Author Topic: Need pen advice  (Read 1515 times)

Offline Geroximo

Need pen advice
« on: Tue, 17 February 2015, 09:13:26 »
Hi,
I have to write a lot for my studies and in the upcoming tests. I need a proper pen now and don't have a clue what to look for.
I already read the following topic:
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=32027.30
It showed me some nice pens, but in the end, I still don't know which to pick, because I don't know which criteria are making a pen superior to others.
I prefer Ballpoint or Rollerball over Fountain pens. That's pretty much all I know.

Can some Pen-experts tell me what to look for when buying a good pen?

Offline inanis

• Truly Literally The Cloud
  • * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
Re: Need pen advice
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 17 February 2015, 09:20:01 »
I have quite a few pens that I enjoy writing with. My go-to pen is my Mont Blanc Stargazer. It is really wonderful. That pen might be a bit much to start out with though. So, what I would suggest is that you don't necessarily need a super expensive pen, even something like a Pilot G2 is nice - and if you want to up your ink game, with a little modification you get get Mont Blanc refills in there. What matters quite a bit when writing is the paper. You could have the worlds best pen, but if you are writing on crap paper, it is not going to be all that great. Get a Rhodia notebook (or something similar, but I like Rhodia the best). That is going to make writing worthwhile, pretty much no matter what pen you choose.
Some hearts are gallows, I'm not here for hangin' around

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 17 February 2015, 10:04:32 »
Just like you pick a keyboard to suit your personal needs, you'll want to pick a pen for your personal needs. No one but you can tell you that. For example, I could tell you that a gold nib on a fountain pen makes for a superior writing experience. But if that doesn't fit your needs, you won't be happy with that decision. So you need to figure out what you're looking for. You've figured out that you don't want a fountain pen. That's a good start.

Do you want to be able to refill the pen? Do you care about which cartridges you use? Do you care how thick or thin the pen is? Do you want a certain material? Do you have a budget?

These are all some questions that you may want to look into. Or maybe not. No one can tell you what you need better than you can.

For me, the first thing I check for in a pen is how it fits in my hand. I don't like thin pens and I don't like very long pens. They don't fit my hand well. I also try and figure out how the pen feels when I hold it. If it's slick or uncomfortable to hold in my writing style, I don't want it. Other important aspects for me are material, section shape, colorway, durability, and usage. I also highly highly suggest you going to a stationary or pen store to try it for yourself. I find moreso that boards, a pen is very specific to you. No one writes exactly the same so how I hold a pen and write will influence my thoughts with it.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 17 February 2015, 21:15:40 »
Fking..  THis is the type of Consumerist Bull **** I wish the addicts around here would stop pushing on people..

Focus on your damn test... you don't need to think about the pen you're going to use..

You think that will raise your score ?

You think a new keyboard will make you game better ?

What makes a difference..  Time spent studying vs time spent finding a pen..

A pen amongst the hundreds you probably already own..

Offline Geroximo

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 07:13:53 »
I'll have to write for 5 hours straight, 5 days a week during exams. Sure you could do it with any cheap pen, but it won't be fun anymore once your fingers start hurting and/or cramping.
And I know that it happens with cheap pens because I experienced it.
For example the Pilot G2. The grooves of the rubberized grip are hurting my fingers. I cannot write with this. I know that, because I have one.
So it surely makes a difference.
I'm just looking for a nice pen under 50$ that won't hurt my fingers and won't tire my hand so quickly.

I like the analogy to the keyswitches. I can relate to that. I just hoped there would be some objective criteria I could base my search on. But if it's really all personal preference, I'll probably just have to try some pens and then decide for myself.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 07:40:43 »
Generally ANY writing for extended periods of time will hurt your fingers..

The gel-grips are a little better for that..

But there's also the issue of Technique..

Finger pain is often worse if you're a finger-writer, which means you make most of the strokes with your fingers rather than wrist/arm motion..

It comes down to applying less unnecessary force..

Much like people who type and hold rather than let up..  "check out the compendium of speed guide for proper typing techniques"..

writing works the same way..  some people will make a stroke, but keep their grip very tight..

You only need to grip tightly while making the stroke,  but after the stroke is done, there should be a small relax of the hand..

NO PEN will fix these technique issues for you.

Offline inanis

• Truly Literally The Cloud
  • * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 07:50:12 »
Generally ANY writing for extended periods of time will hurt your fingers..

The gel-grips are a little better for that..

But there's also the issue of Technique..

Finger pain is often worse if you're a finger-writer, which means you make most of the strokes with your fingers rather than wrist/arm motion..

It comes down to applying less unnecessary force..

Much like people who type and hold rather than let up..  "check out the compendium of speed guide for proper typing techniques"..

writing works the same way..  some people will make a stroke, but keep their grip very tight..

You only need to grip tightly while making the stroke,  but after the stroke is done, there should be a small relax of the hand..

NO PEN will fix these technique issues for you.

I....I....actually agree with TP.  :-X

A pen that you feel comfortable holding can make some difference, but yeah, after a while writing is going to get uncomfortable, particularly when you apply too much pressure - which is extraordinarily common. Using a pen that can 'glide' and allow you to use less pressure (like a fountain pen with a good nib, as an example) can help with this. Or, using good paper, which requires less pressure can also help - I really can't recommend good paper enough. That has made more of a difference form me than any pen I have used, and I like my pens!

I am by no means an expert. But I do write a lot, and I have several pens at different price points at my disposal. If you write for extended periods of time, try to get something that isn't too heavy and something that feels comfortable to you. Like CPT so correctly pointed out, choosing a pen is very subjective, much like choosing a keyboard.
Some hearts are gallows, I'm not here for hangin' around

Offline Geroximo

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 08:47:48 »
Ye, i can see your point and I understand that there is no pen that will magically make extensive writing a joy. But I'm having a Pilot G2 right now, and a) the rubber grip is hurting my fingers and b) the gel ink rollerball will only write if I'm applying a specific amount of pressure and angle.
So this pen just won't allow me to write painless and is forcing me to put pressure on it. Therefore I need another one.
I just don't know which one yet.
It's not like I want to go crazy on it, like $400-Mont Blanc crazy.
I just want to spend my money wisely when trying a new pen, you know

Offline DrHubblePhD

• I am star stuff
  • Location: Observable Universe, Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way Galaxy, Solar System, Planet Earth
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 09:07:03 »
I never pegged TP4 being againsts people wanting nice things...

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 09:48:24 »
I never pegged TP4 being againsts people wanting nice things...

I'm not against people wanting nice things they can actually USE or don't currently have 100000x of already