Author Topic: Favorite pens/pencils?  (Read 186564 times)

Offline Kraksx

Re: Favorite pens/pencils?
« Reply #450 on: Sun, 20 July 2014, 13:06:57 »
Been using a Rotring 600 for almost a month now. Endgame mechanical pencil :D

Show Image

Those are gorgeous, quite expensive though. Is the only place you can get them online?
« Last Edit: Sun, 20 July 2014, 13:39:47 by Kraksx »

Poker II

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #451 on: Sun, 20 July 2014, 14:02:33 »
Uni Kuro Toga mechanical pencil.  It's what I use almost exclusively at work.  I do need to invest in one with a rubber/gel grip though.

I was a big fan of these when they came out..

They're great for writing short strokes..

I wish they'd make it possible to rotate itself for LONG strokes..

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #452 on: Sun, 20 July 2014, 14:07:01 »

Show Image

People keep saying that... but it hasn't really been on the merits of the pencil.. I find that it's claim to fame has always been more on the side of "elite ownership"..

Exactly like KMAC  vs QFR...    the aluminum shell doesn't REALLLY give increased measurable performance vs a plastic shell,  it's cooler to the touch, it feeeels more solid, it looks nicer..

BUT ultimately you type the same on a KMAC or QFR, ,  because the exterior was not a functional expense...

Plastic graphing pencils produce lines that are just as stable as aluminum graphing pencils..

So we can then say that the Aluminum is a form of VAnity...

Would you say.. Vanity trim is what makes a TOOL better?

Offline inteli722

• Waiting for too much stuff...
« Reply #453 on: Sun, 20 July 2014, 21:19:04 »

Show Image

People keep saying that... but it hasn't really been on the merits of the pencil.. I find that it's claim to fame has always been more on the side of "elite ownership"..

Exactly like KMAC  vs QFR...    the aluminum shell doesn't REALLLY give increased measurable performance vs a plastic shell,  it's cooler to the touch, it feeeels more solid, it looks nicer..

BUT ultimately you type the same on a KMAC or QFR, ,  because the exterior was not a functional expense...

Plastic graphing pencils produce lines that are just as stable as aluminum graphing pencils..

Really, the Rotring 600 is endgame to me, not because of elitism, but the feel of it is amazing. It feels just right in my hand. It isn't too large or too small. It isn't a featherweight, but it doesn't feel like a million pounds in the hand. I like heavier pencils, and the Rotring fits the bill perfectly.

So is it functionally better? Not necessarily. Is it nicer to use? Yes, by a long shot.

Really, a better comparison is vintage blacks to normal blacks (I know you can't feel a difference and you hate the comparison), or lubed to non-lubed switches. Are they functionally the same (press it down to complete a circuit)? Yes. Do they provide the same user experience? No, definitely not.
More

Visit the Typing Test and try!
R.I.P. SmallFry! You will be dearly missed.
Leopold FC200 |  CoolerMaster QFP Browns | Quickfire Rapid Greens | Quickfire Rapid Blues
Waiting for: Phantom Plate

Offline Kraksx

« Reply #454 on: Mon, 21 July 2014, 11:52:36 »

Show Image

Really, the Rotring 600 is endgame to me, not because of elitism, but the feel of it is amazing. It feels just right in my hand. It isn't too large or too small. It isn't a featherweight, but it doesn't feel like a million pounds in the hand. I like heavier pencils, and the Rotring fits the bill perfectly.

So is it functionally better? Not necessarily. Is it nicer to use? Yes, by a long shot.

Really, a better comparison is vintage blacks to normal blacks (I know you can't feel a difference and you hate the comparison), or lubed to non-lubed switches. Are they functionally the same (press it down to complete a circuit)? Yes. Do they provide the same user experience? No, definitely not.

Just a question, are you an engineer or a drafter and you use these for strictly drawings or do you use these for writing? As a student I'm looking at getting a 600

Poker II

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #455 on: Mon, 21 July 2014, 11:54:53 »
Just a question, are you an engineer or a drafter and you use these for strictly drawings or do you use these for writing? As a student I'm looking at getting a 600

I'm an engineer/drafter and I use my 600s daily at work on drawings. They have very fine lines (I have a .5mm and a .7mm) which are great for marking up drawings. I also use them to take notes. I'd recommend a 600 for either task. However, I've been looking at the TWSBI mechanical pencils which are really intriguing.

Offline Kraksx

« Reply #456 on: Mon, 21 July 2014, 12:00:17 »

I'm an engineer/drafter and I use my 600s daily at work on drawings. They have very fine lines (I have a .5mm and a .7mm) which are great for marking up drawings. I also use them to take notes. I'd recommend a 600 for either task. However, I've been looking at the TWSBI mechanical pencils which are really intriguing.

Hmm the Rotring 600 may be the pencil for me then. I think I'm going to have to pull the trigger

Poker II

Offline Lastpilot

• Power stance
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #457 on: Mon, 21 July 2014, 16:34:58 »
Hmm the Rotring 600 may be the pencil for me then. I think I'm going to have to pull the trigger
Yep, you won't regret it!

Offline inteli722

« Reply #458 on: Mon, 21 July 2014, 17:04:12 »

I am a student and I mostly use it for writing, but I do a bit of drawing as well, and I completely agree with Mr. BadAss for its worthiness in both those catagories. The only reason I haven't taken it to school is because I'd lose it and its expensive. If you don't mind the price, you really can't go wrong with the 600.
More

Leopold FC200 |  CoolerMaster QFP Browns | Quickfire Rapid Greens | Quickfire Rapid Blues

Offline Kraksx

« Reply #459 on: Mon, 21 July 2014, 17:13:26 »

I am a student and I mostly use it for writing, but I do a bit of drawing as well, and I completely agree with Mr. BadAss for its worthiness in both those catagories. The only reason I haven't taken it to school is because I'd lose it and its expensive. If you don't mind the price, you really can't go wrong with the 600.

Yeah I just wish I could find it at a local store

Poker II

Offline TLSC.wipeOut

• "Who dares, wins"
« Reply #460 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 09:51:12 »
I recently joined the drop on the Ti2 Pen, I'll see how that one goes =D
OTD 456GT with Lubricated 68g Gold Spring MX Clears and GMK Dolch Keycap set

WTB: KMAC2 kit

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #461 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 09:53:48 »
I'm an engineer/drafter and I use my 600s daily at work on drawings.
I am a student and I mostly use it for writing, but I do a bit of drawing as well, and I completely agree with Mr. BadAss for its worthiness in both those catagories.

Just for clarity's sake, I'm referring to blueprint drawings. Not artistic drawings.

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #462 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 10:07:33 »
I've been using the Lamy Safari line for a few years now. It's a nice enough pen that feels great to write with, but it's cheap enough that I won't feel bad if I lose it. I have a charcoal grey that was my entry into the world of fountain pens. Here's the one I'm currently using.

http://www.amazon.com/Lamy-Safari13-Fntn-Fine-Lime/dp/B0084F5IUA

As for pencils, I've had a Rotring 600 for going on 6 years now. Wonderful little device that I'm sure is going to last longer than I do.
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

B/S/T thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55351.0

Past projects: KBT Race 2 L.E.
Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline Kraksx

« Reply #463 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 15:26:56 »
I am a student and I mostly use it for writing, but I do a bit of drawing as well, and I completely agree with Mr. BadAss for its worthiness in both those catagories.

Just for clarity's sake, I'm referring to blueprint drawings. Not artistic drawings.

Alright, that actually did help! Thanks! :thumb:

Poker II

Offline inteli722

« Reply #464 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 20:25:26 »

I figured. I can't draw artistically, so I wasn't referring to anything resembling art either.
More

Offline Acknown3

• Not a keyboard addict
« Reply #465 on: Wed, 23 July 2014, 15:01:46 »
Uniball Signo for life!

I would love to try a more expensive pen though.
FC660C gray dyesub, gummyrot clack
FC660M cherry reds, Triumph Adler, blue aluminum case
Filco TKL cherry reds, white side-printed PBT
IBM Model F XT

Offline poeee

« Reply #466 on: Wed, 23 July 2014, 23:35:53 »
Uni Kuro Toga mechanical pencil.  It's what I use almost exclusively at work.  I do need to invest in one with a rubber/gel grip though.

I was a big fan of these when they came out..

They're great for writing short strokes..

I wish they'd make it possible to rotate itself for LONG strokes..

Most of what I use it for is numbers, so they are perfect.

Offline TostedAlmond

« Reply #467 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 01:27:31 »
Does anyone have a Namiki Vanishing point? Tried the search but nothing really came up. I wanted to get someone's opinion on it. I wanted that fountain pen for 4 years and I'm going back to school pretty soon so I need to hit up on some school supplies.
I just got one a couple days ago. It started off really dry and scratchy but it eventually became extremely smooth. It is an awesome pen. I now use that and my Rotring 800

Offline TostedAlmond

« Reply #468 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 01:31:31 »

Show Image

Yea i had a 600 and loved every second I used it. Then I lost it... :(
So I replaced it with the 800  ;D

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #469 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 17:28:51 »
I've always been a fan of the trusty ol' Bic Round Stic series of pens. They're cheap to buy, have a simple design with few moving parts, and are very reliable.

Advertisement
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline inteli722

« Reply #470 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 22:12:55 »
I've always been a fan of the trusty ol' Bic Round Stic series of pens. They're cheap to buy, have a simple design with few moving parts, and are very reliable.
Show Image

Advertisement
(Attachment Link)

Funny, I can only use those for making pen barrels fly.
More

Offline terrpn

• Alpha Geezer
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • - Buy Vintage -
« Reply #471 on: Sun, 27 July 2014, 15:19:39 »
Show Image

Advertisement
(Attachment Link)

i usually keep one around when somebody needs to borrow a pen knowing i won't get it back
More

Luga G80-1865/MX Reds + Dolch G80-1813/MX Blues + G80-3700HQAUS + DK9008G2 Pro/MX Browns Thick PBT + DK9008G2 Pro/MX Clears Thick PBT +  QFR TKL/Ghetto Greens + Cherry G80-1800/MX Blues + IBM Model M SSK Bolt Modded + IBM Model M + IBM Model F + IBM AT F + Cherry G80-1000 (HAD)/MX Vintage Blacks + Razer BWU/MX Blues + Leading Edge DC2214/Blue Alps + Compaq MX11800/Browns + Chicony 5181/Monterey Blues + Chicony 5161/MX Black Cherry Clone + Focus 2001/White Alps + Chicony 5191/White Futabas + Olivetti ANK27-101 + Dell (Old Logo) AT101/Black Alps + NMB RT8255C+/Black Space Invaders + Unitek K260/Green Alps + Apple M0116/Orange Alps + AEK II M3501/Cream Alps + AEK M0115/Orange Alps + NEC  APC412/Blue Sliders + NEC APC410/Blue Sliders + Omnikey /White Alps + Wang/Yellow Alps (Omrons) + Laser/White SMK + Fame/Blue Aruz + AEK II M3501/Salmon Alps + Zenith ZKB-2R/Green Alps + Wang 724/Orange Alps + DK1087/Green Alps + Zenith ZKB-2/Yellow Alps + Dell Old Logo AT101/Salmon-Pink Alps + Leading Edge AK1012/White SMK's + Magitronic SK-1030/White (Linear) Futaba's + Packard Bell/White (Clicky) Futaba's + Datacomp DFK101/White  Alps + SGI AT101/Dampened White Alps + NMB AQ6RT-72511/Grey Space Invaders (Hi-Tek) + Datacomp/Blue Alps + Phillips 2812/White Space Invaders (Linear) + Dah Yang K251/Vintage MX Blues + Chicony 5161/DS Caps/Vintage MX Blue + Archie-NMB AQ659ZRT-725/Black Space Invader (Tactile) + IBM Model M 71G4644 (RD) Bolt Modded with Soarers Converter + IBM Model M Silver Label 1390131 + Cherry G80-1501/Vintage MX Clears + Focus FK8000/Linear Futabas + Gateway 2000 Anykey Programmable/Maxi-Switch + Dell GY13PVAT101/Dye Sub Caps/Salmon Alps + Chicony 5161/White Alps + AST K0B101/Slider over RD + Qtronix QX-32H + Everex/NMB RT8255CW+ Black Space Invaders-Split Erase + Tandon/NMB AQ659ZRT-101A/Beige Space Invaders + Cherry G80-11903 MNRUS/MX Blacks + Apple IIGS A9M0330/SMK Whites + WYSE PCE/MX Blacks + Chicony 5160AXT/Clicky Futaba + Cherry G80-0528/Vintage MX Blacks + Dell AT101/Linear (Modded) Black Alps+Topre 55g

Offline ninjadoc

« Reply #472 on: Sun, 27 July 2014, 15:58:20 »
Right now I must admit I like my Conklin Herringbone Collection Orange/Black fountain pen. I know it is a new pen with a steel nib but I love the weight and feel of it.

Offline terrpn

• Alpha Geezer
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • - Buy Vintage -
« Reply #473 on: Sun, 27 July 2014, 19:54:36 »
 :eek:

congrats

great pen!

need to grab one of their mark twains...........
More

Luga G80-1865/MX Reds + Dolch G80-1813/MX Blues + G80-3700HQAUS + DK9008G2 Pro/MX Browns Thick PBT + DK9008G2 Pro/MX Clears Thick PBT +  QFR TKL/Ghetto Greens + Cherry G80-1800/MX Blues + IBM Model M SSK Bolt Modded + IBM Model M + IBM Model F + IBM AT F + Cherry G80-1000 (HAD)/MX Vintage Blacks + Razer BWU/MX Blues + Leading Edge DC2214/Blue Alps + Compaq MX11800/Browns + Chicony 5181/Monterey Blues + Chicony 5161/MX Black Cherry Clone + Focus 2001/White Alps + Chicony 5191/White Futabas + Olivetti ANK27-101 + Dell (Old Logo) AT101/Black Alps + NMB RT8255C+/Black Space Invaders + Unitek K260/Green Alps + Apple M0116/Orange Alps + AEK II M3501/Cream Alps + AEK M0115/Orange Alps + NEC  APC412/Blue Sliders + NEC APC410/Blue Sliders + Omnikey /White Alps + Wang/Yellow Alps (Omrons) + Laser/White SMK + Fame/Blue Aruz + AEK II M3501/Salmon Alps + Zenith ZKB-2R/Green Alps + Wang 724/Orange Alps + DK1087/Green Alps + Zenith ZKB-2/Yellow Alps + Dell Old Logo AT101/Salmon-Pink Alps + Leading Edge AK1012/White SMK's + Magitronic SK-1030/White (Linear) Futaba's + Packard Bell/White (Clicky) Futaba's + Datacomp DFK101/White  Alps + SGI AT101/Dampened White Alps + NMB AQ6RT-72511/Grey Space Invaders (Hi-Tek) + Datacomp/Blue Alps + Phillips 2812/White Space Invaders (Linear) + Dah Yang K251/Vintage MX Blues + Chicony 5161/DS Caps/Vintage MX Blue + Archie-NMB AQ659ZRT-725/Black Space Invader (Tactile) + IBM Model M 71G4644 (RD) Bolt Modded with Soarers Converter + IBM Model M Silver Label 1390131 + Cherry G80-1501/Vintage MX Clears + Focus FK8000/Linear Futabas + Gateway 2000 Anykey Programmable/Maxi-Switch + Dell GY13PVAT101/Dye Sub Caps/Salmon Alps + Chicony 5161/White Alps + AST K0B101/Slider over RD + Qtronix QX-32H + Everex/NMB RT8255CW+ Black Space Invaders-Split Erase + Tandon/NMB AQ659ZRT-101A/Beige Space Invaders + Cherry G80-11903 MNRUS/MX Blacks + Apple IIGS A9M0330/SMK Whites + WYSE PCE/MX Blacks + Chicony 5160AXT/Clicky Futaba + Cherry G80-0528/Vintage MX Blacks + Dell AT101/Linear (Modded) Black Alps+Topre 55g

Offline Senthura

• Your Doom
« Reply #474 on: Sun, 03 August 2014, 22:09:16 »
I like the metal Zebra mechanical pencils, but my go to is a fine point Sharpie pen. I think I accidentally fell in love with them.
Ducky Shine 3 TKL Blue switch & Green backlight

Offline pcandkbguy

« Reply #475 on: Mon, 04 August 2014, 07:24:09 »
bic matic grip mechanical is my go to pencil

also thinking about getting a luxury pen montblanc, parker duofold or montegrappa with a solid gold nibb

Offline terrpn

• Alpha Geezer
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • - Buy Vintage -
« Reply #476 on: Mon, 04 August 2014, 11:02:18 »
bic matic grip mechanical is my go to pencil

also thinking about getting a luxury pen montblanc, parker duofold or montegrappa with a solid gold nibb

considering the price of new parker duofolds i would grab a vintage one off ebay-- probably find one much cheaper and they all have 14k nibs ;D

just try to find one that has already been reburbished. they are what are called "button fillers"

i have new duofolds, vintage duofolds and even a couple custom made duofolds.............very nice fp with good weight and balance

More

Offline terrpn

• Alpha Geezer
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • - Buy Vintage -
« Reply #477 on: Mon, 04 August 2014, 11:04:25 »
oh yea..............the older montblanc 149's are made with brass innards........i recommend them over the newer ones
More

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #478 on: Mon, 04 August 2014, 11:07:11 »
I really like the Montblanc Meisterstuck 149 that I tried but I really can't justify the cost of it. :(

I also need to try a Duofold out.

Offline ShawnMeg

« Reply #479 on: Wed, 06 August 2014, 00:18:08 »
I've always had a fascination with mechnical pencils.  I had some of the old classic Pentels.  Since I'm no longer in school doing calculus, physics, chemistry, etc, there's not a need much for pencils for me.  Neither is writing in general, as I'm on a computer so much.

It's hard for me to justify spending a lot on a writing instrument, but some of my favorites:

1.  Fisher Astronaut Space Pen
2.  Kyocera Roller Ball (I can't remember the model #)
3.  Old Pentel Mechanical pencils (I can't remember any particular model numbers, but I liked the 0.5 and 0.7 mm lead)

I have quite a few Cross Pen/Pencils given to me over the years, which are OK.  The Cross mechnical pencil barrel feels a little thin for me to grip.
« Last Edit: Wed, 06 August 2014, 00:29:45 by ShawnMeg »

IBM Model F122 X 2 internal Soarer's || IBM Model M122 internal Soarer's || AEK II SKCM Salmon ALPS external adb_usb converter ||  AEK M0115 SKCM Orange ALPS click mod external adb_usb converter || AEK M0115 SKCM Salmon ALPS external adb_usb converter ||

Offline ShawnMeg

« Reply #480 on: Wed, 06 August 2014, 00:31:01 »
I've always had a fascination with mechnical pencils.  I had some of the old classic Pentels.  Since I'm no longer in school doing calculus, physics, chemistry, etc, there's not a need much for pencils for me.  Neither is writing in general, as I'm on a computer so much.

It's hard for me to justify spending a lot on a writing instrument, but some of my favorites:

1.  Fisher Astronaut Space Pen
2.  Kyocera Roller Ball (I can't remember the model #)
3.  Old Pentel Mechanical pencils (I can't remember any particular model numbers, but I liked the 0.5 and 0.7 mm lead)

I have quite a few Cross Pen/Pencils given to me over the years, which are OK.  The Cross Century mechnical pencil barrel feels a little thin for me to grip.

IBM Model F122 X 2 internal Soarer's || IBM Model M122 internal Soarer's || AEK II SKCM Salmon ALPS external adb_usb converter ||  AEK M0115 SKCM Orange ALPS click mod external adb_usb converter || AEK M0115 SKCM Salmon ALPS external adb_usb converter ||

Offline maatmouse

« Reply #481 on: Sun, 10 August 2014, 13:42:12 »
used fountain pens but I find they leak and I end up with lots of black ink on myself. V annoying.

I prefer to use Pilot V5 Hi-tec point gel pens. Very precise and now I can get them in a job lot from Amazon. Yesss....

Offline rush340

« Reply #482 on: Sun, 10 August 2014, 19:49:27 »
I love Zebra F-301s.  I also have a Safari fountain pen, but I don't use it too much any more.  The Zebras feel good and are cheap enough that I can buy a bunch, leave them around the house, and I'm not too sad when I lose one.

Offline Lingj

« Reply #483 on: Mon, 11 August 2014, 19:24:23 »
Looking to buy a new pencil for school since I lost my old one. I had the Kuru Toga Rotation Mechanical Pencil and I enjoyed using it. Was wondering how well it compared to the Rotring 600. Thoughts?

Offline inteli722

« Reply #484 on: Mon, 11 August 2014, 19:45:16 »
Looking to buy a new pencil for school since I lost my old one. I had the Kuru Toga Rotation Mechanical Pencil and I enjoyed using it. Was wondering how well it compared to the Rotring 600. Thoughts?

Well the Rotring doesn't rotate like the Kuru Toga does, so if that's important to you, then you should look elsewhere.

However, the Rotring is an extremely solid pencil, so if that's what you're looking for, then knock yourself out.
More

Offline GL1TCH3D

• Audiophile, tea lover and now keyboard hugger!
« Reply #485 on: Wed, 20 August 2014, 23:44:46 »
Currently my favorite pen! Bought it late last year:

Cross Year of the Snake Fountain Pen

Offline terrpn

• Alpha Geezer
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • - Buy Vintage -
« Reply #486 on: Tue, 26 August 2014, 19:51:58 »
Thought this thread could use a bump.........

2 of my "Parker 51's" I am kind of fond of and not your run of the mill 51

The navy blue has a custom "3 tined music nib" by the nibmeister himself John Mottishaw

The grey one is a .7 "cursive italic" once again modded or customized by John Mottishaw

They are both vac's with Blue Diamond caps and 14k nibs

Sorry for the lousy pictures..............should have taken earlier in the day when the sun was out

« Last Edit: Sat, 30 August 2014, 21:29:15 by terrpn »
More

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #487 on: Tue, 26 August 2014, 19:58:44 »
Yes, give me that cursive italic Parker 51  :eek:

Offline terrpn

• Alpha Geezer
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • - Buy Vintage -
« Reply #488 on: Tue, 26 August 2014, 20:20:28 »
More

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #489 on: Tue, 26 August 2014, 20:23:19 »
man i really want one of the new rose gold twsbi pens... but i dont need it :(
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #490 on: Tue, 26 August 2014, 20:34:52 »
TWBSI coming out with a 580 USA. Red cap, clear section and body, blue blind cap where the piston filler mechanism is. And then a USA flag on the end of the cap.

I've been really smitten with TWBSI Minis lately and I want that and the 580USA  :-X

Offline terrpn

• Alpha Geezer
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • - Buy Vintage -
« Reply #491 on: Tue, 26 August 2014, 20:37:50 »
is there a date when it is coming out?

i saw where the red/white/blues that came out earlier were all out of stock...............
More

Offline skcheng

• * Destiny Supporter
    • Tenafly Dentistry
« Reply #492 on: Tue, 26 August 2014, 20:38:05 »

The navy blue has a custom "3 tined music nib" by the nibmeister himself John Mottishaw

The grey one is a .07 "cursive italic" once again modded or customized by John Mottishaw

Sorry for the lousy pictures..............should have taken earlier in the day when the sun was out

Show Image

Show Image

I have a bunch of custom ground P51s.   Great pen and probably the most user friendly and reliable FP ever.   

Some of my standouts are my stubs by Greg Minuskin, and my Pendletons, which write SOOO nice .....

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #493 on: Tue, 26 August 2014, 20:42:39 »
is there a date when it is coming out?

i saw where the red/white/blues that came out earlier were all out of stock...............

http://www.twsbi.com/collections/fountain-pens/products/twsbi-diamond-580rb just fine seems to be out of stock

also, not a fan of this color way. usually im a sucker for r/w/b but here it just seems... off.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline terrpn

• Alpha Geezer
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • - Buy Vintage -
« Reply #494 on: Tue, 26 August 2014, 20:47:32 »

The grey one is a .07 "cursive italic" once again modded or customized by John Mottishaw

Show Image

Show Image

I have a bunch of custom ground P51s.   Great pen and probably the most user friendly and reliable FP ever.   

Some of my standouts are my stubs by Greg Minuskin, and my Pendletons, which write SOOO nice .....

have not heard that name in a long time...............kind of been out of the hobby

is the pendleton from sam at pendemonium?
More

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #495 on: Wed, 27 August 2014, 05:19:08 »

You're into fountain pens too?! We need to talk! :D

I was actually just lamenting that I thought Parker 51s were a bit over hyped. It is quite user friendly though. Fits nicely in hand and to me, writes a lot like a ballpoint.

http://pendletonspens.com

Offline skcheng

• * Destiny Supporter
    • Tenafly Dentistry
« Reply #496 on: Wed, 27 August 2014, 05:37:34 »

Show Image

Show Image

have not heard that name in a long time...............kind of been out of the hobby

http://pendletonspens.com/

You need to try his:   Pendleton Point Elegant Butter-line Stub~Italic

Really fun to write with!! 

I like Mottishaw's work as well.    Have a bunch of his Nakaya pens.   I stopped buying those for the time being since I'm buying keyboards and artisan caps instead!! 

Offline skcheng

• * Destiny Supporter
    • Tenafly Dentistry
« Reply #497 on: Wed, 27 August 2014, 05:58:01 »

You're into fountain pens too?! We need to talk! :D

I was actually just lamenting that I thought Parker 51s were a bit over hyped. It is quite user friendly though. Fits nicely in hand and to me, writes a lot like a ballpoint.

http://pendletonspens.com

You must have a "sucky" P51 then LOL!!   But seriously, the P51 is a hard, non-flex nib and a standard pen shape which can be construed as boring.   But some of my P51s and customized P51s are my all time favorite pens. 

And I like both the Vacumatic and the Aerometric variants.   I think I have about 100 of them LOL!! 

I'm also a big fan of vintage Montblanc pens, but they start to get VERY expensive VERY quickly.    Especially if you're after the early celluloids.   

Some awful potato pics of one sleeve of P51s:

Some of these were "free" while others were quite expensive.   Worse than collecting caps ..... I promise.   Always a variant you can't find ....... anywhere. 

And one of my newest pens.   A custom Thompson Titanium Duofold with a Greg Minuskin ground stub.    I have about 10 different Duofold Centennial nibs that were tuned by Minuskin, Binder or left Stock.   Stock Duofolds write well, but aren't really too interesting.    And my hand writing is terrible, so I could use some help.   Give me a cursive Italic, a Stub, or a Music nib and I'm happy!!

I have two of these.   An earlier Centennial and a newer one    ;D ;D :thumb: :thumb:

These are a bit heavy for the thin dress shirt pocket, but they are super cool and great writers!! 

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #498 on: Wed, 27 August 2014, 06:01:49 »
My dude collects everything!

That is pretty awesome. Next time we trade, I want a nice hand-written note instead of a toothbrush (which is already being put to good use, though).
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline iri

« Reply #499 on: Wed, 27 August 2014, 06:04:01 »
why can't i buy a cheap decent p51 to use as a daily driver? because guys like skcheng bought them all to store in pen cases! :p
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury