Author Topic: Need a Taobao Fu expert to explain this keyboard  (Read 3240 times)

Offline sony

• Formerly ultraidiot
Re: Need a Taobao Fu expert to explain this keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 25 February 2017, 05:38:28 »
I believe that is the price for the whole keyboard. I've gotten keyboards off taobao for that cheap and used them as gifts for some friends.

Offline Krakob

• Krakblog
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 25 February 2017, 06:27:16 »
Are those the Outemu dust proof switches? If so, it's a great price for a (arguably) decent keyboard
Ducky Shine 2 (MX Blue, white backlight) • Obins Anne Pro (Gateron Brown) • Model M • XD60

Offline dantan

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 25 February 2017, 06:32:05 »
I honestly don't understand what you are getting. WHOLE keyboard? Are these hot swap PCB with hot swap LEDs? What kind of otemu switches? One of them looks like novatouch or royal kludge Topre imitations to me. And isn't that a double sided PCB which is supposed to be better than a single sided PCB?

Lots of info on that page but I'm waiting for that TP4 guy to explain.

Offline happylacquer

• BS Apologist
    • BHOBuds
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 25 February 2017, 06:38:54 »
I honestly don't understand what you are getting. WHOLE keyboard? Are these hot swap PCB with hot swap LEDs? What kind of otemu switches? One of them looks like novatouch or royal kludge Topre imitations to me. And isn't that a double sided PCB which is supposed to be better than a single sided PCB?

The cheapest ones are no LEDs and your choice of switches.
As they get more expensive, the LEDs get more complex and more fancy addons are available.
You can use a proxy like taobaoring or mistertao to buy taobao stuff to the USA.
Seems pretty hard to find one that does epacket shipping though, which is the best because it's both super cheap and the same exact service as EMS Express.

Offline dantan

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 25 February 2017, 06:52:54 »

As they get more expensive, the LEDs get more complex and more fancy addons are available.
You can use a proxy like taobaoring or mistertao to buy taobao stuff to the USA.
Seems pretty hard to find one that does epacket shipping though, which is the best because it's both super cheap and the same exact service as EMS Express.

Aha, so you mean that the very low price is the base price for the most stripped down outfit. Then as you add switches, add leds, etc it gets more expensive. Makes sense. I was wondering how they could sell a keyboard with everything in their pictures for that price.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 25 February 2017, 10:04:35 »
网咖骚男,    basically means, this keyboard is designed for --net cafe male hipsters--

That's the literal translation. hahahaha  kids these days.

Offline 1391406

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 25 February 2017, 11:24:56 »
Are those the Outemu dust proof switches? If so, it's a great price for a (arguably) decent keyboard

According to the listing, they're dust proof.
Unicomp Classic | Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blues) | IBM Model M (1391401) | IBM XT Model F | IBM AT Model F | Dell AT101W | 122-key IBM Model F
IBM Model M13 | Apple Extended Keyboard | Apple Extended Keyboard II | MTEK K104 | NTC KB-6251/2 | Realforce 87U | Realforce 104U | Type Heaven

Offline sony

• Formerly ultraidiot
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 25 February 2017, 12:34:09 »

Aha, so you mean that the very low price is the base price for the most stripped down outfit. Then as you add switches, add leds, etc it gets more expensive. Makes sense. I was wondering how they could sell a keyboard with everything in their pictures for that price.
They all include switches. Backlighting is extra. It's so cheap because China.

Offline y11971alex

• Looking for Toronto meetup
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 25 February 2017, 12:46:24 »
This keyboard does not allow for LED colour adjustment.  But as far as I could tell, it is for a whole keyboard.  There is also a version that supports changing switches.
Keyboards owned: IBM Selectric | 3278 | 3101 | 5251 | Model F XT | AT | 122 (6110344) | Model M 1390120 | 1390131 | 1391472 | 1392464 (DisplayWriter SSK) | 1395100 (SSK) | Honeywell RD IBM 09F4230 | Leading Edge DC-2014 (Blue Alps) | Chicony 5891 (Monterey Blue) | E&E-101 (KPT Blue) | BTC 5100 | 5100C | 5369 | DEC VT100 (Hi-tek Linear) | Burroughs TP109 (Hall) | Realforce 87 (55g)

Keyboards wanted: IBM Model F 104 (Unsaver) | Model M 1391401

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 25 February 2017, 13:14:44 »
Is there a source for those switches? Are they Cherry compatible? I meant, if they fit in the same PCBs as Cherry SW.

Offline happylacquer

• BS Apologist
    • BHOBuds
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 25 February 2017, 16:31:06 »
Is there a source for those switches? Are they Cherry compatible? I meant, if they fit in the same PCBs as Cherry SW.

Yeah all over taobao. There are more brands of non-Cherry MX clones than you can shake a stick at.

I had a $25 China fake Blue MX board that I'd been using for about 3 years. It still works fine, now it has a rainbow cap set on it, and I gave it to my GF because blues infuriate me.

Offline dantan

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 26 February 2017, 01:20:55 »

Yeah all over taobao. There are more brands of non-Cherry MX clones than you can shake a stick at.

I had a $25 China fake Blue MX board that I'd been using for about 3 years. It still works fine, now it has a rainbow cap set on it, and I gave it to my GF because blues infuriate me.

So you think that with the non-soldered board we can just pull out the non-Cherry switches and substitute our own Cherry switches inside?

Offline sony

• Formerly ultraidiot
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 26 February 2017, 01:37:43 »

So you think that with the non-soldered board we can just pull out the non-Cherry switches and substitute our own Cherry switches inside?
If you do get a hotswap board you may not be able to substitute cherry switches in. It depends on the socket used. For example, the teamwolf board allows for cherry and gateron switches, but the e-element does not.

Offline Andy_Nixeus

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Nixeus Tech, Inc.
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 28 February 2017, 15:19:59 »
this is a very interesting keyboard indeed. Curious how good those dust proof switches are.
I am here to help. So let me help ! =D