Author Topic: 金鑫 POKER 2 Keycap Review  (Read 5948 times)

Offline mr. rampage

金鑫 POKER 2 Keycap Review
« on: Tue, 24 September 2013, 19:35:55 »
金鑫 POKER 2 Keycap Review
This is a review for the keycaps available here which I purchased through Qtan from his website. I currently use a Poker 2 keyboard as my daily driver at the office. However, being picky, I wanted to get rid of that "Enjoy your feeling" logo from my spacebar and went out to purchase some keycaps. What I expected was yellow keycaps with the same quality as the stock Poker 2 keycaps. However, I was slightly disappointed with what I received. Nevertheless, I would say that the price was fair, although it would be nicer around the $45-50 mark. Dealing with Qtan was great and I will continue to make purchases from him in the future. Overall, I give these key caps a 7/10 as I didn't enjoy the feeling as much.

Purchasing
The total package cost $58 USD and shipping took about one and a half months. The original package took 2 weeks to ship, but was sent to the wrong address. Yes, someone with the same name as me in another city got a free set of keycaps! Sorting out that took a while, then shipping took another 2 weeks for the second package. Dealing with Qtan was simple and he responded within 24 hours each time.

Packaging
Qtan does a great job to make sure that your keycaps are well protected and in good order when they arrive. Below are some images of the packaging. As you can see they are well packaged.

The Keycaps
The keycaps are PBT. However, they are thinner than the standard keycaps that come with the Poker 2. The legends are also not lasered etched as the original. The thinner keycaps causes the noise coming from the caps to be slightly higher pitched when bottoming out. As well, typing on them does not seem as solid.

Keycaps passes the "water" test.

Yellow keycaps compared to the stock Poker 2 keycaps. You can clearly see how much thicker the stock keys are.

This is an image of the keycap thickness compared to a stock Filco ABS keycap just for reference.

The legends are most likely dyed on. Time will tell how long it will take before they fade.

There are some quality control issues as well. The spacebar is a bit warped. Compared to the stock spacebar which sits flat on the table.

The colour of the keycaps are slightly darker than your standard post-it note. I was pretty happy with the colour. It is suspected that these are white keycaps dyed yellow. The dying process does appear well done and there aren't any inconsistencies found on the keycaps.

Final Product

Offline kenmai9

• Unicornforce
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Skrrr
Re: 金鑫 POKER 2 Keycap Review
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 24 September 2013, 20:05:26 »
Disappointing that they're that thin. Nice review.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 24 September 2013, 20:26:30 »
I particularly like these, most people know why :)

Thanks for the great review!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline V1ral

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 24 September 2013, 22:33:10 »
Wow, I'm surprised you didn't find any scratches on your set. I got the same ones but in green, and they had quite a few noticeable inconsistencies in the dye.

Offline acer589

• Gotta get out of college
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 24 September 2013, 23:10:18 »
Thanks a bunch, I was considering grabbing some of those, but now... maybe not so much

Oh, and Kenmai! Where'd you get those keycaps. I don't want the same color combo, but something in that vein.
MX Blue Black Widow Ultimate    MX Black Quickfire Rapid TKL    MX Black Poker II

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 24 September 2013, 23:29:29 »
Lol, that space bar warping is nothing. 

Check out this space bar I just got:

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 24 September 2013, 23:42:12 »

Show Image

Looks excited!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 24 September 2013, 23:49:10 »

Show Image

Looks excited!

XD 

Also looks like a smile when I'm done touching it ;D

Offline theeattre

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 25 September 2013, 00:19:50 »
water test?

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 25 September 2013, 00:21:14 »
PBT space bars are always warped.  A hair dryer and a heavy book should do the trick.

Offline Austin Powers

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 25 September 2013, 00:56:43 »
PBT space bars are always warped.  A hair dryer and a heavy book should do the trick.

One question, if I put the heavy book on the spacebar surface and blow them with hair dryer, do the surface gets flat after the spacebar is cooled? Though the spacebar is straight, I'm just worried that the top surface will get flat after it is cooled.
« Last Edit: Wed, 25 September 2013, 00:58:44 by Austin Powers »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 25 September 2013, 01:03:32 »

One question, if I put the heavy book on the spacebar surface and blow them with hair dryer, do the surface gets flat after the spacebar is cooled? Though the spacebar is straight, I'm just worried that the top surface will get flat after it is cooled.

Do not heat it up that much, just enough to soften the plastic very slightly, so that the weight above can hold it straight.

Offline mr. rampage

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 25 September 2013, 08:45:47 »

Oh that's a great trick! Thanks. I'll have to try that.

Offline mr. rampage

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 25 September 2013, 08:47:00 »
water test?

PBT keycaps sink in water. ABS keycaps float. At first I thought I got ABS keycaps since they were so thin.

Offline nden

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 14:19:11 »
Nice review. I can't wait to get mine soon.

Offline indefa

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 28 September 2013, 02:18:48 »
They don't look half bad actually, are those black keys you're comparing with the stock ones? Didn't realize the you could get the poker 2 with black keys rather than grey ones. Wish I could get an all black or red set of these :(

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 28 September 2013, 02:23:39 »

Show Image

holy fffff.... shhhh...

HAHAHAHAHAH

did you manage to fix that?

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #17 on: Sun, 29 September 2013, 19:17:00 »

Show Image

holy fffff.... shhhh...

HAHAHAHAHAH

did you manage to fix that?

Not yet.  Tried resting a TV on it for 2 weeks, it's a little better but still too bent to use.  I'll try the warm water method next.