Author Topic: Question on Cherry mx  (Read 1123 times)

Offline Dimanor3

Question on Cherry mx
« on: Sun, 12 April 2015, 14:12:44 »
Hey guys, I'm still considering between cherry mx green and blue, not sure which one I want, nor have I tried either of the two as I don't have access to either of them. I currently prefer cherry mx green as it makes more noise than cherry mx blue, however I'm still not certain about the 80 cN actuation force verses the 50 cN actuation force of the blue. I have pretty heavy fingers as it currently is, so I'm kinda leaning towards the cherry mx green, what do you guys think?

Thanks for your help ahead of time ;3

Offline Latin00032

• * Destiny Supporter
Re: Question on Cherry mx
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 12 April 2015, 14:19:44 »
These are the classic tough questions to answer.

You really need to try them both for yourself.

I've tried both. I prefer blue.

I do have a green and blue mx keyboard.

I actually enjoy switching between both.

In the end I'd think blue is safer because if I type for about an hour on greens my fingers start to get tired.

My opinion. Many other people on gh will have different opinions.

Ps. Quick tip! Be careful with using clicky switches in certain dusty environments. You can lose the click noise. The switch will activate but there won't be a click.

Offline Syntheticdr3ams

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 12 April 2015, 14:25:28 »
I would suggest getting a switch tester Amazon or WASD, either way worth $15 if you you are serious about getting a board, because clicky keyboards are not for everyone over a long period of time...they just get louder the more you use... not for you, for everyone else. Either way...I personally like the greens better, I think they are a little bit louder than blues but not an extreme amount, but I just like the heavier switch. Also remember that with greens or blues you will be loud... especially in a quiet room, or even someone trying to talk to you, so if you like me where I do a lot of late night typing then I would lean towards brown or clears and get a 2nd keyboard with Greens or blues, which is what I've done and works out pretty well.  Good luck!

Offline Den441

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 12 April 2015, 14:27:14 »
I think a lot of people look at that number "80cN", and think that it is too heavy for them. I did as well till I tried them. I do not find them to be that heavy at all, and I think I have pretty weak hands myself. In fact, I find blues to be too light. Greens just seem to have that extra snap to them....almost like buckling springs. If you have ever used an old IBM keyboard with buckling springs and liked them, you will most likely prefer greens.
Custom Wrist Rests, Artisan Keycaps, and more - http://battlestation.io

Sales Thread - https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=74835.0

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 12 April 2015, 14:28:32 »
Of course you can get a buckling spring and be happy.
Edit: Welcome to Geekhack!

Offline illitirit

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 13 April 2015, 04:56:28 »
I am a green lover.  My gf has a blue keyboard which I absolutely beat the s*** out of because of how used I am to greens.

Blues are honestly way too light for me.  Greens feel like a medium switch to me.  I will be purchasing some greys in the near future because I just love stiff switches.

If you game often however I probably would say that blues > greens.  However, If your a casual gamer like myself then greens are perfectly fine.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 13 April 2015, 06:24:35 »
If you lift bro, ur not going find either switch too heavy.

The green will feel more gritty then the blue when Brand new because more energy of the stroke is used up overcoming the spring force, leaving less power to overcome friction.

But overtime they will feel equally smooth.