Author Topic: 4k Tv question  (Read 2017 times)

Offline Jixr

4k Tv question
« on: Mon, 24 August 2015, 09:08:52 »
hey all, don't really know where to seek answers for  tv stuff, but i'll ask here

Basically i've just been making use of my 1440 monitors for movies, but I want something a bit bigger and more emmersive, and was thinking of buying a new tv ( I haven't had one in probably 8 years )

I found a vizio 50" 4k tv for $750, a bit more than I was looking to spend, but it seems like getting a 1080 would get outdated very quick, and mid level 1080's are not much less expensive than the one i'm looking at.

Anyone have any suggestions for 4k tv's? go for it? hold off for a bit longer? just get 1080?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: 4k Tv question
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 24 August 2015, 09:33:23 »
Well.. ok.. so basically today the  3840x2160 resolution on the next-gen bluray is confirmed..

So, you don't have to wait for 4096 vs 3840 anymore..

I'd say it's time to get 4k..

HOWEVER,  ULMB isn't anywhere close to happening on 4k,  bandwidth requirement is way up there.

sigh.............

pretty much 2k + ips + ulmb  is the best overall monitor you can get "TODAY" and for the next 2 years.

if you get 4k,  you won't be able to get anything with ulmb..

Without ULMB,  essentially, everything you watch has dramatically reduced MOTION clarity..

Difference is NIGHT and DAY..

Offline Jixr

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 24 August 2015, 10:07:14 »
sorry, to clarify, I'll continue using my monitors for daily computing, but the tv would be hooked up to my computer for movie watching, not as a dedicated monitor. ( though I would like to make sure it can run true 60hz at 4k with this tv. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/vizio-m-series-50-class-49-5-diag--led-2160p-smart-4k-ultra-hd-tv-black/3733031.p?id=1219597974184&skuId=3733031
Computer is running a gtx 970 so it can push 4k fine for non gaming stuff.

I also know there is limited 4k content right now, and lots of upcoming 4k content is just been scaled in post, but seeing as how I'll have this tv for the next 5 years or so, i'd like to make sure I get the right one.

Price is a little high for me, but putting half on a CC with 0% for 12 months and a 15 day return policy is rather tempting.
Even the 1080 tv's at that size are still in the $4-500 range. So for 4k for $250 more isn't that bad.
« Last Edit: Mon, 24 August 2015, 10:16:34 by Jixr »

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 24 August 2015, 10:15:48 »
Don't get a 4K screen. They are ridiculously expensive. Ultra-HD is almost the same resolution and there are more options at much better prices. :-Þ

Don't get a too high image resolution for the size and viewing distance you are planning. If the screen is too small / you are sitting too far away .. or even if your eye sight is not perfect, then Ultra-HD will not be worth it.
There are a bunch of charts available on the web for finding that out.

Offline Jixr

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 24 August 2015, 10:23:49 »
Don't get a 4K screen. They are ridiculously expensive. Ultra-HD is almost the same resolution and there are more options at much better prices. :-Þ

Don't get a too high image resolution for the size and viewing distance you are planning. If the screen is too small / you are sitting too far away .. or even if your eye sight is not perfect, then Ultra-HD will not be worth it.
There are a bunch of charts available on the web for finding that out.

Sorry, yes the tv i'm looking at is UHD not true 4k ( hate the naming system for that )

I'm figuring 50" at 4k would be prefect for my small apartment, as I would be sitting quite close, but feel like anything smaller than 50" I may as well just continue using my monitors to watch movies.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 24 August 2015, 10:31:05 »
since we don't have the 4k content YET..  it doesn't really make sense to buy it NAO,  UNLESS you must play ur Dota @ 4k..

If that's not what you're after..  1080p vs 4k won't make a difference..

also.. I really don't recommend any TV under $1500.

The reason is,  it's not just about the brand..  the driver chips that works behind the tv panel makes a huge difference as well.   I'm not talking about your pc..   I'm talking about the processors in the TV.

The cheaper panels cut many corners here to meet the low price target..   Performance/accuracy/fidelity can be significantly worse..

Offline Jixr

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 24 August 2015, 10:45:54 »
and I feel that spending more than $1000 on a tv is insane.

While i get the benefits of the more expensive tv's, I have to be realistic with my budget. i'm not exactly balling out of control.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 24 August 2015, 12:21:30 »
and I feel that spending more than $1000 on a tv is insane.

While i get the benefits of the more expensive tv's, I have to be realistic with my budget. i'm not exactly balling out of control.

Ok, here's the thing...

So you don't have the new TV,  YET,   right?

So,   if you just WAIT, and save for a bit longer..  How does that $750 budget not double in say 3 months time..

Why can't you just hold out until $1500..

I don't understand why the TV --MUST BE-- under $1000..

If you said, hai Tp,   TODAY, I only have $750,  that makes sense..

But  in 3 months,  you will have $1500, if you don't spend that $750 today..

So what's the problem..

Offline Jixr

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 24 August 2015, 13:28:29 »
i have more than $750, and in 3 months time i'll have more, but still wouldn't spend more than that on a tv.
My budget my double, but my paycheck won't. I still have bills to pay and mouths to feed.
I could easily go buy a $1500 tv today if I wanted, but i'm not going to spend that much for a tv, when I get one for half that price thats 80% as good.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 24 August 2015, 13:31:17 »
i have more than $750, and in 3 months time i'll have more, but still wouldn't spend more than that on a tv.
My budget my double, but my paycheck won't. I still have bills to pay and mouths to feed.
I could easily go buy a $1500 tv today if I wanted, but i'm not going to spend that much for a tv, when I get one for half that price thats 80% as good.

It's hard to say what % good the cheaper tv is.

I guess if you MUST save money , at least make sure it has real 8bit/10bit processing and isn't dithered.

Offline GL1TCH3D

• Audiophile, tea lover and now keyboard hugger!
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 25 August 2015, 13:06:59 »
The issue is similar in headphones

Some people are fine buying 1.5k headphones and others max out at $75 headphones or less.

TP, you may feel that doubling the budget will result in a quality increase well worth the money while someone else might be perfectly happy with the lower quality.

In my personal opinion, I don't thing it's worth it to cheap out on a 4k TV.

If you're not in a rush, just wait.

Prices continue to decrease as newer technologies and efficiencies come out for consumer products.

The $800 TV you'll buy today might only be worth $500 or less by the time there's a decent source of 4k material.

In this case I'd side with TP to wait it out and put a bit more money in once 4k reaches a point where content is more accessible and available

Offline Jixr

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 26 August 2015, 11:35:18 »
well found the catch, to connect a 4k tv to my current setup, it has a lot of hidden cost.

I'd need to buy new hdmi 2.0 cables, my reciever would have to be jerry rigged to my tv since its hdmi ports are not 4k friendly, and a few other things, so I'm going to hold of on 4k for now, may end up just going to pick up a cheaper 1080 tv that will be good enough for a few years until going all in for a 4k experience is cheaper for me.