Author Topic: Seeking advice on monitors  (Read 3775 times)

Offline fknraiden

Seeking advice on monitors
« on: Fri, 16 October 2015, 01:32:56 »
hiya guys.
so im biting the bullet and getting a new desktop. i've been on a laptop for a while now.
I've got all my parts picked out and they are kinda hovering in my cart.

Only thing I'm undecided on is a monitor.
It would be nice to get your opinions on options, what I've been looking at so far.
4k: I'd like to get one, but I feel that I could get a good deal on black friday.(worth?)
2k: They are nicer than 1080, but are much more expensive and pretty close to entry level 4k.
1080p: I was thinking about staying with one of these and maybe get 144hz. This would turn into a second screen if I were to hold out on 4k til black friday.

I'm building this tower to actually be able to play games on very high/extreme that were made this decade. I do watch a lot of movies and television, and I'm hoping 4k becomes a standard and would give my 4k options a decent future-proofing.

Let me know if your opinion requires a component list. I have already purchased a GTX 970.(see my great finds post)

IBM SSK 87'     ReAlForce 55g Silent 10AE

Offline raymogi

Re: Seeking advice on monitors
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 16 October 2015, 01:39:17 »
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236405

Best gaming monitor right now IMO.

Or if you can wait for a bit, they're going to release an update to the Swift soon.
Please feed my addiction.

Offline fknraiden

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 16 October 2015, 01:41:54 »
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236405

Best gaming monitor right now IMO.

Or if you can wait for a bit, they're going to release an update to the Swift soon.

yeah, i've seen that.
Unfortunately. 700 is way too much for my budget.
I would get a very nice 4k for that price.

Offline Jokrik

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 16 October 2015, 02:05:35 »
Ok good sir, let me break it down for you

first thing first is that your major concern is to play games at the highest setting, for that I need to know which graphic cards and processor you are going with
and from there we can decide as which monitor resolution you can max out

secondly you need to know various monitor panel, there are basically two main one
TN: High refresh rate (can hit 144hz), more affordable, but color is less sharp/accurate and viewing angle sucks
IPS/PLS: usually stay around 60hz refresh rate (some korean brand like QNIX QX2710 can be overclocked up to 120hz, I tried myself), more expensive, and color is a lot better

from that two things we can basically start to choose which one is more suitable for your
need price tag and the website you usually shop at too
Women always figure out the truth. Always. - Han Solo

Offline fknraiden

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 16 October 2015, 02:13:43 »

first thing first is that your major concern is to play games at the highest setting, for that I need to know which graphic cards and processor you are going with

secondly you need to know various monitor panel, there are basically two main one
TN: High refresh rate (can hit 144hz), more affordable, but color is less sharp/accurate and viewing angle sucks
IPS/PLS: usually stay around 60hz refresh rate (some korean brand like QNIX QX2710 can be overclocked up to 120hz, I tried myself), more expensive, and color is a lot better

from that two things we can basically start to choose which one is more suitable for your

thank you
I usually shop on newegg. 450 is my max, I'd love to stay around 4.

Intel Skylake 3.2ghz
asrock z170 mobo
corsair ddr4 PC3000 16gb
Asus gtx 970 strix(OC)
EDIT: 400 only if i'd be better off going higher res.
« Last Edit: Fri, 16 October 2015, 02:25:27 by fknraiden »

Offline Jokrik

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 16 October 2015, 02:24:32 »

thank you

Intel Skylake 3.2ghz
asrock z170 mobo
corsair ddr4 PC3000 16gb
Asus gtx 970 strix(OC)

Ok,
with that spec I think you can only max out/very high setting games with 1080p
1440p is already pretty tough yet 4k, to give you the picture I use 2 x r9 290 and at some games I can't even max out with 1440p screen

there are a couple of ways you can do this
1. get a good well known brand 1080p 120hz monitor like this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824014375&cm_re=BENQ-_-24-014-375-_-Product

2. get a not so well known brand 1440p like this :
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=qnix&N=-1&isNodeId=1

It's your choice :) but for me 27" 1440p is the sweet spot, and the QNIX use IPS panel already and you might wanna learn how to OC the QNIX as it's not hard at all

Offline fknraiden

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 16 October 2015, 02:28:29 »

thank you

Intel Skylake 3.2ghz
asrock z170 mobo
corsair ddr4 PC3000 16gb
Asus gtx 970 strix(OC)

Ok,
1440p is already pretty tough yet 4k, to give you the picture I use 2 x r9 290 and at some games I can't even max out with 1440p screen

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824014375&cm_re=BENQ-_-24-014-375-_-Product

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=qnix&N=-1&isNodeId=1

It's your choice :) but for me 27" 1440p is the sweet spot, and the QNIX use IPS panel already and you might wanna learn how to OC the QNIX as it's not hard at all

thats what I was thinking, didn't expect to be able to max 4k.

Do you think this is a pretty safe bet?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236313

Offline Jokrik

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 16 October 2015, 02:38:57 »

thank you

Intel Skylake 3.2ghz
asrock z170 mobo
corsair ddr4 PC3000 16gb
Asus gtx 970 strix(OC)

Ok,

thats what I was thinking, didn't expect to be able to max 4k.

Do you think this is a pretty safe bet?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236313

You won't go wrong with that,
I'm sorry but I think I gave you the wrong 1080p benq link above, what I meant was
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824014370&cm_re=benq_24-_-24-014-370-_-Product

so either that Asus or the Benq

Offline fknraiden

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 16 October 2015, 02:42:55 »
I'm sorry but I think I gave you the wrong 1080p benq link above, what I meant was
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824014370&cm_re=benq_24-_-24-014-370-_-Product

ah, makes more sense =P
do you see any serious benefit of an ips over a hn panel?
if im always going to be sitting directly in front of it?

Offline Jokrik

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 16 October 2015, 02:51:01 »

ah, makes more sense =P

how can I put it...

HECK YEAH

lol
especially if its sRGB calibrated, I will sacrifice 120hz for better color
unless you are a very competitive gamer, than 120hz is the way

and you've to know that there is no such thing as future proofing, the pc tech is just way too fast to keep up
look back a year ago and see what we have as hardware options now, they improved way too fast
this is why I've been holding back to upgrade my monitor for now

Offline fknraiden

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 16 October 2015, 02:55:37 »

ah, makes more sense =P

how can I put it...

HECK YEAH

lol
especially if its sRGB calibrated, I will sacrifice 120hz for better color
unless you are a very competitive gamer, than 120hz is the way

and you've to know that there is no such thing as future proofing, the pc tech is just way too fast to keep up
look back a year ago and see what we have as hardware options now, so much different
this is why I've been holding back to upgrade my monitor for now

not hard core gamer, enthusiast xD
i meant more in the sense of media standard. as in 1080p being the most common "premium" in tv and movies. looking forward in that sense.
tech evolves at a rate that is impossible to maintain relevancy without a serious salary or vast wealth.

Offline Jokrik

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 16 October 2015, 02:56:45 »

not hard core gamer, enthusiast xD
i meant more in the sense of media standard. as in 1080p being the most common "premium" in tv and movies. looking forward in that sense.
tech evolves at a rate that is impossible to maintain relevancy without a serious salary or vast wealth.

I can't agree more :)
Lets us know which opt did you go

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 16 October 2015, 05:09:02 »
Well,  for $450,  hrrmm..

OK,  so upcoming monitors will be IPS (good color) + ULMB (120hz+ flashing backlight)..  that is essentially what All the Gamers have been waiting for..   But it won't be anywhere Near $450,  more like $800-1000

Now, if you get a $450 monitor today,  you will have to choose between a Budget IPS (with manufacturing flaws, defects)..   OR a gam3r oriented TN panel (Which will have ULMB), but they kinda have really ****ty color..

don't worry about 4k,  that's not in the cards at all for $450,   even for $700, LOLOL..

Any good/worthwhile 4k monitor will be at least $800-1500..

You may find a 4k TV, as long as it supports 4:4:4 , it should work alrite for a monitor.  but I doubt it's going to be a very good panel @ ~$1000

Don't bother with anything 4k under $1000,  they're really crappy..

Offline Jokrik

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 16 October 2015, 07:43:14 »
Well,  for $450,  hrrmm..

OK,  so upcoming monitors will be IPS (good color) + ULMB (120hz+ flashing backlight)..  that is essentially what All the Gamers have been waiting for..   But it won't be anywhere Near $450,  more like $800-1000

Now, if you get a $450 monitor today,  you will have to choose between a Budget IPS (with manufacturing flaws, defects)..   OR a gam3r oriented TN panel (Which will have ULMB), but they kinda have really ****ty color..

don't worry about 4k,  that's not in the cards at all for $450,   even for $700, LOLOL..

Any good/worthwhile 4k monitor will be at least $800-1500..

You may find a 4k TV, as long as it supports 4:4:4 , it should work alrite for a monitor.  but I doubt it's going to be a very good panel @ ~$1000

Don't bother with anything 4k under $1000,  they're really crappy..
How's CRT in China working for you?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 16 October 2015, 08:30:38 »

How's CRT in China working for you?

Most people got LCDs

But I'd say the majority of the people are n00bers,  so they're quite keyboard illiterate.. many of them only use the mouse..

One of my Cousins (male, sry guys) is an Otaku,  he's the only non-n00ber in the family tech-wise.

Not that many CRTs around.. Electricity is expensive, so most people have switched..

Also of course there are the pho n00bs, that only use their smartpho..

Currently I'm running two laptops, my desktop is not setup yet.

Offline slushi

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 16 October 2015, 11:56:59 »
I used to have surround 27inch 1440p korean monitors, but switched to 2x Dell u2414h's. I found that most of the time, I would be using one monitor as a main for gaming and 1 for browsing. The third monitor was usually just having some movie/tv show in the background. Since I don't really need that 3rd monitor, I ended up swapping to smaller ones for cleaner bezels a smaller cleaner desk setup.

If I had to do it again, I think I would still go with at least 1 24inch monitor and maybe swap to the Asus ROG Swift mentioned above for gaming. I really don't like gaming on bigger than 27 just because the real estate on the game is too big. Lastly, it's just too expensive to get cards that will power 4k at high settings.

EDIT: I currently 1 u2414h in portrait for browsing, etc.

HHKB Pro 2

Offline Kerpadge

« Reply #16 on: Sun, 25 October 2015, 13:29:34 »
If you are looking for a 4k monitor then I would recommend looking at the Korean monitors that are out right now. Tek Syndicate has a few different reviews of the more popular models (some of which have Freesync and are overlockable at 1080p). Below is a video discussing the most affordable 4k monitor they discussed and the benefits of getting a 40 inch monitor for 4k (essentially, no scaling is needed). I'd also keep a watch on the buildapcsales subreddit.

Offline RenegadeParadox

« Reply #17 on: Sun, 25 October 2015, 20:38:57 »
I run two 27 1440p monitors and I love them! I also have a 120hz monitor that I use as my main for gaming but if I was to only have one monitor I would absolutely go with the 1440p. While I think gaming on 120Hz is amazing for smooth motion I can't go back to watching media (when available) on the 1440p. I would say 4k isn't really needed and since Microsoft has bad scaling issues with super high resolutions I would warn not to spend that much when they are years away from being adopted into the mainstream. !440p gaming also is very pretty, so unless you are playing super competitive FPS games that would be my recommendation.

Offline Kola93

« Reply #18 on: Sun, 25 October 2015, 22:47:18 »
I know this is a little out of your budget, but the absolute best monitor (that has ever been made to this day) is coming out soon at a price point of about $800.

Asus PG279Q has 144Hz (can be overclocked to 165Hz with a Nvidia GTX 9XX card), IPS panel and works with G-Sync.

Now, you might ask, why is this good?

Prior to this, you always had to make a compromise.
If you wanted 1440p, you were stuck with 60Hz, but still have the option of an IPS panel.
If you wanted 120Hz or 144Hz, you were stuck with a crappy TN panel, and horrible colours.

This is the first time in history that we are offered a monitor that lets you have your cake and eat it too. ^-^

Great image quality, colours, and super smooth/fast fluidity that will make gaming, movie watching, and almost everything look great.

I was fortunate enough to have seen it in person when I was in Japan earlier this year, and was very impressed.

Offline MaNiFeX

• Wu Tang Killa Keebs
    • MaNiFeX.net
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 06 November 2015, 10:53:13 »
You pull the trigger yet!?

Offline arcvile

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 09 November 2015, 08:48:51 »
If you pull the trigger and play anything in terms of video games a 144Hz monitor is a must. I made the transition about 4 months ago and would never go back. In the mean time 4 people who have played on my rig have been forced to fork over the money to replace their displays to get that silky smooth 144Hz feel.
« Last Edit: Mon, 09 November 2015, 13:38:08 by arcvile »

Offline treefinger

« Reply #21 on: Mon, 09 November 2015, 09:49:58 »
If you do a lot of gaming, I also endorse the 144hz monitor - the difference between 60/75hz and 144hz is staggering. I'm currently using this monitor. I would recommend you check out the blurbusters forums for some more in-depth information on this and any monitor, there are also plenty of helpful posts for configuring settings post-purchase . :thumb:

« Reply #22 on: Mon, 09 November 2015, 12:20:28 »
If you pull the trigger and play anything in terms of video games a 144Hz monitor is a must. I made the transition about 4 months ago and would never go back. In the mean time 4 people who have played on my rig have been forced to fork over the money to replay their displays to get that silky smooth 144Hz feel.

Do you notice the 144hz in things other than just games?

Offline arcvile

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 09 November 2015, 13:26:16 »
anything that is capable of displaying over 60Hz will benefit from this but really the only things that really utilize this is anything that can be rendered. So Games and possibly demos in engines but it so worth it!

Offline shibataken

« Reply #24 on: Tue, 10 November 2015, 13:46:38 »
Depending on the game a 970 will struggle at 4k. You won't be maxing the newest titles at 4k.  1080p will be a piece of cake for it though.