Author Topic: Costar stabiliser issue  (Read 4936 times)

Offline emusic

Costar stabiliser issue
« on: Sun, 26 February 2017, 05:19:31 »
I recently ordered an Infinity 60% kit from massdrop and I finished building it today. I seem to have an issue where if I press down on the edges of a stabilised key (other than the space bar) the key clicks in onto that side.

Here is a picture of what happens when I do it with the backspace key.

This issue doesn't seem to occur on one a numpad I have with costar stabilisers.

Is there any way to fix this or is this a common issue?

Offline Tactile

Re: Costar stabiliser issue
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 26 February 2017, 10:19:48 »
There's something wrong with the stabilizer setup or something is broken. Are the stabilizer inserts pulling out of the keycaps?
REΛLFORCE

Offline Tally810

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 26 February 2017, 10:24:44 »
There's something wrong with the stabilizer setup or something is broken. Are the stabilizer inserts pulling out of the keycaps?
Ya gotta take that cap off and get us a picture under there to see what's wrong with the stab

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Offline Tactile

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 26 February 2017, 10:28:03 »
And make sure the stabilizer inserts are installed correctly. They are not symmetric, there's a front and back.
161504-0
« Last Edit: Sun, 26 February 2017, 12:46:48 by Tactile »
REΛLFORCE

Offline Viking_Robot

• Flickr
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 26 February 2017, 13:41:53 »
prob just not seated correctly or reversed like another mentioned.  Thats my guess based on the image.
Current Keyboards - TGR Jane CE WKL Blue Grey | TGR Jane v2 CE | TGR 910 RE | TGR 910 SE | TGR Alice/Police | TGR Tris | Keycult No2 TKL | Keycult No2 65 | Duck Octagon v3 Black | Duck Orion v3 WKL Silver |

Flickr

Offline emusic

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 26 February 2017, 15:07:40 »

Here is how the stabiliser is mounted.
This is the guide I followed;

Offline Tactile

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 26 February 2017, 15:30:11 »
No. You install the inserts into the keycaps and then install the caps. That video is wrong.

REΛLFORCE

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 26 February 2017, 16:06:34 »
That video is wrong.

i've always done it that way, much less hassle

in fact i just took the shifts off my filco to make sure, and it definitely works fine
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Blazestorm

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 26 February 2017, 16:11:39 »
Yep I've always done it the lazy way, rarely had issues. Although I see the logic behind that inserts first method...

Offline Tactile

REΛLFORCE

Offline Tally810

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 26 February 2017, 17:44:13 »
No. You install the inserts into the keycaps and then install the caps. That video is wrong.

I've done it both ways

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 26 February 2017, 17:48:43 »
http://support.wasdkeyboards.com/customer/en/portal/articles/1415061-removing-cherry-mx-keycaps

^ I second this, I've always done it this way.

Another thing to make sure is that sometimes the inserts might be too loose and come off, in that case you can wrap some plumber's type onto the stem to tighten it up.

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline emusic

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 26 February 2017, 23:58:20 »
I have tried it both ways and it occurs on both methods. The stabilised keys work fine, it only happens when I press down with a little force on one end. Still not sure if this is an issue or not ha.

Offline Tactile

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 27 February 2017, 01:30:05 »
I have tried it both ways and it occurs on both methods. The stabilised keys work fine, it only happens when I press down with a little force on one end. Still not sure if this is an issue or not ha.

It sounds like the stabilizer inserts are too loose. Try this.
REΛLFORCE

Offline pomk

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 27 February 2017, 05:06:59 »
The stabilizer bar should be on the side of the LED hole, usually at least. Have you tried to have everything stab related rotated 180 degrees?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 27 February 2017, 10:37:46 »
Are you sure you pressed the cap in all the way ?

Offline Delirious

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 27 February 2017, 18:26:00 »
Shave the living **** out of your stab inserts until they no longer rub against the stabilizer guards.

Offline Tally810

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 27 February 2017, 19:44:34 »
Shave the living **** out of your stab inserts until they no longer rub against the stabilizer guards.

Show Image

Show Image

That's neat

Offline emusic

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 28 February 2017, 03:49:29 »
The issue was indeed that the costar insert was too loose into the GMK keycaps. I fixed this by cutting tiny squares off a bit of thin plastic and pushing the inserts into the keycap with the plastic ontop to make a tighter fit. Seems to be no issues anymore!

Offline wodan

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 28 February 2017, 03:54:05 »
That's a known issue with those piece of **** Costar stabilizers.

Funny thing, there are TWO kinds of wires that come with these stabilizers. If the wire is completely FLAT on the table, you will not have issues with ORIGINAL CHERRY KEYCAPS ... but if you stab wire has his little "bent part" standing up from the table, you will get this god forsaken rubbing.

Newer revisions of I:C keyboards come with the "flat" Costar wire, Switchtop is also selling those with flat wires.

The only other solution is to carve out a thin layer on the inside of the keycap - as you did.