- IBM Model M 1391403 (German QWERTZ) * 2 -- IBM Model M Ambra -- Black IBM Model M M13 -- IBM Model M 1391401 -- IBM Model M 139? ? ? *2 -- Dell AT102W -- Ergo (split) SmartBoard (white ALPS apparently)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #570 on: Fri, 21 November 2014, 21:24:08 »
I never paid much attention to this thread and always have been using crappy pens but then the other day I had to sign some legal paperwork and I had no pen with me so someone gave me his (ballpoint ?) pen so I could sign.  I immediately how "nice" and "sweet" this thing was, both the feeling in the hand and the feeling while writing.

So I said "Nice pen!" (well, in french) and looked at the thing: apparently it was an Dupont / S.T. Dupont one.

So I'm convinced: I want something like that. Not necessarily something in the hundreds and hundreds or euros / dollars and not necessarily a Dupont but something of quality. A (ballpoint) pen that you can take in your hand and immediately notice the quality. I care about the look and the feeling when I hold the pen as much as the quality of writing: I don't want something looking "cheapo-plastic", no matter how good it is at writing.

So I'm asking the oracle here: which ballpoint pen should I buy, knowing that it's mostly going to be to sign legal paperwork (so no heavy use, although I do tend to have to sign quite a lot of papers)?  :thumb:

get one of those milled universal pens from kickstarter...

they can use any cartridge form any manufacturer.. and they're really solid..  tactical ready.. !!

But...  fair warning....

If you write with a nice pen..  and your writing looks like **** and suck ass... 

you'll be THAT GUY...

you know THAT GUY..   the guy who shows up with a really expensive guitar, but can't play worth a damn..

So.. with great pens, comes great responsibility...   

Conversely,   there's always THE Guy, you know The Guy who can bust-a-groove using any pen...   the guy that plays 100x better on his $50 guitar, and make you feel like an ass even on your beginners $200 guitar..

Offline terrpn

• Alpha Geezer
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • - Buy Vintage -
« Reply #571 on: Sat, 22 November 2014, 06:24:53 »
Of course if you ask me I will tell you to go for a vintage ballpoint of some sort............

I don't really use many ballpoints, mostly fountain pens-- however I do own a few Aurora, Mont Blanc, Rotring, Lamy, etc. ballpoints that are very nice and have great balance to them,

Parker'esque pens are nice because there are so many options with a pen that will accept a Parker refill :cool:

Good luck........

« Last Edit: Sat, 22 November 2014, 08:59:27 by terrpn »
More

Luga G80-1865/MX Reds + Dolch G80-1813/MX Blues + G80-3700HQAUS + DK9008G2 Pro/MX Browns Thick PBT + DK9008G2 Pro/MX Clears Thick PBT +  QFR TKL/Ghetto Greens + Cherry G80-1800/MX Blues + IBM Model M SSK Bolt Modded + IBM Model M + IBM Model F + IBM AT F + Cherry G80-1000 (HAD)/MX Vintage Blacks + Razer BWU/MX Blues + Leading Edge DC2214/Blue Alps + Compaq MX11800/Browns + Chicony 5181/Monterey Blues + Chicony 5161/MX Black Cherry Clone + Focus 2001/White Alps + Chicony 5191/White Futabas + Olivetti ANK27-101 + Dell (Old Logo) AT101/Black Alps + NMB RT8255C+/Black Space Invaders + Unitek K260/Green Alps + Apple M0116/Orange Alps + AEK II M3501/Cream Alps + AEK M0115/Orange Alps + NEC  APC412/Blue Sliders + NEC APC410/Blue Sliders + Omnikey /White Alps + Wang/Yellow Alps (Omrons) + Laser/White SMK + Fame/Blue Aruz + AEK II M3501/Salmon Alps + Zenith ZKB-2R/Green Alps + Wang 724/Orange Alps + DK1087/Green Alps + Zenith ZKB-2/Yellow Alps + Dell Old Logo AT101/Salmon-Pink Alps + Leading Edge AK1012/White SMK's + Magitronic SK-1030/White (Linear) Futaba's + Packard Bell/White (Clicky) Futaba's + Datacomp DFK101/White  Alps + SGI AT101/Dampened White Alps + NMB AQ6RT-72511/Grey Space Invaders (Hi-Tek) + Datacomp/Blue Alps + Phillips 2812/White Space Invaders (Linear) + Dah Yang K251/Vintage MX Blues + Chicony 5161/DS Caps/Vintage MX Blue + Archie-NMB AQ659ZRT-725/Black Space Invader (Tactile) + IBM Model M 71G4644 (RD) Bolt Modded with Soarers Converter + IBM Model M Silver Label 1390131 + Cherry G80-1501/Vintage MX Clears + Focus FK8000/Linear Futabas + Gateway 2000 Anykey Programmable/Maxi-Switch + Dell GY13PVAT101/Dye Sub Caps/Salmon Alps + Chicony 5161/White Alps + AST K0B101/Slider over RD + Qtronix QX-32H + Everex/NMB RT8255CW+ Black Space Invaders-Split Erase + Tandon/NMB AQ659ZRT-101A/Beige Space Invaders + Cherry G80-11903 MNRUS/MX Blacks + Apple IIGS A9M0330/SMK Whites + WYSE PCE/MX Blacks + Chicony 5160AXT/Clicky Futaba + Cherry G80-0528/Vintage MX Blacks + Dell AT101/Linear (Modded) Black Alps+Topre 55g

Offline iri

« Reply #572 on: Sat, 22 November 2014, 09:56:47 »

montblanc 146

aurora oceania

aurora optima

caran d'ache whatever, they are all good

monteverde intima

delta prestige

-Ray Bradbury

Offline mr.squishy

• I like beer and keebs
« Reply #573 on: Sat, 22 November 2014, 10:30:58 »
My spoke inverse :D
Anodized aluminum .5 2013 limited edition mechanical pencil

Offline TacticalCoder

« Reply #574 on: Mon, 24 November 2014, 09:11:16 »
montblanc 146

aurora oceania

aurora optima

caran d'ache whatever, they are all good

monteverde intima

delta prestige

Thanks a lot iri, several of these seems to be very enjoyable to hold: I'll check how much they're worth and pick one which ain't going to cost and arm and a leg  :)
HHKB Pro JP (daily driver) -- HHKB Pro 2 -- Industrial IBM Model M 1395240-- NIB Cherry MX 5000 - IBM Model M 1391412 (Swiss QWERTZ) -- IBM Model M 1391403 (German QWERTZ) * 2 -- IBM Model M Ambra -- Black IBM Model M M13 -- IBM Model M 1391401 -- IBM Model M 139? ? ? *2 -- Dell AT102W -- Ergo (split) SmartBoard (white ALPS apparently)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #575 on: Mon, 24 November 2014, 09:23:22 »
A (ballpoint) pen that you can take in your hand and immediately notice the quality. I care about the look and the feeling when I hold the pen as much as the quality of writing: I don't want something looking "cheapo-plastic", no matter how good it is at writing.

I'm very partial to the Fisher Space Pen. I think it's the only ballpoint I have left that I actually use.
« Last Edit: Mon, 24 November 2014, 09:27:08 by CPTBadAss »

Offline ynrozturk

« Reply #576 on: Mon, 24 November 2014, 10:46:57 »
My spoke inverse :D
Anodized aluminum .5 2013 limited edition mechanical pencil
Show Image

Wow that's gorgeous.
IBM Model F | IMB Model M | Poker II MX Brown | Poker II MX Clear | Filco TKL MX Brown | Bastardized Razer Blackwidow TE MX Blue | Logitech G602 |  Cyborg R.A.T. 7 | | Logitech MX518 | Icemat  | Artisan Hien

Offline TacticalCoder

« Reply #577 on: Mon, 24 November 2014, 11:30:10 »
I'm very partial to the Fisher Space Pen. I think it's the only ballpoint I have left that I actually use.

I'll go either with a Space Pen or with a "Caran d'Ache" model "Alchemix", which seems both reasonably priced, good looking and seems to be enjoyable to hold.  Heck, I may buy both and see which one I prefer.

Anyway: thanks a lot for the tips to the pencil noob that I am ^ ^

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #578 on: Mon, 24 November 2014, 11:36:26 »
I'll go either with a Space Pen or with a "Caran d'Ache" model "Alchemix", which seems both reasonably priced, good looking and seems to be enjoyable to hold.  Heck, I may buy both and see which one I prefer.

Anyway: thanks a lot for the tips to the pencil noob that I am ^ ^

I couple months ago, I tried a Caran d'Ache fountain pen and was smitten. I think if the ballpoints are as good quality as their fountain pens, you'll be happy.

But like I said, I'd happily recommend the Fisher Space Pen to anyone looking for a good ballpoint. Mine's sitting on my desk next to my Pilot Vanishing Point.

Offline iri

« Reply #579 on: Mon, 24 November 2014, 13:40:57 »
caran d'ache is particularly famous for build quality of their writing instruments. also for how they can distort a russian word.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline ezrahilyer

« Reply #580 on: Mon, 01 December 2014, 11:55:28 »
My favorite pen for every day use is the Zebra Sharbo X.
http://www.jetpens.com/Zebra-Sharbo-X-ST3-Pen-Body-Component-Black/pd/4236

I have the orange one, and carry it just about everywhere. I have a 0.3 pencil, and 2 0.4 gellpen refills in it right now.

GREAT PEN!

Offline luisbg

« Reply #581 on: Mon, 01 December 2014, 12:08:33 »
I used to have a Faber Castell pen I loved, until I lost it. Now I can't get myself to buy a nice pen because I know I will lose it.
Leopold FC660M - Brown mx switches - black case - white blank keys :: ErgoDox - Blue mx switches - classic case - black blank keys